Monster Hunter: World

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Stanshall

Re: Monster Hunter: World

Post by Stanshall »

Well, I'm hooked.

I do understand why they couldn't bring this to the Switch but I really really wish I had it with me at all times. I'm sure there are lots of simplifications which irk the purists but this is the marvellously streamlined version of Monster Hunter I've always wanted. I remember posting, possibly in this thread, about how I found certain weapons lacked weight and impact in Generations but I can't possibly say that here. There is little as satisfying as getting a full overhead combo with the hammer, delivered directly to the skull. You feel like you've done a hell of a lot of work for your team in about five brutal seconds, each hitting harder than the last. BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAMM BLAMMM BLAMMMM
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

I'm enjoying this a lot. Have opened the second area but not gone there yet as I'm enjoying doing the sidequests in the Ancient Forest and beating up on the lesser monsters there. Most of yesterday's session was spent upgrading my bone hatchets due to a misunderstanding about Monster Bone M. I like the way it doesn't tell you what you need to upgrade a weapon until you actually possess the materials, interesting approach.

Next objective is to learn to capture a monster, so I'll be doing that tonight. I'm liking the grind so far. Whether that survives encounters with stronger monsters, I don't know.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

I think the monster designs are getting better and better with each new entry. It's weird seeing an older design like Diablos compared with the newer monsters. Rathalos and Rathian are still stone cold classics, but Diablos feels like a mess of different influences now. Whereas Anjanath, Tobi-Kadachi, Odogaron, Legiana, etc are all great, simple designs. There are some other favourites from 3 and 4 Ultimate I want to make appearance via DLC, but happy to see that pretty much all the new kids are now favourites of mine.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Well, I've had the spreadsheet out and ascertained that I could do 7.4% more damage per 100 hits by using the Rending Beaks I instead of the Bone Hatchets III, despite the latter's higher base damage. To say nothing of the sharpness benefits.

I am doing no work this morning.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Palicos are too pure for this world man, we dont deserve them.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

While Monster Hunter's story and lore isnt really the appeal of the game I would say, I stumbled upon this very cool video about one of the regions in Monster Hunter World, pretty neat stuff:

JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Just thought I'd pop into this thread to say how much I'm loving this incredible game, so much so that when I'm not editing podcasts my free time is being spent immersing myself in this world! :D
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

It is brilliant. It amazes me how much they've changed, while not losing what makes MH great.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Some minor trophy spoilers in the below:

https://twitter.com/MOOMANiBE/status/964681077108260864

Interesting tweet about an incredible 60% of players reaching high rank in Monster Hunter. I enjoy the story achievements/trophies sometimes tell about a game, and this is pretty impressive.
Baron Phil

Post by Baron Phil »

Finally picked Monster Hunter up today. Its my first MH but after loving what I played in the beta I'm looking forward to this.

Thankfully it seems like a lot of people are still playing it.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Baron Phil wrote: February 22nd, 2018, 5:58 pm Finally picked Monster Hunter up today. Its my first MH but after loving what I played in the beta I'm looking forward to this.

Thankfully it seems like a lot of people are still playing it.
We are! If you're on the PS4 send me a FR and I'll get you in the squad (although it requires you to join the same session in order to get an invite). PSN - Krylon70 - this is an open offer to anyone looking for squads on the PS4
Baron Phil

Post by Baron Phil »

Thanks Jay. I'll get one sent across tonight when I'm on.
Baron Phil

Post by Baron Phil »

Well, I've hit my wall in the form of Diablos but I'm still loving this game.

I'm 30 hours in and pulled of a combo last night that I have never done before, so maybe it's time to learn what my weapon can actually do. I've also been shirking the side quests in an attempt to get to a high enough rank to do the Horizon quest, so I've got plenty to do before I face Diablos again.

Of course I know that if needed the CaR squad will be happy to help me out.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Baron Phil wrote: March 8th, 2018, 10:18 am Of course I know that if needed the CaR squad will be happy to help me out.
For sure! Those Diablos have definitely caused us some stress whilst playing so if anyone needs a hand, just holler!