Games completed 2017

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
AndrewBrown

Re: Games completed 2017

Post by AndrewBrown »

Indiana747 wrote: May 6th, 2017, 3:26 am (May) Battleborn - PS4.
Yeah, Battleborn! What'd you think? I felt it was unfairly maligned. People kept comparing it to Overwatch which was not a fair comparison at all. It has more in common with Destiny.
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

Really enjoyed it Andy. I like the Borderlands artstyle & voicework/comedy. Ive had it sitting on the shelf for months & decided to give it a whirl. Good game, think people should go & buy it as its on the PSN store sale atm aswell.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Spoiler: show
05/01 - Forza Horizon 3: Blizzard Mountain
15/01 - Odin Sphere Leifthrasir
17/01 - The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
25/01 - The Unfinished Swan
29/01 - Folklore
31/01 - Doom (Hurt Me Plenty)
04/02 - Gravity Rush 2
26/02 - Unravel
14/03 - Nier: Automata (Ending A)
20/03 - Nier: Automata (Ending B)
21/03 - Gravity Rush 2: Raven's Choice
24/03 - Nier: Automata (Ending C)
25/03 - Nier: Automata (Ending D)
25/03 - Nier: Automata (Ending E)
22/04 - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
27/04 - Dark Souls 3: The Ringed City (NG+ level)
28/04 - Kamiko
05/05 - The Witcher 3: Hearts of Stone
06/05 - Yakuza 0

Another great entry in the series. Not sure I'd say it's the best, but it's definitely a step up from 5. The tighter focus on two characters was much appreciated, and the different combat styles were a great addition. The '80s vibe was really cool, and it's interesting to see some of these characters in a different light to how they are in other games. Also feels like it leads in to the first game very well. Playing it in 60fps is great too. Definitely benefits from it. It'll be a bit sad to see them go back to 30 when Yakuza 6 rolls around. But that's a while off, and Kiwami will be there to satiate my desires in the meantime.

There were a few little points I wasn't a huge fan of though. There are these large side-activities where you run a business with each character. It's the biggest way to make money, which you'll be needing a lot of to upgrade your combat abilities. These business minigames aren't great though. Kind of repetitive busywork, that isn't too engaging. That's espeically true of Kiryu's, where you spend most of the time literally just waiting for bars to go up. Majima's is at least a bit more involved. The other problem is that changing between combat styles in a fight is a bit clunky. It takes a few seconds for the button press to register, which can mess up the flow of a fight sometimes. Otherwise the combat system is as fun and crunchy as it's always been, and the different styles does a lot to add variation.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Alex79uk wrote:JAN - Little Big Planet Vita (PS Vita)
JAN - Everybody's Gone To The Rapture (PS4)
JAN - Day Of The Tentacle Remastered (PS Vita)
JAN - Hidden My Game By Mom (Android)
FEB - Trials Fusion (PS4)
FEB - Life Is Strange (PS4)
MAR - ABZÛ (PS4)
MAR - Bloodborne (PS4)
APR - Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (PS4)
MAY - Salt & Sanctuary (PS Vita)

What a game! It was brilliant from start to finish. I wanted a 2D Dark Souls and that's exactly what I got. It's all there - the exploration, the combat, the secrets and hidden areas, the huge bosses, the risk/reward system - they've not left a thing out. It adds a lot of its own flavour too though, with gaining abilities to assist you traversing the huge map (which is brilliant, and all links and loops back on itself all over the place), and a nice mechanic enabling you to customise the shrines with merchants and alchemists etc.

You might think it would be difficult to enjoy something so derivative, but it's executed with such skill that it became a hugely enjoyable game in its own right. If you're looking for something to quench your Souls thirst, and like a bit of 2D adventuring with some platforming thrown in here and there, then you can't go wrong. I rank this up with Castlevania SotN and Super Mario World as one of the finest 2D games I've ever played.

Top marks all round.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

29/01 - Folklore
04/02 - Gravity Rush 2
26/02 - Unravel
28/04 - Kamiko
06/05 - Yakuza 0
09/05 - Forza Motorsport 6: Porsche Anthology

Barely worth mentioning, but for the sake of comprehensiveness, I'm including it. Never really cared much for these Porsche expansions the Forza games tend to have. I don't have any strong feelings either way about the brand itself, and these expansions usually feel like little more than a glorified car pack to justify the extra effort they had to go to do get the Porsche license. But I picked this up at some point when it was on sale since it had a new track in it. Played most of the mini career mode it had, but got bored and dropped it. Just finished it off now. Nothing special. Just some more races events, except they force you to use a certain Porsche for each event, and each race starts with some random person waffling on about stuff no one cares about, which you can't skip. At least there's some extra achievement points to get.

I suppose this is a chance to talk about Forza and the Porsche license in general. Now that it's been wrestled away from the clawing hands of EA, that means that future Forza games will just have Porsches in from launch, and hopefully expansions will be more interesting by extension. Seems that's already happening with Horizon 3, with their Hot Wheels expansion coming out today. In fact, part of why I even bothered playing this was because I'm waiting for that thing to show up on the Xbox marketplace. Another thing about the whole Porsche/EA situation was that even though EA owned the license for a long time, they were never so difficult in sub-licensing it to Forza until they tried to have a to at competing with Forza directly with the NFS Shift spin-off series. Yet, even though that series went nowhere, they still clutched on to the license not letting anyone else at it without strong-arming them in to some kind of convoluted deal. Good thing that's finally over.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Nioh:Dragon of the North(PS4)- Yeah a somewhat short but certainly worthwhile addition to Nioh, the DLC has only 3 new maps but those are probably some of the lenghthiest out of the entire game, the Odachi is a great new weapon(even if I cant use it well) but more importantly man they really brought the difficulty with the bosses the last one in particular was a pain in the ass. My favorite one(probably my favorite of the entire game)was masamune, he was the most "rival fight" out of the entire game while still managing to be a boss, what mean is that he still mostly follows the same rules as you but has just enough of a leg up to still be a challenge, also the fact that he uses double swords and I use double swords just made the whole duel vibe XD.
One thing I didnt like thou was some of the side missions they added that seem straight up bullshit, I mean I dont mind the boss rushes or the double duels they are actually quite fun and challenging, my problem are these missions where it's just a gauntlet of groups of hard enemies one after another, in these missions there a moments where you're already fighting a hard boss and then the game just spawns more enemies in the middle because fuck you, thankfully these are all optional but still I wish they werent there, I dont like using this word but these type of mission scream lazyness to me.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Uncharted 4- didn't think much of this; another big franchise falls by the wayside for me. That said, I had no expectations after #3, but got it cheap in a sale so thought I'd give it a go. As James mentioned in another thread, how walking sims receive gamers' ire while this receives a free pass, is beyond me.

Fahrenheit - hurrah! Finally made it through the excruciating and endless qtes, my hands are curled and withered talons.

I really enjoyed it. I knew the story was going to go sideways at some point but that all happened very late in the game and didn't impact my enjoyment. It was funny seeing the genesis of all the Cage tropes that we know and love so well from later games. :D
He really does seem to operate in the manner of thinking up a load of independent 'cool stuff', banging it in there, and then trying to provide some ill-thought-out framework at the end to tie it all together.

The usual weaknesses - he should let someone else write the damn things - and strengths. Acting was pretty great in this one, I thought.

The person who thought up the qtes should be given an award of some type.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I've been really tempted to pick up Fahrenheit, since I really enjoyed the PC version years back. I couldn't get over how ropey it looked though on the PS4 version (which I realise is the PS2 version). Was the performance ok, and what did you think of the awful stealth section at the army barracks!? I hated that bit back in the day!
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Ha ha, both bits set on the base were probably the most frustrating bits of the game - as well as the stealth one, there's one where the hangar goes on fire and you're supposed to be psychic to rescue some kids. The controls are pretty ropy at times so a lot of the timed sections can be a little frustrating.

No performance issues that I noticed, and I was really impressed with the set pieces.

I only came back to gaming with the Wii and the 360 after years of not playing, so I missed everything from the 8 bit age till then, and obviously all the ps2 stuff like this so I thought it would be dog rough and was pleasantly surprised.

There were some great scenes, e.g. At the motel with the cops closing in and your brother the priest under threat too.

It was an incredible step up in technology between this (2005) and Heavy Rain (2010). I'm going to have a replay of that soon.

Edit: I did rage quit three times during the game but it was qte-related each time ;)
AndrewBrown

Post by AndrewBrown »

Chopper wrote: May 11th, 2017, 11:15 am Uncharted 4- didn't think much of this; another big franchise falls by the wayside for me. That said, I had no expectations after #3, but got it cheap in a sale so thought I'd give it a go. As James mentioned in another thread, how walking sims receive gamers' ire while this receives a free pass, is beyond me.
I thought the "walking sim" levels were the best parts of Uncharted 4.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

29/01 - Folklore
04/02 - Gravity Rush 2
26/02 - Unravel
28/04 - Kamiko
06/05 - Yakuza 0
12/05 - Forza Horizon 3: Hot Wheels

Very fun and wild addition to the game. I love that they were willing to do something to drastically different and silly, and go all the way with it. Full of lots of fun crazy moments of driving around impossible tracks and doing absurd jumps and such. It's also a really nice looking area of the game. Being able to drive up around all these twists and loops means you get a really different perspective on the game, and makes for some striking scenery. The whole thing was a nice dose of nostalgia too, as I used to play with Hot Wheels a lot when I was a kid. They even put one of my favourite cars from back then in this expansion!

A couple of things were a little annoying though. Given how strange and unusual the tracks are, it's sometimes really hard to judge your distances and stuff. I often found myself hitting the walls and such because I couldn't work out where the apex of a corner is, or how much I should brake, etc. Similarly, these new crazy environments seem to confuse the racing line assist. It seems to give completely wrong advice on many corners. Sometimes it doesn't even appear at all, when it clearly should. That is using the "braking only" version of the assist, as I tend to. Also it doesn't help that sometimes even if the braking line does appear, you won't be able to see it against the orange road. But I think I can let that stuff slide, since this expansion is clearly not meant to be that serious. I don't mind so much about not being able to get my lines perfect when the real point of this DLC is just to mess around with some bonkers nonsense.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Flabyo wrote: April 26th, 2017, 8:30 amJan 1st - Gravity Rush Remastered (PS4)
Jan 8th - Shantae: Half-genie hero (XBO)
Feb 1st - Tales from the Borderlands (XBO)
Feb 6th - Stories: The Path of Destinies (PS4)
Mar 19th - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (WiiU)
Apr 2nd - Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS4)
Apr 17th - Ryse: Son of Rome (XBO)
Apr 25th - The Sexy Brutale (XBO)
May 13th - Borderlands 2 (360)

Yeah, liked that. Unusual for a game based around a core loop of slowly incrementing loot drops to not run out of ideas, impressive stuff.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Jan - Guilty Gear Xrd: Revelator
Jan - Mad Max
Jan - Streets of Rage 2
Jan - Guardian Heroes
Jan - Xcom 2 (+dlc)
Jan - Titanfall 2 (+online G6)
Jan - Shining Force
Jan - Street Fighter III: 2nd Impact
Jan - Street Fighter III: Third Strike Online
Jan - Mr Driller (2500ft)
Feb - Earthworm Jim Special Edition
Feb - Baku Baku
Feb - Day of the Tentacle Remastered
Feb - Resident Evil 7
Feb - Fire Emblem Heroes
Feb - The Last Guardian
Feb - Mercs
Feb - Doom
Feb - Wild Guns
Mar - Devils Third
Mar - The Wonderful 101
Mar - Nier: Automata (platinum)
Apr - Nier
May - Odin Sphere Leifthrasir (platinum)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Alex79uk wrote:JAN - Little Big Planet Vita (PS Vita)
JAN - Everybody's Gone To The Rapture (PS4)
JAN - Day Of The Tentacle Remastered (PS Vita)
JAN - Hidden My Game By Mom (Android)
FEB - Trials Fusion (PS4)
FEB - Life Is Strange (PS4)
MAR - ABZÛ (PS4)
MAR - Bloodborne (PS4)
APR - Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (PS4)
MAY - Salt & Sanctuary (PS Vita)
MAY - Yakuza 0 (PS4)

That was bloody brilliant! I've been meaning to get in to the Yakuza series for years, and saw this as a perfect jumping in opportunity. What an excellent game. The story was fantastic, keep twisting and turning, and every single character was so well written, all with completely unique personalities. It took me just over 50 hours to complete, and I only did about half the side missions, of which there are about 100! At no point did this game ever become a chore - usually with a game of this length I start getting fidgety and rush towards the end after a while, but this was the rarest of things, a game I didn't want to end.

Loved every minute of it - the story, the running around town, the fighting, the side quests, the arcade games, the darts (oh the darts! I played 73 games of darts!!)

Absolute masterpiece. I cannot wait to play the Yakuza 1 remake when it comes out, and from then exploring the rest of the series.

Play it!
Beck

Post by Beck »

Jan - Titanfall 2
Jan - Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls
Feb - Day of the Tentacle
Feb - Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4
Feb - Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 - Finished all the DLC and got the Plat.
Feb - Fire Emblem Fates : Birthright
March - Dark Souls 3 - I managed to finish a souls game :) I got all the bosses, Nameless King was a nightmare but the rest went down under 5 attempts.
March - Final Fantasy 15
April - Mass Effect Andromeda
May - Puyo Puyo Tetris - Great game, even better with friends.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

18th January Infinite Warfare Xbox One[/b]

Easily my favourite Call Of Duty Campaign I've played (FYI I have not played Black OPs 2 or 3). Great fun for a franchise that isn't usually my cup of tea.[/quote]

23rd Jan

The Walking Dead Season 3 Episode 2

Brilliant however I do feel that my decisions are based on my previous experiences with Clem which are not relevant here. If you've played it you'll know what I mean. But it is fantastic.

The Bunker

Probably the worst game I have played this gen. Awful, awful game. I can only best describe it as a videogame made by people who have never played videogames. Everything about it was bad. Infuriating controls, instafail sections that were pure luck that you passed. I wouldn't even recommend downloading it when it appears on PS+ or Games With Gold.

Would be a great Cane And Rinse Episode though :)[/quote]

Resident Evil 7 Playstation 4

Really enjoy it and would recommend[/quote]

17th Feb Doom Xbox One

Solid 8/10 for me. It outstayed its welcome but was fun none the less[/quote]

Bioshock Remastered PS4

Glad I've finally ticked this off my pile of shame after all these years. The last boss reminded me of Metroid Primes final boss for some reason. Looking forward to listening to the show now.[/quote]

March 3Rd

Batman Arkham VR

Very good, just wish there was more of it![/quote

Rez Infinite PSVR

Acts 1-4 were amazing but I thought 5 was a bit of a let down. I obviously miss the point of it somehow

Area X is absolutely amazing though and apart from a bit in Arkham my highlight of PSVR so far. Would love a game based on Area X
[/quote]

The Walking Dead The New Frontier Season 3 Episode 3.

Quite disappointed in this episode I have to say. There was great momentum, cast and story built up in the two episodes previous and an excellent cliff hanger which fizzles out in episode 3. I was most annoyed about a character becoming pissed off with me when I killed someone instead of letting them turn
[/quote]

The Walking Dead Season 3 Episode 4

Telltale have lost the plot this series. Some of the choices in this episode are absolutely ridiculous, I actually let one run out as I didn't feel able to make it leading to a game over screen. I'm happy to be proved wrong but I'm pretty sure they've never tied that to a major decision before?, mind you I have always never shied from making any decisions. Clementine might as well not be there and one scene with her left me scratching my head as the way she acts in that is something that ''my'' Clementine would never even think about let alone want to do what is discussed.
[/quote]

What Remains Of Edith Finch

An interesting "game", I enjoyed it in parts but also had a few questions left at the end of it. I think I'd better play Gone Home now for some kind of comparison.
[/quote]
Gone Home

It was alright, I've preferred What Remains Of Edith Finch and Virginia to be honest. I'll download the show now.
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

(Jan) Quantum Break - XB1.
(Jan) Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag - PS4.
(Jan) Adr1ft - PS4.
(Jan) Dear Esther - PS4.
(Jan) Virginia - PS4. (platinum).
(Jan) The London Heist - PSVR
(Feb) Flashback(2013) - PSN.
(Feb) Rain - PSN.
(Feb) Lara Croft & The Guardian of Light - PSN.
(Feb) Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II - PS3.
(Feb) Far Cry Primal - PS4.
(Feb) Bayonetta 2 - WiiU.
(Feb) Sniper Elite 3 - PS4.
(Mar) Life is Strange - PS4.
(Mar) Nier Automata - PS4.
(Mar) Halo 2:Anniversary - XB1.
(Mar) Guns, Gore & Canoli - PS4.
(Apr) Alien Breed Ep.3:Descent - Xbox 360.
(Apr) Horizon Zero Dawn - PS4.
(May) Battleborn - PS4.
(May) Diablo 3:RoS - PS4.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

29/01 - Folklore
04/02 - Gravity Rush 2
26/02 - Unravel
28/04 - Kamiko
06/05 - Yakuza 0
19/05 - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (150cc)

It's Mario Kart! Except deluxe! That means it's got squids and a proper battle mode this time.

Although, is it just me, or does this game "Mario Kart" you more than the original version? I don't remember the game being quite so mean when it came to hammering you with multiple setbacks in a row on the Wii U version. Still a fun time though.
iNeedScissors67

Post by iNeedScissors67 »

I can't remember the dates exactly, but so far I've completed:

Batman: The Telltale Series
Yakuza 0
Portal 2 (for like the 8th time)
Battlefield 1
Titanfall 2
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
Final Fantasy XV
The Walking Dead: Michonne
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Scrustle wrote: May 19th, 2017, 9:38 am
29/01 - Folklore
04/02 - Gravity Rush 2
26/02 - Unravel
28/04 - Kamiko
06/05 - Yakuza 0
19/05 - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (150cc)

It's Mario Kart! Except deluxe! That means it's got squids and a proper battle mode this time.

Although, is it just me, or does this game "Mario Kart" you more than the original version? I don't remember the game being quite so mean when it came to hammering you with multiple setbacks in a row on the Wii U version. Still a fun time though.
I think it's the ability to carry two items which makes for the absolute shaftery. I half laugh it off and half want to climb down the phone lines and punt a man in the dick.