Games completed 2017

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Combine Hunter

Re: Games completed 2017

Post by Combine Hunter »

Spoiler: show
02/01 - Hyper Light Drifter (PC)
014/01 - The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (DS)
15/01 - Owlboy (PC)
17/01 - Sid Meier's Civilization VI (PC)
04/02 - Resident Evil [Remake] (PC)
09/02 - They Breathe (PC)
11/02 - Resident Evil 2: Leon A (PS Vita)
17/02 - Resident Evil 2: Claire B (PS Vita)
23/03 - Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS4)
22/02 - Ninja Gaiden: Black (360 - Xbox Original)
26/04 - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch)
29/05 - Nier: Automata - Ending A through E (PS4)
04/06 - The Witcher (PC)
22/06 - Viewtiful Joe (GC)
26/06 - What Remains of Edith Finch (PC)
04/07 - Life is Strange (PC)
17/08 - Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (PC)
30/08 - Shovel Knight: Spector of Torment (Switch)
30/08 - Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (PS4)
09/09 - Prey (PC)
24/09 - XCOM 2: War of the Chosen (PC)
02/10 - Tacoma (PC)

Very good. Writing and voice acting was exceptional, but the overall story didn't land with the impact Gone Home's did.
James

Post by James »

06/01 - Titanfall 2 (Xbox One)
08/01 - The Binding Of Isaac: Afterbirth+ (Steam)
09/01 - Sorcery!: The Shamutanti Hills (Android)
15/01 - Donkey Kong Jr. (3DS)
15/01 - Mario Kart: Super Circuit (3DS)
15/01 - Warioware, Inc: Mega Microgame$! (3DS)
16/01 - Donkey Kong (3DS)
27/01 - Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike - Online Edition (PS3)
10/02 - They Breathe (Steam)
10/02 - Undertale (Steam)
28/02 - Nioh (PS4)
20/03 - The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild (Switch)
06/04 - Fast RMX (Switch)
09/04 - Graceful Explosion Machine (Switch)
17/04 - Mr. Shifty (Switch)
01/05 - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Switch)
22/05 - Injustice 2 (PS4) (Story Mode)
25/05 - Double Dragon (PS4)
25/05 - Double Dragon II: The Revenge (PS4)
26/05 - Double Dragon 3: The Rosetta Stone (MAME/RetroPie)
26/05 - Super Double Dragon (MAME/RetroPie)
29/05 - Injustice: Gods Among Us (Steam) (Story Mode)
20/06 - Yellow (Android)
22/06 - Double Dragon Advance (MAME/RetroPie)
24/06 - Injustice 2 (PS4) (All Characters Level 20)
26/06 - Injustice 2 (PS4) (All story + Battle Simulator endings)
27/07 - Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3 (PS4)
01/08 - Splatoon 2 (Switch)
02/08 - Tacoma (Xbox One)
02/08 - Tacoma (Xbox One) (1000G)
31/08 - Double Dragon Neon (Xbox One b/c)
31/08 - Double Dragon IV (PS4)
06/09 - Prey (PS4)
12/09 - The Binding Of Isaac: Afterbirth+ (Switch)
13/09 - Destiny 2 (PS4)
14/09 - Blade Runner (1997, PC)
18/09 - The Room (Android)
20/09 - The Room Two (Android)
21/09 - The Room Three (Android)
28/09 - Marvel Vs Capcom: Infinite (PS4) (Story Mode)
02/10 - Dishonored (Xbox One)
03/10 - Dishonored: The Knife Of Dunwall (Xbox One)

Figured I'd blast through the first game (and DLCs) before I start the sequel, and stand-alone DLC/expansion/thingy (Death Of The Outsider). A Clean Hands/Ghost/Shadow/Mostly Flesh And Steel run, of course!

Still a good-but-not-great- experience, but one that sets up a world from which I'm hoping Dishonored 2 flourishes. The Brigmore Witches stand in the way of that particular discovery though; I'd best deal with them first.
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

(Jan) Quantum Break - XB1.
(Jan) Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag - PS4.
(Jan) Adr1ft - PS4.
(Jan) Dear Esther - PS4.
(Jan) Virginia - PS4. (platinum).
(Jan) The London Heist - PSVR
(Feb) Flashback(2013) - PSN.
(Feb) Rain - PSN.
(Feb) Lara Croft & The Guardian of Light - PSN.
(Feb) Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II - PS3.
(Feb) Far Cry Primal - PS4.
(Feb) Bayonetta 2 - WiiU.
(Feb) Sniper Elite 3 - PS4.
(Mar) Life is Strange - PS4.
(Mar) Nier Automata - PS4.
(Mar) Halo 2:Anniversary - XB1.
(Mar) Guns, Gore & Canoli - PS4.
(Apr) Alien Breed Ep.3:Descent - Xbox 360.
(Apr) Horizon Zero Dawn - PS4.
(May) Battleborn - PS4.
(May) Diablo 3:RoS - PS4.
(May) Deadpool - PS4.
(May) The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing - PS4.
(June) Killing Floor 2 - PS4.
(June) Mirror's Edge: Catalyst - PS4.
(June) Mass Effect:Andromeda - PS4.
(June) Nex Machina - PS4.
(July) Rise of the Tomb Raider - PS4.
(Aug) Zombi - PS4.
(Aug) Injustice:Gods Among Us -PS4.
(Aug) Shadow Warrior 2 - PS4.
(Aug) Valiant Hearts - PS4.
(Aug) Uncharted:The Lost Legacy - PS4.
(Aug) Lara Croft & The Temple of Osiris - PS4.
(Sept) Game of Thrones - PS4.
(Sept) EVE:Gunjack - PSVR.
(Sept) Bioshock(Survivor difficulty) - PS4
(Sept) Eagle Flight - PSVR.
(Oct) Destiny 2 - PS4.
(Oct) Day of the Tentacle Remastered - VITA.
James

Post by James »

06/01 - Titanfall 2 (Xbox One)
08/01 - The Binding Of Isaac: Afterbirth+ (Steam)
09/01 - Sorcery!: The Shamutanti Hills (Android)
15/01 - Donkey Kong Jr. (3DS)
15/01 - Mario Kart: Super Circuit (3DS)
15/01 - Warioware, Inc: Mega Microgame$! (3DS)
16/01 - Donkey Kong (3DS)
27/01 - Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike - Online Edition (PS3)
10/02 - They Breathe (Steam)
10/02 - Undertale (Steam)
28/02 - Nioh (PS4)
20/03 - The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild (Switch)
06/04 - Fast RMX (Switch)
09/04 - Graceful Explosion Machine (Switch)
17/04 - Mr. Shifty (Switch)
01/05 - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Switch)
22/05 - Injustice 2 (PS4) (Story Mode)
25/05 - Double Dragon (PS4)
25/05 - Double Dragon II: The Revenge (PS4)
26/05 - Double Dragon 3: The Rosetta Stone (MAME/RetroPie)
26/05 - Super Double Dragon (MAME/RetroPie)
29/05 - Injustice: Gods Among Us (Steam) (Story Mode)
20/06 - Yellow (Android)
22/06 - Double Dragon Advance (MAME/RetroPie)
24/06 - Injustice 2 (PS4) (All Characters Level 20)
26/06 - Injustice 2 (PS4) (All story + Battle Simulator endings)
27/07 - Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3 (PS4)
01/08 - Splatoon 2 (Switch)
02/08 - Tacoma (Xbox One)
02/08 - Tacoma (Xbox One) (1000G)
31/08 - Double Dragon Neon (Xbox One b/c)
31/08 - Double Dragon IV (PS4)
06/09 - Prey (PS4)
12/09 - The Binding Of Isaac: Afterbirth+ (Switch)
13/09 - Destiny 2 (PS4)
14/09 - Blade Runner (1997, PC)
18/09 - The Room (Android)
20/09 - The Room Two (Android)
21/09 - The Room Three (Android)
28/09 - Marvel Vs Capcom: Infinite (PS4) (Story Mode)
02/10 - Dishonored (Xbox One)
03/10 - Dishonored: The Knife Of Dunwall (Xbox One)
05/10 - Dishonored: The Brigmore Witches (Xbox One)

The last of the DLCs complete. I very much enjoyed the additional stories, but I think it's quite telling that Arkane dropped the Flesh And Steel achievement for these DLCs; they really were designed to make use of Daud's abilities.

Might barrel straight into the sequel now, making for a very Arkane-heavy past month or so. :D
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

05/01 - Forza Horizon 3: Blizzard Mountain
15/01 - Odin Sphere Leifthrasir
17/01 - The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
25/01 - The Unfinished Swan
29/01 - Folklore
31/01 - Doom (Hurt Me Plenty)
04/02 - Gravity Rush 2
26/02 - Unravel
14/03 - Nier: Automata (Ending A)
20/03 - Nier: Automata (Ending B)
21/03 - Gravity Rush 2: Raven's Choice
24/03 - Nier: Automata (Ending C)
25/03 - Nier: Automata (Ending D)
25/03 - Nier: Automata (Ending E)
22/04 - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
27/04 - Dark Souls 3: The Ringed City (NG+ level)
28/04 - Kamiko
05/05 - The Witcher 3: Hearts of Stone
06/05 - Yakuza 0
09/05 - Forza Motorsport 6: Porsche Anthology
12/05 - Forza Horizon 3: Hot Wheels
19/05 - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (150cc)
01/06 - Rime
18/06 - Final Fantasy XV
03/07 - Stories: The Path of Destinies
25/07 - Splatoon 2 (Hero Mode)
31/07 - The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine
13/08 - Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
23/09 - Wolfenstein: The New Order
05/10 - Yakuza Kiwami

I ended up being a bit hot and cold on this one. Probably lower down the list in terms of my ranking of the series. Maybe even the lowest. Strange coming off from 0, which I think it probably my second favourite. Especially since the games share so much. This one still has the core of what makes these games good, but there were quite a few things that rubbed me the wrong way. A lot of it does feel very recycled, both from the original version and from 0. It doesn't quite feel "fresh". It is a little jarring seeing decade old animations on relatively new characters, especially when they're mixed in with new cutscenes that don't have that problem.

The use of the different fighting styles carried over from 0 don't really make a whole lot of sense in this game, but I suppose they're here for variety, which is welcome. I did enjoy having them all at my disposal. I wasn't fond of how it handled upgrading your Dragon style though at all, which was with the "Majima Everywhere" thing. It's fun to see more of Majima as a character, but having to fight him over and over gets pretty tiring after a while, especially since he has a lot of moves that can easily stun-lock you and an unfairly quick dodge too. It was also a massive pain to work out how to get the last handful of moves, with the very specific things it wants from you to unlock them. It ends up making the Dragon style lag way behind the others in terms of usability and effectiveness, making it pretty much useless until the late-game, and only if you really go out of your way to make it worth it. Majima is also a bit of a victim of the cobbled together mix of new and old. He behaves pretty differently between cutscenes from the original, and the newly added ones. The new stuff does kind of take away from impact from his side of the story too, as they had to somewhat clumsily write in reasons for him to be around at points he wasn't originally.

Similar to some of Majima's more frustrating abilities were some of the bosses and enemy encounters in the game. I ended up getting quite a lot of flashbacks to the points I didn't much care for in Yakuza 3. Namely, bosses that use guns, or can easily knock you down with certain weapons. I hate that crap so much, and ditching that in later games was one of the best choices they made. It's so annoying to get shot from off-screen, have to wait for Kiryu to fall over and stand up again, while you can do nothing, only to be knocked down again almost immediately after getting control back. Feels like a holdover from the original game that they really should have tweaked.

The story in general is also a bit weak compared to later games. It has its moments, and some good characters (like Majima), but overall it doesn't really get near the heights of later games. The twists and turns feel less considered, and less like surprising revelations when they do happen. Plot points that are supposed to be big and dramatic sometimes fall flat given how they are presented too. Probably an issue of carrying over the same cinematography and writing from the original cutscenes, but there were definitely moments that I felt like should have been a big deal, but I never really cared much about. The eventual antagonist who is behind everything at the end comes out of nowhere, and isn't a very interesting character to begin with. Nishikiyama is a fine character, but feels underutilised. He had a much better role in 0, and I was kind of disappointed they didn't add in a few extra lines or scenes calling back to that game to make his character this time around have more weight.

I hear from fans who played the original that it is generally accepted that the story of this one is a bit lacking though. Like it's something of a prototype, and 2 is when the series really gets in to its stride. The same was true for the mechanics, but given those were overhauled on this version, that is less of a concern. Either way, I'm looking forward to Kiwami 2 when that eventually comes over. That might have a similar problem of feeling like it's recycled from 6 and 2, but I think that has potential to feel a lot newer and more well rounded than this game.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

How does it compare to the original PS2 version of the game? I've not played that, but really enjoyed Zero, and will be playing this one at some point. It's kind of disappointing that it doesn't sound as good as I'd hoped it would be though. Is it literally just a remake of the first game or have they tacked on a load of stuff that messes with the story etc?
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Dark souls 3 with DLC(PC)-

Replaying this has certainlly been interesting and now Im pretty sure that gameplaywise this is the best souls game by far, just the variety of weapons, bosses, encounters,etc dwarfs every other game in the series and sure the game has it's bad areas like Irythill dungeon&Smoldering lake and it's shitty bosses like Wolnir and Yhorm. but comparing it to other games the ratio of good to bad has never been better then in DS3 I think that's undeniable, at the same time playing it again made me understand I think why many players found DS3 wanting despite being the best game of the series hands down and part of that is the fatigue thing I said awhile ago but also alot of the ideas here are recycled, more often then not they are reintroduced in better ways but it's hard to shake the feeling of "been there done that" and that extends through the whole game from areas to bosses to the story and lore, at least in a story sense part of that is intentional but it doesnt change that feeling. Just compare the reception of DS3 to BloodBorne, DS3 was tepid while BloodBorne was overwhelminglly positive and everyone was excited about it and I think a large part of it was because it felt so new and fresh, and in DS3 everything is very familiar even in the DLC, sure there are new things but they dont really stand out.

Personally my biggest problem with DS3 has to be the story/lore because honestly it just became bloody nonsense at this point, I played the game then watched some videos but still it just isnt doing it for me let's just say that there's a limit to how many secret daughters Gywn can have until it becomes ridiculous, the only things lorewise I really like in DS3 is the fate of the demons and Irythill and even then I have some reservations because it goes into retcon territory. To get pretentious for a second I think thematically the story does it's job, especially with the DLC, and it carries the whole existentialist philosophy of the series very well and the ending of the DLC is very fitting but I wish we got a final cutscene with it, It didnt need to be anything big, something short and vague would be fine but alas we only have a few lines of dialogue.

Now on the DLC itself I think Ashes of Ariandel is ok, I mean they needed to have another snow area if just to use frost effect more but it's pretty short and the beginning I dont like at all including the very lazy hidden boss fight, but the second part with the corvians is pretty good and it ends with what I think is my favorite boss in the series, Sister Friede!
I love everything about this boss: how it looks, the music, the moveset, how the fight progresses,etc. As far as Im concerned it's everything you want in boss in a game like this and I wont say anymore in case someone still hasnt played it.

The Ringed city has two new areas which are now my favorite areas in the whole game, in fact I think the dreg heap or something similar should've been a final area you had to traverse in the end of the base game and the ringed city itself is really awesome because it's actually a very varied enviroment, the enemies are some of the best in the series as well they are very unique looking and have some really interesting movesets, on the other hand they really seem to want to punish the player in this DLC for whatever reason, first you have these angel enemies that shoot throughout the level which is really annoying I dont understand how anyone thinks these type of enemies are good,it's a case of having to rush through the area and find the thing you need to kill so that then you can go back and explore, I dont find that fun in anyway especially when I am in one of the most impressive looking areas in the game and I cant look at it because Im running for my life.
Also like I mentioned before I think the bosses in Ringed City have too much health(funny because this is the opposite of my complaint of Nioh where I think bosses die too quicklly XD) Midir I already talked about but the last boss has also a bunch of hit points and I only realized how much when I went back to the base game and killed Nameless King and Soul of Cinder and boy that was a stark difference, I really dont see the need for giving them so many hit points, I've seen people defend this by saying that this "forces you to learn the fight and not out-estus the boss" but I dont buy it, Friede didnt have 1 million hit points and she's one of the hardest bosses in the game, same way Artorias or Kalameet in DS1 didnt have a million hit points either and they where plenty challenging so I dont get why these bosses here that have similar tricky and fast moves and deal a ton of damage need to have so much more hp. That being said the final boss of the DLC is up there as one of my favorite encounters, it's another one of those that I like everthing about, except the ridiculous amount of hp, let's just say that if you enjoyed the Artorias fight this guy wont disapoint.

PS: Unbreakable Patches is now my favorite NPC in any of the souls games and that's all.
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

(Jan) Adr1ft - PS4.
(Jan) Dear Esther - PS4.
(Feb) Rain - PSN.
(Feb) Lara Croft & The Guardian of Light - PSN.
(Mar) Halo 2:Master Chief Collection - XB1.
(May) Battleborn - PS4.
(May) Deadpool - PS4.
(Aug) Zombi - PS4.
(Oct) Destiny 2 - PS4.
(Oct) Halo 3:Master Chief Collection - XB1.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

05/01 - Forza Horizon 3: Blizzard Mountain
15/01 - Odin Sphere Leifthrasir
17/01 - The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
25/01 - The Unfinished Swan
29/01 - Folklore
31/01 - Doom (Hurt Me Plenty)
04/02 - Gravity Rush 2
26/02 - Unravel
14/03 - Nier: Automata (Ending A)
20/03 - Nier: Automata (Ending B)
21/03 - Gravity Rush 2: Raven's Choice
24/03 - Nier: Automata (Ending C)
25/03 - Nier: Automata (Ending D)
25/03 - Nier: Automata (Ending E)
22/04 - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
27/04 - Dark Souls 3: The Ringed City (NG+ level)
28/04 - Kamiko
05/05 - The Witcher 3: Hearts of Stone
06/05 - Yakuza 0
09/05 - Forza Motorsport 6: Porsche Anthology
12/05 - Forza Horizon 3: Hot Wheels
19/05 - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (150cc)
01/06 - Rime
18/06 - Final Fantasy XV
03/07 - Stories: The Path of Destinies
25/07 - Splatoon 2 (Hero Mode)
31/07 - The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine
13/08 - Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
23/09 - Wolfenstein: The New Order
05/10 - Yakuza Kiwami
06/10 - Hob

A very fun and solid little action adventure game. It doesn't really break any new ground anywhere, but is still great at what it is. As I've been finding with a lot of games I've been finishing lately, things I've said before in other threads still stand true, so I don't want to repeat myself too much. Very cool and mysterious atmosphere and a really nice and unique aesthetic to it. It's a lot of fun to explore around the world and uncover all its secrets, and to wonder about what the world is and how it works. It has a pretty cool mix of old-school Zelda and Metroidvania elements, and is pretty non-linear and minimalist when it comes to telling you what to do and making you do anything in particular. So it's a fun game to sit back and relax with, and progress at your own pace.
Alex79uk wrote: October 5th, 2017, 10:33 pm How does it compare to the original PS2 version of the game? I've not played that, but really enjoyed Zero, and will be playing this one at some point. It's kind of disappointing that it doesn't sound as good as I'd hoped it would be though. Is it literally just a remake of the first game or have they tacked on a load of stuff that messes with the story etc?
I haven't played the PS2 original either, so I can't really compare exactly. From what I gather, outside of the combat and some of the side activities carried over from 0, the game is more or less identical the original. Very little has changed at all. Outside of the Majima stuff (which isn't much to begin with), there's little if any change to the story. The only thing that I think might be new are a couple of scenes explaining what Nishiki is up to at a few points. That only really fills in blanks that should have been covered before, rather than changing anything significant. I'm not totally sure on that though, so don't take my word for it. But I'd say that in a technical sense the game is probably superior to the original, and overall it's not a bad game at all. It's still Yakuza. It's just the series has evolved a lot since then, and this one feels like it's less using those advancements to thoughtfully improve the original, and instead is just throwing a bunch of old stuff together for the sake of making that original game more accessible to a contemporary audience. Which is fine, just not ideal. The only thing that I think you could maybe say is worse is the slight discordance that Majima ends up having as a character, even though he's still entertaining.

If you want a proper overview of the game though, I would recommend HyperBitHero's video on the game (spoilers for some of the Majima stuff), which he did when the Japanese version originally came out. He's done a few videos talking about the series and is more or less the most comprehensive prominent source of information (and evangelicalism) on the series. Also perhaps worth noting is that there are a few odd differences between the Japanese and Western version of Kiwami. Really strange, mostly insignificant things, but stuff which I think might have at least some impact on certain moments in the game. For example that song at the start of the video, which is a remix of a pretty iconic song from the original, is nowhere in the Western version.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Great write ups on DS3 and Yakuza there guys :)
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Jan 2 - Everybody's Gone To The Rapture (PS4)
Jan 11 - very DOOM (PS4)
Jan 21 - The Last Guardian (PS4)
Jan 27 - Pokémon Sun (3DS)
Feb 9 - They Breathe (PC)
Feb 15 - Gravity Rush 2 (PS4)
Feb 19 - Gone Home (PS4)
Mar 11 - The Little Acre (PS4)
Mar 22 - Gravity Rush 2: Raven's Choice (PS4)
Mar 27 - Mega Man (3DS)
Apr 2 – Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney (Android)
Apr 4 - Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS4)
Apr 6 - The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D (3DS)
Apr 15 - Super Mario 3D Land (3DS)
Apr 15 - Rhythm Thief & the Emperor's Treasure (3DS)
May 18 - Mega Man 2 (3DS)(also Oct 5)
Jul 7 – Persona 5 (PS4)
Jul 9 – Puyo Puyo Tetris (PS4)
Jul 27 - Final Fantasy (Vita)
Aug 18 - Sonic Mania (PS4) (Sonic, Normal ending) (Aug 26 -Sonic, True Ending)
Sep 11 - Everybody's Golf (PS4) (Credits after beating Rank 6)
Sep 18 - Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (3DS)
I played through Mega Man 2 again after playing it in May for the first time. It really is a great game.

Oct 7 - Vib-Ribbon (Vita) (PS1 Classic)
I felt like playing something, cheery and delightful yesterday, so I downloaded Vib-Ribbon back onto the Vita and played through the six bouncy poppy tracks that come with the game.

Oct 8 - Yakuza 0 (PS4)
I finally dragged myself away from mini-games and side-quests to finish the main story. I usually don't go heavy on the side things in other series but for some reason I'm always excited to do things like racing toy cars in Yakuza (I actually finished all the races in Pocket Circuit). The main story was also great and I love its overdramatic style. Some people might find the combat too easy or repetitive but I love having some fun with all the moves and the multiple separate styles of combat for both characters increases this more.

Majima is awesome but given Scrustle's comments about the Majima Everywhere system in Kiwami, I'm a bit worried about him in that game now.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Same here, he seemed like such a strong, important character in 0, and he seems to have been turned in to some sort of comedy clown in Kiwami! Doesn't really fit at all!
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

5th January - Arkham Origins (Wii U)
12th January - The End of the World (Android)
18th January - Rayman Legends (Wii U)
31st January - Light House (Android)
1st February - Where shadows slumber (Android)
9th February - Pikmin 3 - Story mode (Wii U)
19th February - New Super Mario Bros. U (Wii U)
7th April - Deus Ex Go (Android)
19th June - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
20th June - Yellow (Android)
9th July - ARMS (Switch)
14th July - Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (Wii U)
20th July - Bulb Boy (Switch)
16th August - Shovel Knight (Switch)
29th August - Sonic Mania (Switch)
31st August - Splatoon 2 (Switch)
2nd October - Mario and Rabbids: Kingdom Battle (Switch)

9th October - Thimbleweed Park (Switch)

Thoroughly enjoyed this fresh take on the classic textadventure game. Multiple characters added variety to the humour, some very clever puzzles and a brilliant ending. One of my favourite in gaming possibly. Glad Ron Gilbert still got it.

Genre issues like being stuck on a puzzle for hours and trying random combinations still exist, but the clever hint system worked great and I used it whenever I knew what to do, but couldn't figure out which character to do it with.

Only had one issue where I missed a cut scene on parenting duties and became utterly stumped what to do next.

Remain intrigued by countless things I thought I had left to do in the game but never did... Could you drain that water? What does that bomb device do? Can I clear Willie's name? But guess they were red herrings...

If you're a fan of point n click adventures, or just good storytelling, I'd heartily recommend it.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

I'm not usually a fan of stealth-based games, but this and Deus Ex HR really hit the sweet spot for me this year - perhaps because they (along with MGSV) are quite easy? They are definitely a different proposition from the likes of Dishonored, where you always seem to be lurking, lurking, lurking.

I said previously that this was an inferior experience to Deus Ex HR; but I've revised that opinion. It's definitely a different game, with the levels being more expansive, but affected by the sheer amount of ways to access any one area. But both games were wonderful, and I really enjoyed them. I never bought them till they were deeply discounted, because I thought I wouldn't like them, and now I'm sad that there may not be any more.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Jan - Guilty Gear Xrd: Revelator
Jan - Mad Max
Jan - Streets of Rage 2
Jan - Guardian Heroes
Jan - Xcom 2 (+dlc)
Jan - Titanfall 2 (+online G6)
Jan - Shining Force
Jan - Street Fighter III: 2nd Impact
Jan - Street Fighter III: Third Strike Online
Jan - Mr Driller (2500ft)
Feb - Earthworm Jim Special Edition
Feb - Baku Baku
Feb - Day of the Tentacle Remastered
Feb - Resident Evil 7
Feb - Fire Emblem Heroes
Feb - The Last Guardian
Feb - Mercs
Feb - Doom
Feb - Wild Guns
Mar - Devils Third
Mar - The Wonderful 101
Mar - Nier: Automata (platinum)
Apr - Nier
May - Odin Sphere Leifthrasir (platinum)
May - Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
May - 1943: The Battle of Midway
May - Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown
May - Soul Calibur
May - Super Hang-On
May - Alex Kidd in Miracle World
May - Magic Sword
May - Soul Calibur 2 HD Online (arcade and main weapon master quest)
Jun - Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition
Jun - Under Night In-Birth EXE: Late
Jul - Yakuza 0
Jul - R-Type Dimensions
Jul - State of Decay: Year-One
Jul - Garou: Mark of the Wolves
Jul - Gears of War 4
Jul - Guwange (multiple modes, all three characters)
Jul - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
Jul - Guilty Gear Xrd -Sign-
Aug - Shining Force 2
Aug - Forza Horizon 3
Aug - BlazBlue: Central Fiction
Aug - Final Fantasy XV
Aug - Zombi
Aug - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition
Aug - Final Fantasy Type-0 HD (platinum)
Aug - Puyo Puyo Tetris
Aug - Root Letter (platinum)
Sep - Dishonored 2
Sep - Xenoblade Chronicles X
Oct - The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

19 Jan: Contra (arcade on PS4)
19 Jan: Contra (arcade on 360)
19 Jan: Super Contra (arcade on 360)
19 Jan: Street Fighter III: Third Strike Online Edition (360)
07 Feb: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii on Wii U)
01 Mar: The Little Acre (PC)
12 Mar: Chibi-Robo! (GC)
26 Mar: Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS4)
09 Apr: Gone Home: Console Edition (PS4)
16 Jun: The Witcher: Enhanced Edition (PC)
18 Jun: Nex Machina (PS4)
12 Jul: Puyo Puyo Tetris (NS)
29 Jul: FIFA 17: The Journey (XO)
01 Aug: Life Is Strange (PS4)
03 Aug: What Remains of Edith Finch (PS4)
13 Aug: The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings - Enhanced Edition (PC)
22 Aug: Double Dragon Neon (PS3)
23 Aug: Double Dragon II: Wander of the Dragons (360)
24 Aug: Double Dragon IV (PS4)
27 Aug: Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection: Mortal Kombat (360)
31 Aug: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (NS)
02 Sep: Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection: Mortal Kombat II (360)
28 Sep: Bayonetta 2 (WU)
12 Oct: Grim Fandango Remastered (PS4)
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Fragments of Him (PS4)

This is an odd one. It's a point and clicker, where you click on objects to advance the story, which is a short tale about the death of a young man and its effect on his closest friends and family. I suspect its effectiveness, and how the game is received, will differ greatly from person to person. It didn't quite work for me, as a game or as a story.
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

(Jan) Adr1ft - PS4.
(Jan) Dear Esther - PS4.
(Feb) Rain - PSN.
(Feb) Lara Croft & TGOL - PSN.
(Mar) Halo 2:Anniversary - XB1.
(May) Battleborn - PS4.
(May) Deadpool - PS4.
(Aug) Zombi - PS4.
(Oct) Destiny 2 - PS4.
(Oct) Halo 3: The Master Chief Collection -XB1
(Oct) Knack - PS4.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

14/10 Blazing Star (Switch)

15/10 Guwange (XB1 BC)

Incredible, mind-melting shmups.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Stanshall wrote: October 15th, 2017, 1:46 pm 14/10 Blazing Star (Switch)

15/10 Guwange (XB1 BC)

Incredible, mind-melting shmups.
I'll second that! :D