Games completed 2017

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Todinho

Re: Games completed 2017

Post by Todinho »

Alex79uk wrote: April 7th, 2017, 2:52 pm Ha I've still got that game, it wasn't so bad!
It's like the worst reviewed RE title ever mande XD
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Todinho wrote: April 7th, 2017, 7:03 pm
Alex79uk wrote: April 7th, 2017, 2:52 pm Ha I've still got that game, it wasn't so bad!
It's like the worst reviewed RE title ever mande XD
No, that would be Umbrella Corps! ;)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Spoiler: show
19 Jan: Contra (arcade on PS4)
19 Jan: Contra (arcade on 360)
19 Jan: Super Contra (arcade on 360)
19 Jan: Street Fighter III: Third Strike Online Edition (360)
07 Feb: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii on Wii U)
01 Mar: The Little Acre (PC)
12 Mar: Chibi-Robo! (GC)
26 Mar: Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS4)
09 Apr: Gone Home: Console Edition (PS4)
Played along with the show!
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Nearly forgot this one! I recently acquired a copy of Last Bronx for the Saturn and played a bit of it the next day.

- 26 Mar: Last Bronx (SAT) Arcade Mode with Yoko, Story Mode with Nagi
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I think (although it's possible that I've forgotten) Last Bronx is one of the few fighting games of the era that I've never played (arcade or home).
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Quite a while ago I bought a modified Saturn with a ton of (ripped) games... and after check the game list Last Bronx is somewhere among that pile of games that came with it.

I will have to check it out now...
James

Post by James »

I have my own spreadsheet to keep track, but I've been remiss in not keeping my progress up to date on here.

Graceful Explosion Machine is my most recent completion. It's a really tough shmup, with some pretty smart mechanics around lives and checkpoints. I *think* it's coming to other platforms than just Switch, but it's surprisingly difficult to confirm that as everything written about it so far is leaning on the Nintendo (timed) exclusivity.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

I hadn't played Last Bronx before either and I quite enjoyed it. It's a bit like a street punk themed version of Soul Blade (not SoulCalibur), with that SEGA AM2 / AM3 type quality to it. I'd recommend checking it out if that sounds in any way appealing to you. :)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

It does, and it's a shame it didn't come to XBLA/PSN when VF2, Fighting Vipers and Sonic the Fighters did.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Alex79uk wrote:JAN - Little Big Planet Vita (PS Vita)
JAN - Everybody's Gone To The Rapture (PS4)
JAN - Day Of The Tentacle Remastered (PS Vita)
JAN - Hidden My Game By Mom (Android)
FEB - Trials Fusion (PS4)
FEB - Life Is Strange (PS4)
MAR - ABZÛ (PS4)
MAR - Bloodborne (PS4)
APR - Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (PS4)

I really love this series so it was nice to step back in to Drake's shoes for a few hours. It's still a terrific game. :)
James

Post by James »

06/01 - Titanfall 2 (Xbox One)
08/01 - The Binding Of Isaac: Afterbirth+ (Steam)
09/01 - Sorcery!: The Shamutanti Hills (Android)
15/01 - Donkey Kong Jr. (3DS)
15/01 - Mario Kart: Super Circuit (3DS)
15/01 - Warioware, Inc: Mega Microgame$! (3DS)
16/01 - Donkey Kong (3DS)
27/01 - Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike - Online Edition (PS3)
10/02 - They Breathe (Steam)
10/02 - Undertale (Steam)
28/02 - Nioh (PS4)
20/03 - The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild (Switch)
06/04 - Fast RMX (Switch)
09/04 - Graceful Explosion Machine (Switch)

Figured I'd get this up to date. Thank you 3DS save states for some of those completions! :oops:

14 completions so far, of 35 games played.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Final Fantasy XV(PS4)- Well now this is very weird game to me, like I said before it's a game that on paper just shouldnt work for me and yet it does, the game has a myriad of problems that should completly tank it for me but the good parts of the game just kept pulling me back that I didnt really care about the problems, but let me list them anyway.

First off there's way too much waiting around in this game imagine the helicopter rides of MGSV but way worse, in XV you're constantly either watching a drive to somewhere or suffering through a loading screen, at the beginning it isnt so bad but later own when you have side quests all over the map it gets really tedious traversing the open world, it also doesnt help that almost all side quests are these fetch quests that get progressivelly worse, it's no witcher 3 that's for sure, and while the party does have new banter for every one of them it doesnt change that they are the same type of quests. The story is a complete mess even with the update to chapter 13 characters are barelly introduced and them disapper never to be seem again, characters die and we are supposed to feel something despite not seeing them in any meaningfull way, the whole empire is barelly touched upon and they are the main antagonists for most of the game, and basic things about the world arent explained to us until the very end.
That being said I dont think the story of this game is terrible, when it's all said and done I think the content in here it's actually pretty good the problem is only 50% of it is shown to us, everything else happens off screen and is brieflly mentioned, I think this shows alot of the troubled development in that they had alot more story then they were able to build a game around it, you can see that they want to expand and show all these things to us but just didnt have the time or budget to do it and I think that's why tabata and his team are so adamant in wanting to keep supporting the game post release, this might seem like a cynical ploy to get more money outta and unfinnished game but in this case in particular I think it's genuine especially given how late in development he was brought in, I hear alot of people blaming him for the state of the game but I think he salvaged the most he could with the time he was given and the fact this is still a fun game despite this is a testament to that.

What the game does nail storywise however, and I believe that's what they were aiming for after Tabata took over, was the roadtrip and brotherhood theme. They absolutelly knock that aspect outta the park while and at the beginning I was mocking the 4 main characters as boyband members by the end I really liked and cared for all of them and that's why the ending sticks the landing so well despite the story's glaring problems, to the point this is probably my favorite Final Fantasy cast other then 6, speaking of which this is also my favorite villain in a final fantasy other then Kefka in 6, at first I was bit disapointed but as the game builds up to the ending I ended up really liking him for reasons I wont spoil.
What really sells the game though is gameplay, I love the combat here, once you fully understand it it's just great and incredibly satisfying, sure the camera may get unruly at times but for the most part it does the job, I like how you can quickly switch weapons to suit a particular situation and all of them feel great whether you're slowly swinging a greatsword to inflict massive damage or diving to pierce the enemy from above with a spear, add to that the ability to phase and counter enemies attack and warpping in and out of battle and it just makes for a great combat system that I never get tired of playing, another great thing are the monster designs some just look gorgeous and while the sidequests are trash like I said I love the hunts, I loved them in FFXII and I love them here even more, in fact this whole game is alot like FFXII now that I think about it even down to it's mangled story and troubled development.
One feature that I really liked was the whole camping aspect, this is a feature I think should not only be mandatory in future FF games but in any future open world RPG, I really like the cooking for buffs and resting to tally XP and level up. I also really like the magic here, while a bit limited every time you cast a spell it's an event, something you should save for boss fights and tough encounters but that when you use and see a whole mob of enemies turned to dust is really worth it. Speaking of which the summons in this game are the best outta any Final Fantasy game I ever played, they fully convey what it means for a literal god to show up and give you a hand, I heard people complain that they are too rare and random but Im fine with that because they would be too OP otherwise and I much rather have these rare apperances that leave you in awe then say the aeons in FFX that you can summon all that time but that by the end of the game are pathetically weak.

So yeah this is a game I really like despite itself, I can totally see why someone would hate this game but I dont I really like and if Im honest this is probably gonna be the first game ever that I platinum because I really wanna kill that Turtle!
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Jan 2 - Everybody's Gone To The Rapture (PS4)
Jan 11 - very DOOM (PS4)
Jan 21 - The Last Guardian (PS4)
Jan 27 - Pokémon Sun (3DS)
Feb 9 - They Breathe (PC)
Feb 15 - Gravity Rush 2 (PS4)
Feb 19 - Gone Home (PS4)
Mar 11 - The Little Acre (PS4)
Mar 22 - Gravity Rush 2: Raven's Choice (PS4)
Mar 27 - Mega Man (3DS)
Apr 2 – Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney (Android)
Apr 4 - Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS4)
Apr 6 - The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D (3DS)
Apr 15 - Super Mario 3D Land (3DS)

I've only completed the regular worlds so far, but that led to saving Peach and credits. Have to start on the special worlds now. :)

Apr 15 - Rhythm Thief & the Emperor's Treasure (3DS)

Solid minigame rhythm game with good use of most of the 3DS's input methods. I'd recommend Rhythm Heaven Megamix over it as it has a better selection of games, but its good enough if you can get it cheap.
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

April 15-Kirby Mass Attack (DS)

This is easily the most difficult Kirby game that I have played. Some levels I literally died multiple times on which does not happen to me often with this series. Level diversity was pretty decent (from controlling a tank that shoots out copies of Kirby to one where you are floating in space and avoiding meteors) and trying to make sure all your kirbies are alive throughout the level was a fun challenge. Touch controls were mostly responsive and this game would not have worked nearly as well with a conventional control scheme. Final boss was fun but the series has definitely done better in that regard. The extra minigames are some of the best I have seen in the series. There is a fun little pinball game, a simplistic but addictive rpg and a fantastic old school type shmup. Kirby has yet to let me down yet and this entry is no exception. Would recommend for both fans of the series and people who want something a little different in terms of platforming.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Jan - Guilty Gear Xrd: Revelator
Jan - Mad Max
Jan - Streets of Rage 2
Jan - Guardian Heroes
Jan - Xcom 2 (+dlc)
Jan - Titanfall 2 (+online G6)
Jan - Shining Force
Jan - Street Fighter III: 2nd Impact
Jan - Street Fighter III: Third Strike Online
Jan - Mr Driller (2500ft)
Feb - Earthworm Jim Special Edition
Feb - Baku Baku
Feb - Day of the Tentacle Remastered
Feb - Resident Evil 7
Feb - Fire Emblem Heroes
Feb - The Last Guardian
Feb - Mercs
Feb - Doom
Feb - Wild Guns
Mar - Devils Third
Mar - The Wonderful 101
Mar - Nier: Automata (platinum)
Apr - Nier

Now to finally get that podcast out of the way
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Flabyo wrote:Jan 1st - Gravity Rush Remastered (PS4)
Jan 8th - Shantae: Half-genie hero (XBO)
Feb 1st - Tales from the Borderlands (XBO)
Feb 6th - Stories: The Path of Destinies (PS4)
Mar 19th - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (WiiU)
Apr 2nd - Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS4)
Apr 17th - Ryse: Son of Rome (XBO)

Short but sweet, I think it succeeds in being a God of War lite kind of game, very much has the feel of a launch title in terms of the scope. I think if I'd bought it at launch at full price I would've perhaps felt a little short changed, it's taken me one afternoon into early evening to play through the whole campaign.

As a freebie on games with gold though, a very fine way to spend the last day of the Easter break.
James

Post by James »

06/01 - Titanfall 2 (Xbox One)
08/01 - The Binding Of Isaac: Afterbirth+ (Steam)
09/01 - Sorcery!: The Shamutanti Hills (Android)
15/01 - Donkey Kong Jr. (3DS)
15/01 - Mario Kart: Super Circuit (3DS)
15/01 - Warioware, Inc: Mega Microgame$! (3DS)
16/01 - Donkey Kong (3DS)
27/01 - Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike - Online Edition (PS3)
10/02 - They Breathe (Steam)
10/02 - Undertale (Steam)
28/02 - Nioh (PS4)
20/03 - The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild (Switch)
06/04 - Fast RMX (Switch)
09/04 - Graceful Explosion Machine (Switch)
17/04 - Mr. Shifty (Switch)

It's good fun, but I don't expect Mr. Shifty to linger in my memory into May. I definitely had some problems with it (technical and conceptual), but it's hard to argue with teleporting around a room, dispatching enemies with (mostly) clinical precision. :)

15 completions.
skidoosh

Post by skidoosh »

Inside (100% both endings)
Gone Home
Firewatch
Bastion
NieR (Xbox 360)
The Order: 1886 (Platinum)
DmC: Definitive Edition (PS4)
NieR: Automata (Platinum)
Horizon Zero Dawn (Platinum)
Lego: LOTR (Vita)
Beck

Post by Beck »

Jan - Titanfall 2 - What a game, I'm still cleaning up trophies. Add me if you want to do some multiplayer (PS4)
Jan - Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls - I played through this again with some friends and leveled up a new toons whilst getting through all the additional content. The Diablo 1 stuff is really cool.
Feb - Day of the Tentacle - I finally finished a point and click game. I ended up using a guide as doing it without was taking too long, it's a really good game.
Feb - Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 - The Naruto series is a guilty pleasure for me, I didn't enjoy the end of the Anime but feel obliged to finish the games because I've played all the others.
Feb - Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 - Finished all the DLC and got the Plat.
Feb - Fire Emblem Fates : Birthright - Finally finished this game after starting it last June, it's a good game but I found it dragged near the end. Whilst the Fire Emblem games are good fun, I am worried that they are not changing enough between iterations.
March - Dark Souls 3 - I managed to finish a souls game :) I got all the bosses, Nameless King was a nightmare but the rest went down under 5 attempts.
March - Final Fantasy 15 - I'm not sure where I stand on this game. I really enjoyed the outside world, the sense of brotherhood of the group, the chocobos and the all round nostalgia of previous games that it has throughout. However, It suffers from some massive pacing issues and huge parts of the story seem glossed over. I was ready to stop playing in the final quarter of the game as it felt like a massive chore, I am glad I finished it though as the ending is superb. I watched the film before playing the game and it feels to me that the film is a must to have any idea what's going on in the world.

The combat is a mess, I never felt I had control of my character or my party. The dodge / block / parry mechanic seems really temperamental which became really frustrating. The combat seemed to be about popping potions and holding the attack button rather than any sort of strategy.
April - Mass Effect Andromeda - See the Mass Effect Andromeda thread ;)
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

I have two more endings completed for Steins;Gate - Vita, which I think means 3 more endings to go?

I can't discuss spoilers, obviously, but I will say that if you do decide to play this game, do think too much about "multiple endings". The first play-through is the only opportunity to experience the story as honestly as possible, because on subsequent turns your decisions become "well, now I consciously have to choose a different path". Not that that is a bad thing, it's just you only have one opportunity to get an ending that reflects your honest decisions.

Still absolutely loving it (and I did purchase Steins;Gate 0 in the recent PSN sale). It should be said that this is a Visual Novel, through and through. The only "gameplay" elements come down to "action OR inaction", so if that doesn't appeal... well... I don't know what I could say to sway anyone otherwise. But the story and characters are all the more stronger because of that focus.