Adventures in DIY arcade building

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
KSubzero1000
Guardian

Re: Adventures in DIY arcade building

Post by KSubzero1000 » April 21st, 2017, 12:41 pm

That looks really cool! Are the systems being properly ventilated, though? You of all people should know the old 360 will use every excuse in the book to overheat whenever it can. :D

Joshihatsumitsu
Guardian

Post by Joshihatsumitsu » April 21st, 2017, 1:40 pm

KSubzero1000 wrote:
April 21st, 2017, 12:41 pm
That looks really cool! Are the systems being properly ventilated, though? You of all people should know the old 360 will use every excuse in the book to overheat whenever it can. :D
Very true! The third model I bought, and used in that little cab, is the very unexciting in design but practical E model. My original obviously suffer from the old red-ring syndrome (but replaced for free minus postage). Then I bought the beautiful S model, which got fried when the TV aerial of my group of units got directly struct by lightning (along with other consoles... so many lost save files :( ). And finally the conservative yet reliable E model.

And I think because its the E model ventilation is not too bad. But maybe luck is a factor too. :D

Michiel K
Master Rahool

Post by Michiel K » April 22nd, 2017, 11:00 pm

ratsoalbion wrote:
February 11th, 2017, 10:16 pm
That last one in particular is a wonderful picture!
Agreed.

Joshihatsumitsu
Guardian

Post by Joshihatsumitsu » May 24th, 2017, 6:08 am

Maybe it's the boredom of my day-job that's driving me, but I've decided to create another cab - a cocktail cab this time around.

Another motivating factor is that the screens on the two cabs I've built so far are both horizontally orientated, so if I were to do something stupidly impulsive, like say buy a Taito F3 PCB of Twin Cobra II by Takuma, I would get the following result:

So as you can see, motivation for a vertically orientated cocktail cab is now provided.

I won't start building anything until after my August trip to Japan, but I can start doing research and planning out the design.

And I'm planning to blatantly steal this design from another DIY'er from Melbourne - link here - which is based on a Nintendo cocktail design. I'll have to make my own variations too, as the hardware I'll use will be different to his.

So I'll update in here occasionally as I go along. There will be many hurdles, and obstacles, but like I said, I am bored, and this keeps my idle hands busy. :D

Suits
Guardian

Post by Suits » May 24th, 2017, 8:08 am

Cool man, that looks great fun.

That Nintendo cocktail cabinet looks fantastic, I love that colour way - I very nearly bought a Nintendo DK cab a while back but backed out after the selling started getting weird when I started asking about original parts.

I swear, if I had the space, I'd have a few of these. Especially a glass topped cocktail cab.
Xbox - Suits
PSN - Suterovich
Nintendo Switch - SW-0866-4803-1890
N3DS - 5370-1662-1949

ratsoalbion
Vanguard

Post by ratsoalbion » May 24th, 2017, 8:16 am

Great project!

Joshihatsumitsu
Guardian

Post by Joshihatsumitsu » May 27th, 2017, 12:41 am

At the risk of turning this into a personal blog, I'll just keep this entry brief.

I thought I'd just share some of my cabinet sketches, not because they're great (because they're not), but to demonstrate that you don't have to be the best designer, artist, carpenter, programmer, etc, to take on a project like this. In other words: I've never let a lack of talent stop me from trying something! :D

First sketch, very rough, just a starting point to get some idea of size, space etc:

This one was based on the Donkey Kong Cocktail cab, and in terms of cutting panels it would be very straightforward. After some Instagram critical feedback about legroom (which is a fair point), I tried another variation:

In an ideal world, I would be able to source the type of metal T-legs that were on Taito's original Space Invaders cocktail cab. In the real world, where I live on a geographically isolated country like Australia, that type of hardware would be hard to find, and probably not come cheap.

Like I said previously, I won't be doing any building until at least September onwards, so there's plenty of time for revisions and problem solving.

So yeah, never let a lack of talent prevent you from taking projects on.

Suits
Guardian

Post by Suits » May 27th, 2017, 6:57 am

Yeah, good shout regards the leg room on the first design - I'd have not seen that myself.

Good work.
Xbox - Suits
PSN - Suterovich
Nintendo Switch - SW-0866-4803-1890
N3DS - 5370-1662-1949

Joshihatsumitsu
Guardian

Post by Joshihatsumitsu » June 6th, 2017, 2:14 am

I purchased a second hand control panel that once belonged on a Sega Aero City Candy cab:

It was in pretty good condition with Sanwa sticks and buttons, with only one button that really needs replacing. This should cut down on a little bit of building, plus it's much easier to replace parts or conduct any future maintenance.

Doing a bit of design research, to figure out ways to build around this purchase, I came across the Sega Aero Table. It is so ugly, yet, I cannot look away... it's not elegant, yet it has a strange appeal.

But I have developed a new love: The Jaleco TablePony:

I mean, really, how 1980's-futuristicly beautiful is this thing?

ratsoalbion
Vanguard

Post by ratsoalbion » June 6th, 2017, 4:44 am

Lovely!

I strongly associate cocktail units with certain titles, mainly late 70s/very early 80s stuff (Asteroids, Galaxian, Pac-Man) that I remember seeing in bars when taken for smoky evenings out back as a nipper.

There are at least a handful of MAME cocktails in pubs in and around Brighton these days anyway.

Flabyo
Guardian

Post by Flabyo » June 6th, 2017, 8:56 am

Friend of mine has a Robotron Cocktail cabinet.

He bought it as new. Bunch of them were turned up in a warehouse, still in their original boxes.

It's a lovely thing.

Joshihatsumitsu
Guardian

Post by Joshihatsumitsu » June 7th, 2017, 12:13 am

In the last month a new arcade opened up in Brisbane (or Bris-Vegas to the locals) called 1UP Arcade. It'll be interesting to see how they survive business-wise.

And in Melbourne, hipster-capital of Australia (and the city I'd easily recommend over Sydney), there are a few bars with similar MAME cocktail cabs. I imagine it would be a similar set-up to what they have in Brighton?

And in Sydney... uh... there's pokies and Keno? They're kind like gaming? Right?

Edit: I'm being harsh on Sydney, the closet capital to where I reside. After all, they do offer flights to better cities, like Melbourne and Bris-Vegas. ;)