All things Shin Megami Tensei / Persona related

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Todinho

Re: All things Shin Megami Tensei / Persona related

Post by Todinho »

Oh yeah I like that teaser! It gives me P3 vibes =D
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

There's a huge amount of Persona related news about at the second due to "News Flash! Persona Channel 2015", looks like we're close to seeing Persona 5 in action with newspapers listing vague ads relating to Persona 5 and a huge number of question marks in the events schedule. Somewhere in the next 12 hours (possibly even 2) it'll likely make its showing. Personally I'm excited!

http://p-ch.jp/

Edit: and here it is!

Todinho

Post by Todinho »

oh shit this looks awesome!
kappisun

Post by kappisun »

It certainly does
spasticmonkey2

Post by spasticmonkey2 »

I am so unbelievably excited for this, I just wish they would give a general window for a european release.
I really hope we don't have to wait as long as we did for Catherine, as avoiding spoilers for that long can get pretty tough.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Another lovely trailer with the possibly welcome news that the game is delayed until summer 2016, still plenty of time to continue squeezing the fun out of metal gear then.

Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

Floating this thread to the surface, as Persona 5 is out.

Wow! Number 1 in the UK charts, really happy with that! :)
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

I had been thinking about making an SMT/Persona thread but didn't know if enough people would be into it.

Am I the only one play SMT IV Apocalypse? I'm actually enjoying it more than SMT IV.

The map system is vastly improved over the original and I like the story more as well.

Persona 5 is tempting, but I'm going to wait for the eventual FES/Golden version. They swore up, down, left and right that the PS2 version of P4 was going to be the only version. And yet.......
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

You see, I still think that the original PS2 version of Persona 4 is my favourite because I just couldn't get over the re-casting choices in Golden.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

ThirdDrawing wrote: April 11th, 2017, 12:11 pm I had been thinking about making an SMT/Persona thread but didn't know if enough people would be into it.

Am I the only one play SMT IV Apocalypse? I'm actually enjoying it more than SMT IV.

The map system is vastly improved over the original and I like the story more as well.
How is Apocaly´pse btw I played the original SMTIV but I have no idea how apocallypse is,is it a sequel or more of an expansion? Is the cast the same or different? What I looked of it I didnt really like the edgy green guy on the promotional material but it's nice to hear that map traversal was greatly improved because it was a nightmare on IV.
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Combine Hunter wrote: April 11th, 2017, 12:52 pm You see, I still think that the original PS2 version of Persona 4 is my favourite because I just couldn't get over the re-casting choices in Golden.
I prefer the orignial too but I got used to the voice changes. I couldn't get over my playthrough on hard in Golden feeling easier (especially the late game) than my playthrough on normal in the PS2 version. Between boosted all out attacks, the scooter follow-ups and a few other changes that they made, battles felt more of a grind than a challenge.
James

Post by James »

ColinAlonso wrote: April 12th, 2017, 9:21 pm
Combine Hunter wrote: April 11th, 2017, 12:52 pm You see, I still think that the original PS2 version of Persona 4 is my favourite because I just couldn't get over the re-casting choices in Golden.
I prefer the orignial too but I got used to the voice changes. I couldn't get over my playthrough on hard in Golden feeling easier (especially the late game) than my playthrough on normal in the PS2 version. Between boosted all out attacks, the scooter follow-ups and a few other changes that they made, battles felt more of a grind than a challenge.
Do you guys think you'd feel similarly if you hadn't played P4 on PS2 first, or are your feelings towards P4 Golden independent of the comparison?
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

Oh my feelings are absolutely influenced by the comparison. I'm sure if you go into Golden knowing nothing, it's fantastic. I just got so attached to a particular portrayal of certain characters (Chie for example) that it was jarring to hear another voice. I don't think the new voice acting is bad, it's just "not my Chie."
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

My first experience of the persona 4 voice acting was a Japanese import copy of persona 4 arena, so anything other than the Japanese voice cast sounds weird to me now :)

Still debating whether to play persona 5 with the Japanese audio or not. Yes, I am an anime subs snob.
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

James wrote: April 13th, 2017, 9:02 am Do you guys think you'd feel similarly if you hadn't played P4 on PS2 first, or are your feelings towards P4 Golden independent of the comparison?
On the difficulty side of things I was already of the opinion that the first half of the game was harder than the second half (the hardest bosses are up to and including the Void Quest dungeon which is about halfway through the game, for example) and P4 Golden skews it even more in that direction by making the late game easier again.

It is possible that I was getting bored of the battle system but I played the PS2 versions of Persona 3 (including the additional chapter in FES) and Persona 4 in an 11 month period whereas Golden was 4 years later, so I don't think so.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

ThirdMan wrote: April 13th, 2017, 3:54 pm
Flabyo wrote: April 13th, 2017, 1:55 pm My first experience of the persona 4 voice acting was a Japanese import copy of persona 4 arena, so anything other than the Japanese voice cast sounds weird to me now :)

Still debating whether to play persona 5 with the Japanese audio or not. Yes, I am an anime subs snob.
I hit upon some sort of bug when trying to play the Japanese audio. I eventually just ran with the dub and now it's too late to turn back.

I'm also an anime sub snob, but only if it's a good translation. I feel that the Cowboy Bebop dub is the best possible version of that series for English speakers. I wouldn't wade though a sterile translation for the sake of 'authenticity'.
On Death Note on Netflix, the subs are rubbish. I'd usually watch something like that in Japanese with subs, but they were so basic, half the time they missed out half of what they were actually saying on the dub.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

The dub sometimes works from a totally different script, Japanese drama relies a lot more on periods of silence (hence all those '...' speech bubbles in rgps). Look up 'lull destruction' on tvtropes for a quick description of it.

In short, if you're subtitling the Japanese audio you want to stick closer to the pacing of the audio, having text on screen when no one is actually talking is just as weird as those old shaw brothers where the dubs never lined up.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Todinho wrote: April 11th, 2017, 7:15 pm
ThirdDrawing wrote: April 11th, 2017, 12:11 pm I had been thinking about making an SMT/Persona thread but didn't know if enough people would be into it.

How is Apocaly´pse btw I played the original SMTIV but I have no idea how apocallypse is,is it a sequel or more of an expansion? Is the cast the same or different? What I looked of it I didnt really like the edgy green guy on the promotional material but it's nice to hear that map traversal was greatly improved because it was a nightmare on IV.
Pretty much everything has been improved. Voice acting is good, art style is a bit better, you can actually navigate on the map now.....it's like they listened to all the complaints about SMT IV and tweaked them.

I really, truly thoroughly enjoyed it much more than I was expecting to after SMT IV - which I didn't like the first time I played, but grew on me during my second playthrough.

It is technically a sequel, though it does feature cast members from SMT IV in various roles. You can transfer your save data from SMT IV into your game and you will get some bonuses depending on which ending you got.

And I never played P4 Golden. I only know the original Chie.
PapaJupe13

Post by PapaJupe13 »

I am playing Persona 5 now and really enjoying it. It is the first SMT game I have put more than a few hours into.
It is really making me hate cats though. Like really hate them. Like "I want to round up the neighborhood cats and re-enact scenes from Gummo" levels of hate.

I'd like to write more, but Morgana is telling me it is time for bed....