Can You Suggest... RPGs with Mature Themes

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Todinho

Re: Can You Suggest... RPGs with Mature Themes

Post by Todinho »

Flabyo wrote: Your guy isn't directly involved in that side of the story, his story weaves in and out of whats going on, but the political stuff is vital to the plot and much more a part of the game than it is in, say, FF12.
Man everytime I think about FF12 and how we shoud've gotten essetially FFT 2 I die a little bit inside but this reminds me another RPG worth trying out might be Vagrant Story I only played a little bit of it so I cant make any great judgements but it seemed to be going to interesting places as the gameplay it's the same as Parasite Eve but with swords and magic.

To anwser your question about persona the set-up is pretty standart and you have your regular cast of highschool kids with issues trying to save the world but in the second half of the game the theme of identity really starts coming together,the best way I can describe it without spoiling too much and explaning it's imagine the dungeons in persona 4 but only the whole game is that concept expanded it's a bit weird but once you wrap your head around it I think it's pretty interesting,the game also reminds me a bit of the work of Satoshi Kon so that's always a plus ;)
arry_g

Post by arry_g »

Todinho wrote:another RPG worth trying out might be Vagrant Story
Now, this one I played back in the day. I imagine I am one of a few who did as the game reviewed well but did not get much attention, at least it didn't here in the UK.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Yeah that's a shame and it's also the reason FF12 turned out like it did but Im one to say the game is still on my backlog and barely made any progress XD
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Pillars of Eternity:Children of Men meets Planescape Torment meets Baldurs Gate
arry_g

Post by arry_g »

Todinho wrote:Pillars of Eternity:Children of Men meets Planescape Torment meets Baldurs Gate
Do you mind (without going into too much detail) letting me know what mature topics Pillars touches on?
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

It explores similar themes to planescape in the sense that it's about people trying to find closure and that gets into a whole existencial debate that goes throught the whole game which includes the whole Children of Men theme I said,once you get into the world and understand it's mechanics you come to realize why the existencial debate is a bit different then what you expect,without spoiling much just to give you a sense of what these questions are about
Spoiler: show
A world where Reincarnation is a proven fact and people can remember those past lifes and so are the gods
the most interesting aspects of it appear mostly on the second half but it's stuff like that,I think it's interesting the way they aproach that it's not really what I expected to see from a fantasy game like this,it doenst go quite as deep as Planescape but it's still pretty good