All things Metroid

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Joshihatsumitsu

Re: All things Metroid

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

I managed to pick up a GBA copy of Zero Mission for ¥3800 here in Kokura.

There is a building near my hotel called Aruaru City, and it is 4 levels of anime, manga, gaming, figerines, cosplay... anything otaku, it'll be there. Dangerous place for ones wallet.

Plus the Manga Museum is located on the sixth floor, something I discovered way too late (about half hour before closing), so ifs it's up your alley, you now know where to find it!
Craig

Post by Craig »

Joshihatsumitsu wrote: August 28th, 2017, 11:18 pm I managed to pick up a GBA copy of Zero Mission for ¥3800 here in Kokura.

There is a building near my hotel called Aruaru City, and it is 4 levels of anime, manga, gaming, figerines, cosplay... anything otaku, it'll be there. Dangerous place for ones wallet.

Plus the Manga Museum is located on the sixth floor, something I discovered way too late (about half hour before closing), so ifs it's up your alley, you now know where to find it!
Oh hey, you're in my neck of the woods!

The store just opposite Mandarake is new but it's awesome. If you're heading to Hakata in the next few days let me know and I can show you where the game shops are here. If you're still in Kokura, there's a half decent Book Off about 10 minutes walk from the station.
Joshihatsumitsu

Craig wrote: August 28th, 2017, 11:39 pm
Joshihatsumitsu wrote: August 28th, 2017, 11:18 pm I managed to pick up a GBA copy of Zero Mission for ¥3800 here in Kokura.

Oh hey, you're in my neck of the woods!

The store just opposite Mandarake is new but it's awesome. If you're heading to Hakata in the next few days let me know and I can show you where the game shops are here. If you're still in Kokura, there's a half decent Book Off about 10 minutes walk from the station.
Next stop is Kobe (today), then Tokyo, then back home to Sydney by Friday morning... time is ticking down in this trip. :cry:

But I did stop in Hakata for two nights on the way south... really great city.

There just isn't enough time or money to fully explore Japan... oh well, future holidays!
Suits

Post by Suits »

So my 3DS has currently run out of battery and is charging so I'll take this time off to say - Metroid 2 is good so far :lol: .

I've been looking forward to it and so far it's yet to disappoint. It has a cool little intro sequence that brings you up to speed, which I can't remember being in the original (although it's been a long time, certainly not done like this anyway).

The controls are tight and feel good. The shooting seems to carry the feel of Prime more that Super Metroid to me, it gives that feedback that makes you just want to see how fast you can make Samus shoot her bolster :lol: .

However, the biggest stand out so far for me is the visuals and sound.

The 3D is fantastic on this (I'm using a N3DS, with the improved 3D stability sensor), right up there with Kirby:Robotron and Zelda:LbW. The new backgrounds tell a story in them-self I feel, with little clues and settings that really makes SR388 come to life.

Maybe because I played through Super Metroid earlier in the year but I've gone straight into this with what feels like an over confidant familiarity, which feels satisfying progressing through the game and hunting the Metroids down.

I grabbed the Legacy Edition of the game, which was £60 but for me, its worth every penny. It has lots of little trinkets and bobs that make a fan of the series very happy.

The art book is cool, one side is the artwork from the original 1992 game, then you flip it over and it has the artwork from the 2017 remake, very good. Pretty classy.

It also come with a download code for the original GameBoy version of the game, which if anyone really wants, I don't mind giving out - if they're going to play it :) .

Finally the squishy Metroid amiibo is cool, probably one of, if not the best amiibo I think.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

How I wish I was as enthusiastic as you, Suits.

Like you, I had been looking forward to this ever since its announcement and even pre-ordered the Legacy Edition without hesitation. There is a lot to like: Samus's design is back to its glorious bulky self, the controls are smooth and responsive, the animations are fluid and very nice to look at, the menus and overall UI are great, and the trademark sense of dread and isolation of the franchise is finally back, thanks to Samus being on her own this time around. (Noone likes you, Galactic Federation, just go away.) Last but not least, the sound design / mixing is quite possibly the best in the series. Seriously, this game is an audio delight with a proper pair of headphones, try it out if you haven't already!

The bonus goodies of the LE are also really nice, with the exception of the keyring being made of cheap plastic instead of metal like I was expecting.

However, I do have two main issues with the game.

The first is that there seem to be way too many accessibility concessions at first glance. The most obvious one is the new melee counter move. Flashy and satisfying at first, but it pretty much renders positioning and aiming obsolete. The majority of the basic enemies can be quickly and safely dispatched by countering within the very generous time window and spamming the attack button afterwards, thanks to the following auto-aiming (!). The energy and ammo drops just home in on you automatically after spawning. The checkpoint system is fairly redundant given the number of traditional save points. Turbo bombing hardly requires any sense of timing this time around, due to the seemingly limitless amount of bombs at your disposal. But the worst offender is the way this game handles item locations and other secrets. What used to be a reward for careful exploration and a keen sense of observation is now relegated to a simple button prompt using easily attainable resources. I have no idea who thought this was a good idea or why, but it's borderline insulting.

In short, the game almost plays itself at times, and it rubs me the wrong way. I understand that Nintendo may have been wary of introducing a new generation of players to the franchise by throwing them in at the deep end. I just feel like they went too far in the other direction and lost some of what made the previous games such gripping and rewarding experiences.

The second is more of a general trend within the industry, but I feel like this game is a particularly noticeable example of it. It has to do with the notion that polygonal 3D is inherently superior to pixel-based 2D and that any game that can achieve the former should relinquish the latter, a notion I completely disagree with.

If I may illustrate my point by way of the first two spoiler-free water-themed screenshots I found:

Samus Returns

Fusion

The first one obviously has a more convincing sense of depth to offer. With that being said, and maybe it's just me being a weirdo, but the second one is more crisp, more readable, has a more distinct art style, and manages to convey more information with less data.

(If you think I'm being unfair with my choice of screenshots, feel free to provide your own! I would love to see them or hear what you have to say on that topic.)

The way I see it, low-polygonal graphics are simply nowhere near as nice to look at than high-end 2D art. That's why so many early 3D console games like MGS or Silent Hill have "aged" so poorly (visually speaking) when compared to 2D games from the same period like Chrono Trigger or SotN. And I really don't understand why so many handheld series feel the need to switch to polygonal 3D when they simply don't have either the resources or the horsepower to make it look better than what they could achieve if they just stuck to 2D. The DS and 3DS libraries are full of examples of this. Golden Sun Dark Dawn looks significantly worse than its GBA predecessors. The 3DS Fire Emblem combat animations are trite and boring when compared to the flashy sprite work of the older titles. And let's not even compare Mirror of Fate with the GBA or DS Castlevanias. In fact, I would go so far as to say that the only handheld series which has managed this jump from 2D to 3D more or less gracefully is Ace Attorney, and it probably has something to do with the fact that the developers only had to deal with designing and animating character models instead of entire levels.

Another thing worth pointing out is that the differences between 3D and 2D are not just limited to aesthetics, either. A full-fledged 3D game will often require more complex control options that contemporary handhelds like the 3DS are simply not (or only partially) able to accommodate with the level of fidelity and ergonomic quality of a proper controller.

We're quickly approaching a future in which only low-budget indie games, Rayman, and a handful of niche japanese fighting games are willingly opting for sprite-based 2D aesthetics and mechanical systems. Handheld consoles would be an obvious and cozy home for these, but it seems like modern developers are too busy emulating the big-budget AAA scene and being ashamed of the perceived limitations of their platform to take notice of the advantages it provides. Not every game needs to be a polygonal 3D-based action game with cutscenes, voice acting and a 360 degrees controllable camera.

In short, people are now buying dumbed down versions of console games for their handhelds (like RE: Revelations), or straight up console ports (like MGS: Snake Eater 3D) that are so obsessed with offering the "true console experience" without any regard to potential casualties that they somehow failed to notice that A) their frame rate is constantly on life support, and B) the goddamned hardware does not even have enough buttons to play the game properly. Only to then go and play Shovel Knight on their giant TV.

IN WHAT WORLD DOES ANY OF THIS MAKE SENSE?!

And yet, the solution to all this is quite simple. Just go back to the design philosophy from 15 years ago, when handheld games were being developed with the strengths and weaknesses of their platform in mind. I'd like to think they have withstood the test of time better than the current ones will. Then again, I'm not a developer or any kind of industry professional, so maybe there are some perfectly valid reasons for all this. It just doesn't seem right to me.

TL;DR: Handheld platforms are not low-rent home consoles, and I'd like to see more handheld games being developed with their own attributes in mind, be they positive or negative. The current identity crisis plaguing the handheld landscape is a clear regressive step in regard to the artistic diversity of the medium, in my opinion.
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

I haven't jumped into this game yet but I totally agree with your points about handheld devices. They are machines with their own foibles and charms, strengths and weaknesses, and they work best when a developer makes a piece of art that would only be possible on that platform. I've found the marketing stills and trailers of Samus Returns off-putting for similar reasons.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

To clarify, I still think Samus Returns is a good game which is certainly worth playing and could definitely use all the sales it could get, if only to send Nintendo the right message about the future of the series.

It's just that there has been this dubious trend over the course of the last decade of handheld games trying more and more to emulate console games with questionable results. Since I consider it to be a step backwards in many regards, I find it very frustrating to witness (especially since I hardly ever see it mentioned anywhere else), so I took the opportunity to vent a little.

A lot of my criticisms towards this game mirror those I have towards FE: Awakening, now that I think about it. Watch it smash all sales records and become the face of the franchise for the next decade while I just yell at clouds about the good ol' days like a grumpy old curmudgeon, then! :P

To elaborate even further, the last time Nintendo developed both handheld and console titles for the core Metroid series in parallel, we got the Prime games on one hand and Fusion / ZM on the other, both with their own distinct styles and making the best out of their respective design philosophies. Skip forward a few years, and the next handheld title (Hunters) ditched the 2D formula in order to emulate the Prime games, ended up being a clunky and watered down version of the latter, and is now mostly dismissed or even outright forgotten as a result. And now, in 2017, the classic 2D Metroid style itch needs to be scratched by random indies every few months because even Nintendo can't be bothered anymore. See the issue here?
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I'm quite enjoying the visual style for Samus Returns, it reminds me of Prime (along with the sounds, too!) but I do get what you're saying. I think realistically it's down to the team who's making it. If it was a VanillaWare developed Metroid title, you'd probably guarantee 2D art. Here it was Mercury Steam for the most part and they have just come off making a similar looking Castlevania title so it stands to reason that this was going to be its sister.

I'm not sure we'll ever see a 2D art based Metroid game again but at this stage i'm just clinging onto the fact that this is a solid title in a series we'd not seen for years. Federation Force was a decent game in its own right but i'm surprised it didn't put the final nail in the series' coffin.

The fact Samus has been giving a second/third(?) chance and has come out swinging is absolutely above and beyond my expectations. Here's to good sales which will no doubt enhance Prime 4's development budget over time.
Joshihatsumitsu

It took me a while to realise that the recent Samus Returns is basically an update of Metroid II on the GB! I still have my GB copy, which was not an adult-revisiting-the-past-purchase, but a childhood-my-parents-are-awesome-for-getting-this-for-me acquisition.

2D sprite based art is always going to win me over, even if polygons have a certain aesthetic charm.

As someone who hasn't jumped on the switch wagon yet, it's good that the 3DS is getting releases. Might pick it up later though, when money allows.

That legacy edition looks fantastic!
Suits

Post by Suits »

The last quarter of Metroid 2 is dragging a bit for me now :( .

I love it, it looks bloody brriiiiilllllant but the game lacks variety in gameplay I think towards the end.

I have nothing like as much gusto to hunt and kill the last 10 Metroid’s.

The only thing that’s keeping me going is the fact that I want to see the rest of the vistas and unlock more of the the artwork - and well, the ending too :lol: , I do really want to see how it pours into Super Metroid.
Suits

Post by Suits »

So, I just finished Metroid 2.

Whilst I still stand by my last post regards the last 10 Metroids beginning to drag, the final few make it worthwhile.

Sensing the end, I started to get ahead of myself and began to reflect on the game as a whole, then something else happened which put me back a bit :lol: .

In the end, unable to get through it, I put the 3DS down for a few days (pretty much a week in fact) then picked it back up today.

I went back and collected quite a lot of power up's, 40% in fact bringing my completion percentage to 90% from the previous 50%. Now not all of the power ups were meaning full, I mean, once you already have 160 regular rockets - what do another 40 matter. However, there were quite a few, more important boosting power ups that made me think up a few things regards where I had been unsuccessfully banging my head previously.

Too generously more fruitful results 8-) .

All in all it took me just under 21 hours and in that time I managed to get 90% of the items.

It was good, I enjoyed it. It filled in a lot of blanks for the Super Metroid story and I thought Mercury Steam did a stellar job, bringing to life, and to a modern audience, an important part of the Metroid series in a way that felt wholesome and still remaining true to the Metroid genre.

Wonderful swansong for the 3DS.

Now, something that I've very much recently started to enjoy when I see it in games are galleries. This years Wonderboy: Dragons Trap had a good one, which was a pleasure to look through once I finished the game was a good touch I think.

This Metroid has a gallery system too, a little different though.

As you progress through the game and meet certain requirements, (Boss battles, collectables, etc..) you unlock quarters of 10 large pieces of narrative artwork, that tell the Chozo story in Metroid 2.

Now, these large pieces of artwork are monotone in appearance until you unlock the final piece of that image and reveal the full picture. Once that's completed the image comes to colour and life via the systems 3D screen.

THESE ARE WICKED !!!!!

I was using a N3DS-XL, with the better 3D processor and it looked great. A rich, deep, narrative image that brings to life the details of the Chozo race that ultimately met their doom while creating/researching the Metroid's.

This will certainly mean I'll go back and collect the final 10% I need to finish off the last 3 pictures.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Huh, I just went back and collected the last bits to 100% the game.

Once you’ve done that, those 10 pictures turn into 11.

The last one, secret one, is interesting regards the story.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

This little beauty arrived in the mail today.

Took 40 minutes to assemble in order to get it juuust right (these things just take a toll on my OCD), but now I can finally add the best Samus design to my collection. The Other M figma is nice and all, but this is the real deal. Nothing beats these pauldrons. Nothing.
Joshihatsumitsu

KSubzero1000 wrote: November 24th, 2017, 12:02 pm This little beauty arrived in the mail today.

Took 40 minutes to assemble in order to get it juuust right (these things just take a toll on my OCD), but now I can finally add the best Samus design to my collection. The Other M figma is nice and all, but this is the real deal. Nothing beats these pauldrons. Nothing.
Love that particular Figma! Nice grab.
Suits

Post by Suits »

I wasn't aware of these little Metroid Easter Egg's in DKTF, not very subtle either !!

https://medium.com/super-jump/new-easte ... ffc10f984d