All things DOOM

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
NokkonWud

Re: DooM - All things DooM

Post by NokkonWud »

dezm0nd wrote:I think you've just found out idsoftwares new game! WooD.
Woo'd, where the aim of the game is to make a woman fall in love with you. It's a bit different from their usual kind of game, although I'm sure the threat of a Double-Barrel Shotgun would certainly speed proceedings along.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Having played both Doom 1 and 2 on Ultra Violent within the last few years I am most excited for the BFG Edition and do the same with 3. I wasn't overly fond of it when it first came out but I'm wondering if that was purely a hype/expectations thing.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

My first experience playing DOOM was on the PS1 and thoroughly enjoyed them at the time. I bought DOOM 3 on the Xbox during its first week of release, yet never finished it. I wanted to play it in co-op but the mechanic of one having to hold the bloody torch while the other got to wield the gun pissed us both off whilst playing. I can't remember precisely as to why we never carried on with it at the time - I suspect something else came out around the time that pulled us away from the game never to return.

Unless it's been disabled the original Doom 3 was playable on the 360 so I may put this back in and see how it holds up.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

In this BFG Edition they've fixed the whole 'flashlight or shoot' situation, mercifully.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Yeah it was a bit ridiculous to have either your gun or torch out at any one time. I see it from a tension point of view but it just didn't make sense nor lend itself very well to fun gameplay.

There was a 'duct tape' mod for the PC version back in the day but I had long since finished it by then.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

dezm0nd wrote:Yeah it was a bit ridiculous to have either your gun or torch out at any one time. I see it from a tension point of view but it just didn't make sense nor lend itself very well to fun gameplay.

There was a 'duct tape' mod for the PC version back in the day but I had long since finished it by then.
It was a technical limitation at the time, not an intended design feature (which I actually liked), so that's why it's been changed in the BFG edition.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Weird, I always saw it as a design feature not a tech limitation. I grew to deal with it but it just felt poor when compared to other games with light sourcing and guns going kablow!
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

dezm0nd wrote:Weird, I always saw it as a design feature not a tech limitation. I grew to deal with it but it just felt poor when compared to other games with light sourcing and guns going kablow!
It was advertised as such but it's since come out years after the release that even John Carmack couldn't get that working (but he did make Doom 3 the most beautiful game ever made at the time.)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Technically impressive, cutting edge, no doubt. "Beautiful" though, not for me. Artistically or subjectively.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I remember Doom 3 getting a lot of shit for "monster closets" but really, that's the most faithful thing the game did when you compare it to previous doom games. Genuinely looking forward to replaying it with a level head about it all now.
catbhoy

Post by catbhoy »

Loving playing through Doom3 again, great memories of the entire series.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Yeah, I'm really enjoying the game moreso than I remember before. Playing on Veteran adds a level of tension on top of the incredibly atmospheric level design.

Holds up pretty well, it does!
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

It's only just hit me how much Doom 3 is like the original Half Life.

The intro is almost the same as Black Mesa with a guy heading into work before hell arrives. Seamlessly joined levels until the end before you're teleported to a weird final chapter. Xen/Hell.

I do feel kinda stupid for not realising it earlier but that's pretty incredible that Half Life can do that to a series as legendary as Doom. Also, the health recharge stations in Doom aren't fun as Half Lifes. :P
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

dezm0nd wrote:It's only just hit me how much Doom 3 is like the original Half Life.

The intro is almost the same as Black Mesa with a guy heading into work before hell arrives. Seamlessly joined levels until the end before you're teleported to a weird final chapter. Xen/Hell.

I do feel kinda stupid for not realising it earlier but that's pretty incredible that Half Life can do that to a series as legendary as Doom. Also, the health recharge stations in Doom aren't fun as Half Lifes. :P
Nothing in that game is as fun as Half-Life did it. But yes, it had a huge impact on it, but then it had a huge impact on every FPS after it's release. Half Life is one of the few games to revolutionise FPS gaming (alongside Quake and Halo for me)
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Only negatives I'd say are the load times take a while, as does the time taken while saving your game. Other than that, it's great to be playing this again.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Activate snob mode. PC version has quicker loads blah blah blah. Deactivate snob mode.

Finished it today and really enjoyed it. The added difficulty of Veteran never felt cheap and forced me to hunt for goodies from the lockers. Played it with an Xbox pad, too!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Nothing snobbish about reporting the facts, dez. I think there's no doubt that if you have the kit the PC version is the one to go for. It's cheaper too.
Plus of course, you can still get the original, un-tampered with version of DOOM 3 on Steam (and then mod the shit out of it if you want)!
:D 8-)
catbhoy

Post by catbhoy »

AndyKurosaki wrote:Only negatives I'd say are the load times take a while, as does the time taken while saving your game. Other than that, it's great to be playing this again.
yeah its a tad slow, but not compared to duke nukem forever, the slowest times ever.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

A little Steam-based DOOM 3 controversy: http://www.edge-online.com/news/doom-3- ... rom-steam/
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

ratsoalbion wrote:A little Steam-based DOOM 3 controversy: http://www.edge-online.com/news/doom-3- ... rom-steam/
Gaming equivalent of Greedo shooting first?