Videogame News

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Videogame News

Post by ratsoalbion »

Fair point, but they’re selling a lot more merch these days, Funko Pops, books, clothes, even snacks and crisps. They need to make space for more of that I guess.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Game don’t actually make any money from actually selling games (or very little at least).

The majority of their profit, as I understand it comes from like you mention - and other gaming paraphernalia.

Stopping the acceptance of previous generation games and even selling them will allow for more Sonic crisps and Zelda lollies.

I have a long standing feud with Game, which means I try my upmost to not give them a pennie of my money - so for me, I couldn’t care less other than people losing their jobs if/when they go under.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

The Game in Guildford has hardly any 360 or ps3 games left. Granted it’s not the biggest branch in the country.

Cex still has mountains of them though.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Consoles must be a good revenue stream as I visited my local Asda, Sainsburys and Morrisons over the weekend with a view for buying a one x if a deal was good enough.

Sainsburys only sell switches, Morrisons nothing and Asda sell all 3 variations of the ps4 but only the xbox one s.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

‪A measure of the continued cultural dominance of Funko Pops and Fortnite: they sell the Fortnite Pops in Claires Accessories
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Episode 3 of the final season has been given a release date of the 15th of Jan.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

DomsBeard wrote: November 27th, 2018, 7:06 pm... Morrisons nothing...
Yeah our Morrisons doesn't even sell games any more. I know the chain used to, as I remember getting Modern Warfare 2 dirt cheap there on launch day.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

Not to be overly hyperbolic, but the movie version of Sonic the Hedgehog looks like an absolute abomination. The proportions, the fur - it just looks horrible from a character design point of view imo.

https://kotaku.com/the-internet-reacts- ... 1830984050
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

KissMammal wrote: December 10th, 2018, 8:06 pm Not to be overly hyperbolic, but the movie version of Sonic the Hedgehog looks like an absolute abomination. The proportions, the fur - it just looks horrible from a character design point of view imo.

https://kotaku.com/the-internet-reacts- ... 1830984050
I don't know... I just watched Alien: Covenant last night, and I'm thinking: crossover? If Sonic was chasing you around in the tight confines of a spaceship, it would be pretty terrifying! :shock:

That's what they were going for in the design right? Fear?
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

My expectations were already low but now I feel like it will be the lovechild of Sonic 06 and Sonic Boom.
countstex

Post by countstex »

With 2018 coming to an end, and it having been a rather good year for releases, if not quite on 2008 levels, I can't help looking forward and thinking 2019 is going to be somewhat more subdued. In fact I am coming to the opinion that many big games now are holding back ready for the next gen reveals we now look destined to get in 2020. Certainly Microsoft are already gearing up for this, whilst Sony are being very quiet indeed although I think that's because they have reverted to sitting on laurels mode that they love so much.
I'm not really complaining, I could be with a low intensity year to play through a few classics, but is this just me? Maybe it's just not games I am interested in on the horizon being the old man I am.
Suits

Post by Suits »

On a personal note, I’m really looking to 2019’s releases/news.

There’s some exciting stuff in the Nintendo pipes.

Yoshi, Luigi’s Mansion 3, then hopefully some more concrete news on Metroid, Animal Crossing (although the chances of those being 2019 are getting slimmer I feel).

I’m still not that ready for next generation, it still feels relatively recently that the .5 consoles came out.
countstex

Post by countstex »

Ah, well I haven't been on the Nintendo ship since the Wii so nothing for me on that front.
And I'm pretty sure we are settling in to an 8 year cycle with a 4 year hardware refresh.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

The first quarter is pretty quiet at the moment (if you’re not interested in Kingdom Hearts).

E3 is going to be quiet this year I think, Sony aren’t going at all (which points to them wanting to keep their powder dry for a ps5 announcement later in the year), Nintendo will be keeping to their usual thing of talking about stuff whenever they want to using the Directs.

I do think we’ll start seeing the first inkling of the next round of consoles, but I can’t see any pricing or release info coming.

However, traditionally these ‘transition’ years can also bring the most surprising and strong third party work (Final Fantasy 6 and Chrono Trigger, for example).

2019 is going to be the year where the current in vogue monetisation methods will start to drain away. The change to the way the Chinese market is going to be regulated going forward as well means you’re going to see a lot of companies tied to those business models really struggle. Now that might not seem like it matters, but the biggest players there like Tencent pretty much own everything that makes the AAA console side work too.

It’ll be a year of mass studio closures, government legislation, and even less risk taking from the mainstream publishers. But also a year where esports will be stronger than ever, and small third party projects will fill the gap left by first party teams all working on games we won’t see for years.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Flabyo wrote: December 19th, 2018, 4:18 pm The first quarter is pretty quiet at the moment (if you’re not interested in Kingdom Hearts).
When does the first quarter end exactly, March? Because the majority of the 2019 AAA titles I'm looking forward to (RE2, Sekiro, DMCV, FE Three Houses) are all set to release within the winter-spring period. I wouldn't discount it just yet.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Yeah, as ever it depends entirely on what you’re into but Q1 2019 is set to see the releases of (among many others):

Ace Combat 7
Resident Evil 2
Senran Kagura Burst Re:Newal
Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes
Tropico 6
Kingdom Hearts III
Psyvariar Delta
Trials Rising
Crackdown 3
Dead or Alive 6
Jump Force
Steins;Gate Elite
Anthem
Metro Exodus
Dirt Rally 2.0
Devil May Cry 5
The Division 2
Sekiro

As well as remasters of Onimusha 1, Tales of Vesperia, Bowser’s Inside Story and NSMBU.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Yeah, like I said, pretty quiet... (nothing there I’d buy myself, heh)
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

I wonder how Jump Force will do in a post-Dragonball FighterZ/Smash Bros. Ultimate world?

I think I'm gonna wait on Onimusha for the (hopefully) inevitable trilogy pack.

Definitly going to play Tales of Vesperia, since I missed it the first time around.

And, as of now, I have no interest in playing Anthem, but I really hope it's good enough to change my mind and not be another "sales did not meet expectations, EA dissolved Bioware" situation.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Wow, yeah, Anthem - remember that.

Kind of all gone a bit quiet that for a Q1 hasn’t it !?.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Suits wrote: December 19th, 2018, 6:53 pm Wow, yeah, Anthem - remember that.

Kind of all gone a bit quiet that for a Q1 hasn’t it !?.
Just a real quick spot during the Game Awards and even that was just more of the same.