Videogame News

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Joshihatsumitsu

Re: Videogame News

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

To quote Democrat Sean Quinlan of Hawaii:

"We didn't allow Joe Camel to encourage our kids to smoke cigarettes, and we shouldn't allow Star Wars to encourage our kids to gamble."

And you add the fact that Hawaii is a US state that constantly blocks all of Donald Trumps super racist travel bands, among other crap, and I'm finding Hawaii to be an awesome place.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Plus the greatest television show that has ever been, and ever likely to be was recorded their too...
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Magnum P.I.?
Joshihatsumitsu

ThirdDrawing wrote: November 25th, 2017, 11:09 pm Magnum P.I.?
One would have to assume Magnum P. I.

I've never been to Hawaii. I really must correct that. First: grow Tom Selleck-type moustache...
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Lost!!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

So, how do you guys feel about traditional trading card games like Magic The Gathering or Pokemon? Doesn't it count as gambling as well since there is usually an element of chance involved? The consumers rarely know for sure what they're getting for their money and are encouraged to keep buying pre-made booster packs if they want to compete with others. And yet, some of these are marketed to children as well...
Suits

Post by Suits »

Sticker books is the example that I hear that really confuses me, regards where I’m at on the whole Lootbox debacle.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

The CCG model that Magic uses (booster packs of random cards, although you do know you always get a rare in each pack) is falling out favour in the board game industry in favour of the LCG model (you still buy booster packs, but you know exactly what cards are in each booster so the random element is gone).

Loot boxes are also slowly draining out of the mobile market as well. They certainly monetise well, but developers are learning that they don’t actually make their customers happy and that that might be more important to the longer term viability of a given product.

The console games industry is lagging about 2 to 3 years behind mobile when it comes to ‘‘alternative revenue streams’. They’ll start doing incentivised video adverts next I imagine.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Flabyo wrote: November 26th, 2017, 10:12 am The CCG model that Magic uses (booster packs of random cards, although you do know you always get a rare in each pack) is falling out favour in the board game industry in favour of the LCG model (you still buy booster packs, but you know exactly what cards are in each booster so the random element is gone).
Interesting. I didn't know that.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Look up Netrunner, or the new version of Legend of the Five Rings.

You might still have to buy multiple boosters if your deck needs four copies of card X but the fixed booster you can buy only has 1 in it. But you know that up front if you buy four of that booster you’ll get what you want.

Fantasy Flight Games are the main proponent of it, but others are taking notice. They explain the idea here, expand out the ‘read more’ sections.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Flabyo wrote: November 26th, 2017, 10:12 am The console games industry is lagging about 2 to 3 years behind mobile when it comes to ‘‘alternative revenue streams’. They’ll start doing incentivised video adverts next I imagine.
The thought of playing something like the Witcher 3 and having it interrupted by commercials is a terrifying thought.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

The ‘incentivised’ part is the key. It doesn’t just chuck adverts at you at random. Instead it’s things like ‘you’re out of lives, watch an advert to refill them?’. Stuff like that.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

It's still intrusive and manipulative, if you ask me.

Then again, I have zero personal experience with mobile games.
Joshihatsumitsu

Alex79uk wrote: November 26th, 2017, 8:03 amLost!!
You know what would have made Lost perfect? Tom Selleck. But then, Tom Selleck is usually the correct response to most questions.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Click this spoiler to receive 5 free gems!
Spoiler: show
You won’t believe what Tom Selleck looks like now!
Joshihatsumitsu

Chopper wrote: November 27th, 2017, 1:03 am Click this spoiler to receive 5 free gems!
Spoiler: show
You won’t believe what Tom Selleck looks like now!
:lol:
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

As an example of mobile being some way ahead of AAA on this, here’s a piece on how the new mobile version of Lineage 2 works.

Annuities. That’s actually a new one on me.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

So I just saw this and Im not gonna lie Im kind of baffled, I still remember my reaction when IO was let go and never imagined things would turn out how they did, so way to go Square: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2 ... chise-free
James

Post by James »

My take is that if Square Enix couldn't make the numbers work on a second season, then they figured other big publishers would come to the same conclusion. I really hope IO can make a go of it with Hitman, and Ninja Theory's success this year gives me a little cause for positivity.

Weirdly, the thing I find most baffling about that article is (the author) James' example of Assassin's Creed as the mainstream series that Square Enix/IO wanted to ape with Hitman: Absolution. Everything about the direction that game took was to move it away from any kind of open, expansive, explorative gameplay. I presume the example is meant to evoke the stature of Assassin's Creed, but a linear, cinematic series like Uncharted seems like a far better comparison.

Anyway, I can't help but feel that Square Enix have gone above and beyond for IO and fans of Hitman. Square Enix still have a publishing deal with IO, I seem to recall, so if Hitman does well, hopefully they will benefit too.

Thanks very much for sharing the article, Todinho. :-)
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

It's funny that Square wanted Hitman to be more like Assassins creed because I always wanted Assassins creed to be more like Hitman XD, damn market trends!