All things DOOM

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Suits

Re: Doom (Switch Edition)

Post by Suits »

For the first time ever, Nintendo has failed to deliver a pre-ordered game to me on release day.

Thankfully, it’s one I’ve already Rinsed on another platform, so I won’t be running to Argos tonight but it still means those beers and pizza will be without a new cartridge.

Maybe I’ll watch some Stranger Things 2 instead :( .
Sean

Post by Sean »

Killzone Mercenary was a fantastic handheld FPS, but, that game was designed, specifically for a handheld platform. I'm sure they made some concessions, but, DOOM was not originally made to be played in your hands. I guess you technically could with remote play on Vita, but, it clearly was designed to be played with a controller on a big screen.

That all being said, that sucks to hear you aren't enjoying it. I love that game and was interested in the idea of playing it in bed, but, I can see where it wouldn't really fit the platform.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

I've bought it anyway! So we'll see.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

KSubzero1000 wrote: November 10th, 2017, 1:11 pm There is this general, borderline cultural conception floating around about the value and importance of hybrid devices. I think it's a very misleading one and that concerns about their innate drawbacks are too often being dismissed as a result. People rush to buy the latest smartphone claiming to combine 54 different devices into one, only to later realize that it simply won't have the portability of conventional MP3 players, the picture quality of a digital camera, or even just the robust reliability of old-school dumbphones, for example. I think the Switch marketing tapped right into that mindset, with adverts mostly focusing on the multi-functionality of the device. I don't know how people were expecting it to work in practice...
I'll tell you one thing though: I refuse to play any fighting game on a handheld device, but I will play them on Switch. Partly because it's a hybrid console and I can actually play the games on the big screen with a controller that's disattached and can be held separately from the device... but also because in portable mode, you can put the screen up on a table in a cafe or whatever and play with disattached controllers. That's a bit of a draw for me, actually.
Suits

Post by Suits »

My wife was in hospital for a few days after our first child was born.

During this time I played quite a bit of Ultimate Street Fighter 2 on the Switch, in full handheld mode.

To this day, I can’t beat the scores I set in full handheld mode :lol: .
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Updated updated opinion:

In short, I do think this is playable in handheld, though it took me a little while to get used to it. For existing fans of the game, I think that's quite possibly going to be enough. It's Doom 2016, on a handheld, and it works.

That said, I think my initial reservations are fair. It's obviously impressive that this full fat console experience is there on a Nintendo handheld sandwiched between Picross and Puyo Puyo Tetris, but it also confirms my suspicions about porting multiplat titles: The Switch - and handheld gaming - is always going to be best with stylised graphics and vivid colours.
Suits

Post by Suits »

I'll chip in with a few early thoughts too, after this arrived early doors this morning and I've given it a good poke around.

Worth noting that I've beaten the game on hard, found all the secrets and beaten all of the challenges on the Xbox One version last year, so I'm naturally using that experience as a benchmark.

Controls
Fine, perfectly fine. I'd heard that people weren't too happy with the short throw of the JoyCon analogue sticks, which seemed fair to expect but I don't have a problem.

I adjusted the sensitivity of the sticks, I set horizontal to 35% and Vertical to match but then dropped vertical to 15% and I feel much happier with it like this.

Docked, with a Pro-Controller is great :lol: , very good, feels very natural and performs as I'd expect. The only personal issue I have is that I use an Elite Controller on my Xbox and had jump and melee (glory Kill) mapped to my rear paddles so as my muscle memory kicked in, I felt myself reaching for these at times. I soon got used to it though and it felt fine.

Performance
Solid, only seen a slight drop, where I ran through the first level quiet a way, turned around and fought a few enemies. To be honest, it was hardly noticeable but it is there if you tease it.

Sound isn't anything like the Xbox version, I'm using the same amp and speakers, yet the audio quality on the Xbox console is far superior. Handlheld mode is cool, you get the experience but less rich. For something with such a glorious sound and score, it's a shame but inevitable on such a versatile piece of hardware. Headphones are the way to go in handheld mode, perhaps obviously.

Graphics

Handheld - The resolution is a lot lower, much lower. Text on the mini map is almost an issue to read for me and I feel like I want to lean into the Switch's screen to get a more comfortable view. In fast motion play, it's less of an issue but something that is still noticeable to quite large degree I think. It's a shame but understandable.

I switched off motion blur, it was confusing my eyes I thought, perhaps this is what Stanshall was experiencing earlier too. Personally, I find it better with that setting totally off, as opposed to Low, Medium or High.

There is texture load in, however because of the low resolution it's not alway noticeable :lol: , so it works better in that regards as opposed to the Xbox version, which suffered quite a bit with this.

TV mode is better but unsurprisingly still not up to scratch with the current gen consoles, it looked fine, just not as good as the Xbox. Mars staggering me on the Xbox, I remember pausing and looking at the sky box and thinking YES, the Switch just looks competent, a bit - flat.

If you have the option to play this on a Xbox or PS4, then choose that version I'd say, it'll be a much better overall experience. I have a friend who missed this on Xbox and is tempted to get it on the Switch to try it - I'm going to try and convince him to play it on the Xbox, for a richer experience.

If the Switch version is your only option, then I'd expect peoples opinions of it would differ to those that have played it on other systems.

Who is this version for then, I'd say people like me, who have played the game before, know its qualities and wouldn't mind another taste. I'm enjoying it all over again. How they've got this running on a Switch still surprises me, now having the product in my hand - it impresses me.

Much like seeing your favourite film at the IMAX, then watching it on the TV at home, you'll put up with the sub par sound and advert breaks for other benefits but you understand there's a richer experience to be had.

Playing this again, I found myself drawn totally back into it agin, jumping from kill to kill and racing around the levels.

It's such a good game.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

There’s also the fact that if you can play this on XBO or PS4, it can be found for a third of the cost of the Switch version. Or less.

So I’d say the only reason to go switch for it is if you have no other means to play it, or if the portability aspect is really important to you.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I'm certainly glad I got it from the South African eShop and saved fifteen quid, but still, I'd take the refund if it were available. My own stupid fault for rejecting physical on the Switch.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Personally I have no interest in returning this game for the Swicth but I understand everyone will have varying ideas and priorities when it comes down to things like this.

It is priced very high when you compare it to the other systems. I think, at one point, you could get this on Xbox for under £10.

I paid £49.99 with a free t shirt from Nintendo for the physical version - and it was a day late.

I’m not going to say it’s worth it but I’m enjoying it soooo much, it’s easily one of the best games I’ve played in recent years.

It also NAILS the Switch battery life. I’m already on my 2nd charge.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

I love it! Mainly because I've played it for nearly 2 hours and thus far none of the motion sickness I got from the PS4 version!
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Still waiting for my copy to arrive. Amazon sent it out 3 or 4 days back but no show yet..
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Put 3 hours into this last night. Have no frame of reference bar some comparison images on DF but it looks and plays brilliantly so far. Very, very slight slowdown once when I had a horde of 12 or so enemies attacking me last night but, so far, it's been amazing docked. Can't believe this is running on a tablet the size of an A6 envelope.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Having turned off chromatic aberration and motion blur and played with the controls, and having pumped a furious hour into the One X version, I've come back to this and I can see how good it is. I think part of my initial barrier was that it is just a bloody fast and chaotic game, anyway. I didn't really have that frame of reference, nor mechanical experience with it. Now I get that it's got a 'front foot flow', like, constantly on the aggressive. GET! SOME! YOU DEMON FUCKS! It's awesome.

It is much better on the big screen and on a heftier console, obviously, but it's very playable on the Switch and an impressive achievement.

*hands up*
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Stanshall wrote: November 14th, 2017, 10:58 am I've come back to this and I can see how good it is. I think part of my initial barrier was that it is just a bloody fast and chaotic game, anyway. I didn't really have that frame of reference, nor mechanical experience with it. Now I get that it's got a 'front foot flow', like, constantly on the aggressive. GET! SOME! YOU DEMON FUCKS! It's awesome.
I played this recently for the first time as well, and it did take me a little while to get into the flow of the gameplay due to, as you put it, not having that frame of reference either. I ended up counting it as one of my favorite FPSs ever, and I'm very glad to hear you're enjoying it too. :)
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

It's friggin' amazing. Even though I prefer the tactile feeling of a controller and trigger buttons above how a mouse and keyboard feels for FPSes, I can't imagine playing an FPS this fast and furious with anything but a mouse and keyboard. Another reason why I wouldn't want to play this on Switch.

I keep playing the game, dropping it for something else (games for the CaR podcast, mainly) and returning to it. I've now hit a bump late in the game where I'm facing off against 2 pinky demons and 1 Mancubus in a relatively confined space. You concentrate on playing matador with 1 charging pinky and the other rams you in the back. Meanwhile, that tough bastard of a Mancubus slowly inches closer and pelts you with flame rounds. What a nightmare, but I'll persevere!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Michiel K wrote: November 24th, 2017, 7:50 pm It's friggin' amazing. Even though I prefer the tactile feeling of a controller and trigger buttons above how a mouse and keyboard feels for FPSes, I can't imagine playing an FPS this fast and furious with anything but a mouse and keyboard. Another reason why I wouldn't want to play this on Switch.
You know what? I played the PS4 version and had zero controls-related issues. Everything felt smooth and responsive, and that even without the kind of aim assist you find in titles like Halo or CoD. I'm sure the PC version is even better, objectively speaking, but these are actually some of the best FPS controls I've ever experienced on console.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Yeah, I’m down with mouse and keys myself but DOOM was clearly designed with controller at least equally in mind.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I think the reason why the controls work so well on a controller is due to two main factors:

- The enemies are mostly large and /or have easily readable movement patterns. It's very rare to outright lose sight of any given enemy, thanks in part to the fantastic sound design.

- The combat is more movement-focused than most other shooters which tend to over-emphasize raw aim in comparison. And movement is actually one of the control elements that work better on a controller, because an analogue stick allows for more precise input than a basic WASD setup.

That's my take on it, anyway.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Interesting to hear and I can see what you mean, guys. It will be very weird for me to start playing this with a controller now in any case, as I'm so much accustomed to playing it with mouse and keyboard...

I guess the aim turning speed of a mouse, coupled with its accuracy in terms of you being able to stop your aim dead where you want it to be, even if you just gave it a big ol' jerk to the left or right, is where you get that edge in this style of FPS.