Video recording on older hardware?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
KSubzero1000

Video recording on older hardware?

Post by KSubzero1000 »

So I feel like I've been spoiled by the built-in recording feature of the PS4 at this point, and I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with video and audio recording on older, non-PC hardware? I'm sure it would be a breeze on PC due to capture cards and various downloadable softwares, but how exactly does it work on consoles? Is there such a thing as a universal, easy-to-use recording device on the market nowadays? I'm far from a tech genius, so layman-friendly explanations would be appreciated.
Beck

Re: Video recording on older hardware?

Post by Beck »

Hi K Sub,

I toyed around with an elgalto HD 60 for a couple months, great gadget but I quickly found that video editing is far more time consuming than audio. The HD 60 captures PS4, Xbox one, Xbox 360 and Wii u without problem. The PS3 requires a HD splitter, there are loads of videos on youtube on how to do it.

Here is a couple video I captured with the hd 60 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uesf3bI ... 9AH1YcySrc

It's quite simple to setup, basically the capture card comes with a HDMI cable and a USB cable. You install the free software on your pc or mac, connect the capture card via usb and then select the quality settings and the device you want to capture. It has presets which you can toy around with for each console. You then remove the HDMI cable from console to the tv at the TV end and plug it into the capture card. You run a second hdmi cable from the capture card to the TV and bingo.

Things to note, my PC is quite old and rubbish, it managed to record at nearly top settings (as seen above.) The videos can be quite big, make sure you've got a big enough hard drive. Check that the elgalto will run on your PC, whilst my PC is old, it doesn't like all processors. The free software allows you to edit, add splash screens round the side and even stream live if you choose to. In the PS4 you have to turn on a setting to allow external recording, doing so blocks you from watching any tv such as netflix until you turn the setting off. That quickly became a pain. You can also record chat over the top via the PC, recording your voice chat from console party chat was quite complicated.

There are different models of the elgalto hardware, I went for the HD60 after doing a little research and deciding it was the best for my limited budget.

Hopefully that helps :)
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Thanks for the quick and thorough answer Beck, it helps a lot!

This product seems more or less like what I had in mind. The price is a bit steep, although not completely out of my budget. But there are two things holding me back for now. First is that I don't have an actual PC, only a laptop. I'm worried this might cause compatibility issues in the future. The second is that I'm stumbling about conflicting statements in regard to the device's compatibility with older consoles, like the GameCube for example. Some sources claim it is nearly universally compatible, others say it only works with the consoles listed on the packaging...

Edit: Nevermind, I'm reading about the differences between Capture HD and Capture HD60...

Edit2: It's as I feared... I would have to buy both models to cover my needs, since neither of them seem to be universally compatible. What a shame, it looks really appealing otherwise.
Beck

Post by Beck »

No worries :)

Ah yeah, that could be a problem if you are looking for a scart capture device. The HD 60 is HDMI. I picked up my HD 60 on ebay for nearly half of the price if buying new (£90) and sold it for £85 6 months later. A laptop would probably be enough, there would be a lot of cables mind you. I was finding a 500GB hard drive was enough but it can use a lot of space quickly on the highest settings.

There may be better alternatives out there, Elgalto was one that reviewed well and was within my budget.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I'm currently eyeing the model below it - the Capture HD. It supports both HDMI and Retro input and would allow me to record on almost all of my consoles, although I would sacrifice the 60fps goodness in the process...
Beck

Post by Beck »

Nice, it's a starter for ten before you're a You Tube sensation. You'll have to share your channel :)
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Oh, it's more intended for private use, really. Sorry to ruin the fantasy! :D