Games completed 2017

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Games completed 2017

Post by ratsoalbion »

Good luck with TLL!

While I personally still favour Galaxy 1 over 2, I still think the second is an incredible game. You are in for a total treat!
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Alex79uk wrote:Yeah there was so much going on in that game, such a brilliant story I felt. Did you...
Spoiler: show
...work out what was going on with the Uncle?
Um ..... no. :(
I'll probably have to play it again in the next couple of weeks to figure out more.
Does the morphine and syringes in the safe have anything to do with it?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

ColinAlonso wrote:
Alex79uk wrote:Yeah there was so much going on in that game, such a brilliant story I felt. Did you...
...work out what was going on with the Uncle?
Um ..... no. :(
I'll probably have to play it again in the next couple of weeks to figure out more.
Does the morphine and syringes in the safe have anything to do with it?
He was a drug addict, yes. But there's a really chilling back story between him and the dad of the family (so his nephew) if you look for it.
The Sonic Mole

Post by The Sonic Mole »

The Sonic Mole wrote: So far this year...

The Last Guardian (PS4)
My Nintendo Picross: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (3DS)
Super Mario Bros. (Wii U Virtual Console)
Yakuza 4 (PS3)

Maybe my favourite in the series so far.
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

(Jan) Quantum Break - XB1.
(Jan) Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag - PS4.
(Jan) Adr1ft - PS4.
(Jan) Dear Esther - PS4.
(Jan) Virginia - PS4.
(Jan) The London Heist - PSVR
(Feb) Flashback(2013) - PSN.
(Feb) Rain - PSN.
(Feb) Lara Croft & The Guardian of Light - PSN.
(Feb) Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II - PS3.
(Feb) Far Cry Primal - PS4.
Dante Fireseed

Post by Dante Fireseed »

February 18th - The Witness (PS4)

I had mixed feelings on this game by the end, a truly visionary and ingenious puzzle game, with so many ideas going on and lots to discover from an apparently simplistic basic idea, draw a line from start to finish. I found some of the areas logical and engaging, difficult but always fair. Others, however, I found to lack logical basis and there were too many leaps of logic, which to me seemed odd and frustrating. I also didn't enjoy the end area at all and the ending, well there isn't one. Having said that I had 30 ish really enjoyable hours with this game until the end so overall well worth it to experience the world, which is quite unique.
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

ratsoalbion wrote:While I also have much more affection overall for SM3DW (and SM3DL for that matter) - and I feel similarly about the less charming NSMB aesthetic - I would contest that the level design and core gameplay mechanics across the NSMB series (except the much maligned NSMB2, which I haven't played) are far too strong and consistent for those games to feel like 'cover versions'.
I would recommend you keep it that way, Leon. It is by far and away the only Mario platformer that I outright despise. The utter laziness and lack of any personality whatsoever is the closest Nintendo has ever approached a series in the style of Activision and Ubisoft. It felt less like a passion project and more like an obligation. "Oh, have we got any mario title out this year? No, better squeeze one out, then." I have heard the Wii U version is actually a pretty solid platformer but NSMB2 has put me off any future titles in the series, I found it that dire. Thank God Odyssey seems to be shaking off the homogeneous blandness of the NSMB aesthetic. It was just what the Mario series needed.
The Sonic Mole wrote:Probably the biggest hole in my Mario history though is Galaxy 2, which I've had sat on my shelf for years. I'm really looking forward to getting stuck into it.
Galaxy 2 on the other hand, THAT is how you do a sequel. Sublime masterpiece of a game :)
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

14/01: Rez Infinite
16/01: Journey
20/02: Bastion
20/02: Pokemon Moon

Bastion (PS4)

Finished it first time last month but finished the New game plus on Monday. Felt good one hit KO'ing enemies that gave me a lot of grief when I first started this title. Nice pick up and play style to this game, had a lot of fun while it lasted.

Pokemon Moon (3DS)

Beat the Elite Four and became Champion. Honestly, one of the best Pokemon games to have come out in years. Ride Pokemon, Island challenges, bonding with your Pokemon that gives you advantages in battle, really cool new monsters, engaging story, fun antagonists in Team Skull and a Elite Four that was legitimately challenging. It polished concepts that worked well in previous games and significantly altered and improved the few annoyances in older games. Still a lot of post game stuff to do but I always consider a Pokemon game beat if I defeat the Elite Four (do not have the time nowadays to collect them all, that is for sure!). Will probably try online battling at some point when I transfer some of my old teams over from Pokemon Bank. But yes, I had an absolute blast with this one. Interesting to see where the series goes from here.
gallo_pinto

Post by gallo_pinto »

Jan - Cave Story (3DS)
Jan - Hidden my game by mom (iPhone)
Jan - Hidden my game by mom 2 (iPhone)
Jan - Frog Fractions (Mac - Replay)
Jan - The End of the World (iPhone)
Jan - Rhythm Heaven Fever (Wii)
Jan - Shovel Knight (3DS - Replay)
Feb - Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii - Replay)

I finished replaying Skyward Sword for the podcast. I was able to borrow a nunchuk from a friend to beat the final boss after my new dog chewed through mine. My thoughts are still the same as what I posted on the thread (I had beaten the Sandship by the recording date). This is a Zelda masterpiece trapped in a mediocre Zelda game. I think it ends up being my least favorite of the 3D Zeldas (though I still enjoyed it overall).
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

Flabyo wrote:Code Veronica was the last Resident Evil game I played. Never felt any desire to play another after that. Read into that what you will...
Mannnnnn, you have to give Resident Evil 4 a fair shake at least.
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

(Jan) Adr1ft - PS4.
(Jan) Dear Esther - PS4.
(Jan) Virginia - PS4.
(Feb) Rain - PSN.
(Feb) Bayonetta 2 - WiiU.
The Sonic Mole

Post by The Sonic Mole »

The Sonic Mole wrote: So far this year...

The Last Guardian (PS4)
My Nintendo Picross: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (3DS)
Super Mario Bros. (Wii U Virtual Console)
Yakuza 4 (PS3)
Monkey Island 2: Special Edition (PC)

I decided to chip away at the games I've amassed in my Steam library while Han watches rubbish on telly. I flew through this in small chunks over the course of the week, having played it to death on my Mum's 386 (sans voice acting) back in the early 90s. I must say I don't care for the updated graphics and switched back to the still very stylish original art pretty much straight away. An undoubted classic for sure, and it took me back to a more innocent time when Star Wars references weren't hackneyed!
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Oops, missed a few of these off my first list but inserted them back in nicely

Jan - Guilty Gear Xrd: Revelator
Jan - Mad Max
Jan - Streets of Rage 2
Jan - Guardian Heroes
Jan - Xcom 2 (+dlc)
Jan - Titanfall 2 (+online G5)
Jan - Shining Force
Jan - Street Fighter III: 2nd Impact
Jan - Street Fighter III: Third Strike Online
Jan - Mr Driller (2500ft)
Feb - Earthworm Jim Special Edition
Feb - Baku Baku
Feb - Day of the Tentacle Remastered
Feb - Resident Evil 7
Feb - Fire Emblem Heroes
Feb - The Last Guardian
Feb - Mercs
Feb - Doom
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

05/01 - Forza Horizon 3: Blizzard Mountain
15/01 - Odin Sphere Leifthrasir
17/01 - The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
25/01 - The Unfinished Swan
29/01 - Folklore
31/01 - Doom (Hurt Me Plenty)
04/02 - Gravity Rush 2
26/02 - Unravel

This game really had a massive impact on me that I wasn't expecting. It took me a while to get around to it. Even though I've always been somewhat interested in it, the muted response it got made me skip it in favour of other stuff at the time of release. But for some reason it seems to have been popping up in conversation lately, at least for the soundtrack, and I also noticed it was on sale for a steal the other day, so I finally picked it up.

Purely from the standpoint of how good it is as a game, it's not the greatest. Far from terrible, but the reason is resonated with me so much wasn't really from any gameplay originality or execution perspective. The wool-themed puzzle solving is fun and inventive enough, but it hardly pushes any boundaries or anything. The game also has some sections which can be rather frustrating, mostly due to the wonky, floppy physics. There are certain points where you might need to get an object in a certain position, and the thing just won't cooperate because the physics are acting up, or there might be a section that asks some light platforming from you, yet is still asking too much with how inaccurate and unpredictable Yarny is to control. Most of the time the puzzling is breezy fun, so overall it's a positive experience. But it's not positive enough to make me overlook the issues it has.

But the thing that really struck me about the game was its aesthetic and tone. It really captured a feeling that I've never seen a game do anywhere near so well. I think this might be the reason the game got such a mixed reception on release too. The best word for it is probably nostalgia. But not in the way nostalgia is usually used with games. It's not emulating a style of game that's come before. Instead it captures a feeling of a certain time and place for me. It came across as something very personal. Perhaps that's what's lost on some people, since it's so individual, but I digress. But exactly what's so special about it is that it creates an incredibly evocative realisation of natural bliss. It's not just the gorgeously rendered levels, and their attention to detail. It's bathed in an atmosphere that captures the serenity and rustic charm of the countryside. It all comes together, along with things like the lighting, the soundtrack, and atmospheric touches like sound design and creatures that scurry around in the undergrowth, to give it a tangibility that makes it clear that the developers knew this is exactly the kind of thing they wanted to create, and knew exactly how to make that happen. It comes across like someone trying to express their pure love of nature, and the people they share that with, to the whole world. To me it immediately reminded me of the times when I used to go out on country walks with my family as a child, as well as the time I spent later in my life in Sweden, which is fittingly the place the game is set. Those days I spent out in the forests, on hilltops, or walking over the fields, filled me with such wonder. It was easy to lose yourself in it, feeling like the days could go on forever, especially on those lazy summer days when it seemed the sun would never set, and there was nothing in the world apart from that moment. Looking back, I think I was far too eager to throw that away as I got older. I didn't know how good I had it. Now I fear I'm far too cynical, and full of too many worries and anxieties to be able to recapture that unbridled bliss. I've lost that connection. But Unravel helped me remember it.

Now if you'll excuse me, I think I have something in my eye...
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Great post, mate, and I know exactly what you mean.
Beck

Post by Beck »

Jan - Titanfall 2 - What a game, I'm still cleaning up trophies. Add me if you want to do some multiplayer (PS4)
Jan - Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls - I played through this again with some friends and leveled up a new toons whilst getting through all the additional content. The Diablo 1 stuff is really cool.
Feb - Day of the Tentacle - I finally finished a point and click game. I ended up using a guide as doing it without was taking too long, it's a really good game.
Feb - Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 - The Naruto series is a guilty pleasure for me, I didn't enjoy the end of the Anime but feel obliged to finish the games because I've played all the others.
Feb - Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 - Finished all the DLC and got the Plat.
Feb - Fire Emblem Fates : Birthright - Finally finished this game after starting it last June, it's a good game but I found it dragged near the end. Whilst the Fire Emblem games are good fun, I am worried that they are not changing enough between iterations.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Beck wrote:Whilst the Fire Emblem games are good fun, I am worried that they are not changing enough between iterations.
I don't necessarily disagree... but may I ask which ones you've played? Because while Awakening and Fates are indeed fairly similar, it should be noted that Awakening was itself a departure from the traditional series formula in a lot of ways.
Beck

Post by Beck »

Ah, I've played Awakening and Birthright in quite quick succession so that might explain it. I would like to play conquest next but I think I'll wait 3-6 months to avoid fatigue.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Further worth mentioning is that the Birthright campaign was specifically modeled after Awakening while Conquest was (supposed to be) closer to the classic formula, thus probably reinforcing this deja-vu feeling of yours.
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

(Jan) Adr1ft - PS4.
(Jan) Dear Esther - PS4.
(Jan) Virginia - PS4. (platinum).
(Feb) Rain - PSN.
(Feb) Bayonetta 2 - WiiU.
(Feb) Sniper Elite 3 - PS4.