Videogame News

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Re: Videogame News

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum » February 2nd, 2019, 11:54 am

Yeah see I never got round to the Cave episode! Shmups aren’t really my thing, mainly because I’m a bit rubbish at most of them with the odd rare exception.

Combine that with the fact that I was a Sega kid who never owned a SNES (as were most of my mates), and can see why my knowledge of niche SNES shmups is shamefully limited!

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » February 2nd, 2019, 12:41 pm

The Aleste game on MD was widely known as ‘MUSHA’ - any help?

Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum » February 2nd, 2019, 1:41 pm

ratsoalbion wrote:
February 2nd, 2019, 12:41 pm
So the box art to MUSHA rings the quietest of bells, most likely from seeing it back in the day in one of the local independent game stores that used to get in import Mega Drive stuff.

Looking at screenshots though i wouldn’t be able to pick it out in a line-up other than through a process of elimination if it was with a bunch of better know series like Darius, Parodius, R-Type etc.

I’m a lost cause Leon...

Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod » February 2nd, 2019, 5:07 pm

ratsoalbion wrote:
February 2nd, 2019, 12:41 pm
Honestly, I'm a really big SHMUP fan, and even I have very limited knowledge of the Aleste series. It's possible that they have more exposure in Europe - I'm only aware of (rare, ludicrously expensive) titles on the Genesis and SCD. And I don't even think they're all that great, if I'm being honest. I'd rather have Raiden or Thunder Force or Soldier Blade or any number of Toaplan shooters for my money.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » February 2nd, 2019, 5:25 pm

Of course Super Aleste was known (in typical fashion) as (lol) SPACE MEGAFORCE in the US.

Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod » February 2nd, 2019, 5:29 pm

Aaaaaaand it runs for $400 CDN. Big oof.

Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum » February 2nd, 2019, 6:47 pm

ratsoalbion wrote:
February 2nd, 2019, 5:25 pm
Of course Super Aleste was known (in typical fashion) as (lol) SPACE MEGAFORCE in the US.
Now that's name I can get behind! I'd be all over SPAAAAAACE MEGAFOOOOORCE!!!! :D

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » February 2nd, 2019, 6:56 pm

You and Donald Trump.
😆

Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu » February 2nd, 2019, 9:14 pm

Yeah, rarities and oddities going for obscene prices very much limits the audience, and unfortunately is the norm. I guess that's why I'm quite excited about what M2 are doing, shining a bit of light on some forgotten and genuinely great games... assuming you get on with that genre!

If you were to go by the wikipedia entry, the reason The Great Ragtime Show never got ported was because it's unpopularity in arcade centers, which is... vague. I'm not going to say that it's the greatest of great shmups, but it is pretty quirky, in that if your plane gets shot down you still continue on foot, leaving you very vulnerable with your pea-shooter gun, and by commandeering other vehicles, horses, or whatever you can regain firepower and continue on.

Wait... Trump... shmups... SPAAAAAACE MEGAFOOOOORCE?

Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum » February 4th, 2019, 3:34 pm

So this is potentially huge news - Xbox Live being integrated into Switch!

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019 ... tch-mobile

Not only a big thing in and of itself, but this is a big insight into the kinds of collaborative conversations going on between Microsoft and Nintendo behind closed doors.

I might be making a leap here, but with all the recent talk of game streaming services, and Microsoft already with it's head in the 'play anywhere' space, and Project X Cloud in the works, could we be heading towards a future where the Switch can stream Xbox software over the cloud?

Microsoft doesn't have a handheld gaming platform to make proper on-the-go gaming a reality in it's cloud ecosystem, and Nintendo clearly has an appetite for it with the Resident Evil 7 and Assassin's Creed Odyssey experiments in Japan. It all kind of makes sense and I don't see a downside to either party - Microsoft gets access to sell software direct to the Switch userbase, plus it's a potential gateway to people buying Xbox consoles if they get hooked and want the full-fat 4K experience vs the handheld/much lower res docked one on Switch.

From Nintendo's perspective it would be a big boost to have Xbox exclusives and all the AAA third party titles streamable on their system. Very few are on there natively now as it is, and as we head into the next gen there's no way things are being squeezed onto the platform without huge compromises if they can be achieved at all.

Maybe I'm getting over excited but how awesome would this be?!

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » February 4th, 2019, 4:13 pm

That is indeed big news, would not have expected that! :o

Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu » February 4th, 2019, 8:23 pm

All Microsoft needs now is games! ;)

dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd » February 6th, 2019, 5:52 am

Not much to get out of this Inside Xbox last night but...!

Shadow of the Tomb Raider will be on Gamepass tomorrow
Sea of Thieves will have a free to play week, if invited from an existing player

DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard » February 6th, 2019, 7:59 am

dezm0nd wrote:
February 6th, 2019, 5:52 am
Not much to get out of this Inside Xbox last night but...!

Shadow of the Tomb Raider will be on Gamepass tomorrow
Sea of Thieves will have a free to play week, if invited from an existing player

Return To Arkham too. Was going to pick up Shadow Of The Tomb Raider in the next couple of weeks!.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » February 7th, 2019, 6:48 pm

GTA online cheater ordered to pay $150'000 in damages to Take Two.

https://www.usgamer.net/amp/grand-theft ... in-damages

What do we think about this? I'm in two minds. There needs to be some sort of action taken against cheaters, but should that be a ban, or actual real legal action? On one hand, it's just a game. Cheats have been in games since day one, but when that cheating impacts others enjoyment...?

I don't know! What do you think?

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » February 17th, 2019, 6:32 pm

Don't think I've seen anyone talking about this, but Minecraft Story Mode is now availible on Netflix. Not sure if it's the same as the actual game version, but it's a choose your own story affair along the lines of Bandersnatch. Netflix flags it as a game with a little controller icon in the corner of the thumbnail. This excites me, because it suggests there are more to come. Unlikely I know, but imagine Telltale's back catalogue on Netflix! That would be incredible! Really excited to see where this leads, and whilst this Minecraft one doesn't interest me particularly, I'm definitely going to give it a go!

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo » February 17th, 2019, 6:45 pm

One of the reasons Telltale suddenly ran out of money was Netflix cancelling the contract they had.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » February 17th, 2019, 7:00 pm

Oh really? I wonder why they did that. Could have been huge, and brought so many people in to gaming.

Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu » February 22nd, 2019, 12:55 am

The already small to non-existent gaming industry in Australia is now roughly around 10% small, thanks to another round of EA layoffs.

I understand: sometimes it's hard for CEO's on $20 million+ a year to scrape by.

Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu » March 4th, 2019, 10:25 am

More month old news: exA-Arcadia hardware!

Though I’m greatly doubtful of an arcade/game-centre revival outside of Japan, there’s a humble PC-hardware-based logic to the approach.

As much as I like Aka to Blue on my iPhone, proper joystick support is welcome.