The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Sinclair Gregstrum

Re: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

AndrewBrown wrote: April 30th, 2017, 7:30 am Got all 120 Shrines, got all the core quests completed (and all but five of the sidequests), and found enough Koroks to get all of the stash upgrades. I'm calling Breath of the Wild as complete as it's going to get. It took about 110 hours, and I'm exhausted.
Good effort Andrew.

I'm STILL chugging through. Nowhere near that level of completion and almost certainly never will be. Just been doing side quests as they pop up if they take my fancy. Doing a bit of memory searching but not breaking my back to get them all. If I see a shrine, I do it, but again not painstakingly searching for them all. Having quite a pleasantly organic experience with it really, just touring the world going where my curiosity takes me. So far that's meant three Divine Beasts down and I'm now on my way into the forest to hunt down the you-know-what.

For the first time I'm actually starting to feel a real impetus to see those credits roll though, so then I think I'm going to sort that final beast and it's off to Ganon! Probably get sidetracked plenty of times on the way mind...
AndrewBrown

Post by AndrewBrown »

Sinclair Gregstrum wrote: May 18th, 2017, 5:42 pm Just been doing side quests as they pop up if they take my fancy.
I think the sidequests might be the weakest part of the game, personally. They're just fetch quests, for the most part, and after a couple dozen hours I already had everything in my inventory most people were asking for. And the rupee rewards weren't really worth it. After a while I was only doing sidequests to see if they'd help me wander into a shrine.

There are exceptions, of course.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Sinclair Gregstrum wrote: May 18th, 2017, 5:42 pm
AndrewBrown wrote: April 30th, 2017, 7:30 am Got all 120 Shrines, got all the core quests completed (and all but five of the sidequests), and found enough Koroks to get all of the stash upgrades. I'm calling Breath of the Wild as complete as it's going to get. It took about 110 hours, and I'm exhausted.
Good effort Andrew.

I'm STILL chugging through. Nowhere near that level of completion and almost certainly never will be. Just been doing side quests as they pop up if they take my fancy. Doing a bit of memory searching but not breaking my back to get them all. If I see a shrine, I do it, but again not painstakingly searching for them all. Having quite a pleasantly organic experience with it really, just touring the world going where my curiosity takes me. So far that's meant three Divine Beasts down and I'm now on my way into the forest to hunt down the you-know-what.

For the first time I'm actually starting to feel a real impetus to see those credits roll though, so then I think I'm going to sort that final beast and it's off to Ganon! Probably get sidetracked plenty of times on the way mind...
I've been playing it in a similar way and I'll be honest, fatigue is setting in a bit now. 80 shrines, 150 odd korok seeds, 3 beasts, 90 odd hours...

First 50 hours of this game were totally amazing but it's felt very repetitious since. That's still a phenomenal achievement but I'm noticing patterns in structure now that slightly cheapen the experience.

Little things may have helped too; stables all looking a bit different, removing half of the 'test of strength' shrines, a few more unique enemy types in certain areas...

I think part of that fatigue has also been down to my last 20 hours having been spent in the desert, tundra and mountains which, Gerudo aside, have been incredibly barren.

This game is largely pretty spectacular (and some of the secret shrine puzzles have been excellent) but it still backs up my personal view that very few games ever warrant being longer than 40 hours long.

(Possible exceptions: Xenoblade Chronicles and maybe GTAV)
Suits

Post by Suits »

That's a very fair and interesting take on it Sean.

I agree that at times, it did feel as if it was about to start to drag for myself, at that point, I would actively change my approach and do something different.

Whether that's considered acceptable to then not call a game repetitious, or whether it's down to the personal player and how they use the tools available to them to manage it - it's an interesting point.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Suits wrote: May 19th, 2017, 9:30 am That's a very fair and interesting take on it Sean.

I agree that at times, it did feel as if it was about to start to drag for myself, at that point, I would actively change my approach and do something different.

Whether that's considered acceptable to then not call a game repetitious, or whether it's down to the personal player and how they use the tools available to them to manage it - it's an interesting point.
Don't get me wrong, it's a truly amazing game. I have no issue with the openness or loneliness in the most part, I just think despite the reviews all saying it doesn't suffer from the flaws of games like ACreed where it gets samey, it sort of does. But reviewers weren't to know that as they reviewed it 30-40 hours in before that kicks in.

A sequel gets me really excited already. Think this is an amazing leap forward, but it could be improved on in time (proper fishing!). But no real rush for me to do that; park it for 4-5 years now.

I'm off to the NE part of the map now though which looks a bit more populated and varied. I've missed greenery!

And even in those areas I found a bit dull, I found some wonderful moments to cherish such as mythical moonlight creatures, horses lost to travellers tales, underground temples full of malfunctioning guardians and a giant maze.

It's a hugely ambitious game that the industry will be struggling to catch up with for years. There's a great Games Informer podcast actually where they invite some game developers on to discuss it. The general gist is 'WHERE DID THIS COME FROM AND HOW DID THEY DO IT?!?'

I genuinely think the answer to that in part lies with the Monolith Soft team that came on board as this game literally smashes the very best parts of Xenoblade Chronicles and XC X into one game (albeit sadly without such varied environments and enemies) and throws in the most varied and clever physics engine ever. I reckon one day there'll be a great insider piece about their involvement. If you've played those games, this game is littered with ideas from them; from rebuilding towns, fighting mechanical enemies once your friends with a blue sword, piecing a story together via lost memory cut scenes, twinkling items discreetly guiding you to your next destination, the landscape being designed to indicate where the next secret lies, collectopedia, warp landmarks, etc. It's unbelievably similar in structure.
Craig

Post by Craig »

One issue I think it has is that the further you progress, the easier it becomes. Settlements of moblins were such a big and daunting thing at first - I had to check out the environment and think how to do it.

Later on? I could just run past them, or know if I just charge in I could take them. The more you play, the more rewarded you are, the less you have to consider a lot of things.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Craig wrote: May 19th, 2017, 11:48 pm One issue I think it has is that the further you progress, the easier it becomes. Settlements of moblins were such a big and daunting thing at first - I had to check out the environment and think how to do it.

Later on? I could just run past them, or know if I just charge in I could take them. The more you play, the more rewarded you are, the less you have to consider a lot of things.
Yeah, and that would have been an easy fix for me. Stick a shrine in the centre of it with the enemies all around it armed with better weapons and more varied tactics. A bit like how you got to the second island of Far Cry 3 and suddenly your tactics and weapons were defunct. Could have just had a few of these harder settlements dotted around the place so there was a reason to return later on.
Craig

Post by Craig »

To be fair, I still leg it when I see a Lynell.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Craig wrote: May 20th, 2017, 11:46 am To be fair, I still leg it when I see a Lynell.
Yeah! I managed to weirdly beat one with only 5 hearts about 15 hours in. Not been able to remotely scratch one since.
Suits

Post by Suits »

:lol: Yeah, me too. The one in the colosseum still owns me.

I've not touched the game now for about a month I think and I'm starting to do that reflection thing where you look back at games. It's truely one the most enjoyable games I've ever played, with some of the most engaging game exploration I've ever played.

I've still got a few of the riddle Shrines to find before I have them all but I'm stumped by them and too proud to look them up in the internet :lol: .
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Suits wrote: May 21st, 2017, 8:23 am :lol: Yeah, me too. The one in the colosseum still owns me.

I've not touched the game now for about a month I think and I'm starting to do that reflection thing where you look back at games. It's truely one the most enjoyable games I've ever played, with some of the most engaging game exploration I've ever played.

I've still got a few of the riddle Shrines to find before I have them all but I'm stumped by them and too proud to look them up in the internet :lol: .
I've avoided online for the most part. Did have a look at one shrine puzzle though. I knew I was in the right place and was doing the right thing, but it just wouldn't unlock. Turned out I'd just missed shooting one rock with a bomb arrow.

And there was one that I just could not do, where you have to use wind to get to a very high point. After two hours of trying I was convinced my game was bugged. Of course, it wasn't and I ended up feeling stupid.
Suits

Post by Suits »

seansthomas wrote: May 21st, 2017, 9:29 am And there was one that I just could not do, where you have to use wind to get to a very high point. After two hours of trying I was convinced my game was bugged. Of course, it wasn't and I ended up feeling stupid.
I think I know the one you mean.

That had me for a while too, until I left then went back to it.

Still had no idea.

Then I started to mess about and went a bit off track - then I noticed it :lol: .

I've got the offical collectors hard back book, to which I've used the map in to pinpoint locations of Shrines I've missed and mark them on my in game map. Even then it's hard to still find them. I only did that after I'd finished the game mind.

But that's it regards help, I had a wonderful time with the game and most of the issues I hear people talk about I feel are just and fair.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Suits wrote: May 21st, 2017, 9:40 am
seansthomas wrote: May 21st, 2017, 9:29 am And there was one that I just could not do, where you have to use wind to get to a very high point. After two hours of trying I was convinced my game was bugged. Of course, it wasn't and I ended up feeling stupid.
I think I know the one you mean.

That had me for a while too, until I left then went back to it.

Still had no idea.

Then I started to mess about and went a bit off track - then I noticed it :lol: .

I've got the offical collectors hard back book, to which I've used the map in to pinpoint locations of Shrines I've missed and mark them on my in game map. Even then it's hard to still find them. I only did that after I'd finished the game mind.

But that's it regards help, I had a wonderful time with the game and most of the issues I hear people talk about I feel are just and fair.
I definitely think part of the fug I've been in of late has been due to the terrain I've been wading through. I'm around Akkala now and it's great. Got side quests, settlements, curious landmarks and distant shrines to go explore left, right and centre.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

I know the wind / high point shrine you're on about, that got me too.

I've looked at walkthroughs for a few shrines, no shame in it - some solutions I know wouldn't have just come to me without hours and hours of pissing around getting frustrated, which is time I just don't have anymore. The majority I work out on my own, but some are a little obtuse and when I've looked it up I'm sat thinking 'I was never going to realise I had to do THAT'.
Suits

Post by Suits »

hazeredmist wrote: May 21st, 2017, 12:02 pm The majority I work out on my own, but some are a little obtuse and when I've looked it up I'm sat thinking 'I was never going to realise I had to do THAT'.
Yeah, I've had quite a few 'Oh Riiiiiight' moments.

There was one shrine, which I think I've already mentioned in this thread, where I was stuck on it, so left it. When I went back to it after I'd finished the game, I spent ages coming up with a strategy for it, did it, then went and looked up how others had done it.

When I saw how it was 'supposed' to be done, I lol'd as it showed me something I had no idea you could do to part of the environment !
Suits

Post by Suits »

As the time draws closer to the release of the first DLC (Friday) and more details come out about what's included, I have to admit I'm quite looking forward to it and jumping back in after almost two months away.

I still have about 8 Shrines to complete, a few locations to find and some quests to snuff out, which I was purposely not racing to finish in the hope it would flesh out any future DLC and still leave me with things to do in case it was content light.

Most will probably agree that the serious DLC is coming later in 2017 with the 2nd pack but I think I'm ready to strap my Hyrulian shield to my back again and set out once more.
James

Post by James »

Yep, I couldn't agree more. I found all Shrines, but still have a handful of Side Quests to tackle and about 7 million Kurok Seeds to find. I haven't touched it since the third week in March and can't wait to dive back in. :D
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Is getting the game 3 months after release being late to the party? Certainly feels that way.

Retreading old ground now: I did the plateau part back when the game (and Switch) came out, at my friend's place. Remember taking ages to hunt down a boar in the forest. This time I p'd one off after hurting it and he came in charging. So I pulled out my claymore and took him out with a giant swing, when he was about to ram into me. One piece of raw meat!
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

I tried to fight my first Lynel today.
Spoiler: show
You know, the one that patrols the pathway behind the Eastern Gate leading to Mt. Lanayru.
I entered the battle with 5 hearts and fully decked out in a one time upgraded Hylian Armour. I used a combination of shock arrows and a Fire Blade, but he still wasn't having it. These beasts are FIERCE!
Suits

Post by Suits »

I'm jealous of the fact that you have so much of that wonderful world still ahead of you.

Fantastic, fantastic game.