Videogame News

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ThirdDrawing

Re: Videogame News

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Wow, that Sony conference was fucking terrible.

Spider-Man and God of War are next year. Far too many shooters.

Where the hell were the JRPGs Sony?
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Agreed. Truly dismal. A great 'opportunity' for TCGS fellas to genuinely disappoint James Farley with some fake announcements, and little else.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Amazingly not in the conference, Undertale is coming to PS4 and has a physical edition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-zO5hKz4cI
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Undertale is a game I've already bought once on Steam, haven't played yet (partly because I forget I own in, and party because I prefer gaming on my TV rather than my desktop), and the news that it's coming to PS4 means I'll probably buy it again anyway.

I may just hold off playing it until the PS4 release now.

Is it strange that I'm more excited about lower-budget, non-mainstream, franchise-building games? Who is E3 for again?
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Where the hell were Ni No Kuni, Ys 8 and Yakuza Kiwami, which are all due out this year!

It says a lot about the conferences when there's more JRPGs at the MS conference than the Sony one.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

ThirdDrawing wrote: June 13th, 2017, 7:04 am Where the hell were Ni No Kuni

There you go!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Sony ran for about an hour on Twitch *before* their press conference where they showed a bunch of other games.

The whole thing felt very muddled.
macstat

Post by macstat »

So articles about game canceled early this year called Scalebound" started popping up. Its not news but it gives more info about why project was canceled. Apparently there was "too much hype". Do you guys buy it ?

I personally think this is very much possible. Scalebound might be first victim to what happened to No Mans Sky. Microsoft could cancel the game just to avoid huge backlash after release if they felt Platinum couldnt deliver. This only shows that spewing venom on the internet is never a good idea, and its gonna affect someone in way you never imagined.

http://www.dualshockers.com/scalebound- ... ki-kamiya/
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Yeah I dont buy it, if there's one thing platinum has been good at is consistently delivering high quality games with limited resources, they never had huge budgets but were able to deliver some of the best AAA games of the last generation despite that, is it possible that this time they bit more then they could chew, yeah it is but I find much more likelly that Microsoft just didt care enough to see the project through. They probably got Scalebound as a way to appeal to hardcore gamers by saying: "Hey we got a Platinum exclusive" but when they realized how much money they'd have to put in they just cut and run because they didnt care, a similar thing happened to the phatom Dust remake in which Microsoft used to get on the good graces of gamers by saying "Hey we are reviving this niche thing!" but when the devs actually needed resources they just went: "nah" and closed the project. And about the whole hype thing, I dont buy it, I mean I know people were excited about it but it was nowhere levels of No Man's Sky or even something like Horizon, Im a big platinum fan and I wasnt even interested in it.
Bluebird55

Post by Bluebird55 »

I noticed Super Mario Odyssey is taking E3 by storm, few questions: what's it about? is E3 exclusively in the US? The aforementioned game sounds epic, the idea that you can use your hat to take control of any mob, never thought I would be beating Bowser as a Bullet Bill :D.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I've heard a few things about why scalebound might've hit the rocks, none of which really line up with what Phil says there. But 'bit off more than they can chew' seems to be the common factor in the different rumours.
Craig

Post by Craig »

A friend of a friend once got dumped with the reason from the boyfriend being he loved her too much.

I put as much stock in that as "We made this look too awesome!"

If it has hype - it's an opportunity to lean into it and develop it more. If you can't, that's a different issue.
countstex

Post by countstex »

SO ATARI are making a new console... guessing it will be some emulation type jobbie to play old 2600 era games on, maybe ST too.. who knows, maybe even some Jaguar stuff.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Straight emulation, so no remastering, but with leaderboards added.

Free to play, ad supported, ads not appearing during gameplay (if you played sonic cd since it went free on mobile, like that).

One off $1.99 per game if you decide you like it enough to want the ads gone from it.

Very different tactic here to Nintendo, be interesting to see how this goes. Especially as they're saying Saturn and dreamcast games as well...
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Just came to post about this. Interesting. I think it's a pretty cool move from Sega.

In other news, rumours abound about an L.A. Noire remaster for current gen including Switch. Now this is the only rockstar game I've ever actively disliked, but in the absence of backward compatibility on PlayStation I applaud any and all remasters.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

You mentioned the first of these 2 days ago Alex, thanks for that. A lunchtime with Crazy taxi even in a car in this heat is excellent. Sega saturn games on the go sounds fun too.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Pillars of Eternity Complete Edition has been announced for PS4

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/06 ... august-29/
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

mikeleddy83 wrote: June 21st, 2017, 10:23 pm You mentioned the first of these 2 days ago Alex, thanks for that. A lunchtime with Crazy taxi even in a car in this heat is excellent. Sega saturn games on the go sounds fun too.
Oooh that was part of it then? Cool. Yeah it really is a great port. If you missed my post grab it now, I'm not even a huge fan of the game but it's a lot of fun for a quick blast on mobile. Controls really well too, although I cannot work out how to drift!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

ThirdDrawing wrote: June 22nd, 2017, 2:32 am Pillars of Eternity Complete Edition has been announced for PS4

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/06 ... august-29/
Nice, I used to love the old Black Isle games and I reckon this would make an excellent remote play game provided the text was readable!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Blimey, had to dig pretty deep to find this thread! :lol:

Bit of a tenuous link to post on a videogames forum, but here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-40801867

Seems that all that brain training we were doing on the DS a few years back didn't really do anything for us! Far be it from me to disagree with scientists, however, but surely whatever you are doing to keep your brain active and challenged is a good thing?