Grand Theft Auto / GTA Online

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
JaySevenZero
Admin

Grand Theft Auto / GTA Online

Post by JaySevenZero »

Here's the latest trailer for what is possibly the most anticipated game of 2013 (and what is highly likely to be one of the biggest sellers too).

With Rockstar's recent offerings (Red Dead Redemption, LA Noire and Max Payne) proving that they have ditched the tabloid baiting of old and become one of the best developers out there, the hype machine for their next game in the GTA series is gonna hit fever pitch over the coming months.

I'm already curious to know more about the bit with the dog!
NokkonWud

Re: All things Grand Theft Auto

Post by NokkonWud »

It's something I'll definitely be buying, but it's still not really on my "must have" radar with the likes of Battlefield 4, Tomb Raider, Last of Us, Ni No Kuni, Watch Dogs, Crysis 3, Dead Space 3, Gears of War: Judgment and BioShock: Infinite, but I'm sure it will be come nearer the time.

Safe to say 2013 is set to be a powerhouse year in terms of game releases already.
Sean

Post by Sean »

I'm pretty excited for it. I'd put it on my to-buy list, but, that list isn't as large as Karl's.

My only hope is that the story isn't yet another satire on "the American dream."

I'm sure it will be, because that's Rockstar's wheelhouse, but, I'd like to see them stretch a bit.
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

This will be without a doubt a "Day One" purchase for me. I've grown up playing GTA from the first game on PS1. Rockstar are one of the best, reliable developers out there. So Hell Yeah I'm getting this.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

I'm not sure there's another game that has "must buy" written on it as large as this one, very excited!

Curious a little on the tabloid baiting thing, do you mean the Max Clifford era?
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

mikeleddy83 wrote:Curious a little on the tabloid baiting thing, do you mean the Max Clifford era?
Kinda, it was the time around the Manhunt games. I know that the games themselves went down well with critics and were praised specifically for the mechanics, however, it also showed how savy Rockstar were as a publisher as the game was almost single-handedly promoted by the tabloids at the time by calling for these games to be removed. At the time I felt that it was almost designed knowingly, with its controversial subject matter, that it would promote such a response. As has been proven time and time again from the publication of Lady Chatterly's Lover in 1960, to the video nasties of the 1980's, that any talk of banning something always results in both a boost in interest and sales.
TomFum

Post by TomFum »

Holy Shit is all i can say to that trailer.

Thats a day one purchase for me, im a little annoyed that it wont be coming out on the PC, but time will tell on that one and when it does i will buy it on PC for sure.

Again Holy Shit, looking forward to much to this. Well done rockstar
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

mikeleddy83 wrote:I'm not sure there's another game that has "must buy" written on it as large as this one, very excited!
Not even BioShock Infinite or The Last of Us? Can't wait for those two.

The issue I have is that I already feel like I've seen everything GTA has to offer. Sure the city can be bigger, we can have a few new vehicles and it will look better, but GTA IV was phenomenally monotonous and looked like it ran out of ideas then. As Sean said, it'll run on the same tropes it always has done.

That said, I'll still buy it, but I don't get excited for GTA like most do.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

NokkonWud wrote:Not even BioShock Infinite or The Last of Us? Can't wait for those two.
I am somewhat excited for the new BioShock and The Last of Us but the blanket of mystery for GTA is well intact as always. I almost feel like I've seen too much of those games already, when will the marketing machines catch on to this over exposure issue. Ni No Kuni though (great choice), that's been out in Japan for a year and I'm still very much putting that next to this for most anticipated of 2013.

Mulled it over a little more and I think "somewhat excited" is a gross understatement, I'm confident I'll be picking both up at launch.
Guy_JD

Post by Guy_JD »

TomFum wrote: im a little annoyed that it wont be coming out on the PC
WHUT!

I'm fairly sure this will instantly red ring my old 1st gen 360 so I'd much rather get it on PC, don't fancy buying it and having to fork out for a new Xbox on top of that.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

TomFum wrote:Thats a day one purchase for me, im a little annoyed that it wont be coming out on the PC, but time will tell on that one and when it does i will buy it on PC for sure.
I would think that it will be released for the PC, just not day one. All of their recent offerings (with the exception of Red Dead Redemption) have been released on the format but never on the same day as the console release.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

There will definitely be a PC version not long after the console release. I'd stake my house on it (if I had one).
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

As long as its not released near Aliens/Dead Space 3 or Crysis 3 it'll be a day one for me too. GTA IV left me a little bored to be honest but this looks fun!.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

At the end of December Rockstar released a handful of shots from the forthcoming game which included sharks, subs, jets and a dog.

NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

DomsBeard wrote:As long as its not released near Aliens/Dead Space 3 or Crysis 3 it'll be a day one for me too. GTA IV left me a little bored to be honest but this looks fun!.
All three of those games are released in February.
Dead Space 3 - Feb 8th
Aliens: Colonial Marines - Feb 12th
Crysis 3 - Feb 22nd

Those dates are off the top of my head, but I'm pretty sure they're right. I expect GTA V will be May.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Oh dear I didn't realise Crysis 3 was so soon! February's going to be a skint month! :). Think I'll hold fire before getting Aliens though juries still out for me.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

DomsBeard wrote:Oh dear I didn't realise Crysis 3 was so soon! February's going to be a skint month! :). Think I'll hold fire before getting Aliens though juries still out for me.
You also have Hitman HD Collection and Ni No Kuni releasing in February too. It's potentially a crazy month. I've cancelled my Aliens: Colonial Marines Pre-Order (CE), Ni No Kuni (CE) and I'm buying both Crysis 3 and Dead Space 3 for MP and SP respectively. Trying to buy less this year so I'll be waiting for price drops for many games.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

MrTingg and I go head to head in a drag race down by the airport.

Making your own modes in open world games is a hell of a lot of fun.

Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

GTA 5 is probably my only essential day one purchase on the horizon.

San Andreas is still my favourite of the series. I'll do a big proper post when I'm not on my phone.
Bakers_12

Post by Bakers_12 »

Ok lads I'm going to say it GTA hit its peak at vice city as a whole package

It was my fave game/story every thing since has been very good but missing something since. Or I'm I missing thing? I some times heAr its a age thing?