Retro gaming

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Flabyo

Re: Retro gaming

Post by Flabyo »

My only bargain of that type was finding the PSX version of Symphony of the Night, complete with soundtrack cd and mini art book, in the second hand bin of a local GameStation for £17.

(This was in the days when 2d playstation stuff didn’t sell. Weird to recall there was a time when people wouldn’t buy 2d games cause they ‘looked old’)

As for 1998, throw in Parasite Eve and Metal Gear Solid (well, if you were in the US anyway).

Coincidentally, 98 was when I first started working as a games coder for actual money in a real company.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Flabyo wrote: March 12th, 2018, 3:37 pmCoincidentally, 98 was when I first started working as a games coder for actual money in a real company.
That's cool! Big year then!

My biggest bargain find was probably Burning Rangers on the Saturn. I bought it new for full price at release, but sold it on at some point for not much. Found it again years later in a Gamestation for around £25 and it goes for around £100 now.

Nothing will top that Leon/Panzer Dragoon Saga deal though - a tenner for a game that now goes for £250 - £350 today. I wonder how much he flogged it for...
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

It was 'only' £90 or something, back in about 2000 I guess.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Lovely to read all this.

I think I spilled the beans on my best bargains by far on here before. Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance and Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, both a 100% free, for reviewing purposes. I'll never be blase about that, because I love both of those games to death and are ever appreciative of my luck in this. As far as I'm concerned, they ended up in the right hands. ;)

I also got Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes for a tenner in the Gamecube's sunset period. That ended up becoming worth more as well.

Quite predictably, 'Saga' is the only game missing from my collection of Panzer Dragoon games (barring the Game Gear thingie), and unless it gets a modern re-release it will probably be outside of my grasp forever. :(

Got a neat bundled NTSC-J package of the original and Zwei that isn't very common, though. I'll post up a pic later.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

I think I've rarely retrospectively picked up an older game for a great bargain.

It tends to be more that I never got rid of my games growing up, and that, just because of how trends moved, it turned out to be a good decision.

I only tend to accidentally succeed in life!
Sinclair Gregstrum

Michiel K wrote: March 12th, 2018, 9:07 pmGot a neat bundled NTSC-J package of the original and Zwei that isn't very common, though. I'll post up a pic later.
Ah I really want that one! It is pretty darn rare and worth a bit! If you do get chance to post some pics I would happily gawk at them :D

Along with my PAL Saga I’ve got PAL versions of both the earlier games, plus an NTSC-J copy of the first game (love the box art of this one). Also kept hold my day one Orta Xbox copy (fingers firmly crossed for backwards compatibility on Xbox One!) and in the process of getting an NTSC-J copy of Zwei as well.

Only thing I’ve not got is the Game Gear one, even though I do own a Game Gear! Have watched quite a bit of footage and apparently it really isn’t anything worth playing and looks incredibly basic even by GG standards. The completionist collector in me wants it anyway of course :roll:
Suits

Post by Suits »

A collector that I follow on Twitter wrote about his copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga and a fateful encounter with a ball, bike and fence - that ended poorly.

Funny little story.

http://www.gametripper.co.uk/games/satu ... goon-saga/

I've picked up/still have a few games that are now triple figures in estimated value, although nothing close to the mark up that PDS now commands. They'll all worth more sentimentally to me anyway, without doubt.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Sinclair Gregstrum wrote: March 13th, 2018, 6:58 am
Ah I really want that one! It is pretty darn rare and worth a bit! If you do get chance to post some pics I would happily gawk at them :D

Along with my PAL Saga I’ve got PAL versions of both the earlier games, plus an NTSC-J copy of the first game (love the box art of this one). Also kept hold my day one Orta Xbox copy (fingers firmly crossed for backwards compatibility on Xbox One!) and in the process of getting an NTSC-J copy of Zwei as well.

Only thing I’ve not got is the Game Gear one, even though I do own a Game Gear! Have watched quite a bit of footage and apparently it really isn’t anything worth playing and looks incredibly basic even by GG standards. The completionist collector in me wants it anyway of course :roll:
I tend to only collect games I want to play, yeah, so I could happily live my life without the Game Gear Panzer Dragoon.

Yeah, I love that Moebius artwork on the NTSC-J version of the original Panzer Dragoon. Makes a ton of sense they were inspired by his previous work for the design of the game's universe.

And on that note...

Sinclair Gregstrum

Michiel K wrote: March 13th, 2018, 3:39 pm I tend to only collect games I want to play, yeah, so I could happily live my life without the Game Gear Panzer Dragoon.
It's also about £200 boxed - came out in Japan only in '96, so a seriously late, niche Game Gear title! Not even close to being worth that kind of cash by all accounts!

That double pack PD 1&2 does look lovely - thanks for posting the pics! If you ever feel like letting it go you know who to call ;)

Seriously though, call me! :lol:

I think I'm going to play through all three Saturn games again this year in order. It's been too long since my last playthroughs, and I've never actually been through my NTSC-J PD1 copy so need to experience that 60hz goodness!
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Sinclair Gregstrum wrote: March 14th, 2018, 10:48 am
That double pack PD 1&2 does look lovely - thanks for posting the pics! If you ever feel like letting it go you know who to call ;)

Seriously though, call me! :lol:
Haha, I'm willing to trade it for a copy of Saga! I'll just hunt me down some separate copies instead! :P
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Yesterday was the first of the bi-yearly retro game convention trips I allow myself. Went with a crew of usual suspects (friends) and my little guy (son), and this is what I came back with, all for very modest prices.

* Note: I'm not an in-box collector per say (though having games complete is a nice bonus), so I'm happy enough with just carts, as I collect mainly to play.

Been meaning to buy these two Sunsoft NES games for the longest, but I figured they wouldn't go anywhere. But the last two trips I didn't see Batman anywhere anymore, so I had to scoop it up. Fester's Quest is a fave from my youth and not nearly the turd that many make it out to be.

Both SMS Sonic 2 and Super Fantasy Zone for Mega Drive on the cheap. Very happy with that.

Two top N64 racers, finally in my possession.

This was the real find of this trip for me, the legendary Dynamite Deka 2 a.k.a. Dynamite Cop! (exclamation mark included). Last time around I got the first game for Saturn, so that worked out pretty well. Can't wait to slap dodgy pirates with fish and punch octopuses on a cruise ship, with a friend.

I'm one of those Burnout 1 (and mostly) 2 fans, so I got this really well crafted silly bumper car simulator mostly for my son, who absolutely loves it.

Finally 'bought back' a game I regrettably sold off, this time in the Player's Choice version, before the Melee tourney scene will have bought up every remaining copy. I resolutely deleted my old save with hundreds of hours of stats and character / stage / trophy unlocks, so I guess I have my work cut out for me. Once again, my son was very happy about this one.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Nice haul!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Great shopping spree, mate!
Suits

Post by Suits »

Nice, good little bag of goodies there.

Festers Quest, is wicked, I love the artwork on those games, which has led me to collecting the old Simpsons games myself, going back to those games is great, Escape from Camp Deadly and Krusty’s Super Fun house now make so much more sense now that I’ve gone back to them with a more aged head.

I never personally got on with Sonic 2 on the Master System, I remember renting it at the time and foolishly was expecting a Mega Drive esc, experience and was dramatically let down by it, the glider and the minecart level just being way too hard for me at the time. I’d love to have another go at, nowadays, to which I will certainly as a lot of people are now holding the 8-Bit Sonic games in high regard.

Good grab on the SMB game, the non-Players Choice version is now going for upwards of £30 over here and will probably only go up from there, shame about the loss of save data though.

Great little collection of bits there dude, LOVE IT.

I generally go out at least once a month and do the rounds regards charity shops and the what have you’s, not too much luck anymore I’m afraid, it’s quiet in vogue in the UK and stuff either gets snapped up real quick or stuff is way overpriced – it’s still fun though. Carboot season is upon us too now, which began this weekend actually. I'd post more of my finds but I wasn't sure if this was really the place for it - or if people wee interested.

My next gaming convention/event is coming up in the next few weeks, the 15th April to be exact at the London Gaming Market and I’ll certainly be there, with an eye for a few select items.

My last haul is below, a few bits that I’ve had eye on for a while, mainly curios that I’ve wanted to have a poke around with, one to leave in the Super NT in the front room, one nostalgia item that I’ve upgraded to a better version and a couple of books.

Also, my never-ending GameCube quest, which started out as a system that I wanted to spend a bit more time with and pick up the many gems it has, to which has now spiralled into going for a complete PAL collection. Of which I’m about 75% through and taking my time with, as half the fun is in the chase at the moment.

What you can’t see in the picture there, (which was quickly snapped to show my mate), is that I have Teddy Boy on the Master System under there and the Goldeye version, is the Limited Edition, with the gold Wii Pro Controller.

I always clean my carts too, which is great fun and stops any gunk being spread around my 1CHIP Super Famicom and my Super NT

This was a gift from my mate that runs the Retro Game shop in Leigh-on-Sea, he often gives me bits and bobs that he comes across, this pad is unfortunately not working but was given to me to give to my boy to chew and play with.

Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Thanks guys!

Suits, I used to own a NES MAX controller as well, next to an NES Advantage (which is the controller Fester's Quest was more or less made for, really). Oh all the things I've lost along the way... On the plus side, the breadth of my game collection is now more impressive than ever, when I take a step back and look at the whole thing.

Good hunting on April the 15th! Any particular items you're looking out for?
Suits

Post by Suits »

Well, I never actually had a NES as a child, I had a Master System so I certainly never had a NES MAX. I took it apart to see how it works, as it’s an interesting thing.

What’s your most prized item you’ve let go then ??

It’s amazing how collections grow over time.

I started out by picking up childhood titles mainly just to re-live the boxes and artwork, then as time passed I retrospectively picked up the consoles again. At that point, I started picking up games that I missed and really wanted to play.

Then I started to try to complete sets, then, games I saw and didn’t have :lol: .

Before you know it, you have a lot of games on your hands. I take a great deal of satisfaction, cleaning, looking at, handling and playing my games.

Well, LGM has some great import stuff, some of the Japanese GameBoy stuff is incredible, as is some of the first party N64 stuff, those boxes and artwork are delicious. So I’ll see what tickles my fancy on that front and get what I like. More targeted, tricky stuff to track down items are a complete Chibi Robo a Memory card complete Animal Crossing and Killer 7, all on the GameCube – none of which I’ve actually played, so these are at the top of list.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I had to sell my whole megadrive and mega cd collection when I went to university in order to be able to eat. Which sucked.

What are you after still on PAL GameCube Suits? I may have some of them and it’s not a machine I have much of a fondness for so would be happy to part with them.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Flabyo wrote: March 26th, 2018, 2:59 pm What are you after still on PAL GameCube Suits? I may have some of them and it’s not a machine I have much of a fondness for so would be happy to part with them.
Quite a few man, over 100 anyway.

It might be easier if you let me know what you have and we’ll go from there.

I’d be happy to pay you fairly for them, as bits are getting harder to come across now, so you’d be doing me a big favour :) .
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

I know this is considered sacrilege, but this episode of Retronauts covering Fester's Quest is... interesting!
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Suits wrote: March 26th, 2018, 2:43 pm
What’s your most prized item you’ve let go then ??
Quick thing I can think of is Castlevania games. Anything branded with Castlevania just goes for stoopid money these days, even games that were very common. Ah well, Virtual Console and PSN downloads it is, then.

Joshi, thanks for the link. I just learned today that some of NTSC's Fester's Quest issues, such as shots being blocked by walls, were ironed out in the PAL version, fancy that! Partly explains why I didn't have much of a problem with the game's difficulty, back then. Also, I played it with the NES Advantage's turbo dials all the way up, which helped greatly.