No Man's Sky

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
stvnorman

Re: No Man's Sky

Post by stvnorman »

I really want to give this a go, but as per my other post a minute ago, I'm now living with a medieval Internet connection in most rural Bedfordshire. Do you need a decent connection to play this?
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

The internet functionality is rudimentary at best. As long as you can see an internet, it'll work. That's assuming their server is even up, which it often isn't.

All it uses the net connection for at the moment is to log your discoveries so other people can see what you named them if they happen to cross your path.

At least, that's all it seems to be doing at the moment anyway.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'm enjoying this. Been playing about four hours and finally got the stuff together to repair my ship. The only thing niggling me about it is that they've not given any thought at all to remote play controls, and it's very difficult to use on Vita as a result. A simple fix would be to allow button remapping. I've emailed them about it, but I shouldn't think it's top of their to do list.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Flabyo wrote:The internet functionality is rudimentary at best. As long as you can see an internet, it'll work. That's assuming their server is even up, which it often isn't.

All it uses the net connection for at the moment is to log your discoveries so other people can see what you named them if they happen to cross your path.

At least, that's all it seems to be doing at the moment anyway.
Thanks Flabyo! Sounds like it's a go. Cheers.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Had my first crash last night which was annoying but once in about 8 hours isn't as bad as some people. Anyone found the patch notes for 1.08 yet? Seems odd not to release alongside the update itself.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Limitless Sky: No Man’s Sky Unofficial Discovery Guide

Post by ratsoalbion »

Hey all.

Later today (at 20:00 GMT on Saturday 26th November) I'll be interviewing Game Informer Senior Editor Jeff Cork about his new book, Limitless Sky: No Man’s Sky Unofficial Discovery Guide.

If you have any questions that you would like me to put to him, please post them below and I will consider them for inclusion in the interview.

Many thanks!
Alex79

Re: Questions for Jeff Cork - No Man's Sky book interview 26.11.16

Post by Alex79 »

Ah wow I'll be looking forward to this episode!

Could you ask what the single most exciting and interesting moment of the game was for him? (Unless the answer involves the end of the game - I dont want to hear about that, yet!) For me personally, given the relatively short amount of time I've spent with it, I absolutely loved discovering you could dive under the water and that there was stuff to discover down there. The tranquility of gliding around under the sea was an even bigger wow moment for me than the first time you get your ship off the ground and head in to outer space.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Also, is he worried about the potential target audience for the book given that so many people have either given up on the game or taken it back for a refund?
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

No question here but as someone who absolutely loved the first twenty hours slow progress and intermittent quality of life upgrades, who was excited about the promise of what lay ahead in the game with the Atlas quest and who immediately lost all interest and enthusiasm once I realised it was an infinite plateau, I'd genuinely love to know what prompted Jeff to write this book, and what he feels there is to say about it.

There are no discoveries or secrets or Easter eggs in this game. You can do everything there is to do on the starting planet. By explaining the basic systems in a book, you remove any enjoyable illusion of progress that a player might feel. I'm not even having a go at HG here, that's shooting fish in a barrel, I'm just baffled that there's a book in this game about anything other than the development and promotion process.

And for this reason, I'm absolutely fascinated about the interview.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

That looks like a pretty good update. Might be time to dive back in! Soon as I've finished Dark Souls 2. And Sleeping Dogs. And GTA5. And Firewatch. >_<
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Definitely pretty substantial, although for me it's doubling down on the aspects I found least interesting about the game. But then I don't get on with minecraft either.

I'll be sticking with Elite I think.
eastmcduck

Post by eastmcduck »

Good, this is exactly what I've been waiting for. I might be picking this back up sooner than I expected.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Besides all the new additions, I gotta say, the added motion blur and AA stuff really makes the game look a *LOT* better. Happy to dive back in.
countstex

Post by countstex »

I'm liking the idea of owning a freighter. But my savings are not yet quite high enough. Certainly added some more dimensions to the game. I do get the feeling that this is now a little more at the stage where they would have released if people hadn't have pushed so much.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

I really hope that No Man's Sky manages to reach a point where the systems beyond exploration are really compelling. I still want to check this game out, despite bottling on buying it closer to launch.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

That's why I find the addition of the base building etc... to be an odd choice. That goes against the idea that its a game about exploration.

They seem to be focusing on the 'survival game' aspects, and those are a dime a dozen on Steam. I think it's a shame they didn't concentrate on the space opera aspects, because there's definitely room for a more accessible, less simulation heavy, version of Elite.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah, a deeper trading and space piracy system would have been fantastic. Basically, I just wanted Freelancer with prettier graphics and on-planet exploration.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Alex79uk wrote:Yeah, a deeper trading and space piracy system would have been fantastic. Basically, I just wanted Freelancer with prettier graphics and on-planet exploration.
So you want Elite: Dangerous - Horizons then.
:)

I think there's much more to come from NMS, on and off-world. It could yet be one of the great turnarounds in gaming history. Perhaps.

The interview with Game Informer's Jeff went well by the way, although he was far more interested to talk about the game and its (perceived) failings than his own book.
His vested interest in NMS certainly didn't see him shy away from talking about the game's shortcomings and the furore surrounding them.

I think it will make for a pleasant listen when the podcast comes out later this week or early next.
I think the new update has already rendered some of our speculation redundant however - in a good way!
countstex

Post by countstex »

Flabyo wrote:That's why I find the addition of the base building etc... to be an odd choice. That goes against the idea that its a game about exploration.

They seem to be focusing on the 'survival game' aspects, and those are a dime a dozen on Steam. I think it's a shame they didn't concentrate on the space opera aspects, because there's definitely room for a more accessible, less simulation heavy, version of Elite.
From what I have worked out so far, you can build a base which you can transport back to from any space station, then you can return to that same space station from your base and continue exploring. Though I haven't tested that. I'm more interested in having my own freighter to travel around with me and load up with rare elements ;)