The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Craig

Re: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Post by Craig »

Bare in mind they also gave a perfect 10 for Skyward Sword which, as much as I am a defender of the game, I don't think that's quite deserved.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Craig wrote:Bare in mind they also gave a perfect 10 for Skyward Sword which, as much as I am a defender of the game, I don't think that's quite deserved.
That is a good point. Guess everyone makes mistakes...
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

The scans of the Edge review are floating about and it's like they can't even describe why it's so good. It seems there's a level of depth and creativity and sense of freedom we've never really experienced before in an open world game. For me, Skyrim/Oblivion has always been the high point of that 'you can go anywhere' sensation, with the music and weather and bleakness playing a large part, and then Far Cry 3 also had a great sense of 'this is a massive playground' before GTAV gave the idea a new level of environmental detail. I never really fell in love with the open world of The Witcher, as much as I did the cities and villages and interiors, but anyway, it sounds like this captures much of the above and more.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I ordered the WU version last night.
Excited even though I've just played every Zelda back-to-back over the past 18 months!
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I think you'll be all right, to be honest. The online retailers are all sold out but I very much doubt the stock issues will be like PSVR or the NES Classic. At the very least, even allowing for this so-called soft launch, they're going to want to pump these out in batches, as each new first party title lands.

And Leon, I was thinking about that only this morning, listening to the Zelda 2 show. You guys must be very familiar with the tropes by now! I picked up loads of the older games during the recent sale and thought I'd best not burn out on the formula but it's the only thing I can play to scratch that itch. Hoping to finally finish Ocarina by Friday and maybe squeeze in ALTTP too!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

ThirdMan wrote:Edge said the framerate of the WU version drops down into the teens. That's by no means a deal breaker (especially if you already own a WU!) but something to be aware of.
Yeah, my intention is to play it all over again on Switch when we inevitably cover it for the podcast in a year or two.
:)
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

ThirdMan wrote:I'm gonna go ahead and buy a Switch (it will be the first Nintendo console/game/product that I ever owned!).

The trouble is that payday is 4 weeks away. What's the chances of me being able to walk into a store and buy this off the shelf in April?
I think you'll be fine, mate. They'll want to restock for Mario Kart 8 deluxe and ARMS
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I've now played about an hour of the Wii U version and I am extremely positive about this game and very much looking forward to Friday. If I could sum it up in two words, I'd say confidence and balance. I expected it to feel somewhat outdated, open world-lite, but there are aspects of this which far exceed my expectations, and a lot more I didn't even expect. I can't wait to get home...
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

ratsoalbion wrote:I ordered the WU version last night.
Excited even though I've just played every Zelda back-to-back over the past 18 months!
Are you getting a Switch, Leon?
Craig

Post by Craig »

Full score in Famitsu, too.

Most reviewers are still under embargo but what they have been able to say is overall really positive.

There appears to still be some frame drops in the retail version if that bugs you. Apparently less so if played in handheld mode.

I've went straight past trying to justify the Switch to myself and just trying to hold off until when I'm going to buy it. Probably helps (or doesn't help) that when I talked about maybe getting it as a birthday present my wife said "But that's in August... can you wait that long?" So I have the spousal approval and a bonus this month. Must... wait...
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Alex79uk wrote:
Are you getting a Switch, Leon?
Oh for sure at some point, probably either around my birthday in June or in the run up to Christmas when Mario comes out.
:D
The Sonic Mole

Post by The Sonic Mole »

I'm interested to hear what you think of the Wii U version. I'm not going to be getting a Switch until at least my Birthday in November as with another baby on the way, a new console will not go down well with my wife! I'm desperate to play this one - although I'm actually a Zelda behind as I'm yet to play Skyward Sword - so the Wii U version seems like a my best option. Arrgh. Maybe I just need to ride out the wave of hype and wait? Or should I? Oh gawd...
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I've put a good six hours into the Wii U version now. I'll have the Switch tomorrow for comparison but I haven't had any meaningful issues at all. Admittedly, I'm not a hardcore frame nutter but it hasn't bothered me to go from 60 FPS Nioh to 30 FPS Wii U BotW, and if there have been any drops, they're immediately swept aside by the moment to moment experience of the game.

The game looks absolutely beautiful, absolutely stunning art direction. I'd say stuff like draw distance doesn't stand up to the likes of FFXV, distant textures are quite bland, but it suits the stylised aesthetic and there's so much richness and detail up close, the animation is just fantastic, that you barely notice that kind of thing. Also, the lighting and sky box and weather and so on is just bloody gorgeous. It's a beautiful game on the Wii U.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

It has arrived, it has been installed.
I shall report back with my early impressions.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I can't remember the last time I saw reviews like this.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Hot take (two hours or so): Genuinely astonishing (Wii U version).
The Zelda I always dreamed of in some respects.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

The reviews for this are just incredible! I'm trying not to read too much but even score surfing, it's just getting 10 after 10 after 10!

To have a game of this stature available on day one is a really special thing. Can't bloody wait for my copy and my shiny new Switch to turn up tomorrow :D
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

The fact my copy of Zelda has been dispatched placates me significantly from the Switch jealousy! Can't wait...
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Sinclair Gregstrum wrote:The reviews for this are just incredible! I'm trying not to read too much but even score surfing, it's just getting 10 after 10 after 10!

To have a game of this stature available on day one is a really special thing. Can't bloody wait for my copy and my shiny new Switch to turn up tomorrow :D
So my wife has just reminded me I have my Dad visiting from tomorrow. Staying until Monday. I love my Dad but......fuck!