The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Suits

Re: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Post by Suits »

I don't know why I didn't know it already, or expect it but I tried to the put the Master Sword down while I had full health and lol'd at the result.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I even knew about it and yet still never did it, completely forgot because I didn't know how it worked. Obvious in hindsight.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

I'm wondering if I should tackle the boss soon? About to start my third Divine Beast and as I've unlocked over half the shrines now, the combat has gotten a lot easier. Don't want Ganon to be a walkover.

Worth doing all 4 first folks, or did you wade in earlier?

In other news, the Clan hideout stealth mission can do one. Only low point of the game to date...
Suits

Post by Suits »

Oooo, hard to say.

Having done the four Beasts and then take on Ganon, I'd say, for me it was more fulfilling from a story point of view rather than a difficulty thing.

Probably because by the time I took him on I was pretty prepared and tooled up anyway. In most games and this was the same, it's wasn't about something being hard, it was just about working it out.

I'd recommend doing all the Beasts on the fact that dugeons are all cool by themselves anyway and you'd not want to miss them.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I stumbled upon the final boss after three Beasts and got my shit pushed in. I'm sure if I came prepared with appropriate food and Ancient weaponry I'd have had a better crack but equally, I wasn't that committed to using all my resources when I wasn't really enthusiastic about rushing to the end.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Cheers guys. I read somewhere that the ending is different if you tackle it before you've done the Divine Beasts. Intriguing...
James

Post by James »

seansthomas wrote: April 24th, 2017, 9:29 pm Cheers guys. I read somewhere that the ending is different if you tackle it before you've done the Divine Beasts. Intriguing...
Makes sense that there'd be differences, given what the Divine Beasts are. I'm not sure either if collecting all Memories also changes the ending (it certainly adds to the story).

I'd heartily recommend finishing all Divine Beasts and collecting all Memories. The final boss will be easier or more difficult depending upon how prepared you are with meals, elixirs, armour and high-level weapons. You could always fight as naked, hungry Link, if you want to up the challenge. ;)

That said, (I hope it's not a spoiler to say) that after the credits you are dropped back into Hyrule and can tackle any unfinished missions. So, I think you could complete the final fight now and come back to the rest later (without having to restart). Not sure how the story would flow after that though.

Another option would be to get all your Divine Beasts and Memories on this playthrough, enjoy the spectacle of the end and then start a new 'skip to the end' run in which you get the challenge you're after. :twisted:
chase210

Post by chase210 »

I thought the divine beasts were necessary to get the master sword, I must confess.
James

Post by James »

Should have said, if anyone does feel my previous post is a little too close to the bone, spoiler-wise, please let me know. If you do, chances are someone else will and I can edit to hide/remove the offending parts.

I may well be being overly cautious here, but it's been a month and change since I "completed" BOTW, so it's difficult to judge what's brand new information and what's old hat, both on the forum and in the wider world.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Completing the memories quest does add a scene to the ending, yes.

But you should be aiming to finish that one anyway, it's worth it.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

On these memories - is literally the only thing to help you find them the pictures in the Sheikah Slate? That's a pretty needle-in-a-haystack task if that's the case no?

I've only stumbled across a couple in addition to the essentials you get while playing through the main quest line, but haven't set out to specifically hunt any down as of yet.

So who in the C&R community is still playing this? I'm still playing nothing else and sinking every minute of gaming time I get into it! Currently two Divine Beasts down, two to go, and definitely planning on sorting all four before tackling Ganon (although I didn't know you could go for him before doing the DBs to be honest...).
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

I''m still playing it but have taken a bit of a break since beating my first Divine Beast, I'm now dipping into PES while doing the Titanfall 2 campaign. I'll get back on Zelda soon!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Some tips for the memories quest for those struggling:
Spoiler: show
All but one of them you can work out just from what's in the picture.

You need to compare significant landmarks in the image with your map. (It helps a lot if you've practice doing this in real life, while out hiking etc...).

About half of them have Hyrule Castle in shot, so it's pretty easy to work out which side of the castle you should be on, and roughly where you are in relation to it vertically as well.

For others, look for significant landmarks. Is one of the divine beasts in shot? A particular mountain? A really flipping huge bridge? Also think in terms of what might look different now, something that isn't ruined in the photo might well be now.

The game will also help you out in other ways. Once you've spoken to the painter in Kakariko village at some point he will ask you to lead him to a fairy fountain that's nearby. Once you've done that side quest he'll start popping up at the various stables around Hyrule, and if you speak to him there he'll give a hint as to where one of your photographs might actually be. There's one where it's such a non descrip bit of forest that you'll almost never get it without his help (unless you stumble on it accidentally)

There's a final step after you complete the photos that I can offer a hint for if people are specially stuck on that part...
Suits

Post by Suits »

Flabyo wrote: April 26th, 2017, 12:12 pm Some tips for the memories quest for those struggling:
I didn't locate or even attempt to search for all of the memories in my first play through..

After beating the game I soon wanted to go back and collect these........ then finish it again.

I'll make sure to remember your post if I get stuck - I've not looked at it yet.
Sinclair Gregstrum

ThirdMan wrote: April 26th, 2017, 12:04 pmI'm also very impressed with how the game looks. I began playing it in handheld mode and while it's the best looking handheld I've played by quite a margin, I was still worried about how it would look on a big screen. But it's stunning.
It is stunning on big and small screens. I've played probably 50/50 handheld/TV and even on a 50 inch 4K screen it looks beautiful. I was worried that a 900p game stretched over that much real estate and resolution would suffer but not a bit of it. Just goes to show that people who get themselves all squiffy about these kinds of things really need to grow up...
Flabyo wrote: April 26th, 2017, 12:12 pm Some tips for the memories quest for those struggling:
Thanks for advice mate. You're first point about using hiking expertise was going to me my first port of call with it as it's something I do lot of, but didn't know about that second tip!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Even the ol' Wii U version is quite breathtaking (in my opinion).
:)
Sinclair Gregstrum

Yeah I've heard nothing but positive things about the Wii U version. Drop in resolution aside its apparently an identical experience which is great.
AndrewBrown

Post by AndrewBrown »

Got all 120 Shrines, got all the core quests completed (and all but five of the sidequests), and found enough Koroks to get all of the stash upgrades. I'm calling Breath of the Wild as complete as it's going to get. It took about 110 hours, and I'm exhausted.

I wonder what I'm going to play next!

*a hand from the shadows drops Dark Souls in my lap*

Oh, son of a—
Craig

Post by Craig »

A few thoughts on reading way too deep into the overall story themes -
The story can be seen as somewhat anaolgous to Nintendo itself.

To be victorious, Link must turn to the new generation. He is still supported and guided by the Gods of old, but in actually making his way through the journey, the young ones are making the differences in carrying on the legacy.

If we assume Link is Aonuma (because of course he would be), he also needs to remember back to long ago to recall important lessons from the past to help him in his journey. He was there too, long ago, but has since forgotten those times and must think back. (I've loved recent Zeldas, but they have become more and more removed from many older ideas of the franchise.)

Just some musings.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Craig wrote: May 18th, 2017, 2:20 pm A few thoughts on reading way too deep into the overall story themes -
The story can be seen as somewhat anaolgous to Nintendo itself.

To be victorious, Link must turn to the new generation. He is still supported and guided by the Gods of old, but in actually making his way through the journey, the young ones are making the differences in carrying on the legacy.

If we assume Link is Aonuma (because of course he would be), he also needs to remember back to long ago to recall important lessons from the past to help him in his journey. He was there too, long ago, but has since forgotten those times and must think back. (I've loved recent Zeldas, but they have become more and more removed from many older ideas of the franchise.)

Just some musings.
That's some grade A over-thinking there my friend. Love it ;)