Videogame Criticism

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Todinho

Re: Videogame Criticism

Post by Todinho »

Jim sterling did a great video on emulation,I've been waiting for years for someone to do a video like this explaining why emulation shouldnt be a dirty word and how the "stigma" around it is stupid.

Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Such a great video reguarding the so called cultural appropriation in Overwatch Skins,it tackles a point I think people on both sides of the issue often miss:
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

I was searching for videos about Arcanum and Troika games and I came by accident on this amazing video that talks about Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines,it touches on every aspect that makes that game so great and unique as well as it's shortcoming and history,really interesting watch for those who played the game or never heard of it!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

This one is *well* worth your time:

Eurogamer on Tomb Raider and the rise and fall of Core Design.

If you read their long form Lionhead piece earlier in the year, it's the same only for a studio with an even more extreme boom / bust cycle.

And to entice you in, a quote:
"mostly, computer game development is people wanting to stab each other in the face"
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I literally just posted this piece on our Facebook page.

Please give our page a 'Like' if you haven't already, forum people:
https://www.facebook.com/caneandrinse/
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I'm one of those that tends to keep Facebook very much at arms length, heh.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Sure, I know not everyone is active on there, but really it's like any social media space in that you curate your own environment.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

A nice look into the significance of projectiles in fighting games. It's like an expansion on Seth Killian's Domination 101 article on 2D vs. 3D fighters that he wrote years ago and that I can't find any working link to anymore.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

This is a must watch video by CrowbCat showing the Dead Rising 1 and 4 side by side and how more technically impressive and detailed Dead Rising 1 is despite being 10 years older, it's really incredible how a game can have better textures and still be worse on so many levels even when it comes down to just techinical stuff:
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Ah I'll have a watch of that later. I really enjoyed DR1 and the second one was even better, but never got the chance to play the later ones. Are the PS4 remakes any good?
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Todinho wrote:This is a must watch video by CrowbCat showing the Dead Rising 1 and 4 side by side and how more technically impressive and detailed Dead Rising 1 is despite being 10 years older, it's really incredible how a game can have better textures and still be worse on so many levels even when it comes down to just techinical stuff
Right, yeah... I'm playing through Ninja Gaiden Black on the original Xbox right now and really in awe just how much more smooth, fluid and polished everything is in comparison to a fair number of games out today.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Michiel K wrote:I'm playing through Ninja Gaiden Black on the original Xbox right now and really in awe just how much more smooth, fluid and polished everything is in comparison to a fair number of games out today.
Especially its own sequels.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

KSubzero1000 wrote:
Michiel K wrote:I'm playing through Ninja Gaiden Black on the original Xbox right now and really in awe just how much more smooth, fluid and polished everything is in comparison to a fair number of games out today.
Especially its own sequels.
Pretty much.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

I think Im streching a bit the definition of this thread but I saw yesterday 2 really good videos, one from the underappreciated Stop Skeletons from Fighting and SuperBunnyhop about Yooka-Laylee and Hitman respectivelly that I think are pretty interesting:

Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

LOL, I just watched those 2 exact same videos!
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

I rather like this channel. I find his reviews rather good and thoughtful usually. I am not affiliated with this channel in any way.

https://www.youtube.com/user/DefunctGamer/videos
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

That history of collectathons video raised an interesting observation about the trend towards less collectables in the latter part of Rare's N64 era. I think putting the notes in nests in Banjo Tooie might have been a reaction to the ridiculous amount of doodads to collect in Donkey Kong 64. However, this could also be why many feel the worlds are too big in Tooie and can easily get lost. In the original Banjo, notes were placed on pathways as a signpost that you have not been down this path or explored this particular area meaning that your progress through the worlds was easier for you to file away in your mind. If 100 notes were strewn over the world, it might have made navigation a fair bit easier for many players. I can understand wanting to scale back the collectables after the feedback many had about DK64 but the way they handled the notes felt like an overreaction to me, I mean come on, 100 notes vs 500 bananas? No contest! They really did not need to scale it back that much. I admire Tooie for a lot of the changes it does but keeping it so that you collect 100 individual notes may have made this gargantuan adventure a lot less intimidating to some players.

Having said that, Tooie's sparse placement of the notes was done a lot better than the quills in Yooka Laylee. There are literally areas of certain worlds where a single quill is hidden in an obscure recess in stark contrast to the pathway of notes in the Banjo games. This makes collecting all 200 to get a Pagie a real pain in the backside and getting 199 out of 200 and scouring a level to get the last one is not my idea of a good time. If there is a sequel that is definitely a thing Playtonic does need to sort out!
AndrewBrown

Post by AndrewBrown »

I'm gonna be obnoxious and link to my own stuff. Please feel free to tell me that's not cool if it's not cool. I'm so bad at promoting myself I have no idea what the boundaries are because none of it ever feels okay to me.

https://playcritically.wordpress.com/20 ... -humanity/

This piece started as a simple character piece about Carver in The Walking Dead Season Two, but kind of exploded into a wider discussion because Carver isn't really a character, at least not a very good one, and more represents wider concepts of Season Two and The Walking Dead as a whole.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I've got no problems with people linking their own stuff at all, unless it's like alt-right shenanigans or whatever!
AndrewBrown

Post by AndrewBrown »

No promises when I play Wolfenstein: The New Order this summer.