Games completed 2017

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
kintaris

Re: Games completed 2017

Post by kintaris »

Flabyo wrote: August 24th, 2017, 12:54 pm The slow pacing and backtracking isn’t for everyone. I liked it mostly for the reasons you dislike it, heh. I like things to not always be completely spelled out by the end (this is probably why I had no trouble with the endings of Halo 2 or Mass Effect 3.)

Oxenfree also has a new game + that mixes thing up and is worth a play if you enjoyed the game, probably not if you didn’t though.
I played through four times and I still don't know exactly what's going on :)

I just liked the art style and the atmosphere, and felt like spending more time in the game.

It's definitely an acquired taste and it is a little plodding, but I think it's a more consistent experience than LiS. That's about as far as I'm going to compare them though. They are quite different games despite involving teens and time-warping weirdness.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Well everyone with an XBO can make their own mind up on Oxenfree, it’s one of the Games with Gold this September.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Spoiler: show
19 Jan: Contra (arcade on PS4)
19 Jan: Contra (arcade on 360)
19 Jan: Super Contra (arcade on 360)
19 Jan: Street Fighter III: Third Strike Online Edition (360)
07 Feb: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii on Wii U)
01 Mar: The Little Acre (PC)
12 Mar: Chibi-Robo! (GC)
26 Mar: Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS4)
09 Apr: Gone Home: Console Edition (PS4)
16 Jun: The Witcher: Enhanced Edition (PC)
18 Jun: Nex Machina (PS4)
12 Jul: Puyo Puyo Tetris (NS)
29 Jul: FIFA 17: The Journey (XO)
01 Aug: Life Is Strange (PS4)
03 Aug: What Remains of Edith Finch (PS4)
13 Aug: The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings - Enhanced Edition (PC)
22 Aug: Double Dragon Neon (PS3)
23 Aug: Double Dragon II: Wander of the Dragons (360)
24 Aug: Double Dragon IV (PS4)
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

18th January Infinite Warfare Xbox One[/b]

Easily my favourite Call Of Duty Campaign I've played (FYI I have not played Black OPs 2 or 3). Great fun for a franchise that isn't usually my cup of tea.

23rd Jan

The Walking Dead Season 3 Episode 2

Brilliant however I do feel that my decisions are based on my previous experiences with Clem which are not relevant here. If you've played it you'll know what I mean. But it is fantastic.

The Bunker

Probably the worst game I have played this gen. Awful, awful game. I can only best describe it as a videogame made by people who have never played videogames. Everything about it was bad. Infuriating controls, instafail sections that were pure luck that you passed. I wouldn't even recommend downloading it when it appears on PS+ or Games With Gold.

Would be a great Cane And Rinse Episode though :)

Resident Evil 7 Playstation 4

Really enjoy it and would recommend

17th Feb Doom Xbox One

Solid 8/10 for me. It outstayed its welcome but was fun none the less

Bioshock Remastered PS4

Glad I've finally ticked this off my pile of shame after all these years. The last boss reminded me of Metroid Primes final boss for some reason. Looking forward to listening to the show now.

March 3Rd

Batman Arkham VR

Very good, just wish there was more of it!

Rez Infinite PSVR

Acts 1-4 were amazing but I thought 5 was a bit of a let down. I obviously miss the point of it somehow

Area X is absolutely amazing though and apart from a bit in Arkham my highlight of PSVR so far. Would love a game based on Area X

The Walking Dead The New Frontier Season 3 Episode 3.

Quite disappointed in this episode I have to say. There was great momentum, cast and story built up in the two episodes previous and an excellent cliff hanger which fizzles out in episode 3. I was most annoyed about a character becoming pissed off with me when I killed someone instead of letting them turn

The Walking Dead Season 3 Episode 4

Telltale have lost the plot this series. Some of the choices in this episode are absolutely ridiculous, I actually let one run out as I didn't feel able to make it leading to a game over screen. I'm happy to be proved wrong but I'm pretty sure they've never tied that to a major decision before?, mind you I have always never shied from making any decisions. Clementine might as well not be there and one scene with her left me scratching my head as the way she acts in that is something that ''my'' Clementine would never even think about let alone want to do what is discussed.

What Remains Of Edith Finch

An interesting "game", I enjoyed it in parts but also had a few questions left at the end of it. I think I'd better play Gone Home now for some kind of comparison.

Gone Home

It was alright, I've preferred What Remains Of Edith Finch and Virginia to be honest. I'll download the show now.

Injustice 2 PS4

Jolly good fun. I enjoyed the story in 1 more but that doesn't mean I'm saying this has a bad story. Combat is better than 1, looking forward to seeing what the extra stuff involves and deciding who to use online.

May 30th The Walking Dead Season 3 Episode 5

Dreadful end to a really, really disappointing season. I have no idea what Telltale were thinking during this season it has been all over the place. The first two episodes they released back to back were excellent but it just goes to pieces in episode 3. Real shame as there were some good characters in there. I would not recommend unless cheap and I'm a huge fan of season 1 and 2. There will be a season 4 and I won't be rushing to pick this up like I have every season so far.

There was no point Clem being in it at all being brutally honest. Her story ark doesn't even get resolved. Annoyed! :lol:
[/quote]

August 1st Horizon Zero Dawn.

My game of the year so far. Not played anything else really since picking it up. Amazing. Looking forward to the DLC now.
[/quote]

AUGUST 11TH UNTIL DAWN

Great fun. I replayed the final chapter again to get the ''best'' ending I'll pop more details in the thread. Recommend
[/quote]

August 18th Telltale Batman Season Two Episode One

Carrying on from an excellent season one, this wasn't brilliant it was just good. They've set up several plot points going ahead. One of the main changes is the relationships with characters. Through your actions as Bruce/Batman your relationship will strengthen/weaken leading to different things happening. Need episode 2 now please
[/quote]

Oxenfree 24th August

There's a good game and an interesting story in there somewhere but it takes far too long to get there. Would be an interesting C&R show. I wouldn't recommend it, I was thoroughly confused at the end as I must've missed some of the story. So the ghosts were submarine crew killed by friendly fire?, still not sure even now if someone can confirm that is right that would be great. It would make a great Netflix series
I somehow ended up saving everyone. Nona got with Ren and Clarissa was with the now alive Michael and Jonas had now just ''moved'' to town with his Dad. No idea how I managed that. I basically told the ghosts to stop being pricks and everyone was saved. Very close to letting them have Clarissa though
August 25th. Two Telltale Episodes

Tales from the Borderlands Episode 3

Still funny

Guardians Of The Galaxy Episode 1

Nails the vibe of the film well and the voice acting is good as I was worried it would be a bit jarring it not being the same as the film. Interested to see where this goes.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

18th January Infinite Warfare Xbox One

Easily my favourite Call Of Duty Campaign I've played (FYI I have not played Black OPs 2 or 3). Great fun for a franchise that isn't usually my cup of tea.

23rd Jan

Brilliant however I do feel that my decisions are based on my previous experiences with Clem which are not relevant here. If you've played it you'll know what I mean. But it is fantastic.

The Bunker

Probably the worst game I have played this gen. Awful, awful game. I can only best describe it as a videogame made by people who have never played videogames. Everything about it was bad. Infuriating controls, instafail sections that were pure luck that you passed. I wouldn't even recommend downloading it when it appears on PS+ or Games With Gold.

17th Feb Doom Xbox One

Bioshock Remastered PS4

Glad I've finally ticked this off my pile of shame after all these years. The last boss reminded me of Metroid Primes final boss for some reason. Looking forward to listening to the show now.

March 3Rd

Batman Arkham VR

Rez Infinite PSVR

Acts 1-4 were amazing but I thought 5 was a bit of a let down. I obviously miss the point of it somehow

Area X is absolutely amazing though and apart from a bit in Arkham my highlight of PSVR so far. Would love a game based on Area X

Quite disappointed in this episode I have to say. There was great momentum, cast and story built up in the two episodes previous and an excellent cliff hanger which fizzles out in episode 3. I was most annoyed about a character becoming pissed off with me when I killed someone instead of letting them turn

Telltale have lost the plot this series. Some of the choices in this episode are absolutely ridiculous, I actually let one run out as I didn't feel able to make it leading to a game over screen. I'm happy to be proved wrong but I'm pretty sure they've never tied that to a major decision before?, mind you I have always never shied from making any decisions. Clementine might as well not be there and one scene with her left me scratching my head as the way she acts in that is something that ''my'' Clementine would never even think about let alone want to do what is discussed.

An interesting "game", I enjoyed it in parts but also had a few questions left at the end of it. I think I'd better play Gone Home now for some kind of comparison.

Gone Home

It was alright, I've preferred What Remains Of Edith Finch and Virginia to be honest. I'll download the show now.

Injustice 2 PS4

Jolly good fun. I enjoyed the story in 1 more but that doesn't mean I'm saying this has a bad story. Combat is better than 1, looking forward to seeing what the extra stuff involves and deciding who to use online.

Dreadful end to a really, really disappointing season. I have no idea what Telltale were thinking during this season it has been all over the place. The first two episodes they released back to back were excellent but it just goes to pieces in episode 3. Real shame as there were some good characters in there. I would not recommend unless cheap and I'm a huge fan of season 1 and 2. There will be a season 4 and I won't be rushing to pick this up like I have every season so far.

There was no point Clem being in it at all being brutally honest. Her story ark doesn't even get resolved. Annoyed! :lol:

My game of the year so far. Not played anything else really since picking it up. Amazing. Looking forward to the DLC now.

AUGUST 11TH UNTIL DAWN

Great fun. I replayed the final chapter again to get the ''best'' ending I'll pop more details in the thread. Recommend
[/quote]

Carrying on from an excellent season one, this wasn't brilliant it was just good. They've set up several plot points going ahead. One of the main changes is the relationships with characters. Through your actions as Bruce/Batman your relationship will strengthen/weaken leading to different things happening. Need episode 2 now please
[/quote]

Oxenfree 24th August

There's a good game and an interesting story in there somewhere but it takes far too long to get there. Would be an interesting C&R show. I wouldn't recommend it, I was thoroughly confused at the end as I must've missed some of the story. So the ghosts were submarine crew killed by friendly fire?, still not sure even now if someone can confirm that is right that would be great. It would make a great Netflix series

I somehow ended up saving everyone. Nona got with Ren and Clarissa was with the now alive Michael and Jonas had now just ''moved'' to town with his Dad. No idea how I managed that. I basically told the ghosts to stop being pricks and everyone was saved. Very close to letting them have Clarissa though

Still funny

Nails the vibe of the film well and the voice acting is good as I was worried it would be a bit jarring it not being the same as the film. Interested to see where this goes.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Flabyo wrote: August 24th, 2017, 6:58 pm Well everyone with an XBO can make their own mind up on Oxenfree, it’s one of the Games with Gold this September.
:lol: damn it
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

The Walking Dead 3: A New Frontier

Eh, I enjoyed it but tried hard to ignore the usual frustrations. It's as much interesting now for how they get past the quotas required by the formula (roughly 5x Choices + 3x QTE Action Sequence + 3x Drama + 1x Misdirection + 1 zombie 'herd' sequence per episode) while also telling a coherent story, as it is for the story itself.

In this one, each episode starts with a flashback to family tensions before the outbreak, which was a nice device, but I felt it tended too much towards setting up a conflict later in the episode - it worked, but it wasn't subtle enough.

Likewise, the early scene-setting episodes moved too fast and didn't ring true as a result. I think there needs to be a more measured pace for the characters to develop, but again they are constrained by the event quota they have to hit. I think players would be happy to have a slow burn early on rather than forcing in the high drama; if you're a fan of this type of game then there wouldn't be too many complaints surely? But then again the episodes are reviewed individually and many reviews tend to disparage 'slow burn' episodes.

I think they also need to put in some very minor changes to outcomes if you do a, b or c. Nothing game breaking, but something that provides the illusion that your choices matter. I'd imagine they have the money to swap in little alternate sequences here and there. I know the format is restrictive for the developers, but they need to freshen it up.

In summary, the design decisions/conflict setups are too transparent to the gamer now, and they could stand to change it up a little bit. It is very jarring at times.
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

(Jan) Quantum Break - XB1.
(Jan) Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag - PS4.
(Jan) Adr1ft - PS4.
(Jan) Dear Esther - PS4.
(Jan) Virginia - PS4. (platinum).
(Jan) The London Heist - PSVR
(Feb) Flashback(2013) - PSN.
(Feb) Rain - PSN.
(Feb) Lara Croft & The Guardian of Light - PSN.
(Feb) Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II - PS3.
(Feb) Far Cry Primal - PS4.
(Feb) Bayonetta 2 - WiiU.
(Feb) Sniper Elite 3 - PS4.
(Mar) Life is Strange - PS4.
(Mar) Nier Automata - PS4.
(Mar) Halo 2:Anniversary - XB1.
(Mar) Guns, Gore & Canoli - PS4.
(Apr) Alien Breed Ep.3:Descent - Xbox 360.
(Apr) Horizon Zero Dawn - PS4.
(May) Battleborn - PS4.
(May) Diablo 3:RoS - PS4.
(May) Deadpool - PS4.
(May) The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing - PS4.
(June) Killing Floor 2 - PS4.
(June) Mirror's Edge: Catalyst - PS4.
(June) Mass Effect:Andromeda - PS4.
(June) Nex Machina - PS4.
(July) Rise of the Tomb Raider - PS4.
(Aug) Zombi - PS4.
(Aug) Injustice:Gods Among Us -PS4.
(Aug) Shadow Warrior 2 - PS4.
(Aug) Valiant Hearts - PS4.
(Aug) Uncharted:The Lost Legacy - PS4.
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

4/01: Rez Infinite
16/01: Journey
20/02: Bastion
20/02: Pokemon Moon
09/03: Grow Home
15/04: Kirby Mass Attack
30/04: Yooka Laylee
23/06: The Last Guardian
15/07: Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga
19/08: Grim Fandango
27/08: Sonic Mania

Loved this one. This is a fantastic throwback to the blue hedgehog's glory days. The previous levels all had interesting spins on their designs and the new levels were some of the best in the game. And the music is up there with some of the best the series has to offer. Finished with Sonic but did not collect all chaos emeralds and will replay with Tails and Knuckles at some point. Can see myself returning to this one a lot. Hope there will be a follow up with all new levels, these guys know how to do level design!
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

18th January Infinite Warfare Xbox One

23rd Jan

The Bunker

17th Feb Doom Xbox One

Bioshock Remastered PS4

March 3Rd

Batman Arkham VR

Rez Infinite PSVR

Gone Home

Injustice 2 PS4

AUGUST 11TH UNTIL DAWN

[/quote]

[/quote]

Oxenfree 24th August

Still funny

[/quote]
August 28th Firewatch.

Would recommend, right amount of length I would've liked
You given the option of talking to Ned to get him to come with you at the end and he would've chosen depending on how you have acted through the game
Dante Fireseed

Post by Dante Fireseed »

February 18th - The Witness (PS4)
February 26th - Mirror's Edge Catalyst (PS4)
March 13th - Dishonored 2 (PS4)
April 5th - Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4)
April 14th - Abzu (PC)
April 24th - Deus Ex Mankind Divided (PC)
April 25th - Deus Ex Mankind Divided DLC - Desperate Measures (PC)
June 11th - The Last Guardian (PS4)
June 24th - Alienation (PS4)
August 1st - Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS4)
August 19th - Soma (PC)
August 24th - The Turing Test (PC)

A decent puzzler, but in a world with Portal 2 and The Talos Principle, it feels a bit derivative.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Late Shift (PS4)

This is the FMV game where you're a security guard who is coerced into a robbery. Pretty enjoyable, if a bit cheesy and lame at times. It takes about an hour to play through and I have 9% completion at that point, meaning I'll probably blast through on a trophy hunt and see how different choices play out.

It was very well done, with the choice aspect being pretty seamless.

I'm also tempted to go for The Bunker now, even though it has been excoriated on here :)
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

Chopper wrote: August 29th, 2017, 3:28 pm Late Shift (PS4)

This is the FMV game where you're a security guard who is coerced into a robbery. Pretty enjoyable, if a bit cheesy and lame at times. It takes about an hour to play through and I have 9% completion at that point, meaning I'll probably blast through on a trophy hunt and see how different choices play out.

It was very well done, with the choice aspect being pretty seamless.

I'm also tempted to go for The Bunker now, even though it has been excoriated on here :)
I'd maybe still be wary of The Bunker. I watched a stream playthrough of both games by the same streamers, and while everyone agreed Late Shift was pretty good, The Bunker still came off considerably worse.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Too late! :)

I've just played through all the choices/endings on Late Shift and am very impressed. They made it work really well, top production values and there was a good sense of humour at play too. The choices were all pretty great and naturalistic (to the extent that you can't identify the key decision points without a walkthrough). Some continuity and believability issues at times but I can live with that.

So this was such a good experience, I kind of feel duty-bound to check out the developer's other work. I believe it's a different animal alright, but I'm looking forward to it.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Alex79uk wrote:JAN - Little Big Planet Vita (PS Vita)
JAN - Everybody's Gone To The Rapture (PS4)
JAN - Day Of The Tentacle Remastered (PS Vita)
JAN - Hidden My Game By Mom (Android)
FEB - Trials Fusion (PS4)
FEB - Life Is Strange (PS4)
MAR - ABZÛ (PS4)
MAR - Bloodborne (PS4)
APR - Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (PS4)
MAY - Salt & Sanctuary (PS Vita)
MAY - Yakuza 0 (PS4)
JUL - Grand Theft Auto V (PS4)
JUL - World Of Goo (iOS)
AUG - Killzone Mercenary (PS Vita)
AUG - Burrito Bison: Launcha Libre (Android)

Now bear with me here. Burrito Bison is a game in which you launch Mexican wrestlers at a variety of wacky boss characters, and then try to extend your launch by bouncing on gummy bears, before crashing your way through a wall of cake to the next stage. Along the way you are helped by an ever increasingly weird bunch of characters, including, but not limited to, a key carrying treasure chest, a punching mecha suit bouncing thing, a spacehopper and rocket launching teddy bears. If you manage to get yourself high enough whilst bouncing along you will turn in to a jelly meteorite and come crashing down to the ground for mega points.

This game is amazing.

And it's free.

Every time you think you've finished, it throws more stuff at you. More stuff to unlock. More powerups. More bosses. More modes. Time travelling, warp gates, recipies for Mexican cuisine (!?) and more hidden features.

It's an endless runner rogue type sort of thing, and although there is not technically an 'end game' I have completely maxed out everything, unlocked everything and seen everything (despite my earlier comment). Twice. So I'm counting it as a completion!

I've put more hours in to this game over the last six weeks than anything else. The sense of progression is great. First few runs you'll struggle to score 100 points. By the end I was getting over 10 billion every time.

Go and play it. It's free! Give it half an hour, and if you hate it then shoot me. But this is one of the best mobile games I've ever played and one of the best games I've played this year full stop. I can't believe more people aren't playing it!
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

5th January - Arkham Origins (Wii U)
12th January - The End of the World (Android)
18th January - Rayman Legends (Wii U)
31st January - Light House (Android)
1st February - Where shadows slumber (Android)
9th February - Pikmin 3 - Story mode (Wii U)
19th February - New Super Mario Bros. U (Wii U)
7th April - Deus Ex Go (Android)
19th June - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
20th June - Yellow (Android)
9th July - ARMS (Switch)
14th July - Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (Wii U)
20th July - Bulb Boy (Switch)
16th August - Shovel Knight (Switch)

29th August - Sonic Mania (Switch)

As someone who loved Sonic 1&2 on my Master System and watched several Mean Machines Sega videos dreaming of playing the Mega Drive games, but who hadn't played a Sonic game since, this was fun.

Not an amazing game, which I think is more down to my feelings about Sonic in general, but lovely fan service. Just never like the momentum in Sonic so much. The Game informer podcast nailed it for me when their host said 'The thing about Sonic games for me is you're either going too fast or too slow'. That feels true to me too. I adapted to it far more and following the tips on here, came to enjoy it, but having played DKC: Tropical Freeze, NSMBU, Shovel Knight and Rayman Legends this year it didn't really run those close for me.

It is so lovingly made though. Some great bosses, the music (always one of Sonics high points) was superb and I love how tight it felt when I found the right flow.

Can't see myself replaying the whole game as the last 3 world's felt hard work. Those plasma orbs and the final long level were a bit tedious. Also felt like after the first 4 worlds, it all got a lot more industrial and mechanical in styling than the game's I recall as a kid. But maybe that's down to my incorrect memories.

Overall I'd say it's a great Sonic game and a loving tribute. But it's probably just cemented my long held view that Sonic, as a franchise, is merely just a decent platformer with great music as opposed to an all time great series.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Alex79uk wrote: August 29th, 2017, 9:49 pm
Alex79uk wrote:JAN - Little Big Planet Vita (PS Vita)
JAN - Everybody's Gone To The Rapture (PS4)
JAN - Day Of The Tentacle Remastered (PS Vita)
JAN - Hidden My Game By Mom (Android)
FEB - Trials Fusion (PS4)
FEB - Life Is Strange (PS4)
MAR - ABZÛ (PS4)
MAR - Bloodborne (PS4)
APR - Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (PS4)
MAY - Salt & Sanctuary (PS Vita)
MAY - Yakuza 0 (PS4)
JUL - Grand Theft Auto V (PS4)
JUL - World Of Goo (iOS)
AUG - Killzone Mercenary (PS Vita)
AUG - Buffalo Bison: Launcha Libre (Android)

Now bear with me here. Buffalo Bison is a game in which you launch Mexican wrestlers at a variety of wacky boss characters, and then try to extend your launch by bouncing on gummy bears, before crashing your way through a wall of cake to the next stage. Along the way you are helped by an ever increasingly weird bunch of characters, including, but not limited to, a key carrying treasure chest, a punching mecha suit bouncing thing, a spacehopper and rocket launching teddy bears. If you manage to get yourself high enough whilst bouncing along you will turn in to a jelly meteorite and come crashing down to the ground for mega points.

This game is amazing.

And it's free.

Every time you think you've finished, it throws more stuff at you. More stuff to unlock. More powerups. More bosses. More modes. Time travelling, warp gates, recipies for Mexican cuisine (!?) and more hidden features.

It's an endless runner rogue type sort of thing, and although there is not technically an 'end game' I have completely maxed out everything, unlocked everything and seen everything (despite my earlier comment). Twice. So I'm counting it as a completion!

I've put more hours in to this game over the last six weeks than anything else. The sense of progression is great. First few runs you'll struggle to score 100 points. By the end I was getting over 10 billion every time.

Go and play it. It's free! Give it half an hour, and if you hate it then shoot me. But this is one of the best mobile games I've ever played and one of the best games I've played this year full stop. I can't believe more people aren't playing it!
Downloading now!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Small correction for those seeking this out, it's Burrito Bison rather than Buffalo Bison!
:)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Dooooh! Thanks! How embarrassing, go on about how great it is and don't even know what it's called :lol: :oops:
Editing now!
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

ratsoalbion wrote: August 29th, 2017, 11:58 pm Small correction for those seeking this out, it's Burrito Bison rather than Buffalo Bison!
:)
Or is it Burrito Vega? :lol: :lol: :lol: :D