When's Mahvel? (The Marvel vs. Capcom thread)

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Michiel K

Re: When's Mahvel? (The Marvel vs. Capcom thread)

Post by Michiel K »

A very thorough deeper look into what we've seen of MvC Infinite's combat system so far...

James

Post by James »

*Possible* leaked roster for Marvel Vs Capcom: Infinite. If it's accurate, it looks like there are indeed no X-Men or Fantastic Four characters in the initial lineup. It's also a smaller roster than for previous games: 28 before DLC, versus 48 in UMvC3, 36 in MvC3 and 55 in MvC2.

Got to imagine Capcom have BIG plans for additional characters via downloadable content, as there are gaps too in the Capcom side.

Personally, I'd hoped to see Phoenix Wright and Amaterasu return, and I really hoped for Asura, new Dante and Missile (yes, the dog from Ghost Trick :D ) to find their way in. I know new Dante was a futile hope, given Capcom have all but disowned the reboot, but I liked that incarnation a lot.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

New Dante would not be a good fit in an over the top crossover fighting game, in my opinion. White manes and bright red coat all the way!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

...Interesting business model for sure.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

To say this list is a disapointement would be a massive understatement, most of the characters there are copy pastes of MvC3 and the initial roster is looking really small, it might be too early to call it but MvC Infinite is looking to be a very rushed job, when I saw footage from it a few weeks ago I couldnt believe the game was coming out this year because of how rough just the visuals looked. Honestly after the tepid reception of SFV I have no idea what Capcom is thinking rushing this game out the door, hopefully Im wrong though and I really hope this leak is fake for once.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Todinho wrote: May 31st, 2017, 8:01 pm I have no idea what Capcom is thinking
If I had to guess, I'd say it probably goes something like "Oh, so people are willing to get charged multiple times over the course of several years for this game? Gogogo, time to cash in, they'll buy it anyway!". But then again, I'm feeling cynical today.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

As much as I'd like to, you can't blame Capcom for the Marvel side of the roster.

They can only use what the terms of the licence allow, and it's very clear that Disney want the emphasis here to be on the MCU side of things, hence nothing that currently sits with Fox.

Going to be super weird having a MvC game with no Doom, Sentinel or Wolverine though.

I'm not overly fussed though. I thought the roster for Injustice 2 seemed weak (Captain Cold? Doctor Fate?) but that game is cracking so...
James

Post by James »

Michiel K wrote: May 31st, 2017, 7:43 pm New Dante would not be a good fit in an over the top crossover fighting game, in my opinion. White manes and bright red coat all the way!
Did you get to the end of DmC, Michiel? ;)
Flabyo wrote: June 1st, 2017, 8:33 am As much as I'd like to, you can't blame Capcom for the Marvel side of the roster.

They can only use what the terms of the licence allow, and it's very clear that Disney want the emphasis here to be on the MCU side of things, hence nothing that currently sits with Fox.

Going to be super weird having a MvC game with no Doom, Sentinel or Wolverine though.

I'm not overly fussed though. I thought the roster for Injustice 2 seemed weak (Captain Cold? Doctor Fate?) but that game is cracking so...
As with NRS, Capcom definitely have to negotiate for which characters they can use. Must be disappointing for them to have something like half their wishlist just discarded out of hand by Marvel/Disney.

Still, as long as the game is good, I'm sure I'll find a character or two to my tastes! ;)

Though, I agree. On first blush there are a lot of series stalwarts missing, and I'd even say I was mildly disappointed, not so much with the characters that are in as the ones that are missing.

This is all supposition, of course, not just because the list is an unconfirmed leak, but also because I can only go by what little I heard in interviews as to how (character) decisions are made in licensed games like this.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

I managed to find a copy of Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 for PS4 yesterday. I'll be sticking with this for the time being.

I do not like the MCU emphasis in the new game. Hopefully they'll remedy this in the "Ultimate" or whatever it's called version that comes out a year later.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Playable demo of Marvel vs Capcom Infinite up on the PlayStation store this morning (And I think it's due on the Xbox on as well by now, not checked cause my arcade stick is on PlayStation so that's where I am).

Think it's of the story mode, so no two player versus.

[Edit]

Ok, played it. The feel seems not too different from UMvC3 to me, which means I'll probably pass. I suck at these high execution long combo games. Probably going to be a cracking thing to watch at tournament level though.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

May as well put the new trailers in here as well.

Gameplay:

Story Mode:
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

This game is in danger of receiving more of a backlash than SFV is getting. The art style is bland, the Capcom characters have bizarre looking faces and the fighting engine is overly simplified and doesn't encourage learning. Apart from that, the character cast is severely lacking and I can see it turning into another DLC platform in that aspect.

I'm thinking they shouldn't have taken this project on in-house, but should have farmed it out to a reputable studio instead. Eighting did well for them before. Capcom haven't developed a fighting game internally since Fighting Jam/Evolution and I'm really afraid they don't have the chops to do it at the moment.

I haven't seen the anticipation for a much hyped game die down so instantly. ArcSys fantastic looking Dragon Ball 3 vs. 3 fighter completely overshadowing it isn't helping either.

That September release is looking awfully close. I really hope they can make some good strides to fix this game to the best of their abilities, after a dismal E3 showing... which resulted in the following image:

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

The pro players seem to be having fun with it at e3, suggests there's enough depth in there to encourage them that the game can be a tournament staple.

But yeah, from my brief go of the demo it doesn't feel like a must buy for me, personally. Even with the simplified inputs and such it still feels like it's going to be extremely execution heavy.
James

Post by James »

Flabyo wrote: June 15th, 2017, 9:57 am The pro players seem to be having fun with it at e3, suggests there's enough depth in there to encourage them that the game can be a tournament staple.
This is encouraging, but the same could be said of SFV. Capcom have managed to mess up everything to do with that game, besides the core fighting systems. Obviously, that's the most important aspect, and should be the focus, but I'm really starting to wonder if Capcom know how to build a game around a solid core.

I don't know if that E3 Story trailer was a rushed job to show that a story mode will be in the game, or if that was final cutscene footage, either way this is a game that's due out in 3 months; scant time to finish or fix some of the scariest faces seen at an E3 that included two mutant bears!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Did you play the demo yet? The story stuff isn't delivered with even a fraction of the skill of a Netherrealm game. It feels like it's there because they decided they had to do it, not because they wanted it.

Brand recognition will help it sell. It may well do better than SFV (being on the XBO as well as the PS4 won't hurt it in that regard), but I can't see it being the breakout sales title that they want.

Capcom are in a weird place right now. They undoubtedly have some talented devs and designers, but too many of their recent games are showing a lack of 'time in the oven' to deal with the rough edges. It feels like a company running on deadlines that are too tight, perhaps there's money pressure there?

I've been expecting someone to come in and merge/acquire them for years now, the IP alone makes them an attractive target, but for whatever reason no one seems interested. There's not even any rumours of it.
James

Post by James »

Flabyo wrote: June 15th, 2017, 11:18 am Did you play the demo yet? The story stuff isn't delivered with even a fraction of the skill of a Netherrealm game. It feels like it's there because they decided they had to do it, not because they wanted it.
I haven't. Been too wrapped up in E3 panels and Injustice 2!

I felt similarly when watching the E3 trailer. I know not everyone wants a Story Mode (I do), but if you're going to attempt one, then at least make it look the part.

The state of SFV at launch certainly led me to wonder about Capcom's financial situation. This only cements that. I don't know what the future holds, but (from a consumer standpoint) they seem to be making a lot of wrong moves, lately.

Such a shame. I just hope they can turn this reaction around come September.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Flabyo wrote: June 15th, 2017, 11:18 am Did you play the demo yet? The story stuff isn't delivered with even a fraction of the skill of a Netherrealm game. It feels like it's there because they decided they had to do it, not because they wanted it
I agree with this totally. It felt fairly easy for a MvC game and the story is kind of ham fisted.

I'll be waiting for the inevitable update to this.
James

Post by James »

If they're taking the same tack as the SFV story (individual or cinematic), then it'll be brain numbing to play through. It was never tough, but I quite liked that Injustice 2 asked the player to improve and learn how to fight a little.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Not long after recording the podcast on the versus series, Leon hipped me to a super cheap deal for MvC:I, and here is my take so far...

The game is an eyesore in so many places, but I'm really warming up to its systems. Active switch in place of the old tags and assists makes everything super flexible, as you can constantly juggle your two characters, i.e. bring the other in while your point character is in the middle of an animation or combo and the Infinity Stones do quite dramatically alter the way you play your team. I'm even starting to think it's a better game at its core than Marvel 3, except for the roster and the presentation. For anyone unsure, check out the following recent series of matches from Red Bull Proving Grounds. The creativity of the players and the overall intensity are off the charts...

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Not sure if this is relevant but it's a Marvel vs Capcom thread!

I recently picked up Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 on Vita, having drunkenly got obsessed with it and finding out it's getting quite rare now after it was removed from PSN etc.

WOW! I can't quite explain how impressive this game looks & feels, I'm not sure I've seen anything more vibrant & bursting out of the screen, with a flawless framerate, just amazing. Crazily enough the online still works and I've had a few fights & spectated too in lobbies. Lots of fun.

Anyone else still playing this?