All things DOOM

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
AndyKurosaki

Re: DooM - All things DooM

Post by AndyKurosaki »

That'll be annoying, as the article says there's no mod support for the BFG Edition. Bethesda sure knows how to make people happy....

Played 3 more hours of this, I loved it when playing the Xbox Backwards Compatable version on 360, and it's still fun. One slight annoyance is not being able to "hot-key" weapons, but then swapping through to the gun you want while in combat adds to the tension a bit.
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

I guess it is up to Id, but it is a strange new situation that digital services present.

I suspect it will go back on quietly in a few months, but at the moment they don't want confusion with people getting the wrong version (and more likely) they don't want people to see a cheaper option for what will be a very similar experience.

Anyone that already has Doom 3 on Steam can still re-download and install.
Toffer

Post by Toffer »

Last year I replayed the original Doom and Doom 2. Doom 2 is my personal favourite from the series due to the inclusion of an extra couple of weapons and a more varied level design. I've played and did enjoy Doom 3 but never really been compelled to replay it.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

An update on the DOOM 3 'classic' on Steam thing (in short: it'll be back): http://www.giantbomb.com/news/vanilla-d ... gain/4429/
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

It feels like Id are in a pretty bad place at the moment. All this stuff going on with Steam, BFG version not reviewing well, Carmack apologising for Rage at his keynote.

What would we really want from a Doom 4 now?

I also finished Rage recently, and it really was a weirdly put together game, I think they need a pretty big change up.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

Well Doom 4 *is* in development. The problem Rage had is that people were really hung up on what was bad, not what was great, as a result people have the assumption that its worse than it actually is, many come out after playing it and say "it's actually pretty good".
The one mistake they made was in MP where id are known for delivering brilliant FPS combat, and, for lack of a better term, sold out with the core element being the one thing most roundly criticised about it.
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

Well, I'm fresh off of playing Rage for the first time, and no it isn't awful.

The core shooting and combat is fun (although fairly straight forward), and the game looked great, especially considering what they eeked out of the aging Xbox.

But the rest of the game seemed pretty misguided, like they felt the need to drop in things because other games have them. A pointless crafting system, a bad driving side game and a story they didn't really have time to finish! It probably sounds more harsh than it should, at some level I had fun and I did finish the game so something kept me coming back.

I think the best thing about Rage is Id Tech 5 - if they can do some refining of that, but spend most of their time working on the actual game instead of building an engine Doom 4 stands a chance?
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

Definitely, that engine is a powerhouse for what id want, Doom 4 will look spectacular.

The issue I had with Rage is that it should have had just one difficulty, Nightmare. It doesn't cheapen the game with tougher enemies/weaker weapons, it merely enhances the AI, so you play more carefully. It's not hard (I think I died twice, total) and anyone could complete it and it moved the combat from good to great.

But yes, the points you made are legitimate criticisms, I just feel people are a little over critical, especially when something like the driving, as awful as it is, is such a minor part of the game (you only have to do two I believe).

I think they certainly lost focus and as a result, identity, during development.
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

I certainly had fun with Rage, though it's not on Doom's level of quality it's still worth a playthrough. It utterly falls apart at the end though.
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Finished off the new Lost Mission, it's pretty good. Lasts about 3 hours, slightly less than the 4 hours 30 mins I finished Resurrection Of Evil. Both have a terrible ending :lol:
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

So, this got my attention when it was first announced. I couldn't stop thinking about it and now I've just pre-ordered Wolfenstein The New Order mostly to play it. Nobody knows (outside of Bethesda, I guess) what the bloody hell it is. Either way, give me it.

Part of me wants it to be what MegaMan 10 did and literally go back to its roots, aesthetically but if they're gonna give me another Doom game, i'm more than willing to ... well, buy it!
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Yeah, I'm always well up for Doom, so bring it on.
manofmanybadaliases

Post by manofmanybadaliases »

i quite liked Doom 64, to be honest i think it's aged better than some of the more well known N64 FPS games.

Plus i love brooding dark ambinet score the game had, it seemed to emphasis the further you went on the more 'hellish' the landscape became.
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

I'm guessing the online component will be the big thing about the new Doom, seing as they are getting people involved with a Beta? How would that fit in with the monsters do you think?

Maybe they go L4D style and make it co-op?
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

I'd have thought it would be straight up, Marines only deathmatches as always. But I could be wrong...
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

Yeah, it'll just make less sense these days, in terms of why they're fighting other marines. I mean who cares, really, but I just have a hunch mulitplayer will be the focus rather than single player, so I wonder if they will get the monsters involved somehow?

I'm hoping they don't over think it like I just did though, and just concentrate on making it fun.

What line are people hoping they take? Old school fast shooting, or more modern class based?
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

manofmanybadaliases wrote:i quite liked Doom 64, to be honest i think it's aged better than some of the more well known N64 FPS games.

Plus i love brooding dark ambinet score the game had, it seemed to emphasis the further you went on the more 'hellish' the landscape became.
DooM 64 is ace! It should've been called DooM 3, really. (I like the actual DooM 3)
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

I can't see them putting the monsters into the multiplayer myself. Doom's multiplayer has always been simple "you're a marine, shoot the other marines, the end". Extremely fun, so that would do me.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

DooM fans! Rejoice!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014- ... alled-doom
It will have double-jumping!

Multiplayer will be "fast paced and competitive," according to Rock, Paper, Shotgun.

Weapon-switching is handled via a radial menu that slows down time when you select it. Executive producer Marty Stratton noted in Polygon's report that "You can carry all [weapons] at the same time,"

The series staple double-barrel shotgun, chainsaw, rocket launcher and rapid-fire plasma rifle have returned.

There won't be regenerating health.

"Melee combat is a big part of the new DooM
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

I could be into that!