ARMS

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Suits

Re: ARMS

Post by Suits »

I've heard via various podcasts that you're unable to curl your punches when you use anything other than the Joy Con's - is this true Stan ??

If so, I'll continue on with the Joy Con's as I think it's such a unique control method, as far that it works and is reliable.

I'm going to play through, or try to at least, a GP a day until I've unlocked all the character endings.

I also have to do at least one more play through to unlock the ability to buy different arm attachments.

Min Min felt good to use, but the way that her Dragon Head arms attack, with a delay, I think made them feel a little disconnected.
James

Post by James »

I have definitely heard that you can do this on Pro Controller. Possibly with the left analogue stick? I can't quite remember.

Unable to check the video as I'm at work, but the title suggests it'll provide the info you need...
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Yeah, you definitely can curve punches, in two different directions, and I find it's very straightforward with the controller. I also find it's more precise (for me, anyway). I think it's probably limited in some way, such as curving two punches simultaneously in different directions and then moving in yet another direction, but to do this with motion controls would require quite a lot of coordination and precision. I also feel it's well beyond me to find any use for such a move. Maybe in 1v1v1 but that's only casual anyway.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Ah, right, thanks for clearing that up guys.

I'm tempted but really like the novelty of the motion controls for now, I'll never get competitive with it, so I'm considering sticking with the motion, especially the movement.

I'll see how I go with it but it's good to know that there's an alternate option.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Stansh - What difficulty are you playing this on man ??
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I played on level 4 just to unlock Ranked. Not done any CPU fights since, all Ranked or Party Mode.

Why, am I even shitter than I assumed? :D
Suits

Post by Suits »

Stanshall wrote: June 21st, 2017, 8:39 pm I played on level 4 just to unlock Ranked. Not done any CPU fights since, all Ranked or Party Mode.

Why, am I even shitter than I assumed? :D
Ha, na man. I'm playing on 2 and it's giving me a good workout - I'm sweating !!

I'm getting through it but Byte & Barc took me three attempts.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Excuse my language but Barc is a little tit. Knock him out ASAP.
Suits

Post by Suits »

:lol:
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Really having a lot of fun with this now. It's interesting how quickly playstyles have developed. I see very very little grab spam and lots of interesting and varied play. I've also felt I'm learning a lot every time I win or lose. I am shit but I'm picking up new ideas all the time. It's so much better than the testpunch.
Suits

Post by Suits »

I keep grabbing way to much, mostly by mistake.

Half of the skill in this I feel is keeping calm and trying not to rush your opponent and go buck wild on them.

It's like a workout for me this game is :lol: , I sweat like mad with motion controls !!
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I find it difficult not to grab with motion controls, especially when I want to throw punches one after another. Definitely agree that it's a game of spatial pressure over all out attack. The tactics are evolving very quickly though at the moment. Really interesting. The most difficult matches I've had are people rushing me and trying to chase me into corners, but keeping some distance too. I've tried to adopt a bit of that with some modest success.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

I got my arse totally handed to me on this last night. Barely even could complete some of the tutorials!
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Definitely takes some getting used to but once it starts to click, it'll feel like a different game.

I wish I'd been told the following advice: throw fewer punches, back off and keeping moving and charging. Give yourself chance to get into the rhythm of the game.
Suits

Post by Suits »

I've had my mother down for the last week, so have been laying off ARMS for the time being but I'm looking forward to working through the rest of the GP as Spring Man, on Level 2 :lol: .

It's good and certainly worth listening to Stansh's advice regards taking your time and choosing when to strike.

Sean - Are you using motion controls ??
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Suits wrote: June 27th, 2017, 12:45 pm I've had my mother down for the last week, so have been laying off ARMS for the time being but I'm looking forward to working through the rest of the GP as Spring Man, on Level 2 :lol: .

It's good and certainly worth listening to Stansh's advice regards taking your time and choosing when to strike.

Sean - Are you using motion controls ??
Not yet no. I fully intend to as I am one of the few people out there who actually think motion controls bring huge benefits to gaming but I only unboxed my Switch at 10pm last night and had a swift go handheld. Plan to connect the dock tonight or tomorrow and try it that way instead. Better?
Suits

Post by Suits »

seansthomas wrote: June 27th, 2017, 6:04 pm Plan to connect the dock tonight or tomorrow and try it that way instead. Better?
Not sure if better per say, as I've not played it with a pad but it certainly adds another level of enjoyment I'd say.

Don't half work up a sweat too :lol: .
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Played this for a few hours this afternoon and I'm just not feeling it at all.

I'll give it more time, but I'm just not enjoying it.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Flabyo wrote: July 1st, 2017, 4:37 pm Played this for a few hours this afternoon and I'm just not feeling it at all.

I'll give it more time, but I'm just not enjoying it.
Wasn't sure about it at first either but now I've started to watch the fights more and be less manic, it's really getting it's claws into me.

Little touches such as leaving your punches until the split second you hit the ground so they're super charged, feigned dodges and moving just as your opponent unleashes their super all make it a far more tactical battle than initial impressions suggest. And I don't even like fighting games!
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Well, following the Kotaku article linked on the C&R FB page, I have had a good think about ARMS over the past couple of days. While I initially bristled at the Kotaku criticism ("excellent mini game/prototype stretched out too thinly in every respect"), and while I do really enjoy the game, ultimately, I think it's a pretty reasonable assessment.

It's sold reasonably well (13th highest so far on the system) but I can't help but feel it's not really caught on and most folk seem to have dropped it quite promptly for Splatoon 2, if they even bought it in the first place. Considering how much Nintendo have been pushing it since the initial Switch reveal, it is does seem to be underperforming. Without being too bloggy, I'm going to outline the reasons why, in my opinion:

- Unlike Mario Kart and Splatoon, it doesn't adhere to the classic Nintendo 'easy to pick up, difficult to master' maxim. In my experience, the first few hours with the game were often very frustrating, interspersed with moments where I seemed to get the principles and have some sense of success. Essentially, I persisted because I have faith in Nintendo and because I accepted that something new would require a bit of adaptation, rather than because I was especially enjoying it. I don't think everyone is such a committed Nintendo apologist! :) Which leads me to...

- The Test Punches. If there were ever a game which would benefit from 'try before you buy', it's ARMS. At the same time, if there were ever a game which could kill your enthusiasm stone dead in five minutes, it's ARMS. I know that it was equally a network test but after the initial amusement of mashing punches in a variety of chaotic modes, I just wanted five minutes to practise by myself and get a feel for it. It also emerged that grab spam was a shortcut to victory at this beginner level and most fights quickly devolved in that direction. I didn't even bother with the last couple of sessions, I just decided to wait for the full release when I could focus on 1v1. The test punches did not show the game at its best. And again, while this is purely subjective and anecdotal, I saw a lot of people saying that their enthusiasm and interest had disappeared. I completely understand why.

- It takes time to enjoy it and to learn how to 'play properly'; what you see is not what you get. Perhaps you can make this first judgement of any game but it's especially relevant for a first party Nintendo title marketed as 'wacky motion control fighting with your mates'. Whether or not they simply fell short of the mark with the fun factor, or if they were deliberately misleading (!), it is quite a sober, patient and attritional fighting game despite the larger-than-life concept and visuals.

- It's a bit pedestrian. Without rehashing the comments made in the Kotaku article, it's a very one-paced game with few considerations or opportunities for risk:reward. It's also very slow. While it can be very satisfying and tense to play and to out-think your opponent, almost every moment of every fight is played at a similar range, with similar baiting and dodging tactics. Compare and contrast to Ultra Street Fighter 2, which I played against a mate a few nights ago, two hours of Ryu vs Ken with both of us constantly mixing up our tactics from turtling and projectile spacing to mid range footsies and to full-on unpredictable rushdown shenanigans, adapting to each other's style round by round. There's none of this in ARMS and I couldn't imagine playing against a mate for much more than twenty minutes.

Well, that ultimately seems like a pretty brutal assessment but I do really enjoy ARMS in moderate bursts and I'd love it to develop further. I think the core concept is really cool and curving punches and setting up your opponent with some mind games can be a hell of a lot of fun. So what does the game need, in my opinion, to take it to a bigger audience?

- First thing I'd do is inject some pace. I'd speed it up in every respect. Add light/heavy punches. Perhaps uncharged punches could be considerably quicker and shorter range to encourage their use, or perhaps tap & hold would work fine to choose the type of punch. I'd also make ground speed faster for all characters so movement is not a constant dash fest.

- I'd also change the arm length more significantly for different characters, not just for different arms. That way, the spacing game would be a constant point of tactical tension. That said, the light attacks would allow any player to fight their way out at shorter range, until they were able to return to their comfort zone.

- Slightly controversial but I'd put grab on a cool down or significantly reduce the damage it does. While fighting games are technically in the vein of rock, paper, scissors, grab/throw should not be used as much as punches and blocks, in my opinion. In ARMS, almost any missed attack can be punished with a grab, which strongly encourages a more patient, defensive, cautious, baity playstyle. If I'm ever close to losing, I know my best chance is to not throw any punches and just try to dodge/grab, which is boring as hell for everyone. I've won many matches like this.

I doubt any of these changes will be made until a possible sequel. I just hope we do end up getting one because it's very nearly a brilliant game, it just needs some refinement.

Anyone got any thoughts?