The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
James

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by James »

Craig wrote: May 23rd, 2017, 11:46 pm As for the Rabbids game - gets an almighty shrug from me. I really don't enjoy the Rabbids characters, but I guess someone out there does.
I think we'd all be surprised just how popular Rabbids are with certain gamers (kids especially). Fair to say that they have a generally poor reputation amongst older/serious/hardcore gamers, but I can't help think of the backlash that greeted the Minions film a couple of years back.
Suits

Post by Suits »

James wrote: May 25th, 2017, 10:58 am
Craig wrote: May 23rd, 2017, 11:46 pm As for the Rabbids game - gets an almighty shrug from me. I really don't enjoy the Rabbids characters, but I guess someone out there does.
I think we'd all be surprised just how popular Rabbids are with certain gamers (kids especially). Fair to say that they have a generally poor reputation amongst older/serious/hardcore gamers, but I can't help think of the backlash that greeted the Minions film a couple of years back.
I'm generally quite optimistic about something like this Rabbid's crossover game.

After having found myself under the older/serious/hardcore gamer bracket for the last decade, I found myself pigeonholed into a drab, samey genre of games that simply included only serious RGP/FPS titles.

I then widened my brackets somewhat to include, or at least try games that I had personally passed off as silly or kids games.

It’s been the last three or four years that I’ve totally fallen back in love with gaming again.

Therefore, I’m literally up for anything nowadays.
Suits

Post by Suits »

HORI have announced some new Switch controllers that will be available from July.

Ones a fight stick and the other a much cheaper Pro Controller with a clever, interchangeable, D-Pad system.

http://nintendoeverything.com/hori-swit ... d-in-july/
Craig

Post by Craig »

James wrote: May 25th, 2017, 10:58 am
Yeah, I'd say the Minions comparisons are fairly apt. I can't stand them, and the feeling seems mutual to most of the circles I run in, but they're hugely successful. I'm at the point in my life now though where it's easy enough just to shrug and accept that someone gets joy out of it, so it's not for me but whatever.
James

Post by James »

Suits wrote: May 25th, 2017, 1:37 pm HORI have announced some new Switch controllers that will be available from July.

Ones a fight stick and the other a much cheaper Pro Controller with a clever, interchangeable, D-Pad system.

http://nintendoeverything.com/hori-swit ... d-in-july/
Finally, a release date! The HORI pro controller looked, in the original artwork, like it might have a rubberised, circular d-pad. Can't really tell from the picture in that link, but will be interested to find out.
The fightstick is the same as their existing RAP IV (RAP V in Japan), which is a very, very good stick. Given the number of 2D fighting games now on the Switch, it's a welcome addition. I'm just hoping that these are more readily available over here than HORI products often are.
Craig wrote: May 25th, 2017, 3:17 pm I'm at the point in my life now though where it's easy enough just to shrug and accept that someone gets joy out of it, so it's not for me but whatever.
Yeah, pretty much my response too. I really hope that it's a great game, and that fans of Rabbids and Mario are nothing but thrilled with it.
Suits

Post by Suits »

ThirdMan wrote: May 25th, 2017, 5:07 pm Cheers! I'll definitely take you up on that offer at some stage.

Yeah it's gonna be survival mode for me. I haven't a creative bone in my body so I'd be wasting my time trying to build anything even remotely sophisticated. I'd much prefer wandering around battling against the environment and crafting what I need to keep moving.

One of my main concerns when buying the game is that the overall aesthetic would stop me from becoming fully immersed in the world. And to a certain extent that's been the case so far. However I had a quick session earlier and I was quite taken with some of the topography on show, so much so that I had to get closer and see it up close. That, in a nutshell, is what I want from this game. Quite simply, a desire to keep walking around and seeing new things.
No problem man, just add me with my details in my signature and either message me when you fancy a poke around ;) , or just jump in if you see me online.

It'll be a bit tricky without voice chat but I can show you around and you'll see what's possible and what other realms exist in the game.

Regards the aesthetic of the game, yes, a lot of people struggle with how it looks, I love it, it's timeless and looks great to my eyes.

I run a texture pack on my world that is the closest to Sphax texture pack that I used to se on the PC version, which buffs the visuals a bit.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Monster Hunter has been announced for the Switch it seems :) .

http://nintendoeverything.com/monster-h ... to-switch/
Craig

Post by Craig »

Yesssss. I live in Japan, so it's not as much of an issue, but Switch being region free means everyone can enjoy too. Though possibly with a translation guide at hand. A lot of the game you can likely make do without, but the gear screen will take a while to get round in another language.

Unless... they release a translation. Which could be an E3 announcement.
James

Post by James »

Do you think it'll matter that this was originally a 3DS game? I know 4 and Generations were too, and were great, but I wonder how many people were hoping for a MH designed for Switch, rather than ported from 3DS.
Suits

Post by Suits »

James wrote: May 26th, 2017, 11:08 am Do you think it'll matter that this was originally a 3DS game? I know 4 and Generations were too, and were great, but I wonder how many people were hoping for a MH designed for Switch, rather than ported from 3DS.
Good question, one that sprung to my mind also while I was reading the article.

Going off Nintendo’s current approach and the reception that those titles have received – I doubt they are too concerned.

But you’re probably correct in saying that a lot of people would have been hoping for a fresh new title for the fresh new system, just like they did for Mario Kart.
James

Post by James »

Yeah, it also helps that MHXX hasn't come to 3DS over here. I certainly think it'll do very well, and possibly whet Switch owners' appetites for a new Switch-only MH, whenever that arrives. More info on Saturday! :-)
Craig

Post by Craig »

I think if it looks sharp enough (and those models are most definitely future proofed) I don't think too many will mind. People will see it as the first HD Monster Hunter since MH3U.

That said, Generations didn't seem to make as much of an impression as MH4U in the West, so who knows.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Holy crap. 5% boost in share value since this announcement. MHX was my first MH game and I started to really get into it. I dropped it after thirty hours or so just because I felt it was almost too deep, I'd have to ignore a load of other games. Anyway, I'll be getting this defo.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Real talk: I just had more fun with USF2 online than with a year of SFV. Violent Ken is glorious, that slide and glide. Love it.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Sooo, Monster Hunter XX with have crossplay between itself and the 3DS, transferable saves and a Limited Edition Switch console (or dock at least).

Pretty cool stuff and more than anything (to me anyway) shows that Nintendo are able too and are actively, going to be doing this sort of thing with its big 3DS titles.

Surely Pokemon Sun/Moon will be next to get this treatment.
Craig

Post by Craig »

Apparently the console itself will be special too, but they didn't show that.

I was a bit underwhelmed by the graphics, but all things considered it looks pretty decent. Also side by side the difference really shows.

Really reminds me of the PS2 HD remasters we saw on PS3.
James

Post by James »

Stanshall wrote: May 26th, 2017, 8:49 pm Real talk: I just had more fun with USF2 online than with a year of SFV. Violent Ken is glorious, that slide and glide. Love it.
Really glad to hear, Stanshall. I'm eager to play this, and by all accounts the fighting is top notch. I've also heard it looks lovely in handheld mode - something I can't wait to see. Sadly, I'm going to have to.

I wish Capcom had either dropped the price, or made it a bulletproof definitive version of SFII. Being able to toggle art (and backgrounds too, unlike HDRemix) is great, but the HUD doesn't also change to the original style? Likewise, being able to select music/sounds independently of art is great, but why not also give us the original announcer, and allow sound effects and music to be toggled separately from one-another?

I might accept the lack of full customisation of art and sound if you could toggle on-the-fly (via pause menu if necessary), but it seems you have to quit out to the main menu to achieve this?

And some of the new stage art lacks background animation or specific details? Come on, Capcom!

The excellent dip switches and hitbox mode from HDRemix are absent, I gather. I knew David Sirlin's balance changes from HDRemix had been dropped in favour of new Capcom ones, but why not offer us the choice of playing different variants of SFII, like USFIV did (with Edition Select Mode).

One or the other, Capcom; either give us the bells and whistles of a definitive version, or pare the package down in the name of fluidity and making Ultra it's own flavour of SFII. It seems like they went for the latter, but charged for the former. Just my two cents' worth.

I know I'm being a terrible nitpick, but there's a reason that Capcom called this 'Ultra Street Fighter II', and are charging £35/$40 for it. To me, it should be, as I said, bulletproof.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I can't disagree with any of that, although I never played any SF between SF2 and SF4, which I was into in a big way. I'm happy enough for them to have another look at the balance, while taking into account previous work and perspectives. I think that's sensible. For something supposedly definitive, though, the customisation is - as you say - a little off the mark.

The 'new' style graphics look fantastic on the portable mode and animated characters in the background look suitably fun. Some of the flat textures are a bit lifeless and simplistic, though, it's true, and especially on the telly.

I'm not a hardcore SF2 fan (as I am with SF4)but I played a lot as a kid on the SNES and this is a deeper, more fun version of that, for me. I love the Super moves, the extended roster and the slightly expanded movesets. I understand that all of these additions came in the PS2 era (right?) but for me, they've added a bit more complexity to it. I'm also loving having my rushdown Ken back, with that sexy glide through projectiles and crossing people up on the ground. He's a proper glass cannon, so exciting.

I got it via the US eShop so it was about thirty quid. A tenner cheaper and I'd say it's essential.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Man, that HORI Splatoon 2 headseat (as fine with the actual product is) just confirms that we'll all need smartphones connected to our Switch's to play with voice chat.

I mean, I know we all knew this anyway but FML the thought of it and the handheld diagram pains me.

I'm sure the actual logistics of it won't be as bad as I'm feeling it will now but what a mess compared to the other systems.

I think we're going to have to look at it in the manner of;

"How cool would it be to have voice chat on these games, oh look, there's an app to allow us to do exactly that !!"
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I've thought about this for months and concluded that it's just fucking stupid.