Games completed 2017

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Todinho

Re: Games completed 2017

Post by Todinho »

Tyranny(PC)- Abit disapointed not gonna lie, the premisse is great but the execution is not the best and while it makes a good first impression the game really starts to show it's problems as you start chapter 2, the game kinda follows a Witcher 2 kinda format in which you have to decide an alignment at the end which impacts the whole game but the problem is that at that point you're married to whatever faction you choose and you have no room to manuever at all,so for example if you is with faction and they say "Hey we want to do a genocide here" you cant go "Ops not doing that" or "I have another idea" nope, you have no flexibility of choice when aligned with a faction and the only way to do something different is by activelly betraying them and killing a bunch of their members.

Speaking of which I found that a problem in the game overall, too much of the games quests and story arcs boil down to kill all these people, and yeah that happens in most RPGs say Witcher 3 for example more then 90% of quests end up like that but that's not how CRPGs should work, Planescape Torment,Fallout,even New Vegas all give you a bunch of options to tackle a problem without having to resort to killing everything, sure you have some dialogue skills but they dont usually mean you can skip combat they usually just give you xp or are a quicker way to get through dialogue. This was really disapointing because to me the core gameplay loop of these games isnt combat it's the roleplay and the dialogue and it's seriously lacking here when you cant talk around it, out of all of the game I can only recall 1 boss fight I was able to avoid due to dialogue and even then it wasnt exactly what Im saying.

Another problem is that the game is pretty short, you're not likely to take over 30 hours to complete it and there's not much in the world other then quests that are pretty bland for the most part, so you dont get too attached to the world and it's struggles which kinda undercuts the whole point of the game. your companions are all pretty cool but once again they dont get fleshed out much once you exaust all their dialogue(that's available from the moment you recruit them) they dont get much development afterwards(other then 2 of them) which is unfortunate. Another problem is the combat which is really punishing and hard at the beginning,I mean even I was struggling on normal, but later on it gets super easy as you get magic, and I still love the magic system but it's overpowered, you dont have mana and the only thing that keeps you from using magic is cooldowns and lore skill and on top of that there's no friendly fire so you cast massive AoE's with reckeless abandon and not have to worry. Also another weird thing is that both of your "warrior class" companions cant equip armor so if you're not rolling as a tank yourself heavy armor is essentially worthless.

Overall I still liked it but it has a lot of problems and limitations, I think it's the textbook 7/10 game and I'd like see how they could improve upon it in a sequel I know I like the setting here way more then Pillars(despite that being a better game)so I think it has potential if they work on it.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

I've finally finished another game, Kona, a supernatural detective story set in 1970s Quebec. It immediately shuffles slowly into the #3 spot on the list of World's Best Walking Simulators*.

Plenty of atmosphere, with the supernatural stuff being countered by the mundane location and the sardonic humour of the protagonist. The story is nothing to write home about, but the detail of the locations, the sympathy for the characters, and the quality of the light detective work carry the game.

*my own list, of course. ;)
James

Post by James »

Walking simulator? Plenty of atmosphere? Sardonic humour? Light detective work? Named after a bicycle manufacturer? Sounds right up my street. ;-)

Will be checking this out, for sure. Thanks, Chopper. :-)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yes, count me interested too! Not even heard of it before.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

NB there are a couple of vehicles in the game but I noticed a trophy for completing it on foot after a certain point so I did it that way.
countstex

Post by countstex »

Just finished a playthrough of Event[0]. Some very interesting stuff going on in that game. Sort of game you take with you afterwards wondering what else was going on. There's more endings to find so I'll be back to it. If you like environmental exploration, with a dash of old school text adventure (not a boring as that sounds!) then do give it a try, especially if you enjoyed the likes of Gone Home, Dear Ester or Everybody's GTT Rapture.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Yeah FFXV is still a really good game in my book. :D
https://twitter.com/thetoodinho/status/ ... 97/photo/1
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

FATED: The Silent Oath (PSVR)

I've got the loan of a PlayStation VR and have been trying out loads of demos etc. It really is amazing, though much more successful at offering 'experiences' rather than games, so far.

Anyway, I had a free tenner on the ps store and decided to buy a full game with it. The experience was pretty disappointing. You're dropped into a story after some cataclysmic event which is not explained, asked to make decisions based on information you don't have, and we have a new contender for worst ever video game ending.

The vr-stuff highlights are a horse and cart chase, and a kind of first person Sen's Fortress, which were both decent. The game is about an hour or 90 mins long. Despite being pretty sedate, some mild motion sickness did set in.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Spoiler: show
05/01 - Forza Horizon 3: Blizzard Mountain
15/01 - Odin Sphere Leifthrasir
17/01 - The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
25/01 - The Unfinished Swan
29/01 - Folklore
31/01 - Doom (Hurt Me Plenty)
04/02 - Gravity Rush 2
26/02 - Unravel
14/03 - Nier: Automata (Ending A)
20/03 - Nier: Automata (Ending B)
21/03 - Gravity Rush 2: Raven's Choice
24/03 - Nier: Automata (Ending C)
25/03 - Nier: Automata (Ending D)
25/03 - Nier: Automata (Ending E)
22/04 - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Really fantastic experience overall. A really fresh and interesting take on the series, but it's not without some problems. A lot of the new things it tried worked out really well, but some other stuff I think were missteps.

The new non-linear "open air" structure they went for works really well. It definitely makes Hyrule feel like a place all of its own, and not just a backdrop for something else. It's got a great sense of openness and discovery with how there's always some new little thing to discover over the next hill, and it really makes you want to keep on looking too. The non-linear structure of the main quest gives you a sense of agency on how you approach things as well, which is appreciated. The whole game gives you loads of options about how to approach any situation really, which is really fun and allows for a lot of creativity. The shrines work really well with this structure in particular. It makes it so the game still has something of the puzzle feel of the previous games, but integrated them well in to the overworld, keeping you always exploring something new, and not getting bogged down in any one task too long. It also helps that the shrines themselves are really fun. Some neat clever puzzles, which also give you room to improvise if you're creative with it. The Rune tools you get are great, speaking of puzzles. Quite different to the usual Zelda style of things, very physics driven. They have a lot of utility outside of the shrines too, which is a lot of fun to experiment with.

The aesthetic is really great too. I'm not sure I'd say it's flawless though, as I think in certain spots it can look not so great. Like when you're surrounded a lot by rocky areas or something like that, it can look a bit drab. But I've been repeatedly blown away with how great it looks when you see a sunset over a grassy field or something like that. The sky always looks fantastic, and the way the light bounces off the grass as it gently blows in the wind is really something. The music too is brilliant, although I wish there was more of it. I guess it would get tiring hearing the same music over and over again in the overworld since you spend so much time in it, and it makes the music special when it does show up. But still, I think they could have still gotten that effect and used the music much more too. Like maybe have overworld music fade in and out every so often, instead of having almost none. I feel like the atmosphere of the game could be improved significantly with some more use of that soundtrack.

Which leads me on to some of the other problems with the game. I'll get the nitpicks out of the way first though. The rain for one thing. I didn't have too much of a problem with it at first, but as the game went on, it got on my nerves a lot more. There really is no purpose to it other than to inconvenience you. It's not interesting, and it's nothing but a negative to the experience. I also found that the controls of the game often felt kind of fiddly. Not as responsive as I would like. Felt like I messed up a lot of actions simply because the controls didn't do what I wanted them to. The camera is pretty slow, even on the highest speed setting, and the target lock-on sometimes just doesn't want to work when there's a dangerous enemy right by you, and pressing the button points you in the opposite direction when you're right next to it. I also found getting zapped by enemies and dropping weapons a huge pain too.

But the biggest thing I wanted to talk about it more a game design philosophy thing. It's not even really a problem in terms of gameplay, but it's something that has got me kind of worried for the future of the series. Its non-linear, even somewhat Ubisoft-like design. Usually anything involving that kind of design is enough to completely turn me off a game, but here it's actually done well. They've done some smart things to change the formula and get rid of the problems. Climbing towers is fun in itself, since it's kind of a puzzle on its own, and then once you do, it only gives you hints as to what to find next, instead of just giving you a laundry list of tedious stuff you've done a million times before. It makes the process of finding things to do interactive and fun in itself, and doesn't overwhelm you with bollocks. It also gets you to think in an interesting way when looking at the map. You're not just highlighting icons, you're scanning it to see if there are odd structures to check out, that usually ends up giving you a fun surprise when you do find it.

I also wasn't too fond of the way the dungeons were done in this game for a few reasons. Although, as I mentioned, the shrines themselves are fun and well designed, I don't really like how de-emphasised dungeons are as a whole in this game. Both the shrines and the Divine Beasts are all pretty short. It's especially disappointing with the Beasts, since they are some of the highlights of the game, yet they're over so quickly. While I can see why with the open-air structure, they don't want to make you spend hours on a single dungeon, it is a little disappointing that they're all over so quickly, and how they often feel kind of isolated. There's a lack of complexity they simply can't pull off by being so small and removed from everything else. One of the things that makes the Divine Beasts so good is how you can change their structure from the inside. But I feel like that could have a whole lot more potential if they were larger, giving you different ways of using these ideas that make them feel like cogs in a larger machine to puzzle out. Also there's the issue of their visual style. Everything looks the same. While it's not so much of a problem because of the open world nature of the game and how short each thing is, it is still somewhat disappointing. The visual theme of them is good though, but it does obviously show how much they're made up of copy-paste assets at the same time. More in the shines than the Beasts, but still. If they go with this structure again, I think they should make a number of different themes, and make whatever replaces the Beasts much more substantive.

But the one that has be worried the most is that it's derivative. Even if it does what it does really well, it's not original. Zelda is a series I always loved because it did its own thing. You could argue that particular thing was getting a bit tired, and while I wouldn't necessarily agree, things had to change at some point either way. Yet what they chose here is to follow others, instead of coming up with something new. They did that very well, but I can't help but feel something that makes Zelda "Zelda" was lost in the process, or has been put in danger at least. To me Zelda was never just "Nintendo's version of Assassin's Creed", and I would hate it to become that. I love it for what it is, and while that's still here for the most part, I'm kind of worried that this might be the first in a trend that only carries on going further away from what Zelda is. I think they could still bring back some of what was lost, and still keep this "open air" feel, but it's anyone's guess if that will actually happen.

And one last thing, which is kind of related, is the story and the way it's told. On a basic level it's okay. Same usual Zelda fare. But I think the memories and the non-linear structure kind of work against each other here. The game is clearly trying to tell a more involved story this time around, yet the pacing of when you get the story delivered to you, and even the order you get it, makes it feel like unorganised scraps. I also don't think the voice acting is particularly good. Especially for Zelda herself, and Mipha. They both have this annoying whimpering monotone voice, and that distracting stuck-up semi-English fantasy accent you hear in a lot of poorly done fantasy fare. And, as I was worried about as soon as it was clear this game had voice acting, having Link remain silent in this world where everyone has a voice now is rather awkward. It's strange just seeing him stand there while other characters talk to him while he makes zero expression at all, and no one acknowledges it. But it's not all bad. I think a couple of characters were really good. The two voiced Rito characters in particular, and Sidon, are all great. Have a lot of personality, and good voice work too. And despite not liking the majority of her performance, I did think a couple of Zelda's scenes were really good. The moments were she stops whimpering all the time and acts a bit more casual are actually really nice, and funny even, like when she's trying to get Link to eat a live frog "for science".

There's a few more things I could mention, but I'll sum up by saying overall it was a great time, despite my problems. The vast majority of the experience was of a wondrous and refreshing adventure, full of discovery and a sense of endless possibilities. Worth the wait, and a smart, fresh take on the series. The finale too was excellent. One that's worth turning the volume up for. But this is clearly a turning point for the franchise, and I'm somewhat concerned about where this means things will go next.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Glad to be of help.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

- 22 Apr: Ninja Gaiden Black on normal difficulty.

That was 1:30 in the morning, mind you. Would love to tell you about my experiences with the game, but I'll save that for the podcast episode.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Michiel K wrote: April 22nd, 2017, 11:09 pm Would love to tell you about my experiences with the game, but I'll save that for the podcast episode.
Can't wait! Btw, are you a regular part of the team now?

Edit: And I guess that means you didn't have the time to try out any of the higher difficulties? Shame...
Dante Fireseed

Post by Dante Fireseed »

February 18th - The Witness (PS4)
February 26th - Mirror's Edge Catalyst (PS4)
March 13th - Dishonored 2 (PS4)
April 5th - Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4)
April 14th - Abzu (PC)
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

Spoiler: show
02/01 - Hyper Light Drifter (PC)
014/01 - The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (DS)
15/01 - Owlboy (PC)
17/01 - Sid Meier's Civilization VI (PC)
04/02 - Resident Evil [Remake] (PC)
09/02 - They Breathe (PC)
11/02 - Resident Evil 2: Leon A (PS Vita)
17/02 - Resident Evil 2: Claire B (PS Vita)
23/03 - Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS4)
22/02 - Ninja Gaiden: Black (360 - Xbox Original)

Forgot to do this yesterday, haha! Thoughts on the upcoming issue.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Dante Fireseed wrote: April 23rd, 2017, 1:17 pm February 18th - The Witness (PS4)
February 26th - Mirror's Edge Catalyst (PS4)
March 13th - Dishonored 2 (PS4)
April 5th - Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4)
April 14th - Abzu (PC)
What did you think of Abzu? I did that one earlier this year, too. I'm assuming you played Journey? I thought it sat alongside that quite nicely, although wasn't quite as good.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Falling into the "technically completed, but still..." category: Muchi Muchi Pork! & Pink Sweets - Xbox 360.

After finally investing in a simple monitor stand (seriously, why didn't I buy this earlier?), I've been rotating my 360 shmup collection to Tate mode, and loving it. :P

Technically, completing Muchi Muchi Pork! & Pink Sweets simply requires constantly pressing start to continue, similar to simply putting more coins in an arcade machine, and anyone can just power through to the endings on both games. So in a way, it's complete, but finishing the game really isn't the point: it's all about score chasing.

This collection doesn't have the polish of other Cave games on the 360, but putting that aside both games are fun as hell. In Pink Sweets, if you don't fire your weapon, a meter at the bottom of the screen fills up, allowing a much more powerful attack. Of course, if you don't fire your weapon, the screen fills up with enemies and many, many bullets, so it allows for some interesting strategies.

Muchi Muchi Pork! has pigs. It also has a lard attack. Therefore, I conclude, it is awesome. :lol:

If you are put off by the eBay price for the 360 version (minimum $200 AUD and much further upwards), think of it this way: I have seen the official arcade PCB for Pink Sweets for @ $4000 AUD, so in a comparative way (and only in a comparative way) its kind of a bargain. Like, a rich persons bargain! :oops:
James

Post by James »

Alex79uk wrote: April 23rd, 2017, 8:11 pm What did you think of Abzu? I did that one earlier this year, too. I'm assuming you played Journey? I thought it sat alongside that quite nicely, although wasn't quite as good.
I'll pitch in with my thoughts on ABZU, if that's okay? I'd definitely echo your pairing it with Journey, and also agree that it didn't hit me quite as hard as that game did. But I really did adore ABZU. As someone who feels at home in the water, ABZU did appeal to me mechanically (even more than Journey); the movement and freedom in the water was exceptional, I thought.

ABZU easily made my top games of last year. It's a game I'll gladly dive into again in a year or two. :)
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

KSubzero1000 wrote: April 23rd, 2017, 7:05 am
Michiel K wrote: April 22nd, 2017, 11:09 pm Would love to tell you about my experiences with the game, but I'll save that for the podcast episode.
Can't wait! Btw, are you a regular part of the team now?

Edit: And I guess that means you didn't have the time to try out any of the higher difficulties? Shame...
Don't shame me, bro! I actually kept my promise to you and started a Hard mode playthrough right after I finished the game on Normal. I just regret that I didn't get as far as I wanted to on Hard (Chapter 4). Also messed around a bit with MIssion mode. I wanted to be able to say something about the higher difficulties at least, as our expert player couldn't make it for the recording.

I could see myself persisting with both, as I was having proper fun, were it not for all the other games on my desk I need to play. Will have to return to this one!

Nyeah, I've been inducted into the core CaR panel halfway through last year. Have yet to receive my hazing, though.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Joshihatsumitsu wrote: April 24th, 2017, 12:02 am Falling into the "technically completed, but still..." category: Muchi Muchi Pork! & Pink Sweets - Xbox 360.

After finally investing in a simple monitor stand (seriously, why didn't I buy this earlier?), I've been rotating my 360 shmup collection to Tate mode, and loving it. :P

Technically, completing Muchi Muchi Pork! & Pink Sweets simply requires constantly pressing start to continue, similar to simply putting more coins in an arcade machine, and anyone can just power through to the endings on both games. So in a way, it's complete, but finishing the game really isn't the point: it's all about score chasing.

This collection doesn't have the polish of other Cave games on the 360, but putting that aside both games are fun as hell. In Pink Sweets, if you don't fire your weapon, a meter at the bottom of the screen fills up, allowing a much more powerful attack. Of course, if you don't fire your weapon, the screen fills up with enemies and many, many bullets, so it allows for some interesting strategies.

Muchi Muchi Pork! has pigs. It also has a lard attack. Therefore, I conclude, it is awesome. :lol:

If you are put off by the eBay price for the 360 version (minimum $200 AUD and much further upwards), think of it this way: I have seen the official arcade PCB for Pink Sweets for @ $4000 AUD, so in a comparative way (and only in a comparative way) its kind of a bargain. Like, a rich persons bargain! :oops:
It's not a completion unless you don't have to press start to continue before seeing the credits, yeah. :) And that won't happen unless you dedicate your life to either one of the 2 games. I got that compilation when it was new and very affordable, though didn't it get a reprint?

Pink Sweets is great, like a 'modern day' reimagining of Summer Carnival '92 Recca, with its shield/bomb mechanic. The boss fights are my favourite part, as your shield can't block missiles, but you can shoot them with your regular shot. And since the bosses randomise their attack patterns you can't memorise and have to react according to what they're doing, constantly making decisions on whether to let your shield build up, evade or start shooting. The rank is brutal though, every time you drop a shield bomb, the game's difficulty goes up significantly.
Dante Fireseed

Post by Dante Fireseed »

I agree, Abzu was good, but not great. I have played both flower and journey, and I think that it doesn't quite match those games in terms of emotional impact, but it really was a joy to play. Having said that, I do feel that there was a bit of a missed opportunity not to do more with the mechanics of calling fish/interacting with objects, it would have been good to have to "use" certain fish to explore areas or solve puzzles in some way. I thought the game was mechanically too light, even by the standards of flower and journey.

The highlight for me was swimming into the fish ball, which really was incredible!