Games completed 2017

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Joshihatsumitsu

Re: Games completed 2017

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

I will second, third and fourth that Keith David is the man. That's just scientifically accurate.

Two words: They Live!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Yeah, I think the Halo story after the first game is overall pretty pants, but The Arbiter sounded COOL.
James

Post by James »

Todinho wrote: November 27th, 2017, 9:27 pm From what you've played do you like Dishonored 2 or Prey better?
I know they're pretty similar, or are both under the 'Immersive Sim' banner at least, but they are wildly different types of game to me. Prey is BioShock to Dishonored's... Thief, I guess. Personally, I like the stealth of Dishonored and the story of Prey. If I had to choose one over the other, I'd say I had to grow to like Dishonored over three games, but Prey struck me right away.

To clarify the difference, I see Prey as a sci-fi horror first, due to its setting/story. Whereas Dishonored (2) will always be a stealth game first, because the setting/story don't grab me as much as the mechanics.

Hope that helps. ;)
James

Post by James »

Alex79uk wrote: November 27th, 2017, 9:27 pm Really looking forward to playing that at some point. Did you enjoy Gone Home, James? I've had mixed luck with those story based exploration games. Loved Gone Home and Rapture, didn't like Firewatch and left Dear Esther barely played (although I do need to restart and play that to completion when I get round to it).

EDIT: I am here and now coining the phrase, SBEEUPs (story based explore 'em ups). Watch it gradually creep in to everyday use. You heard it here first.
'Digital environmental theatre' is a term I quite like. Coined, I believe, on the Gamers With Jobs podcast. I liked Firewatch, but I loved Gone Home, Rapture, and Dear Esther. What Remains... falls firmly in the latter category, for me. If I was to cheaply sum it up by comparison alone, it'd be 'Gone Home meets Everybody's Gone To The Rapture'. Hopefully that holds true when you come to play it, and doesn't oversell the game. :mrgreen:

I must admit, if I was a part of the Firewatch discussion thread, I've completely forgotten what was said, Flabyo. I will head over there for a look now.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Just re-read the Firewatch thread, very enjoyable. What a great game :D

It's funny how differently people react to these games that have a lot in common*. Two biggies that I can see are:

Traversal - if you're locked into a path (Esther), walking too slowly (Rapture), blocked by what looks like a traversable small twig or ledge (Firewatch), or your expectations for movement are frustrated in some way, you become less willing to engage.

Suspension of disbelief - this is no doubt different for everybody and maybe you could say it could be split along genre lines like any story. But with games it's not just the quality of the writing - a lot of other 'gaming' stuff has to be right too in order not to frustrate or turn off the player. There is so much that these games have to get right, it's such a fine balancing act.

*FWIW my sliding scale of best to worst goes: Firewatch, Edith Finch, Gone Home, Esther, Rapture ;)
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Be interesting to note if there’s a US / UK divide when it comes to preferring Firewatch or Rapture. They’re both quite heavily rooted in the culture of the countries they’re set in which might affect how easy you slip into that willing suspension of disbelief.

I’ve read for example that one problem that the devs had with Rapture was that Sony in the US were unfamiliar with things like stiles, so weren’t as easily able to navigate the space until they were explained to them.

With Firewatch, the idea that you can be that far away from another human being is pretty tough for a Brit to truly understand, our country isn’t big enough for that and even our most empty spaces like the highlands of Scotland or the Yorkshire moors are dwarfed by the US national parks.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

James wrote: November 27th, 2017, 11:32 pm
Todinho wrote: November 27th, 2017, 9:27 pm From what you've played do you like Dishonored 2 or Prey better?
I know they're pretty similar, or are both under the 'Immersive Sim' banner at least, but they are wildly different types of game to me. Prey is BioShock to Dishonored's... Thief, I guess. Personally, I like the stealth of Dishonored and the story of Prey. If I had to choose one over the other, I'd say I had to grow to like Dishonored over three games, but Prey struck me right away.

To clarify the difference, I see Prey as a sci-fi horror first, due to its setting/story. Whereas Dishonored (2) will always be a stealth game first, because the setting/story don't grab me as much as the mechanics.

Hope that helps. ;)

Yep very helpfull :D
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I really liked the isolation aspect of Firewatch. What really irritated me in that game was not being able to step over a twig which the game had deemed impassable and the massive long backtracking treks you were constantly forced on. The genius of Gone Home, for me, was how tight it was, how no nook or cranny of any room in that house was left not worth investigating. Plus the stories were leagues apart in my opinion. Gone Home had layer upon layer to peel away and dig down in to, whereas Firewatch just led the player on an incredible anticlimactic wild goose chase. In my opinion, of course. Certainly not meaning to be disparaging to anyone who preferred one game or the other.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

The isolation/big country aspect is an interesting thought for sure - and that is fantastic about the stiles.

I did live in the US for a while but grew up in northwest Ireland, where our media diet was 90% English stuff, from Ladybird books to Roy of the Rovers to Tomorrow's World to News at Ten (we had our own news at 9 :) ).

As such, Rapture was like putting on an old coat, the setting was really familiar. Not to go over old stuff but there wasn't enough in the story or events for me. Beautiful countryside that you had no meaningful interaction with, the stories you encountered did not involve you personally, and were very mundane etc.

I do love the US National Parks all the same, and the scale of the country is almost incomprehensible to someone from these isles.
James

Post by James »

Spoiler: show
06/01 - Titanfall 2 (Xbox One)
08/01 - The Binding Of Isaac: Afterbirth+ (PC)
09/01 - Sorcery!: The Shamutanti Hills (Android)
15/01 - Donkey Kong Jr. (3DS)
15/01 - Mario Kart: Super Circuit (3DS)
15/01 - Warioware, Inc: Mega Microgame$! (3DS)
16/01 - Donkey Kong (3DS)
27/01 - Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike - Online Edition (PS3)
10/02 - They Breathe (PC)
10/02 - Undertale (PC)
28/02 - Nioh (PS4)
20/03 - The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild (Switch)
06/04 - Fast RMX (Switch)
09/04 - Graceful Explosion Machine (Switch)
17/04 - Mr. Shifty (Switch)
01/05 - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Switch)
22/05 - Injustice 2 (PS4) (Story Mode)
25/05 - Double Dragon (PS4)
25/05 - Double Dragon II: The Revenge (PS4)
26/05 - Double Dragon 3: The Rosetta Stone (MAME/RetroPie)
26/05 - Super Double Dragon (MAME/RetroPie)
29/05 - Injustice: Gods Among Us (PC) (Story Mode)
20/06 - Yellow (Android)
22/06 - Double Dragon Advance (MAME/RetroPie)
26/06 - Injustice 2 (PS4) (All story + Battle Simulator endings)
27/07 - Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3 (PS4)
01/08 - Splatoon 2 (Switch)
02/08 - Tacoma (Xbox One)
31/08 - Double Dragon Neon (Xbox One)
31/08 - Double Dragon IV (PS4)
06/09 - Prey (PS4)
12/09 - The Binding Of Isaac: Afterbirth+ (Switch)
13/09 - Destiny 2 (PS4)
14/09 - Blade Runner (1997, PC)
18/09 - The Room (Android)
20/09 - The Room Two (Android)
21/09 - The Room Three (Android)
28/09 - Marvel Vs Capcom: Infinite (PS4) (Story Mode)
02/10 - Dishonored (Xbox One)
03/10 - Dishonored: The Knife Of Dunwall (Xbox One)
05/10 - Dishonored: The Brigmore Witches (Xbox One)
19/10 - Dishonored 2 (Xbox One)
22/10 - Penumbra: Overture (PC)
23/10 - Year Walk (iOS)
31/10 - Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)
03/11 - Marvel Super Heroes (MAME/RetroPie)
04/11 - Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter (MAME/RetroPie)
05/11 - Tatsunoko vs Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars (Wii)
08/11 - Gears Of War 4 (Xbox One)
10/11 - Rise Of The Tomb Raider (Xbox One)
15/11 - Cart Life (PC)
16/11 - LEGO Marvel Super Heroes (Xbox One)
17/11 - Gone Home (Console Edition) (Xbox One)
19/11 - LEGO Marvel Super Heroes 2 (Xbox One)
22/11 - Quantum Break (Xbox One)
24/11 - Dishonored: Death Of The Outsider (Xbox One)
27/11 - What Remains Of Edith Finch (Xbox One)
29/11 - Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (Xbox One)

Much like the first, I enjoyed the story and tone, but actually playing the game left me a bit cold, sadly. Inconsistent difficulty, temperamental signposting, and some uninspiring level and art design sapped much of my enthusiasm for the narrative.

The guns are fun, but I felt like I had to wrestle with how much they obscure the screen. On the easiest difficulty, it was occasionally a blast to feel like a walking tank, but mostly far, far too easy. Anything above that quickly became too frustrating, often dying before you know where the enemies are, or have had time to get to cover. In between firefights, I too often lost track of where I was going, or became bamboozled by misleading waypoints. There is a decent variety to the settings, for a collection of corridors and rooms, but each level struggled to leave a lasting impression, beyond being grey, brown, or white.

I'm really glad this series exists, and honestly feel that MachineGames continue to blow away my expectations for a modern Wolfenstein game, which says little for my expectations, I suppose. Ultimately, I wonder why I didn't just watch the cutscenes on YouTube and save myself about 10 hours. Not a good feeling to end a game with.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

DOOM 2016(PC)- So that ended suddenly didnt it, I mean it's not like the game felt short or that it seemed the story was cut short I just wanted to play more I guess XD. I didnt like the ending itself but just because it's a sequel bait ending and I hate those especially when you dont know if there's gonna be a follow up(Virtue's last Reward flashbacks).

Overall I really liked this game, I cant say Im as in love with it as some people out there are but it's the best FPS I played in quite some time, the combat here just feels sublime there's no other way to put it all your guns feel great from the get go and they only get better as you upgrade them, speaking of which the whole upgrade system is fantastic the way it's all tied to combat performance, challenges and exploration is perfect, it might be a weird comparison but it's similar to the Hitman and MGSV extra objectives you can complete in missions and I really like those. One thing that's a bit different from most FPS games I played is that here you can dodge all, or nearlly all, projectiles thrown at you so cover is almost irrelevant in a sense and makes the game way more dynamic you're constantly on the move and thankfully the level design is great to acomodate that in fact I think this game has the best lvl design I've seen in a FPS, one thing is I wish I had though was a flashlight because the game is pretty dark in general and you're often exploring levels looking for secrets and having a light would help alot in some sections.
Thinking of bad things to say I guess the enemies get kinda stale near the end where they start throwing essentially recolors at you and by them the only thing they can do is throw a million dudes at you to up the challenge, also Im not a super fan of the boss fights, they are ok but the hitbox on a few of their attacks is seriously off and that adds to some of their patterns already being tricky to dodge in first person. Also First person plataforming sucks stop putting it in your games, when it's for collectables and general exploration fine, but when you have to do it to progress it's infuriating, there's a particular level I died over a dozen times because of that.

Other then combat I was surprised at how much stuff there was on the codex people really seem to have thought about the story and mythology of the game I suppose, I really enjoyed that especially alot of it is tongue and cheek and I love the Doomguy's reactions he's able to convey alot of personality without having to talk which makes him a better character then many other silent protagonists like say Gordon Freeman. Samuel Hayden was pretty good too and a perfect foil to doomguys uncontrolled rage being cold hard logic. So even if there's not much too it I ended up enjoying the story here.

So all and all a great game it might be a little bit "one note" but it executes on it almost flawlessly and Im curious to see how they are gonna follow this up.
James

Post by James »

06/01 - Titanfall 2 (Xbox One)
08/01 - The Binding Of Isaac: Afterbirth+ (PC)
09/01 - Sorcery!: The Shamutanti Hills (Android)
15/01 - Donkey Kong Jr. (3DS)
15/01 - Mario Kart: Super Circuit (3DS)
15/01 - Warioware, Inc: Mega Microgame$! (3DS)
16/01 - Donkey Kong (3DS)
27/01 - Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike - Online Edition (PS3)
10/02 - They Breathe (PC)
10/02 - Undertale (PC)
28/02 - Nioh (PS4)
20/03 - The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild (Switch)
06/04 - Fast RMX (Switch)
09/04 - Graceful Explosion Machine (Switch)
17/04 - Mr. Shifty (Switch)
01/05 - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Switch)
22/05 - Injustice 2 (PS4) (Story Mode)
25/05 - Double Dragon (PS4)
25/05 - Double Dragon II: The Revenge (PS4)
26/05 - Double Dragon 3: The Rosetta Stone (MAME/RetroPie)
26/05 - Super Double Dragon (MAME/RetroPie)
29/05 - Injustice: Gods Among Us (PC) (Story Mode)
20/06 - Yellow (Android)
22/06 - Double Dragon Advance (MAME/RetroPie)
26/06 - Injustice 2 (PS4) (All story + Battle Simulator endings)
27/07 - Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3 (PS4)
01/08 - Splatoon 2 (Switch)
02/08 - Tacoma (Xbox One)
31/08 - Double Dragon Neon (Xbox One)
31/08 - Double Dragon IV (PS4)
06/09 - Prey (PS4)
12/09 - The Binding Of Isaac: Afterbirth+ (Switch)
13/09 - Destiny 2 (PS4)
14/09 - Blade Runner (1997, PC)
18/09 - The Room (Android)
20/09 - The Room Two (Android)
21/09 - The Room Three (Android)
28/09 - Marvel Vs Capcom: Infinite (PS4) (Story Mode)
02/10 - Dishonored (Xbox One)
03/10 - Dishonored: The Knife Of Dunwall (Xbox One)
05/10 - Dishonored: The Brigmore Witches (Xbox One)
19/10 - Dishonored 2 (Xbox One)
22/10 - Penumbra: Overture (PC)
23/10 - Year Walk (iOS)
31/10 - Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)
03/11 - Marvel Super Heroes (MAME/RetroPie)
04/11 - Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter (MAME/RetroPie)
05/11 - Tatsunoko vs Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars (Wii)
08/11 - Gears Of War 4 (Xbox One)
10/11 - Rise Of The Tomb Raider (Xbox One)
15/11 - Cart Life (PC)
16/11 - LEGO Marvel Super Heroes (Xbox One)
17/11 - Gone Home (Console Edition) (Xbox One)
19/11 - LEGO Marvel Super Heroes 2 (Xbox One)
22/11 - Quantum Break (Xbox One)
24/11 - Dishonored: Death Of The Outsider (Xbox One)
27/11 - What Remains Of Edith Finch (Xbox One)
29/11 - Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (Xbox One)
30/11 - Seasons After Fall (Xbox One)

I've been meaning to play this for a while. When it popped up for £5 in the Xbox sales last week, I snapped it up. The best description I can give, I think, is that Seasons After Fall is what people expected Ori & The Blind Forest to be. When Ori was released, there was a lot of surprise over its difficulty. Well, Seasons After Fall shares Ori's woodland setting and nature-centric narrative. There's also a similar degree of puzzling, and a loose Metroidvania structure to the map, but Seasons After Fall doesn't have anything like Ori's demanding precision when it comes to the platforming. Also, there's no combat.

I know defining games purely by comparison to other games is a little... well, it's not great for a few reasons, but it seems particularly apropos in this case. I can't help but recommend Seasons After Fall as a relaxing, feel-good platformer, but do be aware that, by comparison to its peers it might seem a little simplistic.
AndrewBrown

Post by AndrewBrown »

AndrewBrown wrote: November 1st, 2017, 2:32 am 05/01: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture [PS4] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CCr431 ... syfKn5_d6T
13/01: The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks [WiiUVC]
17/01: The Order: 1886 [PS4]
28/01: Undertale [PC]
29/01: Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles [Wii]
15/02: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword [Wii]
18/02: Battleborn [PS4]
08/03: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild [Switch]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBuQ870 ... eHlsC-vZdY
12/03: Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove [Switch]
13/03: Fast RMX [Switch]
17/03: Blaster Master Zero [Switch]
14/04: Snake Pass [Switch]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBFVSQ3 ... YqXyhKXPf4
19/04: Injustice: Gods Among Us [360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjjBJs3 ... o31QsPGQg_
04/05: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe [Switch]
17/05: NBA Playgrounds [Switch]
17/05: Injustice 2 [PS4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyGoLQn ... a02v4vry7J
29/05: Thumper [Switch]
01/06: Resident Evil (2002) Jill Campaign [PS4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtWXOf- ... nM-PmgB6fI
06/06: Resident Evil (2002) Chris Campaign [PS4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtWXOf- ... pVhlz1zFIV
11/06: Shantae: Half-Genie Hero [Switch]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxsM73Q ... QH_SQfLi9n
17/06: Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition [PS4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzB-fY4 ... 7gvgJD-o1W
25/06: Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20 Year Anniversary [PS4] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RDLfCq ... wP9i1dYXwM
06/07: Cave Story+ [Switch]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHcHf8D ... DgkbtTPH8S
18/07: Oceanhorn: Monster of Uncharted Seas [Switch]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C51yOgS ... dke2qiibFO
22/07: Splatoon 2 [Switch]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJayczO ... pC5bkJ6SZu
29/07: Overcooked Special Edition [Switch]
04/08: Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call [3DS]
08/08: Dying Light [PS4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5KHx3i ... -xg1ibQB5-
11/08: Pokémon Moon [3DS]
18/08: Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution 2 Plus [Vita]
21/08: The Evil Within [PS4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSaAgZa ... WVBJArVk9a
24/08: Uncharted: The Lost Legacy [PS4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dNePY_ ... c1zklwFDQ2
27/08: Observer [PSN]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NW09S3 ... Xzfu-WqApn
04/09: Piczle Lines DX [Switch]
21/09: SteamWorld Dig [Wii U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTL1oFA ... 3M3wCPTXrp
23/09: SteamWorld Dig 2 [Switch]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd52zzj ... ypPJWVbXaj
24/09: Pokkén Tournament Dx [Switch]
06/10: Golf Story [Switch] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHPioS2 ... glkqj4t583
21/10: South Park: The Fractured But Whole [PS4] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cmnfRO ... dSVLbMeLLs
23/10: Thimbleweed Park [Switch]
26/10: Fire Emblem Warriors [Switch] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVdkXWD ... 8T_pT6Isv8
30/10: Knight Terrors [Switch]
02/11: Super Mario Odyssey [Switch] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16if7iN ... c0cr9kdYC7
03/11: Wheels of Aurelia [Switch] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ3u2-9 ... wzpocUsq6l
09/11: Wolfenstein: The New Order [PS4] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyHomwN ... iux9vpHa3J
10/11: Octodad: Dadliest Catch [Switch] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9M9tgJb ... Id0ay9-zxZ
10/11: The Walking Dead: Season 2 [PS4] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aZcZgA ... XhFEVoc8wD
12/11: Cat Quest [Switch] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6ivK7I ... I3f7Z92GAo
27/11: Battle Chef Brigade [Switch] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdULKae ... T7VcLGmUk-
28/11: DOOM [Switch] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lej9yiq ... peb6vS9y8b
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

19 Jan: Contra (arcade on PS4)
19 Jan: Contra (arcade on 360)
19 Jan: Super Contra (arcade on 360)
19 Jan: Street Fighter III: Third Strike Online Edition (360)
07 Feb: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii on Wii U)
01 Mar: The Little Acre (PC)
12 Mar: Chibi-Robo! (GC)
26 Mar: Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS4)
09 Apr: Gone Home: Console Edition (PS4)
16 Jun: The Witcher: Enhanced Edition (PC)
18 Jun: Nex Machina (PS4)
12 Jul: Puyo Puyo Tetris (NS)
29 Jul: FIFA 17: The Journey (XO)
01 Aug: Life Is Strange (PS4)
03 Aug: What Remains of Edith Finch (PS4)
13 Aug: The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings - Enhanced Edition (PC)
22 Aug: Double Dragon Neon (PS3)
23 Aug: Double Dragon II: Wander of the Dragons (360)
24 Aug: Double Dragon IV (PS4)
27 Aug: Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection: Mortal Kombat (360)
31 Aug: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (NS)
02 Sep: Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection: Mortal Kombat II (360)
28 Sep: Bayonetta 2 (WU)
12 Oct: Grim Fandango Remastered (PS4)
21 Oct: The Witcher III: Wild Hunt (PC)
26 Oct: Super Mario Odyssey (NS)
08 Nov: Mega Man (XO)
10 Nov: Mega Man II (XO)
21 Nov: Final Fantasy I: Dawn of Souls (GBA)
01 Dec: Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (PS4)
Absolutely more of the same but tighter in many ways, beautiful and the last hour or so is proper blockbuster stuff, as well as a technical tour de force. A steal at the £15 I paid as far as I'm concerned.
countstex

Post by countstex »

Tacoma (XBOXOX) A wonderfully implemented game that was a joy to play.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Prey (2017)

Well. I'd never have expected, after the first few hours, that this game would eventually reveal itself to be a magnificent beast which would jump straight into my GOTY reckoning, but there you go.

It's fantastic in many ways - the setting is a kind of Trump Tower in space, and its decks and sections and the ability to go outside and zoom around in zero g make it a brilliantly coherent and interesting setting. The slow burn of the story and the central moral puzzle - you were this person, what kind of person are you now, and does it matter - and the deft linking of personal and physical progression via interaction with a well-developed set of supporting characters, make the game special. The characterisation of, and interaction with, the secondary characters is really top notch.

On the downside, it really is a slow starter and takes a while to figure out the systems (for me anyway). There is also a bit of a blip late on, where the careful playthrough is blown up for a couple of hours. The demo of the first hour or two probably did it no good as it is the most clunky and cumbersome period of the game. Indeed it put me off buying it.

Also, the sound design resembles somebody using one of those ultrasonic devices to make you feel uneasy.

As a whole, a great achievement, both technically and in the realisation of the world. And it has a fantastically bizarre epilogue after the credits roll as a bonus.
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

Spoiler: hide

(Jan) Quantum Break - XB1.
(Jan) Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag - PS4.
(Jan) Adr1ft - PS4.
(Jan) Dear Esther - PS4.
(Jan) Virginia - PS4. (platinum).
(Jan) The London Heist - PSVR
(Feb) Flashback(2013) - PSN.
(Feb) Rain - PSN.
(Feb) Lara Croft & TGOL - PSN.
(Feb) Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II - PS3.
(Feb) Far Cry Primal - PS4.
(Feb) Bayonetta 2 - WiiU.
(Feb) Sniper Elite 3 - PS4.
(Mar) Life is Strange - PS4.
(Mar) Nier Automata - PS4.
(Mar) Halo 2:Anniversary - XB1.
(Mar) Guns, Gore & Canoli - PS4.
(Apr) Alien Breed Ep.3:Descent - Xbox 360.
(Apr) Horizon Zero Dawn - PS4.
(May) Battleborn - PS4.
(May) Diablo 3:RoS - PS4.
(May) Deadpool - PS4.
(May) The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing - PS4.
(June) Killing Floor 2 - PS4.
(June) Mirror's Edge: Catalyst - PS4.
(June) Mass Effect:Andromeda - PS4.
(June) Nex Machina - PS4.
(July) Rise of the Tomb Raider - PS4.
(Aug) Zombi - PS4.
(Aug) Injustice:Gods Among Us -PS4.
(Aug) Shadow Warrior 2 - PS4.
(Aug) Valiant Hearts - PS4.
(Aug) Uncharted:The Lost Legacy - PS4.
(Aug) Lara Croft & The Temple of Osiris - PS4.
(Sept) Game of Thrones - PS4.
(Sept) EVE:Gunjack - PSVR.
(Sept) Bioshock(Survivor difficulty) - PS4
(Sept) Eagle Flight - PSVR.
(Oct) Destiny 2 - PS4.
(Oct) Day of the Tentacle Remastered - VITA.
(Oct) Halo 3: The Master Chief Collection -XB1
(Oct) Knack - PS4.
(Oct) Neon Chrome - VITA.
(Oct) Assassin's Creed Unity - XB1.
(Oct) Batman Arkham VR - PSVR.
(Oct) Not a Hero - PS4.
(Oct) Wolfenstein II The New Collossus - PS4.
(Oct) REZ Infinite - PSVR.
(Nov) Peggle 2 - PS4.
(Nov) Prey(2017) - PS4.
(Nov) Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice - PS4.
(Nov) Trials of the Blood Dragon - PS4.
(Nov) Resident Evil 7:Biohazard - PS4.
(Dec) Call of Duty WWII - PS4.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Last Day of June

Cutesy (though the characters look like ping pong balls with their eyes gouged out) puzzler that is nice to look at and works well, though it is a bit repetitive. You have 4 characters and you play through the events of a few hours with each of them in order to prevent an accident. So a little boy may need to be distracted from playing football so that his ball doesn't roll out onto the road, but then a second character might need the prop you used on the little boy to prevent their accident so you have to replay both sections. Its a bit like the old fox, goose, corn, cross the river puzzler.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

19 Jan: Contra (arcade on PS4)
19 Jan: Contra (arcade on 360)
19 Jan: Super Contra (arcade on 360)
19 Jan: Street Fighter III: Third Strike Online Edition (360)
07 Feb: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii on Wii U)
01 Mar: The Little Acre (PC)
12 Mar: Chibi-Robo! (GC)
26 Mar: Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS4)
09 Apr: Gone Home: Console Edition (PS4)
16 Jun: The Witcher: Enhanced Edition (PC)
18 Jun: Nex Machina (PS4)
12 Jul: Puyo Puyo Tetris (NS)
29 Jul: FIFA 17: The Journey (XO)
01 Aug: Life Is Strange (PS4)
03 Aug: What Remains of Edith Finch (PS4)
13 Aug: The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings - Enhanced Edition (PC)
22 Aug: Double Dragon Neon (PS3)
23 Aug: Double Dragon II: Wander of the Dragons (360)
24 Aug: Double Dragon IV (PS4)
27 Aug: Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection: Mortal Kombat (360)
31 Aug: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (NS)
02 Sep: Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection: Mortal Kombat II (360)
28 Sep: Bayonetta 2 (WU)
12 Oct: Grim Fandango Remastered (PS4)
21 Oct: The Witcher III: Wild Hunt (PC)
26 Oct: Super Mario Odyssey (NS)
08 Nov: Mega Man (XO)
10 Nov: Mega Man II (XO)
21 Nov: Final Fantasy I: Dawn of Souls (GBA)
01 Dec: Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (PS4)
03 Dec: Call of Duty Classic (360)
03 Dec: Mario Kart 64 (N64 on WU)
First time I've ever played through the whole game NTSC 60Hz style.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Planet of the Apes: Last Frontier (PS4)

This is the movie/game crossover which is mostly movie with occasional prompts for decisions and some action (Shoot/Don't shoot essentially). The makers haven't compromised too much on the game part, meaning that a lot of the time you don't even have the illusion of choice - the decision is made for you and you only get to choose a reaction to that (eg respond with determination or dismay). It makes it feel like you have no agency at all for a lot of the game. That said, there are at least three endings with different outcomes, so you're not completely ignored. The writing and story is alright but very undercooked - it would need a longer running time to develop the plot and characters a bit more.

It's also slightly rough technically - while the apes in particular are well-animated, there is a lot of pop in and I had one crash which required a hard reset of the PS4.

I'm glad I played it but couldn't really recommend it for single player. It's a Playlink game and up to four people can play it on their phones, so that might be interesting to some. It's about 3.5 hours long and is broken into 5 chapters so it could be an interesting one for a night or nights on the sofa. The frustration at the lack of choice might be mitigated a bit by crowdsourcing the decisions, so that would take away a big weakness of the game.