GOTY 2017

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
macstat

Re: GOTY 2017

Post by macstat »

In no particular order:

Hollow Knight - Probably least expected game I fell in love with. I don't play Metroidvania games, I don't like games where I try to beat one boss over and over again (like in dark souls) or where story is vague and you have to work for it (again like in dark souls). But amazing art style, mood and well story kept me going ... and after I while i "got gud"

Horizon Zero Dawn - probably best assassins creed game this year. I would love to play it on PC! It's not very revolutionary (but no game like that is today) but everything it does is top notch.

Pyre - not much to say. I love every game from that developer. They always make something unique, both in gameplay and as a story in an interesting setting. Oh and that music ...

HellBlade - This is more of an interactive art project than a game. But at the same time, it may have most to say or show players. It's not a pleasant experience, but it's not supposed to be. Its perfect use of binaural audio and imagery may be one of closest things to how people with schizophrenia see the world around them.

Sexy Brutale - amazing puzzle game that brings back the memories of Spy vs Spy. You navigate big mansion trying to solve and stop murders. Music is great, art style colorful but also creepy, and "groundhog day" like mechanic encourages you to explore and learn what guests do and figure out how you can stop them from dying.

Divinity Original SIn 2 - the latest addition to my list. This might be one of best classical RPGs ever made. Not many games manage to do player development outside of combat meaningful. Here you can give your ranger "pet pal" trait so he can talk to animals, or use a teleport spell to navigate ramparts of a castle instead storming it head on. At the same time, combat is very complex and rewarding (elements have cool interactions like don't stand in water and cast lightning )

Torment : Tides of Numenara - while this one wasn't universally loved (and it was expected, Planescape Torment left big shoes to fill) i found this one more than satisfying. While combat was a bit weird and unnecessarily complicated, world building and stories you got to experience in this game were on par with old Torment. Really great game

Tacoma - this might be the best walking simulator I have played. It's on the short side, but the story is very good, and holo-logs that you can rewind at will and see the story unfold in different angles is a really great mechanic.

Endless Space 2 - great 4X game that besides expected military/economical complexity adds a huge story-driven layer of gameplay.