The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
Suits

Re: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Post by Suits » May 21st, 2017, 12:17 pm

hazeredmist wrote:
May 21st, 2017, 12:02 pm
The majority I work out on my own, but some are a little obtuse and when I've looked it up I'm sat thinking 'I was never going to realise I had to do THAT'.
Yeah, I've had quite a few 'Oh Riiiiiight' moments.

There was one shrine, which I think I've already mentioned in this thread, where I was stuck on it, so left it. When I went back to it after I'd finished the game, I spent ages coming up with a strategy for it, did it, then went and looked up how others had done it.

When I saw how it was 'supposed' to be done, I lol'd as it showed me something I had no idea you could do to part of the environment !
Xbox - Suits
PSN - Suterovich
Nintendo Switch - SW-0866-4803-1890
N3DS - 5370-1662-1949

Suits

Post by Suits » June 28th, 2017, 8:32 pm

As the time draws closer to the release of the first DLC (Friday) and more details come out about what's included, I have to admit I'm quite looking forward to it and jumping back in after almost two months away.

I still have about 8 Shrines to complete, a few locations to find and some quests to snuff out, which I was purposely not racing to finish in the hope it would flesh out any future DLC and still leave me with things to do in case it was content light.

Most will probably agree that the serious DLC is coming later in 2017 with the 2nd pack but I think I'm ready to strap my Hyrulian shield to my back again and set out once more.
Xbox - Suits
PSN - Suterovich
N3DS - 5370-1662-1949

James

Post by James » June 29th, 2017, 8:41 am

Yep, I couldn't agree more. I found all Shrines, but still have a handful of Side Quests to tackle and about 7 million Kurok Seeds to find. I haven't touched it since the third week in March and can't wait to dive back in. :D
PSN/Steam/Twitter/XBL: CarterCommaJ
Switch: SW-8371-1114-5370

Michiel K

Post by Michiel K » July 11th, 2017, 10:44 am

Is getting the game 3 months after release being late to the party? Certainly feels that way.

Retreading old ground now: I did the plateau part back when the game (and Switch) came out, at my friend's place. Remember taking ages to hunt down a boar in the forest. This time I p'd one off after hurting it and he came in charging. So I pulled out my claymore and took him out with a giant swing, when he was about to ram into me. One piece of raw meat!

Michiel K

Post by Michiel K » July 24th, 2017, 7:19 pm

I tried to fight my first Lynel today.
Spoiler: show
You know, the one that patrols the pathway behind the Eastern Gate leading to Mt. Lanayru.
I entered the battle with 5 hearts and fully decked out in a one time upgraded Hylian Armour. I used a combination of shock arrows and a Fire Blade, but he still wasn't having it. These beasts are FIERCE!

Suits

Post by Suits » July 24th, 2017, 9:33 pm

I'm jealous of the fact that you have so much of that wonderful world still ahead of you.

Fantastic, fantastic game.
Xbox - Suits
PSN - Suterovich
N3DS - 5370-1662-1949

Michiel K

Post by Michiel K » July 25th, 2017, 1:21 pm

I feel you. It's pure magic. Normally I sit down with a new home console Zelda game and play it until I finish it, but this one is different and I really don't want to rush my way through it, so I think I'm going to savour it for the full shelf life of the Switch and will only march on Hyrule castle when Nintendo's next system, or a new Zelda game, is around the corner.

Michiel K

Post by Michiel K » August 21st, 2017, 10:58 am

Did the stealth section in Breath of the Wild and it made me realise a few things about my relationship with stealth action in games.

I do like stealthing when, for example, approaching to take out an enemy camp in Far Cry, or Breath of the Wild. Maximising my advantage that way by taking out certain threats and getting the drop on enemies etc.

But when it comes to the ol' studying patrolling guard routines, sneaking past them and staying unseen at all costs, it heavily grates on my patience. Maybe because you have to do a lot of observing first, which brings everything to a grinding halt.

That said, this section becomes quite fun once you realise there is a bit of an easy puzzle solution to it, same with many situations in Breath of the Wild.
You can lure guards off their patrol routes with a certain item and then sneak strike them. I left only two guards alive, simply because I was close to my goal and didn't want to risk flubbing my bait and strike routine.

seansthomas

Post by seansthomas » August 22nd, 2017, 10:00 am

Michiel K wrote:
August 21st, 2017, 10:58 am
Did the stealth section in Breath of the Wild and it made me realise a few things about my relationship with stealth action in games.

I do like stealthing when, for example, approaching to take out an enemy camp in Far Cry, or Breath of the Wild. Maximising my advantage that way by taking out certain threats and getting the drop on enemies etc.

But when it comes to the ol' studying patrolling guard routines, sneaking past them and staying unseen at all costs, it heavily grates on my patience. Maybe because you have to do a lot of observing first, which brings everything to a grinding halt.

That said, this section becomes quite fun once you realise there is a bit of an easy puzzle solution to it, same with many situations in Breath of the Wild.
You can lure guards off their patrol routes with a certain item and then sneak strike them. I left only two guards alive, simply because I was close to my goal and didn't want to risk flubbing my bait and strike routine.
If you're in the hideout area, then yeah... that drove me mad too. I hate stealth like that too.

I bought the DLC last week but am struggling to find time to tackle it. Making death final is pretty tough. I get to round 9 or 10 of the trial then die consistently.
SW-5494-0936-1889

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » August 22nd, 2017, 7:24 pm

I've barely touched DLC 1, partly because I'm a little burned out on the game at 100 hours, but also because I think by the time DLC2 arrives, I'll have a hell of a lot of game to play, and with a pretty refreshed approach. I do hope they pull something meaty out of the bag. It will cap an absolutely sensational year for first party Nintendo games.

davelawrence8

Post by davelawrence8 » August 23rd, 2017, 8:18 pm

Since May, when I picked up the Switch, it's been the summer of Zelda for me, and it's all Breath of the Wild's fault.

I love Zelda games, but this has been a wonderful experience – something I haven't felt since I first played A Link to the Past when it first came out as a kid. That game changed my life, and I'm starting to feel like this one is going to have a similar pull. The exploration part of Zelda games is what attracted me so; this one has it in spades.

I really look forward to the Cane and Rinse episode covering this game. And I do hope the music gets some attention as well. Here lately, I've been playing the Hateno Village theme on repeat, and can't get enough.

All the Divine Beasts are done, Master Sword is pulled, approaching 90 shrines (and taking my time), and in no hurry to finish the game. I think I'll finish it right before the DLC2 comes out, and then continue on with that.

I'm content to wander.

Michiel K

Post by Michiel K » August 26th, 2017, 11:06 am

davelawrence8 wrote:
August 23rd, 2017, 8:18 pm
I love Zelda games, but this has been a wonderful experience – something I haven't felt since I first played A Link to the Past when it first came out as a kid.
That's exacty how I feel. And I haven't felt anything similar playing any game since '92. :) What I mean is this very particular sense of childlike wonder and rewarding exploration, where every bit of the expansive game world holds a wondrous dicovery and/or something highly interactive. The post-GTA 3 and Morrowind open world games feel like set dressing and background scenery, in comparison to this very tangible and texturous version of Hyrule.

Yesterday I scouted out a faraway oasis in the Gerudo Desert and
I didn't know what hit me when I was suddenly attacked by a huge sand monster
!

My young kids are totally caught up in it too, both with their own save game. Just wandering off and discovering things and I can just imagine how they're experiencing it all. This is the first time they are completely absorbed in a single video game.

That Hateno Village theme sounds like home, because, well... I bought a house there, :)

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » August 26th, 2017, 11:53 am

Michiel K wrote:
August 26th, 2017, 11:06 am
My young kids are totally caught up in it too, both with their own save game. Just wandering off and discovering things and I can just imagine how they're experiencing it all. This is the first time they are completely absorbed in a single video game.
That's wonderful, man. Must be a very touching experience for you. :)

Michiel K

Post by Michiel K » August 28th, 2017, 10:37 pm

Definitely is!

davelawrence8

Post by davelawrence8 » September 5th, 2017, 4:34 pm

Michiel K wrote:
August 26th, 2017, 11:06 am
The post-GTA 3 and Morrowind open world games feel like set dressing and background scenery, in comparison to this very tangible and texturous version of Hyrule.
It's tough to go back to these "open world" games, even past Zelda games, where not every inch is explorable/climbable. It's so restricting, despite how "open" they look.

Thanks man!

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » September 12th, 2017, 2:32 pm

Finished this finally. What an incredible game.
3DS friend code: 4141-3447-2734 - Nintendo/PSN/Xbox/Steam ID: hazeredmist
http://www.redmistrecordings.co.uk / http://www.bassdrive.com / http://www.twitter.com/hazeredmist

Suits

Post by Suits » February 2nd, 2018, 7:55 am

This is really cool, I'd be lying if I said the time it takes is off-putting :lol: .

https://imgur.com/gallery/b9BR6
Xbox - Suits
PSN - Suterovich
N3DS - 5370-1662-1949

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » February 2nd, 2018, 10:12 am

Whoa, impressive!

kintaris

Post by kintaris » February 2nd, 2018, 2:31 pm

I'm having a really weird time with Breath of the Wild.

I have now tried to get fully invested in it three times. Every time I find the design and atmosphere mesmerising. But then I get distracted by another game, even for a moment... and I don't find I return to Zelda for months on end. Eventually I feel like giving it another go on a whim, and I again get that wonderful gut-punch of how astonishing it all looks and feels.

I wonder if somehow I like what the game is on the surface, but the actual act of playing it is... not bad, but clearly not gripping me either. Perhaps all I'm really getting is that initial "wow" hit, and it takes a few months for me to forget how lovely it looks and sounds.

A weird one for me.
Sam Quirke - @kintaris

deacon05oc

Post by deacon05oc » March 19th, 2018, 5:57 pm

I’m new to Breath of the Wild. I’ve been playing for about 2 weeks now. Ive pretty much just have been traveling to towers and shrines. Any tips on what major thing to try to tackle? Also should I check out the expansion pass now? Or wait til I finish?