Retro gaming

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Retro gaming

Post by ratsoalbion »

Absolutely, but it's not the use of language that bothers me so much as that need to compartmentalise and pigeonhole things, and the need to identify as a certain 'type' of gamer.

There have been some ridiculous conversations in and around Retro Gamer mag over the years regarding what era the publication should cover. With some readers insisting that even PS1 era stuff is too recent and that 'retro' is only 8 and 16-bit.

They were saying this when the magazine launched well over a decade ago and they're still saying it now when the PS1 is older now than some of the 16-bit games that were featured in the early days of the magazine. Absurd as far as I'm concerned.

It's been an entirely conscious decision to use the term 'retro' as little as possible throughout Cane and Rinse's history, but as I said, I do understand the use in the context of a thread such as this one.

I'm getting Battle Garegga for Christmas!
:)
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

ratsoalbion wrote:I'm getting Battle Garegga for Christmas! :)
Not 8 or 16 bit = not RETRO. :P

Actually, I wanted to say... YAYYYY!!!
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

ratsoalbion wrote:I'm getting Battle Garegga for Christmas!
Sir, colour me envious! :D Sounds like a pretty amazing Christmas ahead for you.

Just so everyone is on the same page, the Wii U is currently "current gen", and as of early next year it's instantly "retro", right? :D
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Joshihatsumitsu wrote:
Sir, colour me envious! :D Sounds like a pretty amazing Christmas ahead for you.

Just so everyone is on the same page, the Wii U is currently "current gen", and as of early next year it's instantly "retro", right? :D
Going by specs, the Wii and the Wii U were already retro on the day of their release. :D
Joshihatsumitsu

Michiel K wrote:
Joshihatsumitsu wrote:

Going by specs, the Wii and the Wii U were already retro on the day of their release. :D
Simultaneously "current" and "retro"? Nintendo really do know what they're doing!
ratsoalbion wrote:
I'm getting Battle Garegga for Christmas!

I totally forgot to ask... I assume it's the Saturn version? Not that any version of that game is cheap, but that would be the most "affordable" version around.
Michiel K wrote:It was one of the first games I went after when I got my NTSC-J Saturn, as it was much more affordable than an AES or MVS cart... and I must say I was pretty disappointed.

One would have thought that with RAM expansion the Saturn could have easily handled any NEO-GEO game, but there is more slowdown and the backgrounds and some special move effects are more pixelated and blockier than in the original, which makes it a bit harsh on the eyes. The disc didn't cost me much, so I was not too bothered, but I wouldn't go out of your way to get this version.
I may keep it on the watch list, but just a bit further down... thanks for the feedback.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Joshihatsumitsu wrote:I totally forgot to ask... I assume it's the Saturn version? Not that any version of that game is cheap, but that would be the most "affordable" version around.
No, PS4:
http://www.play-asia.com/battle-garegga ... /13/70aj2z
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

That'll be great!

Would love to try Battle Garegga so will probably give it go when it arrives digitally on PS4. I've always been tempted by it on Saturn but it's very pricey and I am sadly absolute bobbins at shmups so never seemed worth the investment given that I'd probably get stuck pretty sharpish! :roll:
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Sinclair Gregstrum wrote:That'll be great!

Would love to try Battle Garegga so will probably give it go when it arrives digitally on PS4. I've always been tempted by it on Saturn but it's very pricey and I am sadly absolute bobbins at shmups so never seemed worth the investment given that I'd probably get stuck pretty sharpish! :roll:
The secret to becoming decent at shoot 'em ups is just to keep at it. Find one you find particularly fun and play a single credit (or multiple single credits) a day and you'll get there. It took me about a year of playing Mushihimesama Futari on and off before things fell in place and I started to understand how to play bullet hell shooters, i.e. taking the initiative to guide aimed enemy bullets and 'herd' them across the screen while focusing on dodging the larger spreads and patterns from bigger enemies, instead of just frantically trying to dodge everything in a state of perpetual panic. If I look back at my oldest stored replays I can only shake my head now.

That said, I haven't gotten the 1 credit clear on any danmaku yet. A combination of not dedicating enough time and chronic lapses in concentration when things are going smoothly, I'm afraid.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

ratsoalbion wrote:Absolutely, but it's not the use of language that bothers me so much as that need to compartmentalise and pigeonhole things, and the need to identify as a certain 'type' of gamer.

There have been some ridiculous conversations in and around Retro Gamer mag over the years regarding what era the publication should cover. With some readers insisting that even PS1 era stuff is too recent and that 'retro' is only 8 and 16-bit.

They were saying this when the magazine launched well over a decade ago and they're still saying it now when the PS1 is older now than some of the 16-bit games that were featured in the early days of the magazine. Absurd as far as I'm concerned.
For someone such as yourself Leon, and me, and I'm sure many others in the C&R community, monikers such as being a 'retro gamer' aren't relevant and its easy to dismiss them as we have very broad tastes that spread across decades of the medium. However, looking at it from beyond our perspective and seeing it from the view of people that only or primarily like games from past generations, they want and need a tag by which to identify themselves. There are a huge number of gamers out there that don't see themselves as just 'gamers' as they are passionate, proud retro gamers who want to be recognised as such.

It's seems to be true to a lesser extent these days but music has always been a medium where you'll find people passionate about one particular thing. You could argue that music is just music in the way we argue games are games, but Mods, Punks, Teddy Boys, Beliebers (!)....some people like to be compartmentalised and part of a niche.

Those conversations about what classes as retro though.....now that does sound annoying! :|
Joshihatsumitsu

ratsoalbion wrote:
Joshihatsumitsu wrote:I totally forgot to ask... I assume it's the Saturn version? Not that any version of that game is cheap, but that would be the most "affordable" version around.
No, PS4:
http://www.play-asia.com/battle-garegga ... /13/70aj2z
Ooooooo.... :o I had no idea! Thanks for the link as well... that would be the most affordable version now!
Suits

Post by Suits »

So, I've been slowly upgrading my Super Nintendo set up, in the quest to get things as clear and visually satisfying as possible.

I never set out to do this but when I started getting seriously back into my SNES a year ago, I made the jump to a basic 21" CRT and was blown away by the jump in visual and lag free play.

That soon stepped up sourcing and getting a PVM, then going full RGB, then getting a Super Famicom to get the full 60hz.

The only real way for me to go after that, was to get a later produced Super Famicom. As with most consoles, as they age they go through certain revisions, some are visual, some are internal, some are both. Most designed to save on production costs as technology develops over time.

In the Super Nintendo's instance, towards the late years, Nintendo condensed the multiple chip sets, into a single chip, referred too as the 1CHIP consoles. There were then 3 revisions to that chip 01, 02 & 03.

It turns out that these later 1CHIP consoles give a considerably sharper RGB display. Nintendo probably didn't strive for this result but was a side effect of using newer, better, chips.

Getting hold of a 1CHIP console is a bit of a lottery, there are a few clues but the only real way to know is by looking at the circuit board inside.

I was after a 02 variant of the 1CHIP as this best suited my PVM (Professional Visual Monitor) set up.

I'd gambled a few times on consoles that came up cheap and I suspected them to be a 1CHIP but alas none were, so I eventually went the more expensive route and bought one straight out.

It gives a sharper image, even to the uninformed eye but to the informed eye and knowing what to look for it's a decent jump in visual sharpness.

I understand that to most this will seem silly and a bit OTT but to someone like me, who has thoroughly enjoyed this adventure in achieving a super crisp and clear way to play my SNES games on original hardware, it's wonderful.

It's something that doesn't really come across very well in pictures and due to the way that CRT's work is almost impossible to capture. You really have to see it to believe it.

Anyway, I think I can finally relax now and get back to enjoying the games, which is what it's really all about :lol: , although having it look nice is enhances that experience !!

These are some of my actual boards.

This is a older, multi chip SNES board.

This is later 1CHIP console.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

One of my best mates has gone through a bit of a phase recently. He bought a SNES and we've had a number of great nights recently hammering Bomberman, SF2 and Mario Kart. I really do love the feel of the pad and it's just damn good fun. It's also prompted me to get a load of classic SNES stuff off 3DS VC. I've never played Super Metroid, or Link to the Past, for example, let alone Earthbound and Super Castlevania. I'm really really enjoying myself and it's the perfect way to fill my gaming time til the Switch arrives. (And for the seven months after I finish BotW!).
Joshihatsumitsu

Suits wrote:So, I've been slowly upgrading my Super Nintendo set up, in the quest to get things as clear and visually satisfying as possible.

I never set out to do this but when I started getting seriously back into my SNES a year ago, I made the jump to a basic 21" CRT and was blown away by the jump in visual and lag free play.

That soon stepped up sourcing and getting a PVM, then going full RGB, then getting a Super Famicom to get the full 60hz.

The only real way for me to go after that, was to get a later produced Super Famicom. As with most consoles, as they age they go through certain revisions, some are visual, some are internal, some are both. Most designed to save on production costs as technology develops over time.

In the Super Nintendo's instance, towards the late years, Nintendo condensed the multiple chip sets, into a single chip, referred too as the 1CHIP consoles. There were then 3 revisions to that chip 01, 02 & 03.

It turns out that these later 1CHIP consoles give a considerably sharper RGB display. Nintendo probably didn't strive for this result but was a side effect of using newer, better, chips.

Getting hold of a 1CHIP console is a bit of a lottery, there are a few clues but the only real way to know is by looking at the circuit board inside.

I was after a 02 variant of the 1CHIP as this best suited my PVM (Professional Visual Monitor) set up.

I'd gambled a few times on consoles that came up cheap and I suspected them to be a 1CHIP but alas none were, so I eventually went the more expensive route and bought one straight out.

It gives a sharper image, even to the uninformed eye but to the informed eye and knowing what to look for it's a decent jump in visual sharpness.

I understand that to most this will seem silly and a bit OTT but to someone like me, who has thoroughly enjoyed this adventure in achieving a super crisp and clear way to play my SNES games on original hardware, it's wonderful.

It's something that doesn't really come across very well in pictures and due to the way that CRT's work is almost impossible to capture. You really have to see it to believe it.

Anyway, I think I can finally relax now and get back to enjoying the games, which is what it's really all about :lol: , although having it look nice is enhances that experience !!

These are some of my actual boards.

This is a older, multi chip SNES board.

This is later 1CHIP console.
Nerds such as myself are super grateful that you shared that. These were things that I wasn't aware of, and I do find it interesting.

When it comes to preservation the emphasis tends to be on software, and emulation has been a big victory when it comes to shedding light on games that would otherwise be forgotten. The hardware side definitely needs to be maintained too, and can be a bit more expensive to do so.

Even if it is a case of lots of individuals collecting only specific things, overall it can make a difference. In an ideal world it would be more centralised and catalogued, and there would be more museums or physical archives in more locations, but until that ideal day and world comes, collect and share.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Joshihatsumitsu wrote: Nerds such as myself are super grateful that you shared that. These were things that I wasn't aware of, and I do find it interesting.

When it comes to preservation the emphasis tends to be on software, and emulation has been a big victory when it comes to shedding light on games that would otherwise be forgotten. The hardware side definitely needs to be maintained too, and can be a bit more expensive to do so.

Even if it is a case of lots of individuals collecting only specific things, overall it can make a difference. In an ideal world it would be more centralised and catalogued, and there would be more museums or physical archives in more locations, but until that ideal day and world comes, collect and share.
Cool man. I did wonder if anyone here would be interested in this sort of stuff.

My wife saw me posting the pictures of the boards and laughed at me, saying what the hell and who the hell are you showing that too :lol: .

So, that's pretty much the information I wish I knew when I started. Knowing that would have saved me quite some time and money. I watched a lot of videos and read a lot of internet to get a decent understanding of what is what. It differs per console too !!

I've got quite a few SF's and SNES' knocking around now. I'll probably shift a few of them off and just keep my good condition boxed stuff.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Stanshall wrote:One of my best mates has gone through a bit of a phase recently. He bought a SNES and we've had a number of great nights recently hammering Bomberman, SF2 and Mario Kart. I really do love the feel of the pad and it's just damn good fun. It's also prompted me to get a load of classic SNES stuff off 3DS VC. I've never played Super Metroid, or Link to the Past, for example, let alone Earthbound and Super Castlevania. I'm really really enjoying myself and it's the perfect way to fill my gaming time til the Switch arrives. (And for the seven months after I finish BotW!).
The 16-BIT era was probably my most impactful generation.

Things were dreamed about and always out of grasp due to the cost, because of this, nostalgia is DEEP for me here. I was a Sega child but got the SNES after I'd traded my Mega Drive in for one.

I see Sega and Nintendo like Meat & Fish here, one not better than the other but each bringing its own style and flavour.

The SNES pad is probably my most favourite pad of all time. I think the BEST pad is probably the Xbox 360 but my fav is the SNES.

Earthbound is good story but the others you mention have excellent gameplay. Gameplay that still holds up today. I'm currently right at the end of a Super Metroid play through and collecting my thoughts on it.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Similar at my end, in fact. We had an Amiga which I absolutely loved but still rocking the NES well into the early 90s. My best mate had a SNES, though, and we wore it out on SMK and SF2, especially. It did mean I never played the big SP games, and in fact, we never owned a SNES so I never really have.

I didn't actually play Super Mario World until about 2008 on the Wii VC when stuck in an airport hotel for two days. Astonishing game but zero nostalgia for me! SMB3 is the big one for me and my bros. We played that for several years. I started A Link Between Worlds on 3DS but heard it's so similar to Link to the Past that I decided to play that first this week, due to the Zelda sale on the eShop.

I've just got the Pegasus Boots and absolutely adore it so far. I didn't expect it to hold up at all, frankly, but it's so so Nintendo. Wonderful feel and I loved the dungeon design and that bouncy lads boss. No gimmickry, just a good challenge and so mechanically robust. I'll power through it and then get to Super Metroid.
Joshihatsumitsu

Since I've finished building my second sit-down two-player arcade cab, I have been buying up a few JAMMA PCB's. In a similar way to film, I find that there is a particular "magic" to how physical circuitry and coding can bring worlds to life.

Connecting the board to the JAMMA harness is kind of like loading a roll of film onto a projector. And after making the necessary adjustments, you switch the power on, the screen lights up, and the show begins.

Sure, it's bulky, and it takes up space, and it isn't a hobby everyone can afford to do. But then I am a librarian: if it wasn't games I'd probably be collecting something else, and justifying my obsessiveness to a different crowd!

Love my circuitry!
Suits

Post by Suits »

My wife and I are expecting our first child in 8 weeks so I've been clearing out my office for a nursery.

I have a spare CRT 600 line monitor that is free to anyone that will use it. It'll be great for anything really, it just needs either a S-Video cable or single BNC connector for your console and you're away.

I've tested it and it works fine, I have PVM 20M4E monitor, I don't really need two, so it's free to anyone on C&R that thinks they'll use it.

I live in Chelmsford, Essex so feel free to message me if anyone has any interest. If not, I'll stick it on eBay.

Cheers :) .

Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Maaan... I wish we lived closer to one another! :D
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I would like it but I don't have the space currently for the setup at the moment, sadly!
Thanks for offering this to the community though, very cool.