Videogame News

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Craig

Re: Videogame News

Post by Craig »

Nah, those are the pre recall versions going for inflated prices. The first is a used copy going at almost RRP, and the latter being a new copy at almost ¥4000 over regular price. If you check on the Japanese PSN, the page is still up there but you can’t buy it.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

This hasn't been posted yet? Sony is apparently experimenting with a new format resembling Nintendo Direct called State of Play. First episode will air tomorrow at 21:00 in the UK and 22:00 in Central Europe.

Curious to see what that's all about!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I think people are expecting a date for The Last of Us 2, at the very least.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I saw rumours that they will announce EA Access for PS4 at that thing. I could see that happening.

Sony has been really quiet lately with hardly anything going on. It's been a long time since we heard anything concrete about most of their new upcoming games, and even longer since anything new got announced. Really hope they turn that around soon. Maybe finally we'll get to see more of Ghost of Tsuhima. I also saw a rumour floating around that there's a big second/third-party exclusive for the PS4 that hasn't been announced yet. Would be cool to see what that is too.

Although I don't really expect anything huge coming out of this. If it is really like Nintendo's Directs, as it appears it will be, then most of them will be pretty low-key and we won't get the big news until the big E3 show. So because of that I expect the EA Access thing might be the biggest thing we see. Maybe we will see some more of the smaller games that are already announced too, like Concrete Genie. That looked pretty interesting before.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Apple have announced a new service called ‘Apple arcade’ that sounds like it’s going to be their version of Xbox Game Pass.

The games on it will be ‘exclusive’, though it’s not totally clear what that means yet, as some of the stuff shown in their reel were at least in development for the consoles at some point...

They frame it as a way to get at the best of the paid games without the free to play games getting in the way (and it sounds like it blocks analytics, that’ll go down poorly cause it’s pretty much a vital part of the designers toolbox even for AAA console games now)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I heard about this and wasn't really interested, but then I saw the announcement that the Beneath A Steel Sky sequel was an exclusive, and I'll admit I did get a tiny pang of iEnvy.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

KSubzero1000 wrote: March 24th, 2019, 1:51 pm Curious to see what that's all about!
...Well, that was a waste of time. :|
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

The ‘exclusive’ thing in the Apple arcade announce is already very confusing, cause Wayforward have announced a fifth Shantae game that’s on all the consoles and also Apple arcade...
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

While the Apple Arcade announcement stirred indifference in me, I will give some credit for not going the streaming only route like Stadia. It makes it a more attractive service by comparison, with the option to download.

Not mind-blowing stuff, and certainly not innovative, but it's a smarter marketing strategy that addresses the concerns that were raised with Stadia, which in a short-attention-span-news-cycle, is something I give credit to.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Flabyo wrote: March 25th, 2019, 11:45 pm The ‘exclusive’ thing in the Apple arcade announce is already very confusing, cause Wayforward have announced a fifth Shantae game that’s on all the consoles and also Apple arcade...
Yeah, there's also this:

"These games won’t be available on any other mobile platform...other than Apple Arcade."

"Apple showed off a variety of games, including platformers and titles like Sonic the Hedgehog..."

Erm.

I guess maybe they're referring to some specific games only?
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Or they just mean ‘you won’t see this on android’. But didn’t want to just outright say that in the same presentation they said that the Apple TV app would be built into Samsung TVs.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I haven't been paying close attention to it since it doesn't apply to me, but that Apple thing is very strange and interesting when you think about trends in how people consume games these days. I think it actually has some good elements to it, despite coming in a form that I'm not a fan of at all. With so many games these days pushing towards being a "service" that are intended to get you to pay out over and over, and that business model first getting a real foundation on mobile, it's kind of interesting that a subscription based service on mobile would be used specifically for non-service type games. I've heard that it's a real struggle for mobile developers to make non-F2P/MTX laden games on the platform because people just don't want to pay up front, so if this is an actually viable way for those types of games to have a place on the platform and make putting out that sort of games possible, then I'm all for it. Obviously I'd rather this didn't need to be a thing, and I sincerely hope this doesn't become the norm for all other platforms, but if it means more games like Monument Valley and Shantae, rather than all the stuff that gives mobile games a bad reputation, then that's a good thing in my book.

And on that Sony event, that was pretty underwhelming. I was expecting it to be though, so it's not much of a big deal. Sort of surprised they didn't announce that EA Access thing. That seems like the perfect kind of announcement that would be big enough to catch people's attention for the first of one of these presentations, but not so big that it would need an E3 announcement or something. I wouldn't be surprised if that's still on the way and will show up fairly soon. Not that I would be personally interested anyway. But my other expectation/hope was to see more Concrete Genie, which we did. Still looking good. Although, was it just me, but was that trailer hinting/implying there would be combat mechanics, despite not showing any? Not that I was looking for something like that; I'm already interested in a exploratory magical graffiti-em-up, but the way they presented certain things in that trailer made it look like there were enemies that maybe you would fight somehow. Seems like an odd and unnecessary addition. I guess it was just something strange about how they edited the trailer, and there isn't actually any combat. Just funny how it came across as conveying that without actually showing it.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

A lot of stuff, with Google and Apple and Sony and Epic and Steam sort of make me want to disappear into a bunker for five years and come out when the smoke has cleared.
Joshihatsumitsu

duskvstweak wrote: March 27th, 2019, 12:05 am A lot of stuff, with Google and Apple and Sony and Epic and Steam sort of make me want to disappear into a bunker for five years and come out when the smoke has cleared.
I think that might be the best option!

I think I'm doing that default now: there's a huge delay between when games are released and when I actually get around to playing them. I just don't see how anyone stays absolutely on top on every new development, absolutely all the time. There just isn't that much time or money!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Joshihatsumitsu wrote: March 27th, 2019, 12:30 am There just isn't that much time or money!
To be fair, 90% of your time and money is apparently being poured into your sumptuous little cabinets, so that won't leave much wiggle room for compulsively refreshing IGN all day or whatever it is normal video game players do to stay on top of things these days. :lol:
Joshihatsumitsu

KSubzero1000 wrote: March 27th, 2019, 12:35 am
Joshihatsumitsu wrote: March 27th, 2019, 12:30 am There just isn't that much time or money!
To be fair, 90% of your time and money is apparently being poured into your sumptuous little cabinets, so that won't leave much wiggle room for compulsively refreshing IGN all day or whatever it is normal video game players do to stay on top of things these days. :lol:
Hmmm... very fair critique sir! :ugeek:
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

This is the first time I've seen anything about this game. It looks right up my alley and makes me feel warm all over.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I WAS JUST ABOUT TO POST THAT

Well, that's definitely a nice little something for you ancient folks who think 2D Ninja Gaiden is best Ninja Gaiden! :D
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

KSubzero1000 wrote: March 27th, 2019, 11:07 pm I WAS JUST ABOUT TO POST THAT

Well, that's definitely a nice little something for you ancient folks who think 2D Ninja Gaiden is best Ninja Gaiden! :D
I didn't play NES Ninja Gaiden until i was 18 or so, when we bought the system and a bunch of games again on ebay. But, I loved it then. It's not so much I think 2D Ninja Gaiden is the best, it's that I love that style of game, period. I'm a sucker for this sort of stuff.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

duskvstweak wrote: March 27th, 2019, 11:10 pm I didn't play NES Ninja Gaiden until i was 18 or so, when we bought the system and a bunch of games again on ebay. But, I loved it then. It's not so much I think 2D Ninja Gaiden is the best, it's that I love that style of game, period. I'm a sucker for this sort of stuff.
Of course mate, I'm just teasing. I know that a few team members are very fond of this type of game as well.

I might give it a shot at some point.