All things Resident Evil (Biohazard)

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
AndyKurosaki

Re: Resident Evil

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Can't say I've regretted going through each Campaign one after another, the Story's not that significant so I've not felt I've spoiled it playing that way.

Finished Chris' Campaign, the last boss took some doing as my ammo was low, and the AI partner wasn't much help. But I most certainly think it's a better Campaign than Leon's. Started Jake's now, which seems to be the least favourite for most people.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Listened to an hour of a sad Brad Shoemaker wondering where this game went wrong on the Giant Bombcast today.

In other Resi news, I'm thinking of picking up the Wii versions of Resident Evil Remake & Resident Evil Zero.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Resi remakes good, it's great being able to use the classic controller as I found using the wiimote a ball ache with Resi 4.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Whereas I LOVED Resi 4 on the Wii - played it through multiple times over 60 hours!

I had the remake on Cube, but the Wii version has 16:9 and prog scan I think.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I think I couldn't get over the fact I'd played it through at least 4 or 5 times on my GC then having to use the wiimote.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Yeah that figures. I had it on the Cube but never completed it.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Yeah that figures. I had it on the Cube but never completed it.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Completely put off by the demo I've finally started the game now. I've cleared the first 2 chapters of each campaign and I hate to say it but it's not actually that bad!
When will I see the stuff that's given it the "don't even rent it" scores it's amassed?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

As I say, if you look at the reviews most are middling. It's just obviously disappointing for a numbered Resi game to be average.
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Personally Mike I think the "don't even rent it" scores are way off the mark.It's certainly my least favourite of the core series, but it's still a good game in places.
For me, the parts I thought were a bit awful are Leon Chapter 3, and Chris Chapter 2. I've seen reviews say Jake Chapter 1 is awful, but I quite enjoyed it.

Best thing I'd say is ignore the reviews completely, and see what you make of it. It's not a "pay £40 for it game". But Resi Operation Racoon City is much, much MUCH worse than this.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

So an awful instadeath vehicle section followed by an awful sneaking section. Capcom must've had a sick sense of humour during the planning of Jakes campaign....
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

AndyKurosaki wrote:Personally Mike I think the "don't even rent it" scores are way off the mark.It's certainly my least favourite of the core series, but it's still a good game in places.
For me, the parts I thought were a bit awful are Leon Chapter 3, and Chris Chapter 2. I've seen reviews say Jake Chapter 1 is awful, but I quite enjoyed it.

Best thing I'd say is ignore the reviews completely, and see what you make of it. It's not a "pay £40 for it game". But Resi Operation Racoon City is much, much MUCH worse than this.
Completely agree on Operation Racoon City being shit! Finished the final campaign now and I'm going to put it on par with Resi 5, for what little story it has to work with I'm glad it at least does it well enough to care. I played them all as suggested evenly across chapters and it felt pretty good getting to catch up on a campaign whilst having a break with the others.

It's just a shame the final one had to be played full-on, the game had outstayed it's welcome to start a new campaign at that point so I'm glad it was mercifully short though I did expect greater revelations that what I actually got. Overall, definitely worth a play, probably not worth buying.
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Well Jake Chapter 2 is utterly awful,the worst in the game miles. Spend ages traipsing around a fucking snowstorm where you can barely see a thing. Then an instant-death vehicle section. And rounded off with a stealth section that totally sucks balls.
Fortunatly Chapters 3 and 4 are much better, and are certainly worth playing.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

That stealth section in Chapter 2 made me turn it off in a rage last night.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I'm sending it back to Lovefilm tomorrow. It's not fun and I'm not enjoying it. I love Resi but I refuse to play something I'm not liking at all just because its got Resident Evil in the title.
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Finished Jake's Campaign, Chapter 2 almost utterly derailed it, but Chapter's 3,4 and 5 make up for it. So that's the 3 Main Campaign's finished, it's certainly a mixed-bag. Some of it is genuinely fun, but some of it can be very frustrating.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

AndyKurosaki wrote:Finished Jake's Campaign, Chapter 2 almost utterly derailed it, but Chapter's 3,4 and 5 make up for it. So that's the 3 Main Campaign's finished, it's certainly a mixed-bag. Some of it is genuinely fun, but some of it can be very frustrating.
Chapter 2 broke me, must be losing patience in my old age! :(
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

It nearly did me, but having played the rest through to the end I was determined to get through it. Though the Stealth section is utterly vile, it's the only part like it in his entire Campaign, so it could be worse.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I think my Resi fan boy threw its toys out playing this. Not had much fun with any of it to be honest. I'll come back to this at some point in the future.
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Finished the final character's Campaign, which is probably the best of the lot. It's certainly a better game than the low reviews claim, for all it's faults and mis-steps, there is fun to be had here.