Videogame News

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
KSubzero1000

Re: Videogame News

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Open question to all: What would you say is the most reliable source of videogame-related news?

Preferably independent, well-researched, platform-agnostic and apolitical.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

The Cane and Rinse Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/caneandrinse/

Although perhaps we're not strictly apolitical...
:)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

VG24/7 probably ticks most of those boxes:
https://www.vg247.com/
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Thanks, I'll bookmark it now. I can't believe the Transformers news passed me by...

I'm still open to other suggestions, of course.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Honestly, I don’t think there’s really one source that fits now.

You’re best comparing across multiple sites and seeing where they agree (at least when it comes to news)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

KSubzero1000 wrote: January 15th, 2018, 1:33 pm Open question to all: What would you say is the most reliable source of videogame-related news?

Joking aside, I genuinely get 90% of my video game news from this forum and the Cane and Rinse Facebook page!

The other 10% is an app I have installed on Android (may be on iOS as well) called Appy Gamer. All it does is list stories from other sites. I don't think they produce any original content.

And then there's Twitter which I'll occasionally get news from, but that's about it!
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Flabyo wrote: January 15th, 2018, 7:04 pm Honestly, I don’t think there’s really one source that fits now.

You’re best comparing across multiple sites and seeing where they agree (at least when it comes to news)
I'll second that!

I am a librarian, so these sort of literacy, information and digital skills are ingrained in my everyday life. Now that you live in a world with a ridiculous amount of access to information via the internet, dig in, compare. There will always be bias or agendas, and the ability to sort the wheat from the chaff is a skill everyone should develop.
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

I'm lucky(?) that because I have a hand in writing news, I get to see a lot of press releases via GamesPress - which is about as factual and apolitical as you're likely to get in the industry, but it's also extremely dry! Honestly following the big news sites on Twitter, plus every major publisher and game franchises, delivers very interesting and breaking videogame news to my virtual doorstep every couple of minutes.

The more people I follow, the more the news I receive averages out to something approaching unbiased, apolitical and platform-agnostic :)
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

KSubzero1000 wrote: January 15th, 2018, 1:33 pm Open question to all: What would you say is the most reliable source of videogame-related news?

I like both Gematsu and Siliconera. They tend to focus more on consoles but aren't limited to them. They also tend to focus more on the Japanese side of gaming, but isn't limited to it. But I think both sites are quite good.

Speaking of news, there has been a new House of the Dead game announced. For arcades.

https://gematsu.com/2018/01/house-dead- ... ed-arcades
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

This isn't news, but I couldn't think of a better place for it. Earlier, into my head popped that cube game that Peter Molyneux made a while back, where people tapped on it and the eventual winner was promised a life changing prize. I remember reading at the time that the winner ended up with some promise of a role in one of his upcoming games, and a revenue from that game also. I wondered whatever happened with that, and whether the winner had actually had a life changing experience. After some quick Googling, I stumbled upon this interesting article.

Spoilers, he didn't.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015- ... eux-forgot

What a bizarre story of disappointment.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Thanks for that, interesting article. I'd assumed the prize was like your name in the next game credits or something but weird that they made a big song and dance about it and then...there never was a plan...

A pretty damp squib.
Joshihatsumitsu

Peter Molyneux is alright.

Peter Molydeux is better. :D
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

He’s also a listener and friend of the show: https://caneandrinse.com/interview-with-peter-molydeux/
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I listened to that again fairly recently - there's just something about Capone that makes him eminently listenable. The guy is absolutely hilarious.
Joshihatsumitsu

ratsoalbion wrote: January 19th, 2018, 10:05 am He’s also a listener and friend of the show: https://caneandrinse.com/interview-with-peter-molydeux/
Thanks for the link!

The thing I love about this forum is that when I miss something (which happens a lot), people simply point me in the right direction. :D
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

From the Nintendo thread:
Joshihatsumitsu wrote: January 19th, 2018, 10:24 pm And I have to assume that Sony's dedicated PSVR audience are still patiently waiting for more content.
I didn't want to go into a Nintendo thread blathering about Playstation stuff, but I've seen this pop up a few times here in the forum so I thought I'd issue a correction. :D

There's no shortage of games for PSVR, and good ones too - I'm confident in saying that if you bought a PSVR today, you could comfortably spend a year playing high quality PSVR games and nothing else. It's weird that people seem to think there are no games. I've been playing it flat out since mid-year and haven't made a dent in stuff I've picked up in sales etc.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Chopper wrote: January 20th, 2018, 1:02 pm I'm confident in saying that if you bought a PSVR today, you could comfortably spend a year playing high quality PSVR games and nothing else.
Just for fun, I thought I'd see if I could back that up. Criteria would be: you complete 2 games per month, they need to be excellent games, and you should have a Main and a Change of Pace game :)

Jan: Main: Resident Evil 7 ..........Change of Pace: I expect you to Die
Feb: Main: Farpoint ..................Change of Pace: Driveclub
Mar: Main: The Solus Project .........Change of Pace: Thumper
Apr: Main: Arizona Sunshine .........Change of Pace: Dirt Rally
May:Main: VR Worlds ..................Change of Pace: Tumble VR
Jun: Main: Megaton Rainfall .........Change of Pace: Gran Turismo Sport
Jul: Main: Until Dawn: Rush of Blood .........Change of Pace: Statik
Aug: Main: Skyrim ..................Change of Pace: Superhot VR
Sep: Main: Doom VFR ..................Change of Pace: Ultrawings
Oct: Main: The Invisible Hours .........Change of Pace: Rez Infinite
Nov: Main: Sparc ..................Change of Pace: Job Simulator
Dec: Main: The Playroom VR .........Change of Pace: Polybius

I was running out of Mains at the end there, though Sparc and The Playroom get rave user reviews, and I excluded some game types, like wave shooters, tower defence, 'VR experiences' like Apollo 11 or Everest. But I think this list holds up. :D
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I had a good go on GT Sport VR at Arcade Club last week. Much better than I expected, in fact, and I enjoyed it just as much as Project Cars 2 on the high end PC2 with Oculus. They should really develop more modes and tracks for it, because it's quality. Having put in a good fifty hours over the last couple of months, it was also great to know the track and braking points, etc. I did a monster lap, very satisfying from that perspective.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Yeah, I hear the VR mode is a bit limited; I haven't picked it up myself yet as I haven't given Driveclub or Dirt Rally the time they deserve.

No recurrence of your Driveclub motion sickness problems? ;)
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I don't know whether it's the resolution or framerate or something else but I didn't have any problems at all, though my mate did, as a first timer with VR.