The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
ThirdMan

Re: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Post by ThirdMan » March 19th, 2018, 11:55 pm

deacon05oc wrote:
March 19th, 2018, 5:57 pm
I’m new to Breath of the Wild. I’ve been playing for about 2 weeks now. Ive pretty much just have been traveling to towers and shrines. Any tips on what major thing to try to tackle? Also should I check out the expansion pass now? Or wait til I finish?
Defeat the four Divine Beasts. Each time you defeat one you're granted a special skill and those four skills will make exploration and combat a lot more enjoyable.

Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth » April 15th, 2018, 7:40 am

Silly question and may have already been covered.

I don’t own a switch but bought a Wii u last year. Aside from the obvious portability of the switch is there any reason to make the leap for this game is the Wii u version perfectly serviceable.

I’m aware of the merits of the switch but my vita still has plenty of life left in it for portable games playing

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » April 15th, 2018, 8:22 am

The WU version is almost equally wonderful, just lower res (720p) and apparently lacking a few subtle environmental sound effects.

ThirdMan

Post by ThirdMan » April 15th, 2018, 8:44 am

Simonsloth wrote:
April 15th, 2018, 7:40 am
Silly question and may have already been covered.

I don’t own a switch but bought a Wii u last year. Aside from the obvious portability of the switch is there any reason to make the leap for this game is the Wii u version perfectly serviceable.

I’m aware of the merits of the switch but my vita still has plenty of life left in it for portable games playing
I bought a Switch to play Breath of the Wild. It was my first NIntendo console. I put about 15 - 20 hours into it and loved every second, but eventually I sold the Switch (long story). In February I bought a Wii U to both play Breath of the Wild and have access to other Nintendo games. So I have experience playing BotW on both systems.

I've put over 70 hours into the Wii U version and I can assure you, it's way more than just serviceable. It's an outstanding game on the Wii U. Don't forget that BotW was meant to be a Wii U game all along, before eventually being positioned as a Switch title. So it feels like a game that was polished up to perform on a Switch, rather than one that was dragged down to squeeze onto the older machine.

It's definitely not one of those sub-par, cross-generation releases that we're used to seeing when a new generation of consoles are released. BotW on Wii U is a fabulous game.

There's some technical comparisons available online if you want to dig a bit deeper but, in summary, the Switch outputs at a higher resolution and the Switch's handheld mode offers the most stable framerate. The Wii U version does drop a lot of frames at times, especially in busy areas or when there's explosions on screen, but the Switch, when docked, had a similar problem, albeit not as noticeable. It's not a technical powerhouse on either machine.

It's all about the ideas, the systems and the gameplay and all of those factors absolutely sing on the Wii U.

I do have one complaint, however. It's not exclusive to the Wii U but does feel worse on that system. Motion control! There are a number of shrine puzzles that use the motion control on both systems. They are, hands down, the worst aspect of the entire game (for me, at least). They completely break up the flow of the gameplay. On the Switch I found them annoying, but not insurmountable. On the Wii U I found them excruciating and have skipped every single one. That's perhaps a very individual complaint but it would have been remiss of me not to mention it.

Anyway, that's my two cents. If you're itching to play BotW then go ahead and buy it.

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo » April 15th, 2018, 5:59 pm

I played it on the WiiU and it’s absolutely fine on there.

As others have said, this was built as a WiiU game and only ported up to Switch very late on.

Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth » April 15th, 2018, 9:41 pm

Thanks for the info everyone.

I remember buying twilight princess with my Wii and then regretting it because of all the waggling that the GameCube didn’t have.

Think I’ll go with the Wii U version