No Man's Sky

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
macstat

Re: No Man's Sky

Post by macstat »

I found something like that so this :) https://nomansskystat.us/?r=embed So as im writing it, 9 hours and 30 minutes to go :).

Edit: Oh i also found interesting tweet https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/763875660175663108 .
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

PC version goes live at 7pm BST (no pre-downloads), but I'm out for the evening and it's my girlfriend's birthday tomorrow so I won't get a proper look until Sunday maybe.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

It's not being helped that there's a few item duplication bugs so players have been racing to the end. Doing so means you're going to miss a lot of the planets, and it sounds like the algorithm is tuned to get wackier the nearer the core you get.

There will be people finding cool things in this game for years, but it's going to take years of play to really mine it. Those who just want to cane it and move on, well, I think they're missing what the game is about.

Still think the the metacritic will average out around 7. But there are going to be some absolute kickings from some sites.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

The mean average is now up to 73.5% currently with some more positive reviews coming in recently, including a 4.5/5 from Time Magazine.
http://www.gamerankings.com/ps4/739857- ... index.html
countstex

Post by countstex »

It's definitely a stop and smell the roses type game. The core, get to the center end goal should be a 'one day' idea.

I found some two legged horned deer yesterday. So cute! And as I stood admiring them some horrid 8 legged land crab attacked me from behind. Don't often kill the creatures I find but that guy got taken down.

And then I fed the bipedal deer.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I don't seem to have come across many worlds with animals on them so far. I'm finding a lot of barren hellholes where the only thing worth doing is finding a cave as there's usually a good amount of plutonium in them.

There's something very space opera about finding the ruins of a ancient building on a world like that though, as in, 'what happened to this world to make it like this when clearly it once held life'.

Man I wish it would stop crashing though.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Has anyone encountered a 'story' of sorts yet, or any kind of higher purpose other than reaching the centre?
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Yes, there is but I won't spoil anything.
countstex

Re: RE: Re: No Man's Sky

Post by countstex »

Stanshall wrote:Yes, there is but I won't spoil anything.
I presume some language understanding is required to find it out?

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I don't think this is much of a spoiler but if you'd rather know nothing at all...
Spoiler: show
No, the language stuff isn't related, though I think that would have been really cool. Talk about having to piece things together! I also think that the lore stuff is universal across everyone's game. Sean has talked about paths and I think that the story moves along regardless of which planets you visit or what you see and do. It basically nudges along every time you encounter certain situations.I think that's suitably vague!
countstex

Re: RE: Re: No Man's Sky

Post by countstex »

Stanshall wrote:I don't think this is much of a spoiler but if you'd rather know nothing at all...
No, the language stuff isn't related, though I think that would have been really cool. Talk about having to piece things together! I also think that the lore stuff is universal across everyone's game. Sean has talked about paths and I think that the story moves along regardless of which planets you visit or what you see and do. It basically nudges along every time you encounter certain situations.I think that's suitably vague!
Yeah playing alongside my wife I can see how the big picture stuff is mirrored irrespective of which planets you encounter. A fair bit of smoke and mirrors going on from that perspective
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

There isn't really any other way you can do that though, you have to have some control over how an element like that is doled out.

There's more that follows fixed setup as well, the order you get the first X recipes and so on is fixed, regardless of how you're playing. (It's why a handful players using the pre-order bonus got themselves stuck, it bypasses a section of the tutorial flow and the system that's there to counter that isn't 100% foolproof).
Sean

Post by Sean »

I'm so glad I haven't run into any technical issues yet. I can't imagine how crushing that would be to the immersion.

Considering I kicked this thread off thinking "not sure if I should get it" I thought I'd quickly chime in saying I'm finding the game to be an utterly captivating experience. That said, I've only put a few hours in, but, the variety of planets I've already come across has been jaw-dropping in places. Coming across new lifeforms has been the most exciting thing, for me.

Agree that it has plenty of gameplay shortcomings, but, so far, that hasn't been nearly enough to damage my reaction to the game so far, which, has been extremely pleasant.
macstat

Post by macstat »

Ok its downloading PC people ! and i can confirm its only 2.6gb.
PapaJupe13

Post by PapaJupe13 »

The first two days I had no crashing at all. Yesterday it was crash city. Completely restarting the PS4 cleared that up.

I am enjoying the game. Having not paid any attention to the pre-release hype, I had nothing to be annoyed with. It is exactly what I hoped, a scavenging/crafting/exploring game.
Still not sure if this one is gonna have legs though. It feels like it needs something more to really keep me interested. Base building would be grand. If they could figure out a way to allow every player to claim one undiscovered planet as their base planet and implement some sort of warp to and from that planet, it could add a ton of play time for me. But I have no idea if that would even be possible. I know there is talk of base building and freight ship owning being added later.
Right now though, I am still enjoying what we got. It definitely has that addictive quality that makes it hard to put down.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I think they might be starting to rue going the self-published route on the PC.

There's talk they've hired on a new QA team to assist. My gut is that that's probably local firm Testology. I know plenty of their people and I know they're thorough so the issues should be diagnosed (if not fixed) pretty quickly.

It's really hard to make games of this scale without a substantial QA, and that's usually one of the reasons you sign with a publisher, for that extra support.
macstat

Post by macstat »

Unfortunaly im also experiencing some technical difficulties. One that's been popping up regularly is massive framerate drop upon entering spaceship. It happens about ... 60% ish ? I need to restart the game and pray ;)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

OK so, it runs for me.

It is somewhat stuttery at times but far from unplayable. I say that having not left the ground yet by the way.
My processor isn't the latest (3.4GHz quad core i5) but my graphics card is (GeForce 1070) and according to Can You Run It? my machine overall exceeds minimum spec, suggesting that there's a good deal of optimisation needs doing to this right now.

Many people are reporting that game either crashes on the title screen or suffers with such poor frame-rate us to be unendurable.
So it's a bit shoddy to say the least, but patch one has already rolled out and I suspect we'll see a flurry of updates over the next few days.

Flabyo, I've read some suggestions that a full shutdown and reboot (not just rest mode) of the PS4 may improve your chances of avoiding regular crashes.
It seems that some players aren't getting these at all in fact so I'm not sure what the issue is. Could be something to do with digital vs. disc maybe?
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I never run my consoles in rest mode, so it's not that...