Independent Video Game Stores

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Independent Video Game Stores

Post by ratsoalbion »

Excellent. Out of curiosity, what were the winning eleven?
Suits

Post by Suits »

ratsoalbion wrote: November 2nd, 2017, 9:33 pm Excellent. Out of curiosity, what were the winning eleven?
All pretty uninspiring stuff really, however Defender looks wicked so I'm looking forward to that and I remember Minority Report being pretty fun back in the day. Just happy to find some games I need though.

I'm going to give them all a quick spin over the weekend.

• Mario Dance
  • Medal Of Honour Rising Sun
  • Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow
  • Driven
  • Sonic Heroes
  • Defender
  • 2002 FIFA World Cup
  • Minority Report
  • Bloodrayne
  • Black & Bruised
  • Beach Spikers
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I'd forgotten some of those even existed. Nice haul.
Would probably recommend playing FIFA 18 over WC 2002 though! :D
Suits

Post by Suits »

ratsoalbion wrote: November 2nd, 2017, 9:56 pm Would probably recommend playing FIFA 18 over WC 2002 though! :D
Sports simulation games show their age terribly :lol: .

I have both the ISS games on the GameCube, I forgot how bad those games were compared to the Evolution series :shock: .
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Bloodrayne I remember really enjoying on the PC when it came out years back - not sure how the GC port fares but it was a decent game.

This GameCube talk makes me want to go and play XIII again. Been meaning to go back to that for years!
Suits

Post by Suits »

On a recent trip to Brighton for the Eurogamer Pub Quiz, I had a few hours to kill after getting down there, so myself and my travelling companion made plans to visit the local independent game store.

Ninja Game Den is an independent game shop that caters for current gen to retro systems, as well as PC games and DVD’s. It also has a dedicated import section, which had some very fairly priced pieces.

Run by a very friendly chap called Rob, who previously used to work in the store when it was under a different guise, took the opportunity to take it over and run it himself when it came up for sale last year.

He was more than happy to chat shop, show us his newest additions, his rarest, strangest things as well as items that he didn’t have any idea on how to price !!

We spent about 2 hours in there looking through each section and both picked up a few items.

I grabbed 6 GameCube titles that I needed, as well as Rampage on the Master System and a beautiful Bart vs The Space Mutants on the NES.

Rob also let me have a dig through his box of manuals and empty boxes if there was anything I needed and hooked me up with a replacement Super Mario Bros. 2 manual – which was wicked.

Another positive – it was crazy busy !! There were too young lads in there who had pooled their cash and were debating on whether to get a Dreamcast, or a Mega Drive, I had to admit I was jealous of the adventure that they were about to embark on.

I took a few snaps of the place, as it was a little cool place of independent sweetness.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

This is very near where I live and I pop in regularly, as I have done for years under its previous guise(s).

It's taken me pleasantly by surprise as to how it's burgeoning from an indie CEX into a worthwhile retro emporium.

Thankyou Suits for highlighting to me just how far it's come along with these snaps and your enthusiasm.
I shall be sure to continue to support the endeavour when I can.

I also must get talking to the proprietor about Cane and Rinse, see if we can do some cross-promotion...
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

That looks bloody wonderful. Very well ordered too! The proprietor obviously takes great pride in his shop. Also good to hear it's so well patronised.

I would genuinely be in that shop every day if it in my neck of the woods!
Suits

Post by Suits »

ratsoalbion wrote: February 1st, 2018, 2:20 pm I also must get talking to the proprietor about Cane and Rinse, see if we can do some cross-promotion...
He was well keen, at one point Dan and myself had to sadly dissuade him from being able to join our team in the quiz :lol: .

He seemed genuinely interested about C&R though and loved the idea of a modern discussion-based podcast covering all games.

Like I said, he was a super friendly guy :) .
Suits

Post by Suits »

Sinclair Gregstrum wrote: February 1st, 2018, 2:44 pm I would genuinely be in that shop every day if it in my neck of the woods!
I go to my local now about once a month, you get quickly in tune with the stock and it becomes a bit samey.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Suits wrote: February 1st, 2018, 1:42 pm I grabbed 6 GameCube titles that I needed
Sweet, which ones?
Suits

Post by Suits »

KSubzero1000 wrote: February 2nd, 2018, 10:44 am
Suits wrote: February 1st, 2018, 1:42 pm I grabbed 6 GameCube titles that I needed
Sweet, which ones?
Ah, nothing special mate, just some commons that I needed.

Sum of all Fears
UFC:Throwdown
The Sims 2
Universal Studios Theme Park Adventure
Knockout Kings 2003
Top Gun - Combat Zones

Still cool though, as it's getting hard locally to find things that I don't have, so finding anything is a plus :) .
Suits

Post by Suits »

Got a text from my mate last night who owns The Retro Hunter shop in Essex.

He’s just secured a deal on over 100 GameCube games.

He’s given me first pickings on them, so I’m hoping to get the number I still need down some.

I’ve fallen behind on the GameCube stuff of late, it’s uninspiring when the majority of the titles you need are generally sports/movie fodder.
Suits

Post by Suits »

The Retro Hunter Delivered.

Of his 131 GameCube games traded in in a super bundle, I need 16 of them.

That’s a great return.

Mary Kate and Ashley - Welcome to the collection !!!
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

How big is the list of games you need? I’d be happy to keep an eye out if you want to share it. I don’t have many GameCube games aside from the obvious popular games but I have a few that are bargain bin fodder that I’d be happy to send you.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Also, send him all the Pippa Funnell games you have, save him some time in 20 years ;)
Suits

Post by Suits »

Simonsloth wrote: November 28th, 2018, 4:10 pm How big is the list of games you need? I’d be happy to keep an eye out if you want to share it. I don’t have many GameCube games aside from the obvious popular games but I have a few that are bargain bin fodder that I’d be happy to send you.
Oh, that’s very kind of you.

Well, I have 63 left to find.

Things are getting tricky to track down now, sometimes I find them on eBay but sometimes they go way over what I’m willing to pay for them.

Most of the things I need are naff sports titles or late run children’s games unfortunately.

It might be easier if you let me know what you have, as opposed to me typing my list into my phone :lol: not sure my thumbs can take it !!
Suits

Post by Suits »

Chopper wrote: November 28th, 2018, 4:16 pm Also, send him all the Pippa Funnell games you have, save him some time in 20 years ;)
Ooooooo, no Pippa Funnel on the GameCube I’m afraid :lol: .
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Haha!

Well I just spotted the majority of the games I’d be happy to part with in your posts above.

I’d been trying to get rid of top gun for ages.

I was thinking more if I find myself in a game shop in the back of the beyond I’d keep an eye out for any on your list but I’ll post on here later with the few I have that I can’t see you’ve posted.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Cool man, I’ll type up the list and PM it too you 8-) .

My little list also has a guideline price that I’m happy to pay for said game - as it’s easy to forget what Spongebob:Revenge of the Flying Dutchman is worth :lol: .