Retro gaming

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Flabyo

Re: Retro gaming

Post by Flabyo »

Carmen San Diego has definitely lowered her sights since the megadrive days. Stealing a drum kit? When she once stole the Eiffel Tower?
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

I too wonder what the "secret" of the stolen drums are... and I agree: as someone who has been a drummer in a band, stealing a drum kit is not overly ambitious, though it would take time, and make an awful lot of noise.

Ooooo... maybe that's what the "secret" is!
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Suits wrote: December 9th, 2018, 3:54 pm
ratsoalbion wrote: December 9th, 2018, 3:26 pm Wow, that is a wince-inducing pile of games right there!
😆
I know, demoralising isn’t it :lol: .

Occasionally I go back and forth with whether or not to continue (collecting the whole set) but I’m so far in now with most of the big dogs found and ordered, I can just periodically pick up the strays as they present themselves.

That’s what I tell myself anyway.

But really, deep down.... I love them all massively and take great pride sometimes just standing back and looking at them. Daft but I suppose the the very values of watching the numbers go up and 100%’ing things, that keeps it feeling rewarding.

Now let me get back to Mary-Kate.....
:lol:

SEGA Soccer Slam is alright, though. Always considered snagging a copy.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Michiel K wrote: December 10th, 2018, 11:54 am SEGA Soccer Slam is alright, though. Always considered snagging a copy.
Currently six hours into Carmen Sandiego aren’t I :lol: .
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Wasn't sure if this was the right place to bring it up, so, sorry if it isn't!

My wife got me a SNES Mini for Christmas! I'm pretty excited, but I was also surprised by how many of those games I haven't played/finished in my time. I loved my SNES as a kid, and played the heck out the games I owned, but I only ever borrowed Mario World 2 or Super Mario RPG. Castlevania IV, Earthbound, Punch Out and both Kirby games will be all new to me!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

duskvstweak wrote: December 28th, 2018, 6:01 pm My wife got me a SNES Mini for Christmas!
Congrats, buddy! :P

More to stream then, surely?
Suits

Post by Suits »

duskvstweak wrote: December 28th, 2018, 6:01 pmI loved my SNES as a kid, and played the heck out the games I owned, but I only ever borrowed Mario World 2 or Super Mario RPG. Castlevania IV, Earthbound, Punch Out and both Kirby games will be all new to me!
See, as time passes and we see other companies faux pas with this sort fo thing, we will further become to appreciate the package that Nintendo put together here, not only in great form, but solid emulation and big, big games that were on that system.

A really simple, really cheap, and legal - way to play some of the greatest SNES games.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

I will say Donkey Kong Country 2 and Dr. Mario would have made it absolutely perfect for me, but yeah, just a great package.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

You can add all the ‘missing’ games very easily.
Craig

Post by Craig »

I think putting together a list of 20 SNES games that would please everyone is a bit of an impossible task as each person is always going to at least a game or two that doesn’t make it on. But they made a really solid list there and, like Leon said, it’s apparently very easy to pop those missing games on.
Suits

Post by Suits »

I wonder if anyone made copies of all those ROM’s before the websites were shut down....
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

You can still get them easy enough.
Suits

Post by Suits »

I generally don't like doing to many of these posts as I don't want it to be a 'Pick-Up' thread or anything but I see no harm in doing it once in a while as a potential discussion point etc...

So as usual I've been picking up bits and bobs over the last few months, mainly things I want to play again that I've either not played since I was young, or games that I had as a young Suits and want to pick up again and put into my collection.

These are a selection of the games I've collected over the past few months.

First up, I picked up some Mega Drive carts, damn fine looking MD carts. Splaterhouse 2 I remember fondly from being Video shop rental that turned out to be a bit of a dog to play but looked mesmerising. Zombies is a great looking game and is often one of those used to show off really vivid RGB displays on PVM's etc....

Both complete in box.

Then we have another Mega Drive cart and a Master System one.

Ghouls N Ghosts. I have to admit, this is primarily off the back of the CandR 345, with Leon, Karl, Michiel and especially Ben ! I've played quiet a bit of it and do very much enjoy it, although I don't have the energy and drive to push on past level three, its great to finally own it and have it to hand whenever I want it.

I've been really enjoying my time with my Master System recently, I've been playing few things on there off an don but not settled on anything to really spend a lot of time with and think about further.. I have some ideas but nothing serious yet. With that in mind, I picked up a CIB Wonder Boy in Monster Land. I've not played this yet and I'm a big fan of Wonder Boy so I'm really looking forward to getting into this.

I had Dawn of Sorrow from way back, when we were going to Germany for a Nurburgring trip and took a DSi and this game to pass the time - I very much enjoyed it but managed to loose it, so I was certainly on my list to pick up again. While I was tracking this beauty down the opportunity arose to pick up Portrait of Ruin also, which I've never played.

I'm nearly at the point in Dawn of Sorrow where I must have lost the DSi, about 10 hours in like it feels, I'm enjoying it.

These carts are going up in price, no where near Order of Ecclesia prices, but up none the less, so I picked it up when I had the chance. PoR also in great condition.

Next onto a few DMG GameBoy carts - sick.

I've been picking these up as frequently and often as I can, just because they are usually very cheap and if you buy them in bulk can offer some wicked finds. I also love the wide variety of games and styles you get the GB games.

Sadly, these are all just cart only, I have the plastic cases, but no IB.

These are the pick of the most recent bunch which I picked up yesterday in fact, Darkwing Duck I've not played, Shadow Warriors - which is Ninja Gaiden Shadow looks cool and I've not played that yet either.

Castlevania Adventure is a rad game from my childhood that I want to get into properly now that I'm older and Spiderman is one of the first games I ever got bought for me from my Grandmother, I could never get past the second level and is a special game to me personally. So I'm well pleased to have that back again - just need a box now......

Now we have a few GBA games.

I've been into these of late also, we all know the GBA was a rad Super Nintendo in your pocket but I never really got into mine first time around. I picked one up one launch day but was totally disillusioned with naff screen in the first model and sort of never gave it a second chance or was even aware that the later version had a backlit screen.

Because of this, my time with it is limited !!

Metroid Fusion I finished on Boxing Day I think and very much enjoyed it. I borrowed it from a mate in work and set out to get my own copy once I got into it. The bloke in work, (who has no idea what it is) was happy to let me keep the cart I borrowed from him with my save on it and give him the one from the boxed version I picked up. Happy Days.

Mario Advance 4 was a chance pick up that was part of another bundle I picked up, but is a nice copy and is good to have on hand again - you never know when you need some 16BIT handheld Mario 3 !!

I also picked up a Super Mario Advance - now this is box only, as I have the cart (my original launch cart that I bought with my GBA in 2001) and a box only came up so I grabbed that.

I also, picked up a very, VERY nice, Donkey Kong 2 Game and Watch.

This is my first G&W, as I always said that if I ever start picking these up, I'll only get nice versions. This came up, believe it or not in a CEX, for a very fair price. I asked to have a look as often these are missing EVERYTHING - but this had more and was in a better condition than what I would have accepted as worth it. Very happy with this.

This comes with the inlays, booklet, intact foam, battery cover and even the stickers to secure the battery clip in place.

This was made before I was born (1983) and is very nice to have in my collection. Sadly, I don't have the batteries needed to play it but I'm going to get some and play this bad boy !!!

Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

That ONE black Switch box is irrationally irritating me. You got this house fly in a crimson tide... Ugh. at least Deus Ex on WiiU had a matching teal logo.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Everytime i see Suits' collection i

A) get jealous
B) wonder how much money is left in his scrooge mcduck silo!
Craig

Post by Craig »

Oof! That’s a nice Game and Watch! If you’re after any in particular just let me know the details. There’s a place with a lot of them nearby though maybe a bit of a dangerous rabbit hole to go down!
Suits

Post by Suits »

Craig wrote: January 15th, 2019, 7:38 am Oof! That’s a nice Game and Watch! If you’re after any in particular just let me know the details. There’s a place with a lot of them nearby though maybe a bit of a dangerous rabbit hole to go down!
Ha, cheers man, although like you say it’s a deep, long old hole.

I’m going to actively hold back on collection the G&W’s for now and just make the decision as and when the opportunity presents itself.

Cheers, though dude 😎.
dezm0nd wrote: January 15th, 2019, 6:50 am Everytime i see Suits' collection i wonder how much money is left in his scrooge mcduck silo!
Them silo’s are kept at a steady paddelling depth.

Seriously though, I have a routine that tracks how much I spend, so that it doesn’t get out of hand - as it easily can.

I have an amount I set aside each month for games. New and old. I also do an awful lot of private buying/selling/trading.

This month, I’ve already bought a few bundles, stripped what I need out of it and sell on the spares. Spares this month that have been sold are a Mega Drive & Mega CD 2, Master System 2, SNES, boxed GameCube and GBA-SP.

As well as various games.

If anyone wants a Dreamcast - hit me up.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Suits' photo posts are my favourite thing about this thread. Never fail to deliver the joy.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Craig wrote: January 15th, 2019, 7:38 am Oof! That’s a nice Game and Watch! If you’re after any in particular just let me know the details. There’s a place with a lot of them nearby though maybe a bit of a dangerous rabbit hole to go down!
Ooh... I want Balloon Fight as I had that as a bairn and somehow don't have it anymore. Major nostalgia for that. Just the normal one, not the weird "Crystal" one that's all expensive, I'd bet it's still pretty pricey though.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

dezm0nd wrote: January 15th, 2019, 6:50 am Everytime i see Suits' collection i

A) get jealous
B) wonder how much money is left in his scrooge mcduck silo!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

This!