Mass Effect: Andromeda

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alex79

Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda

Post by Alex79 »

KSubzero1000 wrote: May 19th, 2018, 8:18 am Interesting, thanks.

My personal experiences with the series are limited to playing a few hours of the first one and getting bored and frustrated with it, but I think it's an interesting universe / franchise with a lot of untapped potential that I wouldn't mind seeing explored in a new fashion. Perhaps a more polished smaller scale RPG with less moving parts, or even a new genre entirely?
I really have to disagree with that! I think the Mass Effect universe is so rich, easily on par with Star Wars or any other big Sci fi franchise. All the races, planets, characters, I think it's potential is anything but untapped. I do think that's a bizarre statement to make based on your own admission of only playing a few hours of the first game. It grew in to something so much more.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

But... I do agree that the universe is really rich and I've actually spent more time reading various article on the wiki than playing the game itself. What I meant by untapped potential is that I think the series could potentially branch out of the TPS-RPG genre and take a different look at the existing universe. Instead of going bigger and more diluted, why not go smaller and more idiosyncratic?

What about a Professor Layton-style detective game that would allow us to dive headfirst into the political shenanigans of the various factions and races? The game would focus on the dialogue and intergalactic travel aspects.

What about a tycoon or RTS set in the past, maybe leading to the formation of the Council?

I really didn't mean to be dismissive of the franchise as a whole, quite the contrary. I meant that the universe has more potential than the side we saw in the Shepard trilogy. My personal impression is that the games were sometimes held back by their second rate TPS combat engine. It's a giant and fascinating universe, and I'd love to see a different studio or director take a shot at it. The official Mass Effect timeline stretches as far back as prehistoric times, surely there are a few more stories left to tell. How about one that doesn't even focus on human characters in the first place?
macstat

Post by macstat »

I actually agree with Sub-Zero. Its often problem with games that promise interstellar scale of epicness but you get a corridor game for the most part. Potential is definitely there but outside fo couple great races (basically all main races are really well done) this galaxy is empty and stories told have a lot of room for expanding/polishing.
I think that comparison of Dune (as a franchise) is great cause it was committed to that one planet/ecosystem and it managed to make it more vibrant in my opinion. In that sense, you could make a Mass Effect game only about Geth rebellion and it potentially could be more coherent self-contained and detailed production. This is what I see as an untapped potential.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

This is 9.99 euros on PSN right now, so prob 7.50 GBP
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

£6.49. Insane in the membrane.