Games Completed 2018

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Pitwar

Re: Games Completed 2018

Post by Pitwar »

Oh very much so, especially with how abruptly the ending came about.

Like you say, some of the bigger more interesting areas are completely wasted as you kind of just walk through them, whereas the corridors and your room are where most of the game takes place.

It definitely felt like there was a much bigger game to be made, but for whatever reason they only got so far and called it a day.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Feb – Destiny 2 (Xbox One X)
Feb – Snake Pass (Switch)
Mar – NBA Playgrounds (Switch)

Apr – Assassin’s Creed Origins (Xbox One X)

I finally made it to the end of AC Origins over the weekend. My final play time clocked in at just over 40 hours, with 74 quests completed. I’d say that’s probably a midrange effort for the game as I didn’t exactly mainline it all the way and had a good wander about, but equally there’s still an insane amount left to do and entire areas of the map I’ve not visited.

So starting with the positives, the game is truly beautiful. I may be playing on Xbox One X on a decent 4K HDR telly but even without that I can’t imagine the game looks anything less that pretty spectacular whatever your platform of choice. The level of visual detail and the scale of the world they’ve created is simply extraordinary and I frequently found myself taking a moment to stop and stare both at the incredible vistas when at a high vantage point, as well as the crowded streets when in one of the many bustling towns and cities.

Aside from the visuals the core mechanics and systems of the game itself are solid and well implemented, with responsive controls and satisfying combat gameplay linked into a well thought out RPG back-end with levelling, skill trees, crafting, and multiple weapon classes with varying strengths, weaknesses and buffs. All good stuff.

Props too for some of the characters portrayed on screen. The main characters have certainly had a huge amount of time spent on the models and animation, and they look truly lovely, while the performances from the voice cast are certainly in the upper tier of videogame VO work.

On the flip side to all this the narrative, that starts off quite intriguing and gripping, really lost my attention by the end due to what felt like the padding and convolution of essentially a pretty straight forward through line. Also, having praised the execution of the main characters, the next tier down and beyond were little more than filler clearly voiced by a relatively small pool of actors putting on a generic Egyptian or Roman twang, making much of the extended cast feel like an identikit bunch of nobodies in need of generic help. This is compounded by the fact they’re all based on an equally small pool of character models with nothing but occasional hair and outfit swaps for differentiation. When such attention has been lavished elsewhere it can shatter the illusion somewhat to jump from side quest to side quest seemingly helping out the same bloke with a new haircut!

My biggest problem with the game though is unfortunately linked into one of its biggest strengths – the world. Yes it’s beautiful, epic in scale, and seemingly packed with detail, but it becomes quite apparent quite quickly that it’s all largely skin deep. In a post-Witcher 3 world, where that game’s beauty, scale and detail is matched in equal measure by extraordinary levels of depth in everything from main quests to side quests to mini games to narrative to interactivity and beyond, AC Origins just feels a bit hollow. You can’t really talk to anyone who you’re not absolutely supposed to talk to. You can’t really interact with much that isn’t supposed to be interacted with. It’s all just wallpaper. Incredibly detailed, ornate wallpaper that’s so stunning even just looking at it is often enough enjoyment in itself, but after 40 hours that effect does wear off somewhat.

Now you could say that AC is essentially an action game franchise and shouldn’t be compared to a heavy duty RPG such as the Witcher, but Ubisoft really invites these comparisons by straying firmly into the latter’s territory here. The world is as big (if not bigger) in AC Origins, the combat isn’t dissimilar in some ways bar the lack magic and less interesting enemies, and the game is essentially an RPG now with the systems they’ve put into it and the amount of time you’re required to put in to see the end of the story alone.

I don’t want to sound too down on Origins as overall it is a very good videogame, and if you like the franchise then this is probably the best entry in it, but unfortunately for Ubisoft it’s taken the series in a direction where it opens itself up to unfavourable comparisons with much better games. Overall I’m glad I played AC Origins, but unless I hear they’ve either stripped it back to a tighter scope or properly expanded it to truly compete with the Witchers of the world, I’m not sure I’ll returning for another game in the series any time soon.

PS. Sorry I didn't realise that was so bloody long :roll:
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

I tip my hat to you for playing a game like assassins creed the way that you have. I have stopped playing Ubisoft open world games in general because I get dragged into the fetch quests and pointless collectible hunts. It means a considerable amount of time doing nothing of value so the story beats are so spread out that I lose track of what is going on.

I still remember something like the world about end or some such nonsense and me running off collecting floating bits of paper and feathers for hours and hours and hours. The world didn’t end.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Dead Space (PS3)

Phew. That dragged a bit at the end, there's nothing worse than hearing something like 'Ok just get to the shuttle and we're out of here! Wait....someone has removed the shuttle's navigation core. You'll need to find three key cards..."

Excellent game, though I was ploughing through the ammo by the end and never got the final suit upgrade (before the military suit). Did the whole thing with only the plasma cutter, so got the One Gun trophy.

Would be interested to hear what KSub made of it, does it deserve its reputation as the most talented child of Resident Evil 4?
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Yay! I actually finished a game this year! :P

Finally got all six ending to Stein's;Gate 0 on the Vita. And I've said it before and I'll say it again: if you haven't played the first game, then you'll be totally lost here! And if you've already played and loved the first game, then yeah, dig in. Chances are, you already have.

It does a pretty good job of being a sequel, in that it is not simply repeating the same story over and over again. And as good as it is, like most sequels, it's not really necessary. It expands on the world and the characters, and I ultimately loved revisiting this world, but yeah, I'm a fan.

There were some translation mistakes, and I mean tiny mistakes, and it's things like "you" when the sentence clearly meant "your". It's 99% right, but those little mistakes kinda stick out when everything else is done so very, very well. Not a deal-breaker, and it could be interpreted as pedantic, but it's worth mentioning.

And the voice acting, like the first game, is sooooo fantastic. Fantastic to the point of forgetting that this is a game, with voice actors. I just hear the characters speak, and it always feels organic, and invisible, in that I'm to invested to be self-aware to the artifice of the medium, of scripting, of acting, of the recording techniques, of editing everything together.

So yeah, if there was a third, unnecessary game in this series, I'd still dive in. It's all about the characters and the world.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

Spoiler: show
10/02 - Final Fantasy II (PS Vita)
04/30 - Yoshi's Woolly World (Wii U)
10/03 - Celeste (Switch)
10/03 - Monster Hunter World (PS4)
13/03 - Bioshock: Infinite - Burial at Sea Episode 2
17/03 - Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (PS Vita)
13/04 - Final Fantasy III (PS Vita)
23/04 - God of War (PS4)

Almost forgot to post this!

I'm actually liking this more and more since finishing the campaign.

Favourite entry since 2.
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Jan 7 - Bleed (PC)
Jan 19 - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch)
Feb 11 - Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)
Feb 28 - Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition (PC)
Mar 8- Final Fantasy III (PSVita - PSP version)
Mar 21 - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Switch) Three stars on all 150cc cups.
Mar 24 - Golf Story (Switch)
Apr 2 - Nier: Automata (PS4)
Apr 23 - Yakuza Kiwami (PS4)
Thankfully these Kiwami remakes mean I'll actually get around to the first two games in the series (in a way). Its not as good as 5 or 0, but then that's a very high bar for me. I did enjoy it more than 3 though.

It was pretty cool finally seeing where Kiryu's (in-universe) legend status starts from.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Minit (PS4)

Most of the games in my queue are third-person shooters, it seems, so I was scrolling through the PS Store looking for something different last night and saw this.

It's an....action-rpg at a stretch but really a puzzle game... in which your character dies and resurrects back at home every 60 seconds. In that 60 seconds you can make meaningful progress, either by exploring the map, fighting an enemy, or discovering an item that you can use elsewhere (you keep items you find from one life to another). It's really well done, and you can surprisingly get a lot done in 60 seconds. You can discover new bases as you go along which means you're not always just hoofing it from the start to your destination. The puzzles and game are quite amusing, a lot of it the humour and tension being dependent on that 60 seconds countdown - do I have time to get this done, come on NPC, hurry it up etc.

Finished the game in 104 minutes, with 134 deaths :)

A very entertaining amuse-bouche.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

06 Jan: Resident Evil: Director's Cut (PAL PS1 on PS3)
09 Feb: Final Fantasy II (GBA)
16 Feb: Resident Evil 2 (NTSC PS1 on PS3)
26 Feb: Yoshi's Woolly World (WU)
09 Mar: BioShock Infinite (PC)
10 Mar: BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea - Episode One (PC)
12 Mar: BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea - Episode Two (PC)
18 Mar: Shadow Complex Remastered (PC)
19 Mar: Splatoon (WU)
29 Mar: Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (NTSC PS1 on PS3)
06 Apr: Actual Sunlight (Vita)
08 Apr: Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (PS4)
27 Apr: God of War (PS4)
Got caught up in the buzz and bought it digitally on day one for £52.
No regrets; thoroughly entertaining, astounding production values, although disappointingly - as with every game I’ve played in this franchise - the story had virtually no emotional impact on me whatsoever.
MajorGamer

Post by MajorGamer »

Jan 1 - Neon Chrome (PC)
Jan 2 - Dispersio (PC)
Jan 9 - Numbus (PC)
Jan 11 - Hero Siege (PC)
Jan 14 - Castle of no Escape 2 (PC)
Jan 20 - Toy Odyssey (PC)
Jan 23 - 20XX (PC)
Jan 25 - Battle Chef Brigade (Switch)
Jan 29 - Kamiko (Switch)
Feb 1 - Guild of Dungeoneering (PC)
Feb 3 - KByte (PC)
Feb 7 - Cat Quest (Switch)
Feb 11 - DYE (PC)
Mar 7 - The End is Nigh (Switch)
Mar 10 - Shadow Warrior 2 (PC)
Mar 16 - The Keep (PC)
Mar 17 - The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky the 3rd (PC)
Mar 18 - Hue (PC)
Mar 22 - Song of the Deep (PC)
Mar 28 - Metro: 2033 Redux (PC)
Apr 4 - Blossom Tales: The Sleeping King (Switch)
Apr 6 - Xeodrifter (Switch)
Apr 8 - Has-Been Heroes (Switch)
Apr 14 - Slime-san (Switch)
Apr 20 - ReThink (PC)
Apr 22 - Little King's Story (PC)

I need to mention the port quality before starting. Durante attempted to fix this one as it launched in poor condition. He even made a post on it that the code is a complete mess. It ends up being serviceable but don't touch the 60 FPS mode. Game logic is tied to FPS (stop doing that) so the game runs faster if you do and even makes some bosses impossible to beat due to making them move considerably faster than you do.

The game itself is not good. It is essentially Pikmin but there are many things that weren't thought out. Your control over your own guys is poor and they will regularly get stuck on terrain or fall off narrow cliffs since the group is larger than the path. If a guy gets stuck and they are in front of the queue to be sent out, nothing will happen as it tries to send out the stuck one, which it can't. There are also way too many jobs for your army. There are 20 total and you need 5 in your group to get past the various obstacles in your path. The others are specific counters that you don't run into much or become obsolete with other jobs. This makes for a lot of shuffling through your army to get the right one in front for your needs.

Bosses are also poorly planned. They all have varying amounts of time you can't attack due to their own attacks or they are just flat out invincible until they do something. The worst is the final boss that took me 26 minutes to beat (started to time it after dying twice) because you can only attack it after one specific attack (varies between phases). Your own king can only take 3 hits before a game over so hope you can dodge what they do. It is a time waste for the sake of it.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Hah! Is that a port of the ten year old Wii game? It sounds very like it, from my ten year old memories I agree with you. The game was pretty hyped on release if I remember (or at least well received).
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

04/01 - Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (Normal)
05/01 - Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Jetstream Sam DLC (Normal)
06/01 - Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Blade Wolf DLC (Normal)
10/01 - Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (Hard)
14/01 - Killer Is Dead (Hard)
18/01 - Q.U.B.E: Director's Cut
20/02 - Okamiden
23/02 - Bayonetta 2 (Normal)
27/02 - Shadow of the Colossus
02/03 - Monster Hunter World
06/03 - Snake Pass
08/03 - Deus Ex: The Fall
10/03 - Bayonetta 2 (Hard)
22/03 - Ty the Tasmanian Tiger
28/04 - Warden: Melody of the Undergrowth

Been kind of bad at finishing games lately. Gave this one a bit of a break for a while because I got stuck, and finally got back to it now.

My general impressions on it are the still the same as they were when I talked about it before in another thread. It's an enjoyable game, with some fairly impressive level design, but is extremely rough around the edges everywhere. Does a fairly good job of having a go at the 3D Zelda formula, but it's pretty basic in that regard. Could use some more variety in terms of mechanics and puzzles. Levels and world design are pretty impressive though. Subverts expectations from the general low polish of the game. Very big, complex, interconnected levels that are fun to explore. Combat leaves a bit to be desires though. Very basic, with wonky hit detection. Made bosses a bit of a pain in particular. The game could also use some form of map, given the large levels.
MajorGamer

Post by MajorGamer »

Chopper wrote: April 28th, 2018, 12:43 pm Hah! Is that a port of the ten year old Wii game? It sounds very like it, from my ten year old memories I agree with you. The game was pretty hyped on release if I remember (or at least well received).
Yup, that's the one. Reading your post made me finally put two and two together. The game tells you to press "button 1" and "button 2" because Wii port. Another thing I wish PC ports would stop doing. Especially when it says "press 2" when "button 2" and the number 2 on the keyboard are different actions in the game.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Flabyo wrote: April 2nd, 2018, 9:49 pm 7th Jan - Mafia 3 (XBO)
29th Jan - Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun (XBO)
31st Jan - The Room: Old Sins (iOS)
20th Feb - Celeste (XBO)
12th Mar - Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice (PS4)
2nd Apr - Prey (2017) (XBO)
29th Apr - Dynasty Warriors 9 (XBO)

This is not a good Dynasty Warriors game. It’s not the worst one (6 is pretty dreadful), but 8 is way tighter and has more spectacle, while 7 handles the same ‘all the story! ALL OF IT!’ That 9 is going for but does it without resorting to a very repetitive open world structure.

But I liked it anyway. Enough to unlock every battle entry in the encyclopaedia, which means I’ve seen all the actual plot bar the 70 or so character endings I’ve not seen. Also, I got every achievement, cause clearly I hate myself.

I need to find something else to play now.
MajorGamer

Post by MajorGamer »

Jan 1 - Neon Chrome (PC)
Jan 2 - Dispersio (PC)
Jan 9 - Numbus (PC)
Jan 11 - Hero Siege (PC)
Jan 14 - Castle of no Escape 2 (PC)
Jan 20 - Toy Odyssey (PC)
Jan 23 - 20XX (PC)
Jan 25 - Battle Chef Brigade (Switch)
Jan 29 - Kamiko (Switch)
Feb 1 - Guild of Dungeoneering (PC)
Feb 3 - KByte (PC)
Feb 7 - Cat Quest (Switch)
Feb 11 - DYE (PC)
Mar 7 - The End is Nigh (Switch)
Mar 10 - Shadow Warrior 2 (PC)
Mar 16 - The Keep (PC)
Mar 17 - The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky the 3rd (PC)
Mar 18 - Hue (PC)
Mar 22 - Song of the Deep (PC)
Mar 28 - Metro: 2033 Redux (PC)
Apr 4 - Blossom Tales: The Sleeping King (Switch)
Apr 6 - Xeodrifter (Switch)
Apr 8 - Has-Been Heroes (Switch)
Apr 14 - Slime-san (Switch)
Apr 20 - ReThink (PC)
Apr 22 - Little King's Story (PC)
Apr 24 - Headlander (PC)

The Metroidvania made by Double Fine. It is fun for what it is but doesn't do much else. It also falls into the trap of what many "Metroidvania" games make, by barely having the elements of the genre making it appear like it was a check box on a list instead of what they wanted to design. There are power-ups you get in the game but whatever you get in the area is able to open everything in the area, they only lead to optional power-ups, and you never have to return to the area again after you leave it. It misses the point of power-ups opening new areas and paths for your ever growing exploration of the world like in Super Metroid or Metroid Prime. Sadly, this is a common problem with the genre.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Dante's Inferno (PS3)

This 2010 action game begins with warrior knight Dante sewing a cloth crucifix onto his own bare chest during the crusades, and the rest of the game is spent trying to outdo that action for yuckiness. The game does quite well for the first half, with the Hell enviroments being pretty good and the bosses hitting the sweet spot for me personally, but the gameplay and enemies are a bit too samey to sustain it all the way through. I got bored around the halfway mark and turned it down to easy in order to power through to the end. Normal difficulty was actually quite easy as well - most deaths were the result of platforming, lava pits, and a fixed camera. I guess this type of game (character action? Hit multipliers and combos and hordes of enemies to dispatch without worrying about stamina) is meant to be played at the higher difficulties but I don't like the genre enough to do that.

Edit: Oh, I forgot to mention - you do a QTE seemingly every 30 seconds in this game. I've never seen so many. You even have to do one to pick up health. Ah well, good training for Detroit later this month.
AndrewBrown

Post by AndrewBrown »

02/01: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past [SNES Classic]
04/01: Oxenfree [Switch]
13/01: Axiom Verge: Multiverse Edition [Switch]
14/01: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim [Switch]
15/01: Super Mario World [SNES Classic]
20/01: BioShock Infinite [360]
23/01: The Fall [PSN]
26/01: Celeste [Switch]
31/01: Super One More Jump [Switch]
05/02: Night in the Woods [Switch]
08/02: Dandara [Switch]
14/02: Dragon Quest Builders [Switch]
20/02: Bayonetta [Switch]
21/02: Puzzle Puppers [Switch]
23/02: Fe [Switch]
24/02: Old Man's Journey [Switch]
26/02: Portal Knights [Switch]
28/02: Bayonetta 2 [Switch]
07/03: Subsurface Circular [Switch]
14/03: Coffin Dodgers [Switch]
15/03: OPUS: The Day We Found Earth [Switch]
18/03: Tesla vs. Lovecraft [Switch]
22/03: Fear Effect Sedna [Switch]
23/03: Destiny 2 [PS4]
31/03: Devious Dungeon [Switch]
31/03: Warp Shift [Switch]
01/04: Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap [Switch]
02/04: Paper Wars: Cannon Fodder Devastated [Switch]
09/04: Attack on Titan 2 [Switch]
11/04: The Bunker [Switch]
14/04: Streets of Red: Devil's Dare Deluxe [Switch]
16/04: Slayaway Camp: Butcher's Cut [Switch]
18/04: L.A. Noire [Switch]
23/04: Rayman Legends: Definitive Edition [Switch]
01/05: Saturday Morning RPG [Switch]

The developer provided me with a code for this game.

From the Selling You Your Childhood genre, Saturday Morning RPG scoops up the merchandise-driven Saturday morning cartoons of the 1980s (along with anything else that gets caught along the way) and transliterated into a Paper Mario-style Adventure RPG. There's little going on here except a long string of jokes and references to pop culture, but it's all done in a light-hearted way; this isn't trying to convince you that watching reruns of Who's The Boss will save the world one day. Like most nostalgia-based properties, your level of enjoyment is going to be proportional to your familiarity with what's being pastiched and also your fondness for it. None of what's drawn in here is being mocked; it recognizes when something is shallow or ridiculous, but loves it just the same and brings you along for the ride.

Saturday Morning RPG is too easy, so it's a good thing it's short. But the combat system has some good ideas to it which I wouldn't mind seeing explored in greater depth in a more substantial videogame. It's an RPG, but there's only one player character: Marty, essentially the protagonist from Back to the Future with all the personality sucked out. Marty has a magic notebook he uses to fight; finding new covers and swapping between them offers a variety of different stat bonuses. He can also collect scratch n' sniff stickers and apply them to the cover; scratching them before a fight begins confers stat bonuses for the duration of the fight, and better bonuses take longer to "scratch," providing less opportunity to scratch multiple stickers. Attacks are based on items picked up in the environment: a Sharebear lets Marty bombard his enemy with rainbows, and they explode when reaching critical mass; a Space Warrior lets him slash at enemies with a lightsaber.

There is a magic meter, but no "magic" as it is commonly understood. Marty can use a turn to sink magic power into a battery that increases his damage multiplier, to a potential maximum of 9.9. Marty's abilities have extremely limited uses, so charging the battery is necessary to defeat enemies before running out of attacks. Even one turn charging the battery can potentially raise damage by as much as 400%, so it's always worth it to sink power into the battery every other turn, or potentially more depending on what the enemy is doing. Magic is restored by taking hits from enemies, so though Marty may appear vastly outnumbered in some fights, he accumulates so much magic power when outnumbered that he can put out an astonishing amount of damage. Conversely, in one-on-one fights magic is such a spare resource that squandering it can lead to a premature doom. Luckily there's a generous checkpoint system that lets you restart at the beginning of the very fight you you lost on if you choose.

It's all a fascinating combat system that could be deep and strategic, but again, Saturday Morning RPG is just too dang easy. Even a rudimentary understanding of the system let me walk all over this game. If I took the time to put together a truly cheesey combination of stickers and abilities, the game may as well delete itself from my SD card. There are five included episodes that ends on a cliffhanger, and it's been years since a new episode has been released so I don't see Episode 6 appearing any time soon. If Netflix's "The Toys That Made Us" documentary moved you to tears, you might enjoy Saturday Morning RPG. Otherwise, it's a mere curiosity at best for a glimpse of what "could be" with more resources put into its RPG combat engine.
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

Just finished Florence for Android. A short sweet story of being in your twenties. Maybe a little too real for me in certain respects...

No surprise either that this is another Annapurna published game. Although the developers are different, the innovative storytelling techniques from both Gorogoa and Edith Finch are both here albeit on a smaller scale. I love that this publisher seems to be so dedicated to uplifting game designers that have a fresh perspective on the possibilities of conveying narrative and emotions.
Bakers_12

Post by Bakers_12 »

2/1 Battlefront 2 single player
2/1 Battlefront 2 Resurrection
5/1 inside iOS
26/1 Dishonored 2 Low chaos Emily play though
9/2 The Room : old sins
24/2Wolfenstin 2
March Love you to bits iOS
21/3/18 Rime
5/4 Batman the telltale game Season 2

April Shadow of the colossus

First time playing this and after hearing many opinions and views over the years, I thought it would not live up to its “legendary status” but it does mostly. The game is still massively original and the game play is interesting though the controls take a bit to get used it. The world in the remake is visually remarkable and stunning but I’m a little conflicted by how empty it is one the one hand by only having the colossi and your self does sell the idea of this being a cursed land , but it does mean that traveling between colossi can get a bit boring and some of then are not easy to get to also.

I’m glade I have finally played it and would recommend any o e who may have missed it before to give it a go.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

January 2018:
Bleed
Crackdown
Rez Infinite
Resident evil directors cut
Bioshock
Resident evil 2
Bioshock 2
Resident evil 3:Nemesis

Feb 2018:
Bioshock infinite
Def Jam: fight for Ny
Zone of The Enders
Resident Evil:code Veronica
Resident evil zero
Hyper light drifter
Braid
Yoshi’s Woolly World
Resident evil 4

March:
resident evil 5
resident evil 6
Lostwinds
lost winds 2
Ico 3D
Dead space
Dead space 2
Heavenly Sword
1st May: Horizon Zero Dawn plus Frozen Wilds

It took me the entirety of April to complete this game! It was huge. My game clock reads 108 hours. Maybe I was doing something wrong but I had a ball.