The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Sinclair Gregstrum

Re: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Played 20 hours and not got anywhere near a Divine Beast yet...
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I did my first one at about 30 or so hours.
Suits

Post by Suits »

My biggest gap was probably about 50 or so hours between numbers 2 & 3.

First one I did fairly early on I think, without knowing what they were all about or what they meant.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I'm about the same as you, Suits. Just did my third this morning, probably the most difficult one, too. I got a shock. I also struggled with the basic mechanic of finding my way to the points of interest, like, I found I'm not great with spacial stuff on that particular plane. I quite like that completing one of the beasts first allows for a certain amount of sequence breaking in the others, or at least it feels that way. I'm being as vague as possible here. I'm not sure whether it's true but it does feel like you're allowed to traverse in ways where you'd normally expect an invisible wall or something.

OK, now I'm waffling.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Suits wrote: April 7th, 2017, 3:54 pm Does anyone know what the multiplier figure next to them means or represents ?
Spoiler: show
Number of charges of the ability it corresponds with. Get hit a few times with the Goron one activated and watch what changes.

Mipha's grace only ever has one charge, but the others go higher if you don't use them for a while. I think the Goron one goes up to three?
Suits

Post by Suits »

Ah that makes sense.

A downside to the Pro HUD I supppse.

Cheers man.
Craig

Post by Craig »

I've been playing a while but didn't really think for that long. I've not done any of the beasts, just found the master sword but can't get it yet.

Checked my playtime - 30 hours.

I was honestly shocked. It's so easy to spend a lot of time in this game, and I feel like I've got so much more to do. I haven't even been to half the map.

Also, take off your clothes and talk to Hetsu. Do it now.
James

Post by James »

All Shrines, all Divine Beasts, credits seen and... ~32% completion.

130 hours. :o
Suits

Post by Suits »

Wow, all Shrines - good going.

Did you find them all naturally or did you resort to using a guide towards the end ??
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Noob alert - how do you check your playtime in the game?
James

Post by James »

hazeredmist wrote: April 9th, 2017, 11:15 am Noob alert - how do you check your playtime in the game?
I don't think you can. On Switch, your user profile includes play time for your most recently played games, so long as it's been 10 days or more since you first played it. At which point, it no longer shows when you first started the game. Classic Nintendo! :roll:

To be fair, I haven't checked whether or not the stats change after you've completed the game. I do know the map shows completion percentage, and the quest log shows how many of the main/side/shrine quests you've done, so it's possible that the stats screen also changes.
James

Post by James »

Suits wrote: April 8th, 2017, 2:12 pm Wow, all Shrines - good going.

Did you find them all naturally or did you resort to using a guide towards the end ??
I found all but 12 manually (organically, or via quests), then another 11 using the Sheikah Sensor and had to resort to a shrine-by-shrine comparison to a map in order to find the last one. I'll pop the total number in a spoiler tag below, in case anyone doesn't want to know.
Spoiler: show
It's 120 in total!
As I have with Souls and Bethesda games in the past, I picked up the official guide. I've learned from experience (hello, Skyrim) not to wait until I've completed the game, but still make sure not to crack the spine until I see credits at the very least. The guide for BOTW is quite exceptional, with maps and info that show just how much there is in the game.

In 130hrs, there are still enemy/animal types that I haven't seen. Quite enough, in fact, that I plan on going back in after a little break to play some other stuff. :-D
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Cheers James.

How do you actually "use" the Sheikah sensor? I just use it like binoculars but you can't seem to see anything more than you do just by looking around on top of the towers (eg. if you can see orange I find you can already see it when not using the sensor, I just use the sensor to mark things), is there something I'm missing?
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

I'm at a point with this, where I could just go and complete it, but I'm happy to explore and finish up the shrines in the coming months. :)
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

hazeredmist wrote: April 10th, 2017, 10:39 am Cheers James.

How do you actually "use" the Sheikah sensor?
Have you progressed the quest lines enough to get the upgrade that makes it beep when you're near a shrine? Cause I think that's what he's referring to.
James

Post by James »

Okay, so I thought it detected Shrines by default and added the ability to select other stuff later on in the questline. I might be wrong about that, sorry. I seem to remember it activating after I reached my second tower (first after leaving the Great Plateau), because I immediately turned it off.

In terms of how to use it, it needs to be switched on from the map screen (I think you press 'Y' to toggle, it's shown at the bottom right). Once on, a little radar icon appears on the HUD (again, bottom right, near the mini-map - if you still have that on).

When you start moving (no binoculars required) it will beep and light up strongly if you are moving in the correct direction. It behaves a little like a metal detector, but you have to be moving and it can get a little obnoxious and temperamental when you are close to a Shrine.

Hope that helps. I'm pulling this all from few-weeks-old memories, so apologies for any/everything I got wrong. :?
Suits

Post by Suits »

James wrote: April 10th, 2017, 9:29 am As I have with Souls and Bethesda games in the past, I picked up the official guide. I've learned from experience (hello, Skyrim) not to wait until I've completed the game, but still make sure not to crack the spine until I see credits at the very least. The guide for BOTW is quite exceptional, with maps and info that show just how much there is in the game.
My wife picked me up the same one I think, with the wonderful sunset art on the cover with Link scaling that cliff face ??

Now, I've not touched it, as you suggested and was waiting to beat Gannon before delving into it.

I'm thinking I might roll the credits, then play something else for a while, then go back to it and finish off the Shrines etc...
James

Post by James »

That's more or less what I did, but I couldn't stop myself nabbing the last 12 Shrines, so much fun had they been. :)

Yep, I have the same guide. It's a quite beautiful cover!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I found myself at the Gerudo oasis last night. So pretty!

Now I have appropriate attire I can apparently head into the sacred town...
Suits

Post by Suits »

ratsoalbion wrote: April 10th, 2017, 1:27 pm Now I have appropriate attire I can apparently head into the sacred town...
....where you can find a variety of beautiful fabrics and fabulously colour'd alternatives ;) .