Games completed 2017

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Combine Hunter

Re: Games completed 2017

Post by Combine Hunter »

Spoiler: show
02/01 - Hyper Light Drifter (PC)
014/01 - The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (DS)
15/01 - Owlboy (PC)
17/01 - Sid Meier's Civilization VI (PC)
04/02 - Resident Evil [Remake] (PC)
09/02 - They Breathe (PC)
11/02 - Resident Evil 2: Leon A (PS Vita)
17/02 - Resident Evil 2: Claire B (PS Vita)
23/03 - Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS4)
22/02 - Ninja Gaiden: Black (360 - Xbox Original)
26/04 - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch)
29/05 - Nier: Automata - Ending A through E (PS4)
04/06 - The Witcher (PC)
22/06 - Viewtiful Joe (GC)
26/06 - What Remains of Edith Finch (PC)
04/07 - Life is Strange (PC)
17/08 - Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (PC)
30/08 - Shovel Knight: Spector of Torment (Switch)

Exceptional. Spectre Knight is among the best controlling characters in a platformer...like ever.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

02/01 - Hyper Light Drifter (PC)
014/01 - The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (DS)
15/01 - Owlboy (PC)
17/01 - Sid Meier's Civilization VI (PC)
04/02 - Resident Evil [Remake] (PC)
09/02 - They Breathe (PC)
11/02 - Resident Evil 2: Leon A (PS Vita)
17/02 - Resident Evil 2: Claire B (PS Vita)
23/03 - Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS4)
22/02 - Ninja Gaiden: Black (360 - Xbox Original)
26/04 - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch)
29/05 - Nier: Automata - Ending A through E (PS4)
04/06 - The Witcher (PC)
22/06 - Viewtiful Joe (GC)
26/06 - What Remains of Edith Finch (PC)
04/07 - Life is Strange (PC)
17/08 - Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (PC)
30/08 - Shovel Knight: Spector of Torment (Switch)
30/08 - Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (PS4)

My favourite Uncharted since Uncharted 2.
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

(Jan) Quantum Break - XB1.
(Jan) Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag - PS4.
(Jan) Adr1ft - PS4.
(Jan) Dear Esther - PS4.
(Jan) Virginia - PS4. (platinum).
(Jan) The London Heist - PSVR
(Feb) Flashback(2013) - PSN.
(Feb) Rain - PSN.
(Feb) Lara Croft & The Guardian of Light - PSN.
(Feb) Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II - PS3.
(Feb) Far Cry Primal - PS4.
(Feb) Bayonetta 2 - WiiU.
(Feb) Sniper Elite 3 - PS4.
(Mar) Life is Strange - PS4.
(Mar) Nier Automata - PS4.
(Mar) Halo 2:Anniversary - XB1.
(Mar) Guns, Gore & Canoli - PS4.
(Apr) Alien Breed Ep.3:Descent - Xbox 360.
(Apr) Horizon Zero Dawn - PS4.
(May) Battleborn - PS4.
(May) Diablo 3:RoS - PS4.
(May) Deadpool - PS4.
(May) The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing - PS4.
(June) Killing Floor 2 - PS4.
(June) Mirror's Edge: Catalyst - PS4.
(June) Mass Effect:Andromeda - PS4.
(June) Nex Machina - PS4.
(July) Rise of the Tomb Raider - PS4.
(Aug) Zombi - PS4.
(Aug) Injustice:Gods Among Us -PS4.
(Aug) Shadow Warrior 2 - PS4.
(Aug) Valiant Hearts - PS4.
(Aug) Uncharted:The Lost Legacy - PS4.
(Aug) Lara Croft & The Temple of Osiris - PS4.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

19 Jan: Contra (arcade on PS4)
19 Jan: Contra (arcade on 360)
19 Jan: Super Contra (arcade on 360)
19 Jan: Street Fighter III: Third Strike Online Edition (360)
07 Feb: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii on Wii U)
01 Mar: The Little Acre (PC)
12 Mar: Chibi-Robo! (GC)
26 Mar: Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS4)
09 Apr: Gone Home: Console Edition (PS4)
16 Jun: The Witcher: Enhanced Edition (PC)
18 Jun: Nex Machina (PS4)
12 Jul: Puyo Puyo Tetris (NS)
29 Jul: FIFA 17: The Journey (XO)
01 Aug: Life Is Strange (PS4)
03 Aug: What Remains of Edith Finch (PS4)
13 Aug: The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings - Enhanced Edition (PC)
22 Aug: Double Dragon Neon (PS3)
23 Aug: Double Dragon II: Wander of the Dragons (360)
24 Aug: Double Dragon IV (PS4)
27 Aug: Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection: Mortal Kombat (360)
31 Aug: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (NS)
Gold trophies on all cups and classes (60 total) - Gold Mario and new title screen unlocked!
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

5th January - Arkham Origins (Wii U)
12th January - The End of the World (Android)
18th January - Rayman Legends (Wii U)
31st January - Light House (Android)
1st February - Where shadows slumber (Android)
9th February - Pikmin 3 - Story mode (Wii U)
19th February - New Super Mario Bros. U (Wii U)
7th April - Deus Ex Go (Android)
19th June - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
20th June - Yellow (Android)
9th July - ARMS (Switch)
14th July - Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (Wii U)
20th July - Bulb Boy (Switch)
16th August - Shovel Knight (Switch)
29th August - Sonic Mania (Switch)

31st August - Splatoon 2 (Switch)

Completed Splatoon 2 single player last night. Kept dying on the final boss until it eventually said, 'you do know you can upgrade your weapons, don't you?'. Then did it more or less first time. That bit of knowledge would have made that last world IMMENSELY easier.

Fun campaign, though not as endearing as the original's in my book. Felt like it was plain reskinned or a bit tricksy compared to what I recall of the first. The Splatoon bosses felt like long lost Mario Galaxy levels to me. Enjoyed finding the scrolls and Containium though; they were properly head scratching.

Lots of replay value in theory given you can tackle the levels with various weapons but doesn't seem to be any incentive to do so, given the upgrades you get remain locked in this mode.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

18th January Infinite Warfare Xbox One

Easily my favourite Call Of Duty Campaign I've played (FYI I have not played Black OPs 2 or 3). Great fun for a franchise that isn't usually my cup of tea.

23rd Jan

The Walking Dead Season 3 Episode 2

Brilliant however I do feel that my decisions are based on my previous experiences with Clem which are not relevant here. If you've played it you'll know what I mean. But it is fantastic.

The Bunker

Probably the worst game I have played this gen. Awful, awful game. I can only best describe it as a videogame made by people who have never played videogames. Everything about it was bad. Infuriating controls, instafail sections that were pure luck that you passed. I wouldn't even recommend downloading it when it appears on PS+ or Games With Gold.

Would be a great Cane And Rinse Episode though :)

Resident Evil 7 Playstation 4

Really enjoy it and would recommend

17th Feb Doom Xbox One

Solid 8/10 for me. It outstayed its welcome but was fun none the less

Bioshock Remastered PS4

Glad I've finally ticked this off my pile of shame after all these years. The last boss reminded me of Metroid Primes final boss for some reason. Looking forward to listening to the show now.

March 3Rd

Batman Arkham VR

Very good, just wish there was more of it!

Rez Infinite PSVR

Acts 1-4 were amazing but I thought 5 was a bit of a let down. I obviously miss the point of it somehow

Area X is absolutely amazing though and apart from a bit in Arkham my highlight of PSVR so far. Would love a game based on Area X

The Walking Dead The New Frontier Season 3 Episode 3.

Quite disappointed in this episode I have to say. There was great momentum, cast and story built up in the two episodes previous and an excellent cliff hanger which fizzles out in episode 3. I was most annoyed about a character becoming pissed off with me when I killed someone instead of letting them turn

The Walking Dead Season 3 Episode 4

Telltale have lost the plot this series. Some of the choices in this episode are absolutely ridiculous, I actually let one run out as I didn't feel able to make it leading to a game over screen. I'm happy to be proved wrong but I'm pretty sure they've never tied that to a major decision before?, mind you I have always never shied from making any decisions. Clementine might as well not be there and one scene with her left me scratching my head as the way she acts in that is something that ''my'' Clementine would never even think about let alone want to do what is discussed.

What Remains Of Edith Finch

An interesting "game", I enjoyed it in parts but also had a few questions left at the end of it. I think I'd better play Gone Home now for some kind of comparison.

Gone Home

It was alright, I've preferred What Remains Of Edith Finch and Virginia to be honest. I'll download the show now.

Injustice 2 PS4

Jolly good fun. I enjoyed the story in 1 more but that doesn't mean I'm saying this has a bad story. Combat is better than 1, looking forward to seeing what the extra stuff involves and deciding who to use online.

May 30th The Walking Dead Season 3 Episode 5

Dreadful end to a really, really disappointing season. I have no idea what Telltale were thinking during this season it has been all over the place. The first two episodes they released back to back were excellent but it just goes to pieces in episode 3. Real shame as there were some good characters in there. I would not recommend unless cheap and I'm a huge fan of season 1 and 2. There will be a season 4 and I won't be rushing to pick this up like I have every season so far.

There was no point Clem being in it at all being brutally honest. Her story ark doesn't even get resolved. Annoyed! :lol:

August 1st Horizon Zero Dawn.

My game of the year so far. Not played anything else really since picking it up. Amazing. Looking forward to the DLC now.

AUGUST 11TH UNTIL DAWN

Great fun. I replayed the final chapter again to get the ''best'' ending I'll pop more details in the thread. Recommend

August 18th Telltale Batman Season Two Episode One

Carrying on from an excellent season one, this wasn't brilliant it was just good. They've set up several plot points going ahead. One of the main changes is the relationships with characters. Through your actions as Bruce/Batman your relationship will strengthen/weaken leading to different things happening. Need episode 2 now please

Oxenfree 24th August

There's a good game and an interesting story in there somewhere but it takes far too long to get there. Would be an interesting C&R show. I wouldn't recommend it, I was thoroughly confused at the end as I must've missed some of the story. So the ghosts were submarine crew killed by friendly fire?, still not sure even now if someone can confirm that is right that would be great. It would make a great Netflix series

I somehow ended up saving everyone. Nona got with Ren and Clarissa was with the now alive Michael and Jonas had now just ''moved'' to town with his Dad. No idea how I managed that. I basically told the ghosts to stop being pricks and everyone was saved. Very close to letting them have Clarissa though

August 25th. Two Telltale Episodes

Tales from the Borderlands Episode 3

Still funny

Guardians Of The Galaxy Episode 1

Nails the vibe of the film well and the voice acting is good as I was worried it would be a bit jarring it not being the same as the film. Interested to see where this goes.

August 28th Firewatch.

Would recommend, right amount of length I would've liked You given the option of talking to Ned to get him to come with you at the end and he would've chosen depending on how you have acted through the game
August 31st. Life Is Strange Before The Storm. Episode One.

Quite a slow paced episode and good references to LIS. Good start. If you're a fan of LIS you've probably already got it.
AndrewBrown

Post by AndrewBrown »

AndrewBrown wrote: July 31st, 2017, 6:16 pm 05/01: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture [PS4]
13/01: The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks [WiiUVC]
17/01: The Order: 1886 [PS4]
28/01: Undertale [PC]
29/01: Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles [Wii]
15/02: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword [Wii]
18/02: Battleborn [PS4]
08/03: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild [Switch]
12/03: Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove [Switch]
13/03: Fast RMX [Switch]
17/03: Blaster Master Zero [Switch]
14/04: Snake Pass [Switch]
19/04: Injustice: Gods Among Us [360]
04/05: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe [Switch]
17/05: NBA Playgrounds [Switch]
17/05: Injustice 2 [PS4]
29/05: Thumper [Switch]
01/06: Resident Evil (2002) Jill Campaign [PS4]
06/06: Resident Evil (2002) Chris Campaign [PS4]
11/06: Shantae: Half-Genie Hero [Switch]
17/06: Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition [PS4]
25/06: Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20 Year Anniversary [PS4]
06/07: Cave Story+ [Switch]
18/07: Oceanhorn: Monster of Uncharted Seas [Switch]
22/07: Splatoon 2 [Switch]
29/07: Overcooked Special Edition [Switch]
04/08: Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call [3DS]
08/08: Dying Light [PS4]
11/08: Pokémon Moon [3DS]
18/08: Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution 2 Plus [Vita]
21/08: The Evil Within [PS4]
24/08: Uncharted: The Lost Legacy [PS4]
27/08: Observer [PSN]

Best month ever, more like these please!
James

Post by James »

06/01 - Titanfall 2 (Xbox One)
08/01 - The Binding Of Isaac: Afterbirth+ (Steam)
09/01 - Sorcery!: The Shamutanti Hills (Android)
15/01 - Donkey Kong Jr. (3DS)
15/01 - Mario Kart: Super Circuit (3DS)
15/01 - Warioware, Inc: Mega Microgame$! (3DS)
16/01 - Donkey Kong (3DS)
27/01 - Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike - Online Edition (PS3)
10/02 - They Breathe (Steam)
10/02 - Undertale (Steam)
28/02 - Nioh (PS4)
20/03 - The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild (Switch)
06/04 - Fast RMX (Switch)
09/04 - Graceful Explosion Machine (Switch)
17/04 - Mr. Shifty (Switch)
01/05 - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Switch)
22/05 - Injustice 2 (PS4) (Story Mode)
25/05 - Double Dragon (PS4)
25/05 - Double Dragon II: The Revenge (PS4)
26/05 - Double Dragon 3: The Rosetta Stone (MAME/RetroPie)
26/05 - Super Double Dragon (MAME/RetroPie)
29/05 - Injustice: Gods Among Us (Steam) (Story Mode)
20/06 - Yellow (Android)
22/06 - Double Dragon Advance (MAME/RetroPie)
27/07 - Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3 (PS4)
01/08 - Splatoon 2 (Switch)
02/08 - Tacoma (Xbox One)
31/08 - Double Dragon Neon (Xbox One b/c)
31/08 - Double Dragon IV (PS4)

Thoughts on the podcast, of course, but one of these I really enjoyed, and the other I endured. Nice, though, to see two different takes on what Double Dragon can be, a few decades after the series began. :D
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Horizon Zero Dawn

It was ok. Very pleasant to play. Environments were lovely to just walk around in. The script was a bit wooden and I found myself longing for Bethesda-type conversation menus (yes, that is probably a first). Combat, the meat of the game, was entertaining enough. The only big time-sink game I have left on my hard drive now is Deus Ex MK, which I'm happy about (I prefer shorter games).
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

18th January Infinite Warfare Xbox One

Easily my favourite Call Of Duty Campaign I've played (FYI I have not played Black OPs 2 or 3). Great fun for a franchise that isn't usually my cup of tea.

23rd Jan

The Walking Dead Season 3 Episode 2

Brilliant however I do feel that my decisions are based on my previous experiences with Clem which are not relevant here. If you've played it you'll know what I mean. But it is fantastic.

The Bunker

Probably the worst game I have played this gen. Awful, awful game. I can only best describe it as a videogame made by people who have never played videogames. Everything about it was bad. Infuriating controls, instafail sections that were pure luck that you passed. I wouldn't even recommend downloading it when it appears on PS+ or Games With Gold.

Would be a great Cane And Rinse Episode though :)

Resident Evil 7 Playstation 4

Really enjoy it and would recommend

17th Feb Doom Xbox One

Solid 8/10 for me. It outstayed its welcome but was fun none the less

Bioshock Remastered PS4

Glad I've finally ticked this off my pile of shame after all these years. The last boss reminded me of Metroid Primes final boss for some reason. Looking forward to listening to the show now.

March 3Rd

Batman Arkham VR

Very good, just wish there was more of it!

Rez Infinite PSVR

Acts 1-4 were amazing but I thought 5 was a bit of a let down. I obviously miss the point of it somehow

Area X is absolutely amazing though and apart from a bit in Arkham my highlight of PSVR so far. Would love a game based on Area X

The Walking Dead The New Frontier Season 3 Episode 3.

Quite disappointed in this episode I have to say. There was great momentum, cast and story built up in the two episodes previous and an excellent cliff hanger which fizzles out in episode 3. I was most annoyed about a character becoming pissed off with me when I killed someone instead of letting them turn

The Walking Dead Season 3 Episode 4

Telltale have lost the plot this series. Some of the choices in this episode are absolutely ridiculous, I actually let one run out as I didn't feel able to make it leading to a game over screen. I'm happy to be proved wrong but I'm pretty sure they've never tied that to a major decision before?, mind you I have always never shied from making any decisions. Clementine might as well not be there and one scene with her left me scratching my head as the way she acts in that is something that ''my'' Clementine would never even think about let alone want to do what is discussed.

What Remains Of Edith Finch

An interesting "game", I enjoyed it in parts but also had a few questions left at the end of it. I think I'd better play Gone Home now for some kind of comparison.

Gone Home

It was alright, I've preferred What Remains Of Edith Finch and Virginia to be honest. I'll download the show now.

Injustice 2 PS4

Jolly good fun. I enjoyed the story in 1 more but that doesn't mean I'm saying this has a bad story. Combat is better than 1, looking forward to seeing what the extra stuff involves and deciding who to use online.

May 30th The Walking Dead Season 3 Episode 5

Dreadful end to a really, really disappointing season. I have no idea what Telltale were thinking during this season it has been all over the place. The first two episodes they released back to back were excellent but it just goes to pieces in episode 3. Real shame as there were some good characters in there. I would not recommend unless cheap and I'm a huge fan of season 1 and 2. There will be a season 4 and I won't be rushing to pick this up like I have every season so far.

There was no point Clem being in it at all being brutally honest. Her story ark doesn't even get resolved. Annoyed! :lol:

August 1st Horizon Zero Dawn.

My game of the year so far. Not played anything else really since picking it up. Amazing. Looking forward to the DLC now.

AUGUST 11TH UNTIL DAWN

Great fun. I replayed the final chapter again to get the ''best'' ending I'll pop more details in the thread. Recommend

August 18th Telltale Batman Season Two Episode One

Carrying on from an excellent season one, this wasn't brilliant it was just good. They've set up several plot points going ahead. One of the main changes is the relationships with characters. Through your actions as Bruce/Batman your relationship will strengthen/weaken leading to different things happening. Need episode 2 now please

Oxenfree 24th August

There's a good game and an interesting story in there somewhere but it takes far too long to get there. Would be an interesting C&R show. I wouldn't recommend it, I was thoroughly confused at the end as I must've missed some of the story. So the ghosts were submarine crew killed by friendly fire?, still not sure even now if someone can confirm that is right that would be great. It would make a great Netflix series

I somehow ended up saving everyone. Nona got with Ren and Clarissa was with the now alive Michael and Jonas had now just ''moved'' to town with his Dad. No idea how I managed that. I basically told the ghosts to stop being pricks and everyone was saved. Very close to letting them have Clarissa though

August 25th. Two Telltale Episodes

Tales from the Borderlands Episode 3

Still funny

Guardians Of The Galaxy Episode 1

Nails the vibe of the film well and the voice acting is good as I was worried it would be a bit jarring it not being the same as the film. Interested to see where this goes.

August 28th Firewatch.

Would recommend, right amount of length I would've liked You given the option of talking to Ned to get him to come with you at the end and he would've chosen depending on how you have acted through the game

August 31st. Life Is Strange Before The Storm. Episode One.

Quite a slow paced episode and good references to LIS. Good start. If you're a fan of LIS you've probably already got it.
September 1st. Windjammers Arcade Mode 1 credit

What an absolute classic this game is, plays as well as it did in the arcades. Won my first online match too!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

02 Sep: Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection: Mortal Kombat II (360)
Kintaro can fuck right off.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

ratsoalbion wrote: September 3rd, 2017, 12:35 am
02 Sep: Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection: Mortal Kombat II (360)
Kintaro can fuck right off.
Know that pain oh so well :)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Certainly brought it all flooding back.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

>OBSERVER_

(to give it its full name)

I was gurning and moaning my way through Observer, which is the dystopian-Krakow-2084 game where Rutger Hauer is a detective who mindjacks murder victims to try and determine their killer. It was pretty decent, the strong points being the dystopian vision, but the mindjack bits were a bit pants, being your typical corridor-horror stuff.

Then halfway through I walked into a room which had a Layers of Fear poster, and the penny dropped. And disappointingly, so did the quality of gameplay. The rest of it was entirely corridor-based drudgery (doors locking behind you, floor and ceiling flipped, lights flickering, children/women laughing/crying etc). It was a poor second half of a promising game.

The detective bits weren't faultless (a bit too much pixel hunting) but were ok, and the setting was great (a tenement building in a poor area of town). Bit odd that all the tenants had US accents (east coast, southern , the works). Rutger Hauer was decent. It was a real struggle to finish though.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Jan - Guilty Gear Xrd: Revelator
Jan - Mad Max
Jan - Streets of Rage 2
Jan - Guardian Heroes
Jan - Xcom 2 (+dlc)
Jan - Titanfall 2 (+online G6)
Jan - Shining Force
Jan - Street Fighter III: 2nd Impact
Jan - Street Fighter III: Third Strike Online
Jan - Mr Driller (2500ft)
Feb - Earthworm Jim Special Edition
Feb - Baku Baku
Feb - Day of the Tentacle Remastered
Feb - Resident Evil 7
Feb - Fire Emblem Heroes
Feb - The Last Guardian
Feb - Mercs
Feb - Doom
Feb - Wild Guns
Mar - Devils Third
Mar - The Wonderful 101
Mar - Nier: Automata (platinum)
Apr - Nier
May - Odin Sphere Leifthrasir (platinum)
May - Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
May - 1943: The Battle of Midway
May - Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown
May - Soul Calibur
May - Super Hang-On
May - Alex Kidd in Miracle World
May - Magic Sword
May - Soul Calibur 2 HD Online (arcade and main weapon master quest)
Jun - Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition
Jun - Under Night In-Birth EXE: Late
Jul - Yakuza 0
Jul - R-Type Dimensions
Jul - State of Decay: Year-One
Jul - Garou: Mark of the Wolves
Jul - Gears of War 4
Jul - Guwange (multiple modes, all three characters)
Jul - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
Jul - Guilty Gear Xrd -Sign-
Aug - Shining Force 2
Aug - Forza Horizon 3
Aug - BlazBlue: Central Fiction
Aug - Final Fantasy XV
Aug - Zombi
Aug - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition
Aug - Final Fantasy Type-0 HD (platinum)
Aug - Puyo Puyo Tetris
Aug - Root Letter (platinum)
Sep - Dishonored 2
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Torment Tides of Numenera(PC)-
In the end my greatest fear became true Tides of Numenera is essentially a remake of Planescape Torment, it's the Force Awakens to Planescape's New hope, which isnt entirelly bad much like Force Awakens Numenera is a servicible game that both homages and captures some of the magic of the original but like force awakens it never really shakes the feeling of been there done that but in this case it's worse because it copies the plot and themes of Planescape much more closelly. The original dealt with heavy themes like the point of existence and identity and did so masterfully by utilizing the RPG format, this game tries to do the same but it's less successfull because it tries to copy the original so closelly so you just end up with a lesser version of what you had before, the ending of Planescape was this grand moment that I put as one of the best endings to well any story I've witnessed but the ending of this game it ends almost abruptly and then credits, without getting into spoilers the different in main character is really important I think as to why the original worked so much better, you played as a set character the Nameless one who had amnesia and is trying to understand who he was while here you're just another castoff try to understand someone else's memories, cant go into more detail without spoiling things but that's a big difference.

Now just because it doesnt reach the level of Planescape It doesnt mean it's bad, in fact im confident in saying that out of all the CRPGs that came out since the "revival" with Kickstarter this is by far the best written one and honestly it's the best written game I played all year because while the main story lags behind torment it's still thought provoking and interesting but more important everything outside the main story is really interesting, one moment you're dealing with a robot with a mid-life crisis because it cant have children, another you're tackling an interdimensinal hivemind that is trying to eat your universe and sometimes your helping solve a mystery of a ghost woman whose personality is slowly taking over the body of all women in the city. The world is just filled with really creative and out there stories for you to find and enjoy it's a world where countless civilizations have risen and fallen, where magic and science are the same a place that feels like has been decaying for millenia but that still awes(in fact something constantly on the back of my head while playing this was how cool would it be to have a soulsgame set in this type of setting). Also much like the original game combat is very much a choice you can avoid every combat encounter if you want and come up with different solutions and the combat itself is servicible it's not amazing and it has a big problem that because you use might,speed and intelect points on many things other then combat if you're caught unprepared combat can turn into a slog or a bloodbath as you cant improve your dice rolls. Two gameplay aspects outside of combat and dialogue that I really liked though were the merecasters, where you jump into someone elses memories in a choose your own adventure book format and try to change the past, those were really fun and interesting also you have a sort of hub world inside your mind that you can access when you die and as the game goes on it expands, I really liked that but I thought it was underplayed I wish they'd used it more.

Despite my disapointment with the main story I still really enjoyed my time with the game especially in exploring the world and talking to it's characters which is the most important thing in this type of RPG and even though It's main story isnt on the level of it's predecessor It's without a doubt one of the best narratives out of videogames this year and I'd really recommend it for people that want to get into this type of game, that like RPGs more for the roleplaying aspect rather then combat especially since this isnt a very long game at all especially for an RPG I took less then 30 hours to finnish it and I wasnt speeding through it or skimming through text I was taking my time exploring it so it's not that much of a time sink.
James

Post by James »

06/01 - Titanfall 2 (Xbox One)
08/01 - The Binding Of Isaac: Afterbirth+ (Steam)
09/01 - Sorcery!: The Shamutanti Hills (Android)
15/01 - Donkey Kong Jr. (3DS)
15/01 - Mario Kart: Super Circuit (3DS)
15/01 - Warioware, Inc: Mega Microgame$! (3DS)
16/01 - Donkey Kong (3DS)
27/01 - Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike - Online Edition (PS3)
10/02 - They Breathe (Steam)
10/02 - Undertale (Steam)
28/02 - Nioh (PS4)
20/03 - The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild (Switch)
06/04 - Fast RMX (Switch)
09/04 - Graceful Explosion Machine (Switch)
17/04 - Mr. Shifty (Switch)
01/05 - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Switch)
22/05 - Injustice 2 (PS4) (Story Mode)
25/05 - Double Dragon (PS4)
25/05 - Double Dragon II: The Revenge (PS4)
26/05 - Double Dragon 3: The Rosetta Stone (MAME/RetroPie)
26/05 - Super Double Dragon (MAME/RetroPie)
29/05 - Injustice: Gods Among Us (Steam) (Story Mode)
20/06 - Yellow (Android)
22/06 - Double Dragon Advance (MAME/RetroPie)
27/07 - Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3 (PS4)
01/08 - Splatoon 2 (Switch)
02/08 - Tacoma (Xbox One)
31/08 - Double Dragon Neon (Xbox One b/c)
31/08 - Double Dragon IV (PS4)
06/09 - Prey (PS4)

Enjoyed the socks off that. I can't fathom 16hr completion average on HowLongToBeat.com. Those playthroughs must've looked something like the last half-hour of my game. But how much missed?!

The combat never truly flourished for me, though it did improve as I upgraded. I do entirely understand the first few hours putting people off though. The pace (and pacing) of this game is something I'll be mulling over for some time to come.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

I reckon the Venn Diagram showing 'How Long to Beat gamers' and 'People who like to Mooch about in their games' just resembles a figure eight.

Glad Prey was enjoyable. The demo sunk it for me as I couldn't get on board with a) smashing everything looking for mimics or b) letting the mimic attack you first and then dealing with it. Both approaches being undermined by the terrible, terrible weapons (wrench and gloo gun). Just hassle.
James

Post by James »

Yeah, I can't deny that that bothered me too. Naturally, there are other options (and quite quickly too), but Mimics were frustrating to fight in ways similar to the Spider Splicers in BioShock. Sadly, they're also much more common.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

The Bunker (PS4)

I enjoyed it! Loved the Eighties feel and thought they nailed the setting and the main character. I thought it held up well, story-wise.
It went a wee bit downhill after the Air Filtration - I fear for poor Sam in his brave new world, he does not exude competence.
Obviously I am not to be trusted on these things :D