New Year's Gaming Resolutions!

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
gallo_pinto

Re: New Year's Gaming Resolutions!

Post by gallo_pinto »

Stanshall wrote:As you may well know, MGSV is available on PS3 and is supposed to be a damn good 'version'.
That's true. I hear it's really pretty though and I want to wait for the PS4 version just to make sure I have the optimal experience.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Alex79uk wrote:
ThirdDrawing wrote:I will continue with my regular resolution of not buying anything digital
Really? Whys that? You're missing out on some incredible games!
Don't care. For me, I'm not missing out on anything.

Don't want to start a debate, I just don't bother with digital only.

And I like Limited Run Games a lot, except for their tiny print runs. I don't think it's fair that some people end up missing out on games they want because there weren't enough copies.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Hence the name, Limited Run, I suppose.

I understand the aversion to buying digital. No trade in value, no nice row of boxes on the shelf, and the ever present threat that your game collection does kind of rely on them always being available to download.

There are too many incredible digital only games to miss out on, though. I pretty much only buy digitally when it's in a sale, mind. I've only ever bought one or two games, even indies, at full price. The PSN sale is really good sometimes.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

I'm gonna buy a lot less, and play a lot more. I have a huge backlog to play through before spending my money on anything this year.

Still gonna buy the switch on launch though.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

ThirdDrawing wrote:Don't care. For me, I'm not missing out on anything.
If I can help it, I also like to buy physical releases, because I prefer to have something tangible that can increase in monetary value over time. But if I would have ignored downloadable releases I would, amongst others, have missed out on the following:

- Bionic Commando Rearmed
- Pac-Man Championship Edition DX
- Hard Corps: Uprising
- Strania: The Stella Machina
- Bangai-O HD: Missile Fury
- Gradius / Contra / Castlevania The Adventure Rebirth

Not to mention a whole bunch of older PC and console games that go for stupid money in the second hand market these days (hello, increase in monetary value) and that have become pretty much unaffordable.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

ThirdDrawing wrote:I will continue with my regular resolution of not buying anything digital.
Taken from Games completed 2017 thread:
ThirdMan wrote:01/01 Sara is Missing (Android)
ThirdMan wrote:02/01 Monument Valley (Android)

*ahem* That resolution lasted long then! :D
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

What's with all these bloody thirds all over the place!

Lol!

:oops:
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

ThirdMan wrote:Btw, I only buy digital these days so we're a perfect couple.
:P
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

ThirdMan wrote:So I'm going to make mobile gaming one of my New Year's resolutions. I'm going to seek out and play some of the best titles
not sure about Android availability but:

Mini Metro
Her Story
The Room trilogy (bonus: this is covered by the podcast this year)

Would be a decent place to start.
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

Making a gaming resoulution to try and play more games on XB1 and maybe wrap up a few on the 360 from my backlog collection aswell. They got a bit neglected last year with my trophy hunting in full swing.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

ThirdMan wrote:I'm currently playing Threes! It's fantastic and for the first time ever I'm competing against my girlfriend for a top score!
I love that game but my wife decimated my highest score!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I got that Mini Metro after you mentioned it the other day, Flabyo, but I'm not really sure how to play it!

Also downloaded Sara Is Missing after ThirdMan's post.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Alex79uk wrote:Hence the name, Limited Run, I suppose.

I understand the aversion to buying digital. No trade in value, no nice row of boxes on the shelf, and the ever present threat that your game collection does kind of rely on them always being available to download.

There are too many incredible digital only games to miss out on, though. I pretty much only buy digitally when it's in a sale, mind. I've only ever bought one or two games, even indies, at full price. The PSN sale is really good sometimes.
I can totally understand, I lost a lot of games when I sold my Xbox 360. Digital collections are literally worthless if the game has been taken off the store and your hard drive / memory card goes. Personally I got over it though and have a lot of great digital content on my PS4, Vita, Wii U & 3DS. I will always buy physical as a first choice though, as I like having a physical copy and so I can decide to sell later if I want to. The trend of day one patches though does make games increasingly digital dependant either way despite this.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

I never really bother with resolutions - it was only half way through last year that I just decided to build an arcade cab, something just decided on a whim, and because opportunities presented themselves.

That being said, in the spirit of the thread, I did purchase RPG Maker and TyranoBuilder, to pieces of game making software that makes up for my lack of programming talent. And this year I want to spend more serious time on developing my first game. I have my notebooks where I've been keeping my ideas/notes and I do intend to be more proactive this year.

That being said, it's not like I expect to finish anything this year, but I need to start somewhere, and sometime, and now is as good a time as any. There's no deadline, or expectations, just an opportunity to learn something new.

Which I guess means whatever games I do play this year will probably involve me noticing things more within those games.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

ThirdMan wrote:I've played two Android games over the past two days and I've enjoyed the experience. So I'm going to make mobile gaming one of my New Year's resolutions. I'm going to seek out and play some of the best titles. The problem will always be the touch screen controls.
I hear your control issues, so thought I'd tell you the games I've found and enjoyed on the platform that avoid these.

Lara Croft Go is a clever little puzzler which I thoroughly loved. If its for you then Hitman Go and Deus Ex Go will be worth a look too.

Alto's Adventure is a simple snowboard arcade title where you merely control when you jump. Its given me weeks of pleasure. The best constant runner I found on the platform was Rayman Jungle Run.

Drop 7 is up there with Threes for me as the best repeat play puzzler on mobile. The mobile version of Countdown on Android is pretty decent too if you like the TV show.

80 Days is the best mobile game ever in my eyes. A choose your own text adventure based on Fogg getting around the world. C&R did a podcast on it and if you haven't played it, seek it out.

Not sure if you can get Year Walk on Android, but if so do. Its great. Simogo also made Device 6, a real brainteasing little puzzler. If you liked these, then The Room will be up your street too.

And if all else fails, download ScummVM and play classics like Monkey Island, Flight of the Amazon Queen, Broken Sword and Beneath a Steel sky.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Don't forget some of the Broken Sword games are available natively for Android, so you won't need ScummVM. I'll second Altos Adventures. Love that game. You know they're making a sequel?
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

JaySevenZero wrote:What's with all these bloody thirds all over the place!

Lol!

:oops:
hehehehe

I picked my name from a Stephen King book, though had I known about Third Man, I would probably have picked a different name.

It wasn't on purpose, I swear!
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Alex79uk wrote:Don't forget some of the Broken Sword games are available natively for Android, so you won't need ScummVM. I'll second Altos Adventures. Love that game. You know they're making a sequel?
I didn't, no. Great news! Been stuck since getting the wingsuit. Any tips?
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

My one and only aim is to have less games in my backlog at the end of the year than I had at the start!

I’m a bugger for buying things when I know full well I have very little time to play them, and in reality I’ve probably already got enough games across XBO, PS4, PSVR and Vita to keep me occupied for the entire year without buying a single game! Now that’s not going to happen, but when I’ve got games like Uncharted 4, Rise Of The Tomb Raider, Forza Horizon 3, Gears Of War 4, MGSV, Ratchet & Clank and Eve Valkyrie among many others collecting dust, I am going to need a really strong case to justify opening my wallet in 2017!

That said, if it lives up to the promise of it’s concept I might have to buy a Switch… :roll:
Suits

Post by Suits »

Finish games I never finished as a child.

Mainly Nintendo ones, mainly SNES.