Overwatch

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
skidoosh

Re: Overwatch

Post by skidoosh »

Thanks for doing the research on that. I've not been a Blizzard gamer since Warcraft 3 so I was a bit lost as to where to start looking!
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Just found this video series that Gamespot did on Overwatch`s development and it`s a really interesting it goes from the failure of Titan to what FPS inspired the team and to the design of Overwatch,it`s really cool and some of the best stuff I`ve seen outta Gamespot in a while:
skidoosh

Post by skidoosh »

Put some more hours in today. The more I play the more I come to the conclusion that there's nothing wrong with the matchmaking. Just the people I'm matched with.

A few matches back I landed on a team with two Widowmakers and a Hanzo. Three snipers, all of them rubbish. I had to switch to a Widowmaker at one point to deal with the two Bastions and a Torbjörn and then switch to a Solder so we had the damage output an hp to push. Didn't happen.

In fact, I'm going to go one step further even. The problem isn't the other players. It's me. I've not been this into a small team based shooter since TF2. So I've taken loads of time working out the meta and other cool things like when I discovered you can pull Junkrats or D.vas ultimate towards yourself or into the pit in Ilios sacrificing yourself for the rest of the team to stay up. And they, just haven't yet. They just want to be the cool sniper or ninja and more power to em.

Game of the year for me so far! Hope your all enjoying it as much as me!
AndrewBrown

Post by AndrewBrown »

I've been saying for days the game will improve massively when those people get bored and go away.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

58 games played, about 3 bad ones in total (1 beyond words bad). Cannot complain one iota here.

In comparison I had 5 games on titanfall today, 1 bad. Not a bad hit rate for either.
skidoosh

Post by skidoosh »

To be honest, I'm hoping they get into it and start learning and thinking about the team dynamic and composition. I can see so much love and effort has gone into this and I mean CDPR levels so I'm hoping it has a high retention. I'm willing to ride it out and have to sent the odd "[Team]: Hate to ask, but do we really need three snipers?" to some nubes who want the shiny.

With a bit of luck ranked will be division based so the nubes will be able to find their feet in the lower divisions and quick play rather that being obliterated all the time and ditch it.
AndrewBrown

Post by AndrewBrown »

I have an extremely low tolerance for other people's BS.

Which, come to think of it, is probably why online-focused games have an extremely short shelf life for me.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Came across a team that decided to play as 6 Torbjorns against us.

I went Reinhardt. We won. Easily.

Was actually kinda hilarious.
skidoosh

Post by skidoosh »

Yeah. Had some clowns all go Bastion. Went Reaper and teleported behind them. Blazed the all before they knew what was going on.
MagicianArcana

Post by MagicianArcana »

This game is all a played during my three day weekend. Some friends and I played as a group of six and we've gotten pretty good as a team. I thought we were gonna be dominated by others teams of six that play the game more than we do, but I feel we're a well coordinated team. I think we're gonna give ranked matches a try when they become available.

So I actually haven't had to play with random people too much as of late :/ But the few times I have, I've noticed people don't like to play support very often lol so I end up playing as Lucio if I queue solo.

I think I've gotten pretty good as McCree, Soldier 76, and D.va. And in some matches I think I'm pretty good as Junkrat when defending. I like utilizing his traps.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

I now have a main character I like to play as for each class.

Offence: Soldier 76

Defence: Hanzo

Tank: D.Va

Support: Lucio

I'm pretty good with all of the defence characters too, but having at least one character from each class I can play comfortably has been really useful.
macstat

Post by macstat »

I mostly play Winston, i enjoy his mobility, high HP pool and the fact that i dont need to aim ;) When i have to choose something else my pick is usually defense (junkrat is my favorite) or support (Mercy or Lucio). So far i had least luck with offensive characters so i usually avoid picking them :P. Fortunately usually people pick them so i dont have to;)
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I do think at having Tracer be the main marketing character makes people pick her and then be put off the offence characters. Tracer is damn hard to use well, most of the offence characters have quite quirky playstyles and hers is the most quirky. Saying that, soldier 76 is basically 'doom guy' so he's pretty simple to use.

Genji is ridiculously complex (I'm utterly hopeless with him so far), McCree requires good precision (and seems quite weak, he's probably closest to playing a call of duty character apart from Widowmaker). Reaper is good, but his lack of range means you need to get the hang of using his abilities to flank or you'll just get picked off.

I'm starting to get a handle on using Zarya now, shes more a hybrid tank/support than outright tank and you have to adjust for that. She can't soak anywhere near the amount of damage that road hog or DVa can.

In terms of sniper I'm finding Hanzo to be much easier to do well with than widowmaker, but I've always been poor with scoped weapons, Hanzo being able to hold before release just suits me better.
skidoosh

Post by skidoosh »

I'm going through them all at the min. Just had a few matches with Roadhog and Junkrat. Got play of the game with Junkrak with a cracker on the kings road from one of the windows above point a. Managed to use shadowplay to record the replay. Whats good for trimming video clips these days?
skidoosh

Post by skidoosh »

I hope they add the export soon!

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I'm surprised that the XBO version doesn't have it automated, its trivial to add code to auto-start and stop the DVR feature (play Sunset Overdrive for example, that records and stores automatically almost everything cool that happens in the game...)
skidoosh

Post by skidoosh »

What I suspect is that they ran out of time trying to get a cross platform context dump woking. As far as I can tell it's just replaying the data stored at the end of the match in engine rather than a recording. It's ok on PS4/XBO but on the PC I've got to shadow play -> pen drive -> macbook -> imovie -> edit -> upload :(
skidoosh

Post by skidoosh »

Suckers didn't see this coming ;)

Beck

Post by Beck »

I really enjoy this game, perhaps it's l the best competitive shooter I've played. When it clicks it's amazing and there is so much diversity to the game. I really like that it tries to make the game about team play rather than who has the highest stats.

At the moment I am drawn to agent 76 for his ability to sit back and do loads of damage. Lucio is also quite fun to play although I've not played him much so I've a bit to learn

I am finding over watch like world of Warcraft in the sense the pvp is brilliant, especially if you get a team of people who work together it's amazing. Playing with randoms seems to be horrible though as most seem to pick damage characters regardless of the team setup. I've played the majority of tonight and lost 80% of the games. Mainly because my team mates are either all dps or sniper and more interested in the kills than the objective. The team balancing seems off as well.

It hasn't put me off he game but after playing with some of you guys I don't think I can be bothered with the frustration of trying the games with randoms.
MAp

Post by MAp »

Oh I'm loving this game :) It's getting into my head to the point where I'm watching videos on maps and characters. I don't ever think I'll be great at it on a mechanical level but a shooter where I can win little wars by making better large scale decisions rather than twitch reaction is ticking many of my boxes.
If I had to pick a favourite character it would probably be Zarya as she can flip between roles with high damage and support, also her two types of attack make her effective from a few ranges.

I wonder if there was a more overt ways of passing tips and tricks to the player in-game, as like people say the frequency of Reaper, Genji, Widowmaker and McRee selection is still a little too high...hopefully those people will slowly realise why they lose so often.