Geoff Keighley's The Game Awards

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
AndrewBrown

Re: Geoff Keighley's The Game Awards

Post by AndrewBrown »

If I understand the situation correctly, the shift to catering towards the Chinese market is a fairly recent phenomenon. I know for years Blizzard couldn't get Wrath of the Lich King released there because there were skeletons everywhere. They had to reskin basically the entire game.

Now insert a conspiracy theory about Pandaria being an extremely flattering pastiche of Chinese fantasy here.

I'm also talking broadly about popular modern art in general; I think videogames do still have a hard time getting into the Chinese market (which certain notable exceptions) which is why those ripoffs of Counter-Strike and Overwatch, so baffling in their existence to us in the West, are so popular and necessary over there.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Flabyo wrote:Anyone who treats marketing information as a promise is going to have a very hard time going through life in general I think.
I did read everything after this point, but this hits the nail on the head for me. The consumer has to assume responsibility for the purchasing choices they make at the end of the day. The world is not an ideal place, and it never will be. Do your research, have a healthy distrust of authority, question things... you know, common sense.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

The console manufacturers and the big publishers all play nice because they've been hoping for the ban on console sales to be lifted (which finally was recently) and then hoping for some sort of crackdown on piracy as part of some trade deal. I suspect that's wishful thinking now that the president elect seems to have decided he'd rather escalate a trade war instead.

China is a vast market though, even a small number of legit sales is going to make you more money than you would in, say, Italy (which is oddly a bit of a wasteland when it comes to console game sales, they prefer PC games).
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Anybody watching tonight?
Starts at 2:30 CET / 1:30 in the UK.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

LORD no.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Did I miss any unpleasant news or something? I'm just hoping for a sneak peek at some upcoming games.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Not me.

Really hope Bryan Dechart wins Best Performance. Surprised to see Red Dead Redemption 2 on there as the online is not even properly rolled out yet.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

No, it’s just not my cup of tea. And it’s at 1.30am on a weeknight. And I’m 46.

I’ll enjoy catching up with any interesting news in the morning though!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Ah, gotcha. With that blunt response I thought there might have been some political shenanigan or other! :lol:

I totally get people rejecting award shows and I agree that they're superfluous / self-congratulatory for the most part. But I also enjoy watching surprise trailers and the one or the other appearance of developers I like. Bit of a guilty pleasure.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

No need for pleasures to be guilty, unless it’s torturing animals or something.

Our industry insiders have told us to expect some very cool reveals...
Suits

Post by Suits »

Metroid.

Anything Metroid.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I do wish they’d do this one on a weekend so Europe can stay up and watch it.

As it is, I’ll watch the trailers in the morning and probably not be too fussed about who won what.

(Don’t get me wrong, it’s nice to win these things, I’ve got two BAFTAs you know, but this particular show seems to treat the actual awards as the afterthought to the adverts)
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

I'm too behind to have played any of the nominees, but, like most people, I'm looking forward to the announcements. Capcom suggesting they might be bringing an old franchise back has me excited for Dino Crisis or Onimusha.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Having stayed up for everything E3 and been absolutely shagged for work, I've learned my lesson. Also I don't want to be so exhausted I'm anhedonic because I'm planning a Smash orgy tomorrow night.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Award shows in general definitely fall under the category of "I'm not interested in watching it/it's purely a marketing thing, but sure, let's debate"!

I'll look up results later... I don't care, yet, I'm curious about peoples opinions, and trying to understand their perspective when I inevitably disagree!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Solid show, but pretty dull overall. No Death Stranding, no Fable, no Metroid. Psychonauts 2, a handful of interesting indie games and the new DMC5 trailer all look promising, but that's about it for me. Not sure what those cool reveals were supposed to be, but perhaps some hype trailers got pulled at the last minute like at E3.

And despite some of my growing misgivings with the game, I'm happy that GoW won.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Never usually annoyed by this kind of thing but don't get God Of War winning best action/adventure. I have played every game nominated and found it the least interesting to play but then it is opinions at the end of the day. Maybe I need to give it another go.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

MORTAL KOMBAT!

I mean, everyone kinda already knew that existed, but still nice to have a date for it,

I also like the way they’re handling it, rather than a slow drip feed of reveal info they’ve gone ‘here’s a bit of cg to show it exists, we’ll do a live stream to show the whole thing off for the fans in January, and it’s out in April.

It’s a different approach to Smash and it’s ‘you’ll know everything about the game by the time we’re done talking about it for over a year’.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

(Also Team Ninja are making Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, that’s not one anyone saw coming)
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Flabyo wrote: December 7th, 2018, 7:49 am MORTAL KOMBAT!

I mean, everyone kinda already knew that existed, but still nice to have a date for it,

I also like the way they’re handling it, rather than a slow drip feed of reveal info they’ve gone ‘here’s a bit of cg to show it exists, we’ll do a live stream to show the whole thing off for the fans in January, and it’s out in April.

It’s a different approach to Smash and it’s ‘you’ll know everything about the game by the time we’re done talking about it for over a year’.
So excited about this!!!. I was thinking about this the other day when I saw Negan in Tekken as he should be in MK.