Adventures in DIY arcade building

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Joshihatsumitsu

Re: Adventures in DIY arcade building

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Just a quick entry to say if you're still interested in following DIY arcade adventures, just check my Instagram account. My profile is public, so if you don't have an account you can still Google it.

There seems to be trouble finding decent, stable links from Instagram regarding pictures that I can add to this forum, and it's a bit easier for me to just post stuff there. Plus, I'm kinda too lazy to set up a blog! :oops: I blame Insta entirely for the crappy permalinks.

Currently working on my Sega Naomi cab at the moment... slowly but surely. If something catches your eye, or if you want more information regarding parts and where to search for obscure arcade items, just let me know.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

It's a pity the image links are all broken in this thread but appreciate your updates in the past!

I had a quick nosey on your instagram; if you cut out the gaming, you'd be a bona fide Renaissance Man! ;)

The Japanese tools - the planes and saw etc - is there a reason outside of your Japan-o-philia for having these? Really liked those photos.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Chopper wrote: November 19th, 2018, 7:43 am The Japanese tools - the planes and saw etc - is there a reason outside of your Japan-o-philia for having these? Really liked those photos.
Thanks for the compliments!

Why I choose Japanese tools is mainly quality, and simplicity. Japanese saws make very clean and straight cuts, and once you've used them it's hard to go back! Seeing the joinery up close in shrines and castles in Japan was incredibly impressive, and a reminder that there's no substitute for good craftsmanship.

Power-tools are all good and well, and I still need them from time to time, but there's something very meditative and calming about using hand-tools, and just getting outside in the sun and just focusing on cutting one straight line at a time is very good for my mental health.