Videogame News

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Todinho

Re: Videogame News

Post by Todinho »

At this point I think they are trying to upset the largest amount of people possible, I for one cant wait when they announce the games microtransactions and lootboxes system XD
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Flabyo wrote: October 28th, 2017, 8:43 am Well worth a read that. The story is of course way more complex than 'EA only want multiplayer games with micro transactions'.
I don't know about that. This seems to be the new trend that every big publisher is jumping on to wring every last dollar they can out of gamers. I, for one, expect my gaming purchases to drop dramatically when this becomes the norm.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Did you read the article?
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Nope, but considering Activision have recently filed multiple patents regarding loot boxes and how to gear players to buy them, I don't really need to.

I'm not casting aspersions on the writer of the article, I'm casting aspersions on the publishers, who are outright lying through their teeth about not canceling SP games in favour of MP games with loot boxes.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

And I’m saying you should read the article. Because it’s good.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

And I'm saying I don't need to, because it's obvious that publishers are lying about why they're canceling single player games. It's a moot point.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

The article isn't about loot boxes at all.
countstex

Post by countstex »

I would say it's less about trying to get 'more' money and just a reality of how they NEED to make money given we get so many games for 'free' now, or at least very cheaply.

This is the true cost of Games for Gold, PS+, and Humble Monthly. Not to mention sales where games go for $5 or less.

That said I haven't yet come across a game where I needed to buy anything extra, those things don't exist for people buying day 1, they are for those coming a year later. I have done for games that are truly pursuing the Free to Play model and I feel the game was fun so I wanted to give them something for it. But for every full price game, I've never paid a penny for any in-game loot, skins (unless of course they came as part of some deluxe bundle or season pass).
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Latest estimates for PSVR speculate that 1.5m units have been sold (it celebrated its first birthday a week or two ago), with >$500m in revenue for Sony. It's a drop in the ocean against 67.5m PS4s sold, but a significant chunk of income. Here's hoping they continue to support it (cf the Vita etc). .

https://www.roadtovr.com/xbox-one-x-vr- ... r-revenue/
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Alex79uk wrote: November 3rd, 2017, 7:29 am The article isn't about loot boxes at all.
Never mind, I'm not reading the bloody article. I don't need to. It's not worth having to put on my rubber boots to wade through a river of publisher BS.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

That's fine mate, nobody is going to make you read it...

Having read it though, I will say it certainly doesn't seem like they're lying about anything. The bottom line is if they thought they would see a return on their investment they wouldn't have cancelled it. I'm sure far greater minds than mine sat and analysed the market and came up with a decision that made the best business sense (which obviously isn't the best decision for players).
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Joshihatsumitsu wrote: October 26th, 2017, 3:51 am The third M2 Shot Triggers release, Mahou Daisakusen, has gone from the vague "Fall 2017" release date this morning, to November 2nd (next Thursday).

Of course, Japanese PSN digital download only (for the PS4), and it's going for ‎¥‎3700. I'll leave the exchange rate converting to whomever is interested.
I missed this!
I got Battle Garegga last Christmas but haven't looked into the two more recent releases yet.
Thanks Joshi.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Alex79uk wrote: November 3rd, 2017, 1:16 pm Having read it though, I will say it certainly doesn't seem like they're lying about anything. The bottom line is if they thought they would see a return on their investment they wouldn't have cancelled it.
The problem with this is "return on their investment" equals gouging consumers for all they're worth.
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

If anything, I'm surprised EA didn't cancel it sooner. If I'm reading the narrative right here, by the time the E3 footage turned up the project was already well on the ropes. I think this has a hell of a lot more to do with trying to craft new experiences out of well-established pop culture franchises, rather than about EA or publishers in general. Working with Star Wars and its owners has always been a bit of a logistical nightmare, for a lot of different forms of media.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Runic games shut down by their games-as-as-service overlords. Can we all concentrate our efforts and find some articles for ThirdDrawing to read? ;)
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

ratsoalbion wrote: November 3rd, 2017, 1:23 pm
Joshihatsumitsu wrote: October 26th, 2017, 3:51 am The third M2 Shot Triggers release, Mahou Daisakusen, has gone from the vague "Fall 2017" release date this morning, to November 2nd (next Thursday).

Of course, Japanese PSN digital download only (for the PS4), and it's going for ‎¥‎3700. I'll leave the exchange rate converting to whomever is interested.
I missed this!
I got Battle Garegga last Christmas but haven't looked into the two more recent releases yet.
Thanks Joshi.
They do sneak these titles out!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

See, if you read the article you’ll realise it’s a piece of investigative journalism about how the project was a failure long before any of the loot box stuff was even a discussion,

But by all mean continue to stomp around in your rubber boots of ‘I’m not listening’.

I’m done talking to you now.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Great video by Yongyea who talked to 2 former CD Projekt Red employees about the working enviroment there and how development there works, reallly good and enlightening it also explains why we havent heard anything about Cyberpunk 2077 in 4 years:

ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Sega announced Valkyria Chronicles 4 for PS4, Switch and XB1 for 2018. I'm really excited for it, for a number of reasons, but especially since battlefield sizes will not be limited due to the power of the PSP as was the case in 2 or 3.

No PC version for some reason though. :(

Warning: The first 2 minutes are office shots with a hyperbolic Japanese narrator, though given that the trailer is all cutscenes, it's where you can see glimpses of the typical Valkyria battle system being used in the game.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Didnt see that coming given the last Valkyria game that just came out this year, Im interested to see how they will expand the gameplay I would be a bit disapointed if it was just more of the same, though since we dont have many strategy games like it it wouldnt be too bad, storywise though it seems even more anime and cliché then before and it also looks like a rethread of the first game... yeah not looking foward to that.