Videogame News

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
James

Re: Videogame News

Post by James »

The finding seems to be that learning new skills provides more transferable (and therefore long-term) benefit than refining pre-existing skills. This is not necessarily a new position. Then again, the proponents of the study are also quoted as saying:

"For example, there was no evidence that playing sudoku would help you manage your finances any better"

Proving that they make the basic mistake of equating Sudoku's use of numbers with arithmetic. A silly, nonsensical error that somewhat undermines their credentials. ;-)
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Yeah, this seems like a bizarre study with... questionable methodology to me. The tips and examples they give are just basic, common sense steps towards a healthy lifestyle. Nothing more, nothing less.

Of course, it's obvious that your brain is not going to magically regenerate and wind back the clock simply because you've solved a bunch of puzzles and brain teasers. Whoever believes that is probably not that sharp to begin with.
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

Generally I steer clear of any health study reported in mainstream press, whether it's games related or not. They often fall foul of a combination of poor methodology (innocently put together or not) and journalists simply not having the time or knowledge to properly interrogate the study.

It's compounded even further when people take great pains to try and take something as horrendously complicated as the science of learning, and boil it down into bite-size stats or quick-fix training programs.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Furthermore, it was well established at the time (mid 2000s) that - as with most other games - there are certain benefits to playing as regards to brain activity, visual acuity, relaxation and all that, however ultimately playing Brain Training will mainly make you better at playing Brain Training.

Which is absolutely fine if you enjoy it!
Craig

Post by Craig »

With Brain Training, there is some scope for it helping you outside of Brain Training, but mostly just for activities directly related to it. If you want to be better at mental arithmetic, it's a pretty good way of practicing.

In Japan there were lots of training style games released. Many to practice Kanji (one even comes with a novelty brush like stylus!) and a good chunk to learn English. There was a real boom in the DS era for obvious reasons, but a few weeks ago I came across a Gameboy English trainer, and they even repurposed Popey NES as an English Edutainment game back in the day!
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

I was never gonna get Shadow of War but the microtransactions would've turned me right off but since it's WB the horror show doesnt stop there but this, this is grotesque, when you just dont double down but quadruple down on your shitty bussiness pratices:

In the meanwhile I find this hilarious :D
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Ok so I thought we achieved the limit of how awfull WB could be in trying to squeeze the most money out of Shadow of War but no we havent, we have achieved a new low beyond anything EA,Konami or Ubisoft have ever done, WB is trying to profit out of the tragic death of one of their employees and in the most disguisting and underhanded fashion by pretending that it's charity...Totalbiscuit breaks it down in a sensible and calm way(Also unlike WB he's not trying to profit out of a tragedy and is actually donating all the ad revenue from this video to charity) but from my part Im never even considering buying a WB product ever again:
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

On top of the recently announced Fear Effect remake, they're also remaking Nightmare Creatures.

http://gematsu.com/2017/08/fear-effect-reinvented-

http://gematsu.com/2017/09/nightmare-cr ... onsoles-pc

Oh and Dead Rising 4 is coming to the PS4

http://gematsu.com/2017/09/dead-rising- ... december-5

Oh yeah, and a new No More Heroes game for the Switch.

http://gematsu.com/2017/08/travis-strik ... ced-switch
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Man I really loved Dead Rising 1 and 2, but wasn't 4 pretty much panned? Maybe not by reviewers but I haven't heard people on forums etc. say much good about it. Still, I'm half interested. No More Heroes on Switch sounds good though.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/09 ... s4-nov-14/

La Noire on PS4/Switch/Xbox One

No idea why but this made me very excited. Really enjoyed it when it came out and Cole Phelps's over reactions
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I really didn't like that game at all, but I hope it sells well just to encourage Rockstar in to resurrecting some of their other dead franchiches.

(I just really, really want another Max Payne game. I'd be happy with a PS4 port of the third game, or better still the full trilogy remade for current gen).
Craig

Post by Craig »

Very interesting it's coming to Switch. I enjoyed the game at the time but the overall story arch could have been stronger, which for a story based game is a bit of an issue.

But I'm glad Rockstar are at least open to Switch titles. We won't be seeing Red Dead 2 on it, but it's not unimaginable for them to rerelease Redemption on PS4/Xbox 1 as a hype building exercise, and hopefully the Switch can join in on the party, too.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Bit random and I wasn't really sure where to put it, but does anyone think South Park: The Stick Of Truth will come out for PS4 as a stand alone release? Originally it was only for people who pre-ordered The Fractured But Whole, but surely they'll release it for everyone to buy at some point won't they? I got about half way through on PS3 before I got my PS4 and moved the PS3 upstairs in to the kids room so don't really play on it any more. I would happily double dip if it got a stand alone release.
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

Alex79uk wrote: September 8th, 2017, 9:51 am Bit random and I wasn't really sure where to put it, but does anyone think South Park: The Stick Of Truth will come out for PS4 as a stand alone release? Originally it was only for people who pre-ordered The Fractured But Whole, but surely they'll release it for everyone to buy at some point won't they? I got about half way through on PS3 before I got my PS4 and moved the PS3 upstairs in to the kids room so don't really play on it any more. I would happily double dip if it got a stand alone release.
Almost certainly yes. I'm sure when I was covering the game on TA I saw a press release from Ubisoft heavily suggesting that it wasn't exclusive to TFBW pre-orders. I wouldn't be surprised if it hit the store as soon as the sequel does.
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

Okami re-remaster rumours swirling again, this time with Xbox One and PC ports. PS4/XONE allegedly Dec 12.

As someone who has missed out on it twice, I'm excited.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Not only that there are rumours swirling about remasters of Shenmue 1 and 2 and Bayonetta/Vanquish.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

The Okami remaster has just been confirmed, for Japan at least, in late December.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I will be resisting the temptation to get this game a fourth time and not playing it >_<
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Or, you could, you know, play it.
It's wonderful (after the first few hours)!
:)
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Oh yeah, Okami! I downloaded the HD version which is sitting on my PS3 with 50 other games... digital games are not highly visible once the console is off!

I think I'll skip the new version, and try to remember that I already own this game!